Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Wow, I assumed my note 4 would never get lollipop. I wonder how long it will take USC to approve the update.

I've had Lollipop for about 10 days now (used Odin to flash the German update on my Danish Note 4).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a Google Edition Galaxy S4 running 5.0. I was out of the country for two weeks so I had airplane mode on with Wifi turned on. Now airplane mode is off, but I can't get cellular data to turn back on. I flip the toggle for cellular data in settings, but then when I leave the screen and go back to it, it's been switched off again. Any ideas?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Try to reboot it if you didn't already. If you have a proper Google Edition (not a flashed jfltexx S4 like mine), you should go the root/flash way to get a 5.0.1 with less bugs than the stock android rom, is sad but the S4 both the touchwiz and the GE aren't getting more official support.

GTJustin
Nov 24, 2010
I feel like my Nexus 4 is on its last legs, the Swype keyboard takes a while to load sometimes, apps will crash and the battery life is getting on my nerves.

Pretty much any camera will be a massive upgrade over the Nexus 4 right? I'm looking at the HTC M9 and the camera reviews are mixed, but I imagine I won't notice it at all.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Man, gently caress this guy. You should start infiltrating this idiot's life. He tries to take your email? You turn up at his work event, kiss his girl and call his boss a fat gently caress

You people have no idea, I've got a pretty generic german sounding last name, I don't even know how many emails I get intended for soembody else:

Military stuff
Car loans
Student assignments
Teacher responses
Job applications
Job responses

The list goes on, the only thing I respond to know are things that appear really important, like thesis questions, jesus.

Updated my Note, first thing I missed was my clock app that apparently isn't Lollipop compatable, slept in 2 hours past my normal time, good stuff! Other than that, seems cool although now the "Ok google" from the lock screen is broken for me, :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The dude who has been trying to use my email for years (I have a common first name, got in on an extremely early gmail beta signup) has been enrolling in college classes, redeeming Amazon points or some poo poo, and signing up for lovely online game sites. He deserves every stupid thing that will ever happen to his stupid self.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
Every time you get an account signup email from someone else, you should reset their password to "wrongemail".

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

PinnacleOrBust posted:

Every time you get an account signup email from someone else, you should reset their password to "wrongemail".

I get this poo poo constantly. I always log in and gently caress with the account any way I can, then lock it out and set the recovery email to something@example.com.

I even had someone argue with me via text about my Gmail address that I've had since the 5 invite days.

For content: looks like I'll be moving to a Nexus 6 soon. I just need to figure out how much work is going to pay and either buy it on contract with Verizon and have TMo pay my ETF or buy it outright and go with Harbor Mobile.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Coming from a Nexus 4 a RAZR v3 would be an upgrade in terms of camera.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My Samsung Galaxy S1 Captivate took better pictures than my Nexus 4 does, no kidding.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

AlexDeGruven posted:

I get this poo poo constantly. I always log in and gently caress with the account any way I can, then lock it out and set the recovery email to something@example.com.

I even had someone argue with me via text about my Gmail address that I've had since the 5 invite days.

For content: looks like I'll be moving to a Nexus 6 soon. I just need to figure out how much work is going to pay and either buy it on contract with Verizon and have TMo pay my ETF or buy it outright and go with Harbor Mobile.

For years I came across a piece of script that another tech I worked with wrote that would email notifications to "test@email.com". It was on all sorts of systems we set up for clients. I always imagined some poor guy named Timothy Est was always getting all these emails from all sorts of linux servers, and never knowing why.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey guys! I went to answer a text message today and I got an error message saying "hangouts requires google play services, which is not installed on your phone. Click here to download it from the google play store."

When I clicked the google play store link, it wouldn't load. Now, deep down I know that I just happened to catch it mid-install of a new google play services update, but if I was a normal person I would definitely think that android was poo poo. That kind of user experience blows and is not acceptable.

Vitalis Jackson
May 14, 2009

Sun and water are healthy for you -- but not for your hair!
Fun Shoe
Please don't make fun of me.

I have this old Dell Streak device that I've been using in my garage. It's connected to an amplifier & speakers, and I listen to Sirius XM via the app through wifi. It works great for that. Here's my current dilemma, though, and I know you guys can figure this out:

I used to listen to Spotify on wifi and offline (Premium account). I let the Premium account last year; when I resubscribed this year, I couldn't find/install the app for Spotify any longer. I feel fairly certain that a compatible one exists, but I can't find it. The Android version on it is 2.2.2, and the Kernel version (whatever that is) is 2.6.32.9.

I would be most grateful if some smart person could offer advice, because Dell and Spotify apparently have no consumer support contacts.

Thanks!

