Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, my friend is self-employed for entirely different reasons (runs a nonprofit), and taxes have bitten him pretty hard.

Also, I think these taxes are normally done quarterly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

DStecks posted:

The other day I remembered people saying in this thread that, for Americans, revenue from doing internet reviews has a crazy high taxation rate (30% IIRC), because American tax law considers it freelance work. And the flip side of that occurred to me: for any reviewers here, have you ever tried/been able to claim any of your video-making expenses as business costs on your taxes? Because it seems like that would be something completely legitimate but not obvious to do.

I definitely write off video-making expenses, since they're necessary for work. That includes DVD purchases, computer/camera equipment, video-specific costumes/props, etc. The computer thing is specific to what the purchase is and how much is used for work, same thing for utilities and other things specific to what portion of your living quarters is used for business only. It's all terribly complicated, but necessary considering the 30% rate.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leal posted:

Those are... extremely high rates. So does that mean you pretty much to set aside 30% of your income each paycheck to hand over to taxman the following year?

I would assume they are taken out of foreigner's pay by the foreigner government just the same as when the US withholds taxes from each of your paychecks. When contracting you of course don't get that, though you would probably be able to use an estimated tax form and/or file quarterly so as to not be tossing all your taxes to the government at once.

Or you could Wesley Snipes that poo poo and then walk around with a dead calve in your arms for the media when the government comes for you. Your results are probably going to be closer to Wesley Snipes than Cliven Bundy though. Really don't suggest you try and Bundy it.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah, you can fill out estimated tax forms quarterly, and most self-employed folks do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pretty ridiculous that you guys have to pay like that. Another consequence of the law being behind the times.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hey Junkfist, someone else from Hellthread linked your post and told me this was the new thread you were trolling. Is this true? Are you just trolling for a reaction here? Are you trying to take your hellthread persona into a different forum like Fluo did in D&D Chat?

You are the worst poster on the SA forum. gently caress off.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What brain problem does he have?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Clearly, the solution is to cut taxes for the rich even more!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Brad tackles Miami Connection too this week.

Here's Lupa's and Red Letter Media's reviews of the film too for posterity.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

nine-gear crow posted:

Brad tackles Miami Connection too this week.

Here's Lupa's and Red Letter Media's reviews of the film too for posterity.

I consider Lupa's review of Miami Connection to be a quintessential episode of OLP. It is utterly Lupa: the perfect mix of joking about a horrible movie AND being enthralled by how awesomely silly it is.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

I highly recommend watching Miami Connection with subtitles on so you can sing along with your friends. It's a fabulous experience.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, my friend is self-employed for entirely different reasons (runs a nonprofit), and taxes have bitten him pretty hard.

Also, I think these taxes are normally done quarterly.

Yeah, it can be pretty brutal. And really, it's only the Social Security and Medicare hit that really makes it bad - otherwise my taxes would feel very reasonable. But as both employer and employee...welp, that's a flat 14.9% on every dollar you make, regardless of income (up until the cap, which is up around $118,000 - on income after that, you don't pay SS, so that's a sweet deal if you're making well into six-figures). So even if you're not making much more than you need to get by and your effective income tax rate is quite low, those fixed costs are something we self-employed folk all have to account for.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fluo posted:

You are the worst poster on the SA forum. gently caress off.
Hi Fluo, how's it going in this thread? They didn't tell me you were here too.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cardboard Box A posted:

Hi Fluo, how's it going in this thread? They didn't tell me you were here too.
Your tism is out of control bro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So who had Loading Ready Run leaving the Escapist next in the betting pool?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
So was there one defining event that's causing this mass exodus of producers from The Escapist or is it just people leaving?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Is it in financial trouble? There's always been a lot of talk swirling about them being pretty lovely at paying people on time, I remember them stiffing the Extra Creditz people pretty hard way back when.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I cannot wait for The Escapist to burn ever since they hired that transphobic fuckface and I learned they started firing people who were anti Gamergate.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 26, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

OldTennisCourt posted:

So was there one defining event that's causing this mass exodus of producers from The Escapist or is it just people leaving?

They hired a complete shithead.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I kinda don't mind moviebob being gone. Now he has more time to focus on over thinker.

:lol:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cubey posted:

They hired a complete shithead.

To elaborate:

Darth Walrus posted:

Speaking of saying dumb, bigoted stuff on the Internet, the Escapist's new writer just made quite a first impression. :stare:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I cannot wait for Gamergate to burn ever since they hired that transphobic fuckface and I learned they started firing people who were anti Gamergate.

