Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ehnus posted:

"The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, my co-pilot wouldn't let me back in the cockpit."

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SybilVimes posted:

Given that everyone they're interviewing says he was happy and loved his job, it's entirely possible it wasn't 'suicide' per se but some kind of fugue state blackout.

Well he had to lock the door that way on purpose from what I've read. Taking that into account I can't see how it would be a black out or something.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Plinkey posted:

Well he had to lock the door that way on purpose from what I've read. Taking that into account I can't see how it would be a black out or something.

Fugue state blackouts are kinda weird, my boyfriend has them and occasionally will 'come to' 30-40 miles away from where he was.

Agatha Christie once had one and went missing for 2 weeks.

Basically, you might appear concious to people around you, and you do stuff that makes sense to you at the time, but it may be completely nonsensical to everyone else and yourself-in-retrospect

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

Given that everyone they're interviewing says he was happy and loved his job, it's entirely possible it wasn't 'suicide' per se but some kind of fugue state blackout.

You would still have to deliberately deadbolt the door and make the aircraft descend.

Generation Internet posted:

I guess it says something positive about the safety of commercial aviation that most of the high-profile accidents over the last year or so have been due to homicidal individuals either on the ground or in the cockpit. What a tragedy, those poor people. My girlfriend was on the verge of angry tears trying to comprehend how someone could do that to so many other people when I told her it was likely a pilot suicide cfit :smith:

I know the Internet is no place to discuss your emotions, but I just feel awful today. Just awful. This is my industry, my career, and my bread and butter, and it enabled a murderer to kill 150 people. Sure it's happened before, but almost exclusively from outside. The people on the inside take so much pride and put so much effort in to making sure air travel is safe, this feels like betrayal from the very heart. And not only murder, but to deliberately cause such suffering in the victims. Blow yourself in a crowded market and at least the victims don't see it coming. It's just terrible.

ehnus posted:

"The last time I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8, my co-pilot wouldn't let me back in the cockpit."

But at least, at the very least, I can still laugh :gbsmith:

E- lol - I think I'll leave that as is...

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 26, 2015

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

SybilVimes posted:

Given that everyone they're interviewing says he was happy and loved his job...

This doesn't mean anything and is unfortunately is extremely common with people who suffer depression and/or commit suicide.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Previa_fun posted:

This doesn't mean anything and is unfortunately is extremely common with people who suffer depression and/or commit suicide.

Also probably what I would tell a reporter if they told someone I knew had augured a fully-loaded airliner into a mountain murdering over 100 people.

You know as a CYA.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ehnus posted:

:drat:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Seriously, just kill yourself somewhere quiet and away from other people. A special place in hell for that guy.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Again, as to the 'why,' if it really is true that he was about to lose his job as a first officer, and by extension, likely never fly commercially again, I see this as a psychotic break coupled with him wanting to make a very public and lasting statement. This guy is another Anders Breivik who probably figured life couldn't continue unless he was flying in a station of 'prestige.'

People won't remember this guy's name in a few month's time, but they'll remember what he did.

Just think, it could have been far worse - the guy had principal control of the airplane and evidently had the ability to keep the captain and crew out as long as he was willing to continue overriding the door code. He could've plowed the plane into a populated area, or forced the French, Germans, Italians, or Swiss to shoot it down to *prevent* him from doing so. Killing 150 people for a statement is one thing, but forcing someone *else* to end 150 lives is far worse.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 27, 2015

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ehnus posted:

And we missed the opportunity to have the thread title be "I took a poo poo at Mach 0.8 so bad they turned the plane around."

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Christ, what an arsehole.

How can you go about prevention for this? Are there any good tests for psychological state? Regulating this sort of error factor has to be hard, especially as so many people can just hide their mental problems for the time they're at work.

There would certainly have been psych interviews at the outset of his employment - could re-doing them every 6 months be enough?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Just thinking about the passengers on that plane moments before impact gives me a horrible sinking feeling from head to toe.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

eggyolk posted:

Just thinking about the passengers on that plane moments before impact gives me a horrible sinking feeling from head to toe.