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Kinda a "service" question as well as an android question- looking at the Zenfone 2s on ebay that have 4g LTE on 2100/11900/1800/1700mhz AWS/850/900/700. Would that work on AT&T/Cricket? Can someone easily explain how these bands work? I can't find an easy explanation.. (Or I dont know where to look? :()

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

freemason9 posted:

Please don't make fun of me.

I have this old Dell Streak device that I've been using in my garage. It's connected to an amplifier & speakers, and I listen to Sirius XM via the app through wifi. It works great for that. Here's my current dilemma, though, and I know you guys can figure this out:

I used to listen to Spotify on wifi and offline (Premium account). I let the Premium account last year; when I resubscribed this year, I couldn't find/install the app for Spotify any longer. I feel fairly certain that a compatible one exists, but I can't find it. The Android version on it is 2.2.2, and the Kernel version (whatever that is) is 2.6.32.9.

I would be most grateful if some smart person could offer advice, because Dell and Spotify apparently have no consumer support contacts.

Thanks!

Gonna go out on a limb and say your old rear end device isn't supported. You can probably grab a cheap moto x or moto g to fill that niche. In fact, I use my old cracked screen moto x for the same exact function: garage stereo.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Guillermus posted:

Try to reboot it if you didn't already. If you have a proper Google Edition (not a flashed jfltexx S4 like mine), you should go the root/flash way to get a 5.0.1 with less bugs than the stock android rom, is sad but the S4 both the touchwiz and the GE aren't getting more official support.

I did a reboot before the past and it didn't fix it. Ignore this question if the instructions are in the OP, but what's the root/flash way? Why would they stop giving official support to a phone that is 2 years old and is branded officially as one of their own? (Yes I know it's to keep us buying them, but 2 years seems ridiculous)

Any other ideas about my problem specifically?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Kinda a "service" question as well as an android question- looking at the Zenfone 2s on ebay that have 4g LTE on 2100/11900/1800/1700mhz AWS/850/900/700. Would that work on AT&T/Cricket? Can someone easily explain how these bands work? I can't find an easy explanation.. (Or I dont know where to look? :()

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Make sure you know exactly which model Zenphone2 it is. There seems to be several different sub models.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

SB35 posted:

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Make sure you know exactly which model Zenphone2 it is. There seems to be several different sub models.

Thanks!! I'm not even sure what models I've looked at, but this definitely gets me headed in the right direction.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
My phone's battery is inexplicably better now. Granted I think Chrome updated, but other than that :iiam:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

freemason9 posted:

Thanks!

Yea, as Bob A Feet said, I'm sure Spotify now requires Android 4.something for its app. Since your needs are very basic and they only involve Wi-Fi, I'd just pick up some dirt cheap Android phone that runs Android 4.4. This ZTE thing is $20 and should do what you want. You can also get a used phone with a "bad ESN" off craigslist/ebay. Bad ESN basically means someone didn't pay their phone bill so their on-contract phone got blocked from the network (or its stolen). It will still work great on Wi-Fi though.

You may also be able to find the older Spotify APK (my search for "old spotify apk" turned up several hits) and install it, but its likely the Spotify may no allow it to play music anymore.

I'm pretty sure the Zenfone2 is going to be my next phone. Everything looks positive so far. The UI skin is a little heavy handed, but a lot of it looks useful (things like "drawing" a "C" on the screen when it's off to automatically turn the screen on and start the camera app, for instance). For basically $50 more than a Moto G you're getting a phone that's far more powerful and appears to actually have a decent camera.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KingKapalone posted:

I did a reboot before the past and it didn't fix it. Ignore this question if the instructions are in the OP, but what's the root/flash way? Why would they stop giving official support to a phone that is 2 years old and is branded officially as one of their own? (Yes I know it's to keep us buying them, but 2 years seems ridiculous)

Any other ideas about my problem specifically?

They stop giving support 18 months later to its release, anything after that is a "gift".

Try to do a factory reset, if that doesn't work you may have a problem with the radio and might need an update.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I'm pretty sure the Zenfone2 is going to be my next phone. Everything looks positive so far. The UI skin is a little heavy handed, but a lot of it looks useful (things like "drawing" a "C" on the screen when it's off to automatically turn the screen on and start the camera app, for instance). For basically $50 more than a Moto G you're getting a phone that's far more powerful and appears to actually have a decent camera.

I just need to see a few more reviews covering the Intel processor before I'm all in.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I just need to see a few more reviews covering the Intel processor before I'm all in.

Same. I've watched some YouTube reviews (yeah yeah I know) that have been highly positive, and the benchmarks I've seen have also been positive. Still, I'd like to see Anandtech or someone review it before I drop the $.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I upgraded my friend's 1st gen Moto G to Lollipop a few weeks ago and he's done nothing but moan ever since. I don't think he likes the keyboard or something.

