Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

lfield posted:

Nah, this makes it seem as though the blame is equal, or that their offences were equivalent in some way.

Clarkson was late because he was off getting pissed somewhere. The kitchen closed, so it was on the crew to find food for the big drunken baby once he got back. They did, he just didn't liiiiike that food and he wanted the steeeeeak, waaaah, so he threw a tantrum and hit someone and shouted until he got his way.

The producer committed the crime of not psychically anticipating which menu item his drunk baby coworker would start mewling for once he got back.

It wasn't on the crew, it was on the producer. And the producer has a duty to make sure talent is fed. Again, I don't worry about getting fed even if my department is wrapped for the day. It's someone else's job to make sure there's food on the table for me. And if it's a long day, like I'm sure it was for the Top Gear crew, it needs to be hot food.

Offering up cold cuts to talent as a meal at the end of a shoot doesn't loving cut it as a producer. Any producer worth his salt would have had another plan after realizing the kitchen was going to close for the night. It's his job, and on a film set more than anywhere else, you're expected to be prepared and ready to do your job.

Cubey posted:

But they had a plan. This was not a case of the film crew taking too long, this was not a shoot that went overtime, this was someone not doing what had been arranged ahead of time. How do you plan for someone who ignores what he was supposed to have done?

I don't know, maybe you talk to the talent and make sure they don't expect you to have food when they come back. Or if they do, then you come up with a way to get it for them? Or if they don't answer their phone, expect that they probably will want food since its your job to provide it? Picking up a phone and dialing a list of restaurants and placing and picking up a to-go order isn't that loving hard compared to the other poo poo producers have to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The truth comes out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLRna0RRvxo

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

See above. I just find the entire debate of IT SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED to be kinda amusing. You're right, it shouldn't have. But it did, and it still does in many other areas. And likely will continue to, no matter how many angry posts or arguments about it being wrong one might make. People are loving stupid and do stupid poo poo.

That is not what I'm arguing about, either. I'm arguing with people who honestly believe that abuse is acceptable in media production because of appeals to tradition and 'That's how its always been', which is a loving awful arguing point.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

CommieGIR posted:

That is not what I'm arguing about, either. I'm arguing with people who honestly believe that abuse is acceptable in media production because of appeals to tradition and 'That's how its always been', which is a loving awful arguing point.

Personally, I think more jobs need to let you bring out the whip and give subordinates lashings for fuckups. Didn't finish your project on time and cost the company a big contract? 10 lashings for you!

Or keelhauling. Keelhauling needs to make a comeback.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

T1g4h posted:

Personally, I think more jobs need to let you bring out the whip and give subordinates lashings for fuckups. Didn't finish your project on time and cost the company a big contract? 10 lashings for you!

It would make the DoD a little more efficient, as long as we get to whip Lockheed/Boeing/etc. Executives for budget overruns.

Also, here, let Jeremy settle this debate FOR you:

http://jalopnik.com/clarkson-leave-oisin-alone-none-of-this-is-his-fault-1693863956

quote:

Jeremy Clarkson has said that he wants people to stop blaming the producer he hit for his departure from Top Gear.
Oisin Tymon has been the subject of threats on social media.
Mr Clarkson told reporters that it was not the producer's fault, but did not respond to a question about whether he was worried about being arrested.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 26, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Please explain to me how you explain to a drunk person that you have a plan B when they are set on Plan A and have commenced in a tirade of verbal and physical assault.
"Look, it's ok, we'll sort it out, alright? Just let me make some phone calls" advancing to "I'm bigger than you and not in the mood for your poo poo" if necessary.

