Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

meatpimp posted:

Welfare recipients pants making GBS threads on internet people who have done something in life.
hell yeah dogger, all these people who've never had their spine ritually broken with a two by four for getting their boss an espresso instead of a french roast are a bucnh of lovely daipy welfare recipient twelve-year-olds. Do you work in the Boothill Saloon in Dodge City in 1870 too? *high five*

I'm Crap fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

go3 posted:

i just went out and shot one of my employees because this is Texas and AT-WILL EMPLOYMENT BITCH YOU BETTER TOUGHEN UP HOW DA FUK YOU EVER GONNA MAKE IT IN THE TV WORLD

You trying to run for President or something?

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
Clarkson could have drawn and quartered a black man on a live taping and this thread would most likely defend it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Chalets the Baka posted:

Clarkson could have drawn and quartered a black man on a live taping and this thread would most likely defend it.

Clarkson could have mentioned the producer was Irish and all the British tabloids would have called him to be sacked for racism.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Chalets the Baka posted:

that's because top gear is better than that is bad

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Chalets the Baka posted:

Listen dude you just don't understand the business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

Listen dude you just don't understand the business.

This isn't like your office job, boy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
if you don't understand why multi-million dollar cash cows get more leeway than an office job then you have no idea how the entire world works, and not just the entertainment business.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

if you don't understand why multi-million dollar cash cows get more leeway than an office job then you have no idea how the entire world works, and not just the entertainment business.

That must be why they are quoting the John Galt speech in your probations, because you are so well informed about what should and should not work in the 'real world' :ironicat:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I dont understand, who is Clarkson regenerating into? I hope its not Peter Capaldi.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

CommieGIR posted:

That must be why they are quoting the John Galt speech in your probations, because you are so well informed about what should and should not work in the 'real world' :ironicat:

people who use SA probations as their burn material should be punched in the face by Clarkson too

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cole posted:

people who use SA probations as their burn material should be punched in the face by Clarkson too

:allears: Tell me more.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Top Gear is over, there's only one logical thing to do now.

Mr. Calculus, TEAR DOWN THIS THREAD

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MrChips posted:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It was a fun ride.

MrChips posted:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H-Y7MAASkg

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

MrChips posted:

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Preoptopus posted:

Pussies who have never had their asses handed to them at work or in life happened to this thread.

Where I live, if my boss spent 20 minutes hurling insults at me and threatening to have me fired for what was at most a minor gently caress-up, he would get canned. If an NCO or an officer had done it in the military, they'd get canned too.

I guess it helps that there are laws in place that prevents you from treating your underlings (or coworkers, or superiors) like dogshit. Those laws apply everywhere, including the television and movie industries. From what I know, this is the case in the UK as well. And most of western Europe.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Is April fool's day a thing in the UK?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Scherloch posted:

If an NCO or an officer had done it in the military, they'd get canned too.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha no. no they wouldn't.

i was getting kicked in the ribs while doing push ups when i joined. you know what happened to that NCO? he got promoted a few months later.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cole posted:

i was getting kicked in the ribs while doing push ups when i joined. you know what happened to that NCO? he got promoted a few months later.

Your NCO wasn't a celebrity and it didn't get in the news.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Scherloch posted:

Where I live, if my boss spent 20 minutes hurling insults at me and threatening to have me fired for what was at most a minor gently caress-up, he would get canned. If an NCO or an officer had done it in the military, they'd get canned too.

Truly, the words of a man who has been in the military. Thank you for your service.

MrChips posted:

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Cole posted:

I thought I made it clear that I was referring to how it works where I live. In fact, I specifically pointed it out. But hey, go on believing that the whole world works exactly like America.

djdanno13 posted:

Truly, the words of a man who has been in the military. Thank you for your service.

Well, it is truly the words of a man who's been in the military. Though, it probably wasn't yours so you don't have to thank me.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Scherloch posted:

I thought I made it clear that I was referring to how it works where I live.

Yeah, "where I live" and "from what I know, this is the case in the UK as well" made it real clear about where you were talking about.

If the British military behaved more like American military, maybe they wouldn't be 0-1 against us in wars.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
So, to summarize: the people who are saying "that's the way the world is" have all been on the receiving end of workplace abuse and find it hard to accept that they are victims, instead preferring to embrace and support the abuse?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Cole posted:

If the British military behaved more like American military, maybe they wouldn't be 0-1 against us in wars.

They fought us to a stalemate in 1812 also what the gently caress are you even going on about, that workplace violence should be encouraged?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

uPen posted:

They fought us to a stalemate in 1812 also what the gently caress are you even going on about, that workplace violence should be encouraged?

0-1-1*

If Clarkson was going around knocking people out on a regular basis you would have a point. One fight shouldn't be enough for someone to lose their job. Stop being such a pansy. It's not like he put the guy in the ER. There are much more egregious* (autocorrect made that gregarious before the edit) things that people do in work places all the time that you're not raging against that are equally in the public eye.

Cole fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Mar 27, 2015

Scherloch
Oct 28, 2010

Yeah!