They probably felt a sinking feeling too.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

This is just like 9/11 because it was an inside job.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
....in other news

sweet rear end Tu-144 doc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Sanguine posted:

Christ, what an arsehole.

How can you go about prevention for this? Are there any good tests for psychological state? Regulating this sort of error factor has to be hard, especially as so many people can just hide their mental problems for the time they're at work.

There would certainly have been psych interviews at the outset of his employment - could re-doing them every 6 months be enough?

Almost every incident where something like this has happened, the person who crashed (or intended to crash) the plane never 'showed their hand.' They're walking time bombs, and they don't tick.

Just an aside, though - hopefully if there's one good thing that will come of this, it'll be airlines being forced to stop running their pilots ragged, forcing them to get too little sleep in substandard hotels so they can meet unrealistic schedules and keep up their quotas. One in a million pilots might consider doing this, but the harder you push someone, the more likely it is they're going to break - maybe not go homicidal, but you don't want someone deciding to lock up and become a danger to himself and others at FL380.

And forcing pilots to go through a 'loose screw check' every six months is just another inconvenience and places additional stress on them. If you've been having a lovely few months, you're going to tell the corporate (or FAA) shrink everything's fine, because you know if you tell him that you think your wife's cheating on you, or your kid has leukemia, he's going to report that (since doctor/patient privilege likely won't apply), and you're going to be suspended, likely with a pay cut, at the *worst possible time*. It'd be far more effective to ensure pilots have adequate vacation and 'off' time so they can - for lack of a better word - 'decompress' every so often, but with that, the blame kind of lays with the consumer who *demands* affordable air travel.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 27, 2015

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They probably felt a sinking feeling too.

Well that stopped suddenly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Canada has announced a 2 person in the cockpit at all times rule.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/world/germanwings-flight-4u9525-canadian-airlines-told-to-have-2-people-in-the-cockpit-1.3010494

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yeah, this whole story has been depressing as gently caress.

So cool docs, a good thing.

A link off of that youtube video will amuse the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOqO5aa984

HOPE :canada:

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Flikken posted:

Well that stopped suddenly.

That gave me a good chuckle.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Almost every incident where something like this has happened, the person who crashed (or intended to crash) the plane never 'showed their hand.' They're walking time bombs, and they don't tick.

Just an aside, though - hopefully if there's one good thing that will come of this, it'll be airlines being forced to stop running their pilots ragged, forcing them to get too little sleep in substandard hotels so they can meet unrealistic schedules and keep up their quotas. One in a million pilots might consider doing this, but the harder you push someone, the more likely it is they're going to break - maybe not go homicidal, but you don't want someone deciding to lock up and become a danger to himself and others at FL380.

And forcing pilots to go through a 'loose screw check' every six months is just another inconvenience and places additional stress on them. If you've been having a lovely few months, you're going to tell the corporate (or FAA) shrink everything's fine, because you know if you tell him that you think your wife's cheating on you, or your kid has leukemia, he's going to report that (since doctor/patient privilege likely won't apply), and you're going to be suspended, likely with a pay cut, at the *worst possible time*. It'd be far more effective to ensure pilots have adequate vacation and 'off' time so they can - for lack of a better word - 'decompress' every so often, but with that, the blame kind of lays with the consumer who *demands* affordable air travel.

Good reply, I'd hope that's the direction things would go. However, I don't have a lot of hope for better working conditions being made law, or enforced if they were.

Maybe it's a risk that can't be designed out of the sector, too. Here's hoping more harm isn't caused in a poorly thought out rush to put a 'fix' on the issue.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Nebakenezzer posted:

A link off of that youtube video will amuse the thread: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhOqO5aa984

HOPE :canada:

Also, wow. They tried to kickstart it.

Someone even chipped in $500 :canada:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

If an airline employee is dedicated to a murder-suicide theres not too many options to prevent it.

