Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeWagon
Sep 23, 2004
I posted a thread on mt.net for people to laugh at my miata, its engine, or me: http://www.miataturbo.net/engine-performance-56/white-smoke-tailpipe-worse-when-hot-opinions-83627/

Please tell me what inexpensive thing will fix it so I can use the money on a paintjob or beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Atomizer posted:

Has anyone else found that spiders really, really like their Miata? :stare:

I had a problem with them before, yeah. Apparently they were a widespread problem with Mazda6s: the gas tank was smelly and spiders love the smell of gasoline apparently. They seem to be gone now but I just know they're biding their time.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It looks like there's also dried coolant on the front chassis brace here - its' kind of powdery white in the photo; more green white in real life. I don't know how old it is.

If I look up beyond the brace next to the transmission, there's a bolt with some coolant on it.

These are both on the rear passenger side of the engine bay. The compressor is on the front driver side. I don't get it.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Blk, after reading the AC thread and the 'it's a pretty small shop' thread, I'm guessing that is UV dye leaking from your compressor, not coolant.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Atomizer posted:

Has anyone else found that spiders really, really like their Miata? :stare:

There are a couple of jumping spiders that roam my interior. I leave them be to hunt mosquitoes plus its fun watching them stalk something across the dashboard while I sit in traffic.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Chriskory posted:

I am thinking about buying this, any obvious things I'm missing?

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=571787

Open diff sucks and if you're in Texas without A/C you're a tougher man than I. I can't live without it in Michigan. If you're just using it for Autox then it's probably fine, just find another diff.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Larrymer posted:

Open diff sucks and if you're in Texas without A/C you're a tougher man than I. I can't live without it in Michigan. If you're just using it for Autox then it's probably fine, just find another diff.

He actually converted it to open for the rules, and manual steering. Both make the car worse to drive, but that's the SCCA for you.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

blk posted:

Why would it look like my AC compressor is leaking coolant?

Could be dripping off the water pump inlet.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Can anyone recommend a brand of wheel lugs that do not rust? The last set I bought for my Miata (to replace the existing rusty set) began rusting in like a month. :( Are the Gorilla Lifetime Lugs what I'm looking for, or something else?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://949racing.com/forged-alloy-lugs-black-12x15.aspx

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
If you do get Al lug nuts just remember that you must trust your tire shop not to gently caress you with 300ftlbs if 1/2" impact.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Thanks for the recommendation! I was about to ask in another AI thread about lugnuts - idiot greasemonkey overtorqued my wheels and I subsequently had to write off my horrifically stripped wheel locks, so I was in the market for some quality lugs.

Also: checking out some NCs this week - wish me luck!
Anything I should watch for? Common rust areas, gremlins/issues, etc.?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Can I get a recommendation for a luggage rack for my NA? My buddy and I are planning to camp the pikes peak hill climb this summer and I can't fit all my camping poo poo in the trunk haha.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Top down, luggage on the parcel shelf :colbert:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Those look nice, although for the Miata I like short, closed acorns, and of course:

Beach Bum posted:

If you do get Al lug nuts just remember that you must trust your tire shop not to gently caress you with 300ftlbs if 1/2" impact.

I don't trust any shop not to gently caress them up. :(

e.g.:

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! I was about to ask in another AI thread about lugnuts - idiot greasemonkey overtorqued my wheels and I subsequently had to write off my horrifically stripped wheel locks, so I was in the market for some quality lugs.

Also: checking out some NCs this week - wish me luck!
Anything I should watch for? Common rust areas, gremlins/issues, etc.?

As far as rust is concerned, check the rocker panels and the bottoms of the doors, and pop the hood. Look around all the bolts; rust seems to start there, and spread through the bodywork. (I could share some photos when I bring my Miata home soon.) Beyond that, you'd have to be able to get under the car to look for more rust, which may not be possible unless you can bring it into a shop.

Miatas are generally easy to work on; you just need to take it for a test drive, and listen for anything strange, see if anything doesn't "feel" right. It's kind of hard to describe, but those of us with years of experience in Miatas just sort of know how they're supposed to be; I'm sure the other guys in this thread can point out more specific things to look out for, but this is a start.

A MIRACLE posted:

Can I get a recommendation for a luggage rack for my NA? My buddy and I are planning to camp the pikes peak hill climb this summer and I can't fit all my camping poo poo in the trunk haha.

This is the only correct answer:

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Top down, luggage on the parcel shelf :colbert:

See?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I'll probably just get this thing and hope it doesn't fall off on I-25 http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/30-1048.html

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 25, 2015

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

What's everyone using for transmission & diff oil these days? Need to change both out, forgot what I used last time.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

TrueChaos posted:

What's everyone using for transmission & diff oil these days? Need to change both out, forgot what I used last time.

I've used mobile 1 and ams oil svg in the diff and redline 90 and Motul gear 300 in the trans. I liked redline the best of the two in the trans. Noticed no difference in the diff. I did not get oil analysis done on any of them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Motorcraft synthetic for the trans, Mobil One Synthetic for the diff.

The Motorcraft stuff is great for the trans, completely eliminated hard second gear shift on my car.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

leica posted:

The Motorcraft stuff is great for the trans, completely eliminated hard second gear shift on my car.

Same on my 160k '94. That poo poo is magic. Before, I had to double clutch to get into 2nd. Probably should have changed the oil out 4 years ago when I bought the thing.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Rotella T6 in my b6 because turbo. Must try this motorcraft though, my second gear is good but not great.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I have seen probably about 3 dozen NDs in the past hour. Including one on the assembly line.