Not helpful to the situation or the thread, but you did ask.

lfield
May 10, 2008
A grip forgot to say 'bless you' after Clarkson sneezed, so Jeremy sucked out one of his eyeballs and stamped on it. The DP didn't hold a door for him one time; lost two fingers. But what can I tell you, kid - *lifts both eyepatches with few remaining fingers, revealing only empty voids* - welcome to the real world.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Viper_3000 posted:

It wasn't on the crew, it was on the producer. And the producer has a duty to make sure talent is fed. Again, I don't worry about getting fed even if my department is wrapped for the day. It's someone else's job to make sure there's food on the table for me. And if it's a long day, like I'm sure it was for the Top Gear crew, it needs to be hot food.

Offering up cold cuts to talent as a meal at the end of a shoot doesn't loving cut it as a producer. Any producer worth his salt would have had another plan after realizing the kitchen was going to close for the night. It's his job, and on a film set more than anywhere else, you're expected to be prepared and ready to do your job.

You keep ignoring that they hosed off to the pub. Sorry, dude, but producers don't have to wipe the rear end of talent at the end of the day. If talent fucks off to get piss drunk, it's really not on the producer to continue to babysit them. Do you think this would still be true if they'd come back at 2:00 AM?

And if there is a cock up, of a normal hot meal? That happens. Normal talent takes it in stride. Sometimes the per diem isn't ready, sometimes the food gets hosed up. Sometimes the car is late. Producers aren't superhumans who can bend the universe to their will. I had to get chicken for Jack Black once, and the chicken from his favorite place wasn't available. Instead, I got him a sandwich. He didn't flip his poo poo and start punching me because he's a professional. If he had punched me, it would have been a gigantic deal, I would have sued, and nobody would have been like "But the guy got the wrong chicken, what a fuckup'.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

I think I read before that Jeremy and Oisin got on well before. I'm sure he realizes that the kid doesn't deserve the internet hate that he's getting and wants to try to help defuse it because he's actually not a horrible human being without any feelings or empathy.

In other news, I miss posting in AI but I now drive a very boring dad car.

Obdicut posted:

You keep ignoring that they hosed off to the pub. Sorry, dude, but producers don't have to wipe the rear end of talent at the end of the day. If talent fucks off to get piss drunk, it's really not on the producer to continue to babysit them. Do you think this would still be true if they'd come back at 2:00 AM?

And if there is a cock up, of a normal hot meal? That happens. Normal talent takes it in stride. Sometimes the per diem isn't ready, sometimes the food gets hosed up. Sometimes the car is late. Producers aren't superhumans who can bend the universe to their will. I had to get chicken for Jack Black once, and the chicken from his favorite place wasn't available. Instead, I got him a sandwich. He didn't flip his poo poo and start punching me because he's a professional. If he had punched me, it would have been a gigantic deal, I would have sued, and nobody would have been like "But the guy got the wrong chicken, what a fuckup'.

Where's the proof that they went to the pub? I have not seen it mentioned in a single news article. I'd be interested to read it.

Also I bet if Jack Black's mom died, was stressed about going through a divorce, and was royally drunk he'd be less cool about it than he was.

ZippySLC fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 26, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

lfield posted:

A grip forgot to say 'bless you' after Clarkson sneezed, so Jeremy sucked out one of his eyeballs and stamped on it. The DP didn't hold a door for him one time; lost two fingers. But what can I tell you, kid - *lifts both eyepatches with few remaining fingers, revealing only empty voids* - welcome to the real world.

Oh come on, everybody knows Clarkson doesn't suck out eyeballs, he gouges them out with his fingers. At least get it right :rolleyes:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

lfield posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EfW9znJYjw

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But guys, the talent

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

In other news, I miss posting in AI but I now drive a very boring dad car.

That was addressed at someone else, not you.

ZippySLC posted:

Where's the proof that they went to the pub? I have not seen it mentioned in a single news article. I'd be interested to read it.

Also I bet if Jack Black's mom died, was stressed about going through a divorce, and was royally drunk he'd be less cool about it than he was.

