Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Fat Samurai posted:

Tzeentch finally clicked for me in Chaos in the Old World yesterday. I can do OK with the other three gods, but I was unable to get my head around the magic guy.

Being a dick, running away with my cultists while taking my toys with me, always having PPs and having 2-3 moves to play with after everyone was empty was great. I'm usually the kind of guy who feels bad when I'm antagonizing other people in games, but this time I positively gloated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Samurai posted:

On a lark, I picked up the last book after watching the movie in all its 80s Sting glory..

:smith:

Speaking of movie-themed games that don't suck, I'm enjoying Legendary: Encounters much more than I should, given that I disliked Marvel Legendary.

Are the systems similar enough that you can make the Xmen fight Aliens if you have both?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Exactly. The Rumda train was fun.

Rutibex posted:

Are the systems similar enough that you can make the Xmen fight Aliens if you have both?

Yes, you can have Ripley in a loader suit fighting magneto. There are some terminology swaps (Ambush=Reveal, for example), but that's it.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 27, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

The game ends one of two ways, when someone builds their last (15th) trading post, or the last personality card is bought, and the number of personality cards available depends on the number of players available. Personally I don't feel that one of these criteria is reached more than the others. I've played a few games of 2-player Concordia as well as some 4- and 5-player games and I'd say it's a 50:50 split on which end-game condition we meet.

Interesting - I've played Concordia three or four times now and I've never seen it end by the placing of trade posts. All those games have been 5-player, and when there's five of you it gets too expensive to build them all. I think that mechanism is more likely to come into play at lower counts. Anyway, what's more important is that several routes to the end game are equally viable.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Sloober posted:

Space alert is great but as a warning people either love the game or hate it, there's not much middle ground.

I have found the middle ground: my friends. They swear up and down that it's a great game and they really like playing it, yet they never want to play a second game. I'm like "it's set up, it only takes 10 minutes, and you say you like it, but you don't want to play again?" So they are apparently the middle ground. Or liars.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Jedit posted:

Interesting - I've played Concordia three or four times now and I've never seen it end by the placing of trade posts. All those games have been 5-player, and when there's five of you it gets too expensive to build them all. I think that mechanism is more likely to come into play at lower counts. Anyway, what's more important is that several routes to the end game are equally viable.

I'd say overall across all player counts it's been 50:50, but with 4-5 players it is more likely to end via the cards, with 2-3 it's more likely to end via trading posts.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Elysium posted:

I have found the middle ground: my friends. They swear up and down that it's a great game and they really like playing it, yet they never want to play a second game. I'm like "it's set up, it only takes 10 minutes, and you say you like it, but you don't want to play again?" So they are apparently the middle ground. Or liars.

Some games are just mentally draining though. I haven't played Space Alert personally but from what I've seen it seems like a very intense 10 minutes of constant dicussion and planning, I'd probably want a short break between rounds at least.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Zveroboy posted:

Some games are just mentally draining though. I haven't played Space Alert personally but from what I've seen it seems like a very intense 10 minutes of constant dicussion and planning, I'd probably want a short break between rounds at least.

This, it can get pretty stressful if you have people that really get into the game and sometimes you just want to hang on a couch with a beer and chat over something light.

Also, I have a friend who absolutely can't stand losing in Space Alert. He feels the game is very hard on the players and doesn't see it as a challenge, but as unfair.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

**Relevant rule for card back discussion:
OMEGA FORM: Visibility is reversed: Cards in pilot hands must face away from them. You are no longer allowed to see your own cards, but you may see others'.

I've never done a PnP in my life because I am lazy but maaaan everything about Final Attack sounds like a hilarious disaster (in the good Space Alert way).

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Rutibex posted:

If your going to make a Dune set nothing beats the 1970's board game feel of the original components:
https://www.mediafire.com/?myyeajm29mmqv0v

Also when making a Dune set don't get some hoity toity "professional printing" that could cost you upwards of tens of dollars. Instead go to any thrift store and check out their board game section. There you will find at least 5 copies of Trivial Pursuit, which has an excellent 4-fold board that converts very nicely for dune (as well as lots of cards and tokens to use for components):

I love thrift store shopping. Or at least, I did until bed bugs became an epidemic in my city, but anyway, I've long observed that you can find at least one copy of Trivial Pursuit in every single thrift store in America.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

I'd say overall across all player counts it's been 50:50, but with 4-5 players it is more likely to end via the cards, with 2-3 it's more likely to end via trading posts.

For us it's ended via the last card getting bought 3 times out of the 4, only once with 2 players have all the cities been placed.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Played Argent for the first time last night. 4 players.

Holy hell is there a LOT going on this game. I will need to play it some more, but it's pretty freaking good!

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
So I've got Pictomania and Dungeon Petz in my CSI cart. Need to pick up another game for free shipping. I was thinking Tash-Kalar but I am unsold on it being that good of a 4 player game, and I'm pretty sure my girlfriend will dislike it playing 1v1 (we play very few 2 player games anyway).