Cole posted:

Yeah, "where I live" and "from what I know, this is the case in the UK as well" made it real clear about where you were talking about.

Well, given that I pointed out that where I live we have laws that make that kind of poo poo illegal, it should have been obvious that I wasn't referring to the United States of Getting Chewed Out And Beaten Up By Your Boss For Forgetting To Double Space That Fiscal Report.

Cole posted:

0-1-1*

If Clarkson was going around knocking people out on a regular basis you would have a point. One fight shouldn't be enough for someone to lose their job. Stop being such a pansy. It's not like he put the guy in the ER. There are much more egregious* (autocorrect made that gregarious before the edit) things that people do in work places all the time that you're not raging against that are equally in the public eye.

Yeah, in most of the western world, one fight will cost you your job. Especially this kind of "fight", where one party did absolutely nothing.

I'm starting to see why the idiots-thread in GiP is named after you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cole posted:

It's not like he put the guy in the ER.
No that's exactly what it's like because the ER, precisely, is where he went.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

My Lovely Horse posted:

No that's exactly what it's like because the ER, precisely, is where he went.

A&E is the only place open all hours, not outpatients, you wilfully thick idiot

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

djdanno13 posted:

Since the show as we know it is dead, this thread should be our memoriam where we post our favorite .gifs or our first time seeing the show, or just reminisce.

I remember the first time I saw Top Gear. I was in Iraq for 8 months when we finally got AFN and they broadcast the amphibious car special. I remember laughing my rear end off and it really made me smile at a time when there wasn't much smiling going on. Thanks top gear.

The first time I saw Top Gear was on Netflix. I had sprained my ankle bad in the course of topping off the coolant in my new car (hit head on ajar garage door and fell) so I figured I might as well watch something car related.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MrChips posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

wayfinder posted:

So, to summarize: the people who are saying "that's the way the world is" have all been on the receiving end of workplace abuse and find it hard to accept that they are victims, instead preferring to embrace and support the abuse?

No they're just tired of people trying to ~*~protect~*~ them from a world they don't really have a problem with. And it is literally "how that world is" for some jobs, no matter how much people want it to change. For you to equate a workplace where people deal with their issues in a rough manner to a domestic abuse victim is incredibly insulting to actual victims of abuse. Just because there was a fight doesn't imply that it's a pattern of violence and if a bunch of dudes want to get in a rumble and noone gets their feelings hurt, why do you need to stop them?

edit, wording

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Mar 27, 2015

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I think every MANLY MAN in the world deserves an honest full swung punch in the face for running your mouth at least once. Really puts the world in perspective.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 27, 2015

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
Cars are bad and so is every poster in this thread.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Good news: Oggie the producer isn't pressing charges:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/mar/27/top-gear-producer-oisin-tymon-will-not-press-charges-against-jeremy-clarkson

quote:

Paul Daniels from employment lawyers Slater and Gordon, said: I have been asked to issue a statement on behalf of my client Oisin Tymon regarding police enquiries in this matter.

Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesnt want to press charges. The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends. Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible. Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.

Mr Tymon agrees with the BBCs stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible.

Welcome news because if I had to read running coverage of a Clarkson criminal trial, I'd fly a plane in the Guardian's offices.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Sir Tonk posted:

No they're just tired of people trying to ~*~protect~*~ them from a world they don't really have a problem with. And it is literally "how that world is" for some jobs, no matter how much people want it to change. For you to equate a workplace where people deal with their issues in a rough manner to a domestic abuse victim is incredibly insulting to actual victims of abuse. Just because there was a fight doesn't imply that it's a pattern of violence and if a bunch of dudes want to get in a rumble and noone gets their feelings hurt, why do you need to stop them?

edit, wording

Again, there wasn't a fight. There was a dude yelling at someone drunkenly for twenty minutes, then punching him and having to be hauled off by other people. It got self-reported because it was so beyond the pale everyone was freaked out about it. Also, it's domestic abuse even if you just scream at your wife and punch her once for not having a hot meal ready for you, you don't actually need a 'pattern of violence'.

What I don't get about "This is how the world works!" people is that, well, clearly, it getting reported and the guy getting fired is demonstratively how the world works. Everyone knows there are lovely jobs where assholes are allowed free reign, nobody is confused about this. There are also jobs where you can't get away with poo poo like this: This is one of them. At most jobs, though, the non-broken ones, screaming at an underling for twenty minutes will get you into severe trouble, and punching one will get you fired because it's a huge, huge liability issue and companies don't want to get the poo poo sued out of them.

I do find it funny that the people who aren't willing to take verbal and physical abuse from a superior are the 'pussies', that's a nifty inversion. You might think the people who let themselves get humiliated and assaulted because they've convinced themselves they have to take it are the pussies, but no, apparently that's hard as nails.

To try to haul poo poo remotely back on topic: The show is a show about cars. It is not a show about the three presenters. The three presenters worked very well with the format, but the format can survive them, because it's a show about cars, which are pretty cool and the format works well in the way that it showcases cars and car-related stuff.