At the end of the day, all that matters all the people who are blaming the producer are wrong, and have been told they are wrong by the very person who got fired and who we are actively discussing. Anybody willing to keep arguing on and on about how the producer should have taken it like a man is pretty much telling Jeremy Clarkson that HE is wrong, and that they know better than him.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

CommieGIR posted:

That was addressed at someone else, not you.

Oh, I wasn't replying to anybody just throwing it out there.

quote:

At the end of the day, all that matters all the people who are blaming the producer are wrong, and have been told they are wrong by the very person who got fired and who we are actively discussing. Anybody willing to keep arguing on and on about how the producer should have taken it like a man is pretty much telling Jeremy Clarkson that HE is wrong, and that they know better than him.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think I've advocated that the producer deserved what he got. I don't think he deserves the grilling that he's getting on social media, nor do I think he deserves to be known as "the guy who ruined Top Gear." Two people hosed up. Jeremy deserves the lion's share for what happened. But this could probably all have been prevented with some forethought. That's all.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
I feel really old because at this point I just feel sorry for all parties involved and wish them all the best in future endeavors. Everyone is broken in some way, people are complicated, life isn't fair and I have a difficult time condemning anyone for the choices they make (within reason obviously). As someone who suffers from chronic depression and anxiety and has just begun to address it more holistically, I can absolutely identify with the horror of behaving in a way completely contrary to your own rational will. Famous/rich people are just as prone to becoming victims of their own fragile psyches as the rest of us and I refuse to hold them to a higher standard as if their wealth and power somehow make them less human. Clarkson cocked up and the consequences are severe and unfortunately far-reaching due to his level of responsibility.

The media landscape has changed so much in the decade+ this show has been on the air that I'm not really torn up about it ending. There's so much good car content out there now and so many more avenues for these three to continue contributing. If this had happened, say, after season 8, I would probably be flipping out, but after so many lackluster seasons (except for the current one :mad:) I'm ok with a reboot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ZippySLC posted:

But this could probably all have been prevented with some forethought. That's all.

I still really doubt that, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree considering how willing people are to hammer on about it.

I mean, we might as well have had more forethought not to allow Hitler to retake the Sudetenland, considering how unwilling he actually was to hold it. Hindsight is 20/20, and this is no different. I sincerely doubt that the producer could foresee what was going to happen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

CommieGIR posted:

I still really doubt that, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree considering how willing people are to hammer on about it.

I mean, we might as well have had more forethought not to allow Hitler to retake the Sudetenland, considering how unwilling he actually was to hold it. Hindsight is 20/20, and this is no different. I sincerely doubt that the producer could foresee what was going to happen.

Now you are literally, and unironically, comparing the situation to Hitler. :rolleyes:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

ZippySLC posted:

It's been reported in every single story that he was drinking in the pub, man. Read any of them, I guess. That's why May is saying he doesn't know what happened because he was blind drunk.

Jack Black might have been less cool about it. If he had punched me, it still would have been a huge deal. If he had berated me for twenty minutes, it would have been a pretty big deal. If he had been drunk it would have been a bigger, not a lesser, deal.

Do you get the basic concepts that fuckups happen and it's not actually possible to get everything right 100% of the time, so your 'any producer worth his salt' bullshit is, in fact, bullshit? And that Clarkson is being fired not for this incident but for an escalating string of behavior and the high likelihood of reassurance? Even if we stick to the 'just a twenty minute screaming tirade' bit, then it still gets you marked as 'difficult'. Talent gets picked on workability as much as anything else, there's plenty of actors who are lesser stars but will show up and not melt down every five minutes. Otherwise known as why Luis Guzman will never make it big and why Hugh Jackman can get parts that Russel Crowe would have to pull in favors for.

I hope Top Gear continues, and there's no reason it shouldn't. This is an ultimate spinnable problem. The people who are outraged will tune in just so they can get angry about how much worse it is now. As long as the BBC casts actual personalities and doesn't go with bland, the show will be absolutely fine. Chemistry between hosts is great and all but the whole cars part of the show matters a lot too. The show was big before them and it can be big after them, because talent is replaceable.