It was a pay as you go handset without carrier branding. Is there a way I ca flash 4.4.4 back onto it?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I upgraded my friend's 1st gen Moto G to Lollipop a few weeks ago and he's done nothing but moan ever since. I don't think he likes the keyboard or something.

It was a pay as you go handset without carrier branding. Is there a way I ca flash 4.4.4 back onto it?
You can set the keyboard back to the old Holo theme in the Keyboard settings (long press comma).

My sister also went apeshit over this change because who knows.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 27, 2015

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I kind of prefer holo to material when it comes to keyboard. But then I use SwiftKey with holo theme :)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Guillermus posted:

I kind of prefer holo to material when it comes to keyboard. But then I use SwiftKey with holo theme :)

I've been using the Swype "Night" theme since before holo, and I'll probably keep using it when they move on from this material design stuff.
:cool::hf::cool:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Guillermus posted:

They stop giving support 18 months later to its release, anything after that is a "gift".

Try to do a factory reset, if that doesn't work you may have a problem with the radio and might need an update.

It seems like it would be a software thing since I flip the toggle in the menu, but when I leave the menu and go back to it, it's back in the off position.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'd use the Material theme in Swype if it showed alt characters, it looks nice. v :) v

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Material dark theme represent :cool:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I'd use the Material theme in SwiftKey if they actually gave you the theme that looks like the operating system you use it on. I wouldn't mind but I bought that program three times in various forms, the least they can do now they've gone free is give you a theme that matches your OS, make money off the idiots who want one of those hideous sports team themes.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I'd use the Material theme in Swype if it showed alt characters, it looks nice. v :) v

This annoys me too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

I did use that for a day or two, but yes. I need to see the alt characters. My brain is too stupid to remember where the exclamation and question marks are. I don't know what they were thinking there.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Well looking at "will my phone work" shows that the global model of the new zenfone 2 WOULD work on Cricket/at&t but its a fairly small result of LTE bands. Guess I will hold off and hope a US release date is announced.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Well looking at "will my phone work" shows that the global model of the new zenfone 2 WOULD work on Cricket/at&t but its a fairly small result of LTE bands. Guess I will hold off and hope a US release date is announced.

AT&T/Cricket primarily uses Band 4 (1700 mhz) and 17 (700mhz) for LTE.
Zenfone 2 supports both 4 and 17, plus band 2 and 5 which AT&T also uses in some areas.

edit: Actually some of the variants don't have Band 17 support, so you need to be careful which one you choose.

nimper fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 27, 2015

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Same. I've watched some YouTube reviews (yeah yeah I know) that have been highly positive, and the benchmarks I've seen have also been positive. Still, I'd like to see Anandtech or someone review it before I drop the $.

I'll probably buy it as soon as its available in the US since I'm taking a trip at the end of the month where having a dual-sim card will be very helpful, but I think this is always wise. I was antsy about the intel processor, but tablets have basically all switched over to intel and everything seems to be going ok. My big concern was battery life and I assumed Asus put a 3000MAh to mitigate this, but early reports are the battery life is great. Nearly two days with moderate usage. I suspect that some games might have compatibility issues, but I don't game at all so its not a big deal to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm loving the Moto X (2013) so far however I immediately want another inch on this screen. Also the OS is crazy cluttered. It's smooth thank god, but if there's one thing Windows Phone DID actually do right it was the UX experience was great.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

nimper posted:

AT&T/Cricket primarily uses Band 4 (1700 mhz) and 17 (700mhz) for LTE.
Zenfone 2 supports both 4 and 17, plus band 2 and 5 which AT&T also uses in some areas.

edit: Actually some of the variants don't have Band 17 support, so you need to be careful which one you choose.

Thanks! Yeah the ones I've found support 1700 for sure, but 700 doesn't look as consistent, or at least they indicate 700 MHz but then "band 28". I take it that wouldn't work? Or if it supports 1700/700, it has to specify bands 4 and 17?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Thanks! Yeah the ones I've found support 1700 for sure, but 700 doesn't look as consistent, or at least they indicate 700 MHz but then "band 28". I take it that wouldn't work? Or if it supports 1700/700, it has to specify bands 4 and 17?

Right, 4 and 17 are what AT&T uses. Band 28 isn't used by any of the US carriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

BonoMan posted:

I'm loving the Moto X (2013) so far however I immediately want another inch on this screen. Also the OS is crazy cluttered. It's smooth thank god, but if there's one thing Windows Phone DID actually do right it was the UX experience was great.

Get a 2014 X or a Nexus 6.

Also you might be the only person that's ever called the X's OS cluttered.