Moviebob, Sterling etc were not fired because of that. Sterling left on his own terms and Moviebob got the can for something unrelated to gamergate. Loading Ready Run also say the Escapist came to them cause they weren't drawing enough people, so they could take a paycheck cut or leave. Not gamergate related either.

Fans posted:

Is it in financial trouble? There's always been a lot of talk swirling about them being pretty lovely at paying people on time, I remember them stiffing the Extra Creditz people pretty hard way back when.

Yeah, its most likely a cash issue. The site had a lot of content creators on board, despite AFAIK not really being that famous. Wouldn't surprise me if they were hemorrhaging money and their mother company came down on them to either clean house or be shut down.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The Escapist is Zero Punctuation and

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Zero Punctuation is the Escapist

Ftfy

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Brandon Morse offers a fresh and off-beat perspective on pop culture and gaming.

I'm glad his voice and opinions are able to reach young minds and leave an indelible imprint.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Apparently the escapist approached lrr and told them unskippable wasn't making enough money, so they were going to cancel it. They offered lrr the chance to make another show, but since unskippable was the only property they owened, lrr turned them down and left. They still own feed dump so that's going up on their youtube and is open for patreon support. But unskippable was owned by the escapist, so mst3k gaming edition isn't coming back and lrr can't make another show in the same format without tempting copyright.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Archer666 posted:

Moviebob, Sterling etc were not fired because of that. Sterling left on his own terms and Moviebob got the can for something unrelated to gamergate.

It's pretty obvious that's a driving force in who they started letting go. They're pro GG and it really shows, especially with hires like that scumfucker Moorse.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

It's kind of like the situation at Channel Awesome, in that none of these people really NEED the Escapist anymore anyway given they're probably making more on Patreon anyway and without the concern of having to navigate being part of a site run by insane people. It's sad that a lot of them lost their IP to them though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Seems like Kyle has taken to being a teacher for a term, and his first class is on terminology in movies, specifically focusing on the camera.

Also, I don't bring up SFDebris enough, but somebody asked him to do Gurren Lagann, which is probably gonna be entertaining as hell because it's just so dumb.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Also, I don't bring up SFDebris enough, but somebody asked him to do Gurren Lagann, which is probably gonna be entertaining as hell because it's just so dumb.

At least he's getting anime requests that aren't some sort of dark punishment.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I really don't care, but having seen TTGL without the dub makes the clips sound really weird to me. :v:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Gyges posted:

At least he's getting anime requests that aren't some sort of dark punishment.

I REALLY wanna request Evangelion. It's a classic, and yet the lesbian moon princesses are kinder to it's viewers than that show. :getin:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'd like to see more GENDUM. Or maybe Eureka Seven.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BigRed0427 posted:

I REALLY wanna request Evangelion. It's a classic, and yet the lesbian moon princesses are kinder to it's viewers than that show. :getin:

Done and Done

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think he meant more the TV show.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

BigRed0427 posted:

Despite having watched NGE all the way through twice and hating it and End of Evangelion as well I can't help but recommend it to people. I get the vibe that the show was supposed to piss me off and that I wasn't actually supposed to enjoy it, especially the end of the series.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Being purposely poo poo/annoying does not excuse one for being poo poo/annoying. Otherwise the Westboro Baptist Church are the greatest performance artists of all time.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Keep in mind that the fan reaction to Evangelion, specifically how fans sexualized Rei and shipped her with her kinda-sorta-clone-son, basically drove Hideaki Anno into a major depressive episode, and the result was End of Evangelion. The series is about dealing with anxiety and depression (the literal apocalypse serving as an apt metaphor for the sense of pervasive dread these engender); and End of Evangelion is about how lovely otaku are.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Fans posted:

They've financial issues for years. There was a big thing a couple of years ago when alot of former content creators came out of the woodwork and said they weren't getting paid by the people in charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Tracula posted:

Despite having watched NGE all the way through twice and hating it and End of Evangelion as well I can't help but recommend it to people. I get the vibe that the show was supposed to piss me off and that I wasn't actually supposed to enjoy it, especially the end of the series.

Folding Ideas actually did a video of End of Evangelion that's about this. It's pretty good.

http://blip.tv/foldablehuman/s3e2-end-of-evangelion-and-the-audience-author-membrane-6540094

• Locked thread