Edits for clarity.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 26, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Now you are literally, and unironically, comparing the situation to Hitler. :rolleyes:

My minor is in World War 2 History. Its the best I had off hand. Unless you want me to relate it to you in math/physics sense...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Mar 26, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Top Gear: it's about ethics in automotive entertainment

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ZippySLC posted:

Oh, I wasn't replying to anybody just throwing it out there.

I can only speak for myself but I don't think I've advocated that the producer deserved what he got. I don't think he deserves the grilling that he's getting on social media, nor do I think he deserves to be known as "the guy who ruined Top Gear." Two people hosed up. Jeremy deserves the lion's share for what happened. But this could probably all have been prevented with some forethought. That's all.

Did another guy hit the producer because I'm having trouble figuring out who the second person is that hosed up.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
is this officially Clarkson-gate yet?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Literally no-one in this thread has condoned the physical abuse, so please stop posting.

Cekik
Aug 14, 2002
Been waiting for Godwin's law to arrive. :suspense:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rudager posted:

Literally no-one in this thread has condoned the physical abuse, so please stop posting.

Verbal is still abuse. Verbal escalating into physical abuse is just as bad as only verbal abuse, especially when its loud enough the entire hotel can hear it.

Cekik posted:

Been waiting for Godwin's law to arrive. :suspense:

Fine, you want a different comparison?

Hindsight is 20/20. There. There is no reason to believe that the Producer expected what was about to happen, considering he did ensure that there was SOME sort of food available. The argument that the producer should have been a loving psychic as far as Clarkson's demands is laughable.

Go stick to talking about who crowd funded whose vagina in the Xbox thread.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 26, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Verbal is still abuse. Verbal escalating into physical abuse is just as bad as only verbal abuse, especially when its loud enough the entire hotel can hear it.

Rightio, thanks for that, now please stop posting so we can all remember the good times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think Clarkson should have punched the producer in the face.

But I do think that someone should punch CommieGIR in the face.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I'm really flabbergasted at all the people who are just hunky-dory with a 20 minute tirade of humiliation over steak vs cold cuts.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

wayfinder posted:

I'm really flabbergasted at all the people who are just hunky-dory with a 20 minute tirade of humiliation over steak vs cold cuts.

Ive had bosses cuss me out for way less. And next time when I know something is going to set them off, I make sure its resolved before they go off.
It is what it is. Punching of course is over the line and would be termination/lawsuits/settlements at ANY loving job. End of story. Everyone shut the gently caress up.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Why didn't lazy Clarkson just get steak n' chips at the pub he was getting blasted at? Lazy.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Pub steak and chips is always infinitely better than fancy try-hard hotel steak and chips anyway. The first of several poor decisions on Clarkson's part.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Ive had bosses cuss me out for way less. And next time when I know something is going to set them off, I make sure its resolved before they go off.
It is what it is. Punching of course is over the line and would be termination/lawsuits/settlements at ANY loving job. End of story. Everyone shut the gently caress up.

Jesus Christ this post couldn't sound more like a spousal abuse victim if it tried.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it wasn't Tumblr, SJWs, the Jews, or the Liberal Media... maybe it was the Illuminati that fired him :eek:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

djdanno13 posted:

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I don't think Clarkson should have punched the producer in the face.

But I do think that someone should punch CommieGIR in the face.

And you'd get arrested for assault for doing so. What a concept!

How about you post a gif then instead of empty quoting yourself. I've posted a Gif every time I post.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Mar 26, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

wayfinder posted:

Jesus Christ this post couldn't sound more like a spousal abuse victim if it tried.

D&D poster spotted.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

D&D poster spotted.
I'm very sorry you were treated badly. I hope you eventually get the help you clearly need.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

This Thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Top Gear ruled more than Clarkson punching a guy sucked.