Anyone can become an amazingly effective weapon if they don't care about their own survival when they're done.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

Anyone can become an amazingly effective weapon if they don't care about their own survival when they're done.

Passengers are having trouble with that since 9/11 at least.

McDeth
Jan 12, 2005
CNN Headline: PROGRAMMED TO KILL
FoxNews Headline: AUTOPILOT SET TO KILL

poo poo, apparently the right and left wing CAN agree on something: Sensationalist Headlines!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Well I guess it's safe to say that the idea of single-pilot airliners is mercifully dead now.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

OCD pilot would never not fly the airspeed right down to the knot.

The best TPS graduate

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Just gonna quote this for posterity.

bobfather posted:

It's an Airbus. Any guesses as to whether the automated systems helped the crash along, as they have in so many other Airbus flights?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

Just gonna quote this for posterity.

Well... didn't it, technically? Autopilot is automated, by definition.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
No joke though I would love to work for the NTSB.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Looks like the pilot may have done more than just knock on the door.

quote:

The cockpit flight recorder showed that the pilot repeatedly knocked and tried to get back in as the plane went into its fatal descent, French prosecutors said.

However, Bild reported that he also tried using an axe to break down the cockpit's armoured door.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0327/690092-germanwings-plane-crash/

edit: ignore this, I am an idiot.

A Handed Missus fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 27, 2015

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

bobfather posted:

Likewise but alas :(

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

An axe? On an airplane? Really?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

An axe? On an airplane? Really?

It's a German plane. I'm sure there's climbing gear and skis somewhere, too.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

A Handed Missus posted:

Looks like the pilot may have done more than just knock on the door.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0327/690092-germanwings-plane-crash/

Never trust anything the Bild says, they're no better than the Sun. How would they even know he used an axe?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Honj Steak posted:

Never trust anything the Bild says, they're no better than the Sun. How would they even know he used an axe?

You see, the plane is in many small pieces, he chopped it up as the plane descended,

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

bobfather posted:

If you can compartmentalize, and turn off the emotions and focus on the data required to put everything together, it can be a rather fun and exciting career, so I was told back in college. It's still fun to talk about, but outside of a room full of other av-nerds, you get weird stares when you start talking about "your favorite crash." Probably like how law students get weird looks when they start talking about their favorite murders, academically.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Trannies and gentlegoons, the War on Depression has now begun. Depression's act of savage aggression against 3 Americans must not go unanswered.

The invasion of Belize is therefore scheduled for 2017. No, we don't know what Belize has to do with depression either, but we have two years to think of something.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Agreeing to 6 figures of debt to work for regional FO wages should be considered mental illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently he should have been grounded that day.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0MN11N20150327?irpc=932

quote:

DUESSELDORF, Germany (Reuters) - German authorities found torn-up sick notes showing that the pilot who crashed a plane into the French Alps was suffering from an illness that should have grounded him on the day of the tragedy, which he apparently hid from the airline.

French prosecutors believe Andreas Lubitz, 27, locked himself alone in the cockpit of the Germanwings Airbus A320 on Tuesday and deliberately steered it into a mountain, killing all 150 people on board.

"Documents with medical contents were confiscated that point towards an existing illness and corresponding treatment by doctors," said the prosecutors' office in Duesseldorf, where the co-pilot lived and where the doomed flight from Barcelona was heading.

"The fact there are sick notes saying he was unable to work, among other things, that were found torn up, which were recent and even from the day of the crime, support the assumption based on the preliminary examination that the deceased hid his illness from his employer and his professional colleagues," the German prosecutors said.

They found no suicide note or confession, "nor was there any evidence of a political or religious background to what happened", they added.

Lubitz's mental health - and what Germanwings and parent company Lufthansa knew about it - could become central questions in any future legal case over the crash. Under German law, employees are required to inform their employers immediately if they are unable to work.

Reports in German media suggested that Lubitz had suffered from depression in the past, and that Lufthansa would have been aware of at least some of that history.