The whites are different. But it's still white. Saw the blue, too. Plenty of reds. No blacks. :ninja:

The hype is real.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Phone posted:

I have seen probably about 3 dozen NDs in the past hour. Including one on the assembly line.

The whites are different. But it's still white. Saw the blue, too. Plenty of reds. No blacks. :ninja:

The hype is real.

No blacks?!? loving racist.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Phone posted:

The hype is real.

How'd you manage to see them? I'm corn-fused

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was at the Hiroshima plant today for a tour. :D

e: I think I saw a few blacks, but they were tucked away on second thought...

Phone fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 26, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Like a virtual tour or a real tour? How the hell are you in Japan?

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

leica posted:

Like a virtual tour or a real tour? How the hell are you in Japan?
Airplane I would expect. If it helps I'm going back in May :)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
He won a trip to the Mazda factory for trolling miata.net so much.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Where the hell can I get a new speedo? My odometer hangs every time it ticks over 1000 miles and I'm really getting tired of yanking the cluster to fiddle with the drat thing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

destructo posted:

Airplane I would expect. If it helps I'm going back in May :)

You mean he didn't swim?

You fuckers better be eating lots of good ramen and sushi :colbert:

FatCow posted:

He won a trip to the Mazda factory for trolling miata.net so much.

lol

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Honestly I thought I'd be the only one nerdy enough to go on a factory Mazda tour while in Japan but gently caress there multiple AI posters who have done that and that is freaking awesome.

I wish my time wasn't limited by the tour group though cause I could spend so many hours there. If Phone got some kind of VIP tour I'm super jealous.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

leica posted:

You mean he didn't swim?

You fuckers better be eating lots of good ramen and sushi :colbert:

lol

It's not like the Toyota Museum, you have to be on the guided tour. Woke up at the crack of dawn and was on a train for basically 3.5 hours, and took a local train two stops down from Hiroshima station. The tour is free and a bit rushed. Their museum is much smaller than Toyota's, but they have more engineering/breakdowns even though their selection isn't all too amazing (Autozam AZ-1, 20b Cosmo, and the 787B make up for it, though). They're still pushing "omg the rotary is so awesome~~" and they haven't updated the tour to say "But it's financially unviable since it's basically some German dude's science fair experiment". Instead they say, "we are still researching rotary technology even though it hasn't been in a production vehicle for 5 years now to put into the next generation rotary vehicle!" How optimistic. It's set up more like a science/engineering museum since they have the history, but they have a massive hallway that's basically "How does a car get made" and includes the clay models, stamping stuff, plastic making, etc. The final part of the tour is in the U1 Assembly plant and you have a limited catwalk space to see people in the background install the power plant, people installing interior pieces (dashes, etc) are significantly closer, see some cool robots messing with windshields and picking up cars to go to the next phase. It was free, too. You need to reserve a spot.

However, it's at Mazda's plant. Toyota owns an entire city, Mazda just has a significant portion of the sea-lined land. The Toyota museum is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, but it's easy to get to (however the monorail doesn't use IC cards at their terminals that's some BS). Their collection is much bigger, covers way more history across all manufacturers (American, European, and Japanese), and is 1000円 to get into, but you're not tied to a 1.5 hour tour guide. The cars were interesting and seeing a Mustang in the 70s Japanese cars was pretty funny, but the exhibit that was really cool and made it worth the trip was in the annex. They had the entire upstairs of the annex set up as a history of the post war reconstruction and occupation with an emphasis of the economic changes throughout the 50s to 60s to 70s. It was worth the price of admission just for that.

Those are my cool 日本 stories.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So why are you there, work related poo poo or something?

I miss the vending machines :smith:

And real ramen :smith: :smith:

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Do you finally feel tall Phone?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The funny thing was the bus that took us from the museum to the factory was a stinky rear end diesel. It's not a Mazda built bus but come on. This is a car company tour. I think they have a lot more stinky rear end diesel buses in Japan like in other countries compared to the U.S. so maybe they didn't notice it as much. I mean like it was last tuned up in the 80s and is emitting a bunch of clouds of soot. That was in 2008.

For the Toyota museum do you mean the one in Tokyo or did you head to the Nagoya area? I saw the one in Tokyo and was actually really surprised at how much cool stuff they had...I didn't bring my full size camera cause after all, it's Toyota... but yeah ended up pretty cool. If you have a ton of money to spend lots of stuff you can buy, too.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm here to tell the Japanese people about VVT and K swaps. They need to know that this technology exists.

And nah. Some people I've seen aren't 5 feet which is weird.

E: I went to the one in Aichi outside of Nagoya.

Phone fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Mar 27, 2015

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh yeah you did say middle of nowhere...I can read...sure :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

I'm here to tell the Japanese people about VVT and K swaps. They need to know that this technology exists.

And nah. Some people I've seen aren't 5 feet which is weird.

E: I went to the one in Aichi outside of Nagoya.

Ecotec swaps are also a thing now.

I've driven their prototype car. And it was niiiiiice.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Interesting on the ecotech. Donors are plentiful if we are talking front wheel drive ones. I would imagine wrecked skys and solstices turbos are pretty plentiful too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elephanthead posted:

I would imagine wrecked skys and solstices turbos are pretty plentiful too.

Possibly. But as far as I now the parts for both cars demand a huge premium right now due to a total lack of supply.