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

So I got pictomania and the components are fine, but the plastic insert is messed up - the plastic is ripped in multiple places. Is that the type of thing the publisher might replace?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

burger time posted:

So I got pictomania and the components are fine, but the plastic insert is messed up - the plastic is ripped in multiple places. Is that the type of thing the publisher might replace?

Yes, I think so. They are a good publisher.

Regarding Tash-Kalar 4 player teams, I finally got to play it and it's actually pretty sweet! I think it can be justified as a purchase even if you play it primarily as a 4p game because it fills a niche that won't quickly be replaced (2v2 team abstract with a little bit of chrome). And, for what it's worth, I actually think I enjoyed TK more 4p than Dungeon Petz. But I'm kind of burnt out on worker placement and this opinion would probably be different 2 years ago

If I didn't already have many 4p games I probably wouldn't start with TK, though.

e: to clarify a little bit. If I'm considering something like Dungeon Petz these days, I'll probably end up playing Keyflower or Archipelago instead. Maybe Argent since my friend has that now. Or I might just play a role selection game since I prefer those to WP but they scratch a similar enough itch for myself and cohorts. However, if I feel like playing a team abstract game I don't know that I'm going to find a lot of competition for TK. Maybe Tichu? But not really.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 27, 2015

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dominion Adventures teasers coming out. Card previews start on Monday, but until then:

quote:

Previews start Monday! As a special treat for the weekend, here are some teasers – bits of information about the expansion that don’t actually tell you any cards. I will not be further explaining this stuff! Well not until after the set is out, and by then it shouldn’t need much explanation.

Some things you will find in Dominion: Adventures:

– 22 dividing lines
– 8 big arrows
– 7 cards with 3 types
– 3 treasures, including an attack and a village
– 2 12-card piles, including a victory card worth 0 VP the turn you buy it
– +$3, +$4, and +$5
– a card that gives the 2nd player an advantage
– a card you can play when it isn’t your turn
– a card that draws you 5 cards when Throned
– word counts: Supply: 15; Game: 4; Turn: 31; Token: 16.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
A Treasure village??? That's insane.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I downloaded Galaxy Trucker for Android to keep me entertained on essentially a day's worth of flying. I love it! I love it so much that I'm really tempted to make it my next game purchase, if it wasn't for Dominion: Adventures just down the pike.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
What's the thread consensus on Last Will? It looks pretty neat and I like the theme, but dunno how long of a lifespan the game has.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

CodfishCartographer posted:

What's the thread consensus on Last Will? It looks pretty neat and I like the theme, but dunno how long of a lifespan the game has.

My friend picked it up but we haven't had a chance to play it, I'll try to write up my impressions once we've played it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

The Old Friend card in the original was simply overpowered if you got it at the start of the game. However I don't know if the expansion fixed/alleviated that or not. Anyone know?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Hmm, alright. The primary reason I’m asking is that my group has grown bored with most of the stuff we’ve been playing for a while and are looking for some new stuff. I like the kinda backwards thinking required for Last Will so figured we might give it a shot. We don’t have huge preference for games, but two of us are game designers so we generally don’t enjoy stuff the thread doesn’t enjoy with weak mechanics.

Anyone have suggestions for obscureish / not as popular or well known games for 3-4(or more) players?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hmm, alright. The primary reason I’m asking is that my group has grown bored with most of the stuff we’ve been playing for a while and are looking for some new stuff. I like the kinda backwards thinking required for Last Will so figured we might give it a shot. We don’t have huge preference for games, but two of us are game designers so we generally don’t enjoy stuff the thread doesn’t enjoy with weak mechanics.

Anyone have suggestions for obscureish / not as popular or well known games for 3-4(or more) players?

Well what has your group been playing recently? Kind of hard to recommend things that will feel new to you, if we don't know what you have been playing.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Madmarker posted:

Well what has your group been playing recently? Kind of hard to recommend things that will feel new to you, if we don't know what you have been playing.

Fair enough :v: We aren’t super picky, so figured I’d leave it somewhat open. Some of our favorite games recently have been Quantum, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Kemet, King’s Forge, Artificium, Lifeboat, Samurai Spirit, and Chinatown.

We also play Archipelago, Twilight Imperium, and Caverna / Agricola when we have a whole day to play. Usually we play at a local cafe after work, so we don’t usually go for stuff that require massive amounts of table space. Generally we don’t prefer stuff with lots of physical / time restraints.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I would recommend Kemet.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Fair enough :v: We aren’t super picky, so figured I’d leave it somewhat open. Some of our favorite games recently have been Quantum, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Kemet, King’s Forge, Artificium, Lifeboat, Samurai Spirit, and Chinatown.

We also play Archipelago, Twilight Imperium, and Caverna / Agricola when we have a whole day to play. Usually we play at a local cafe after work, so we don’t usually go for stuff that require massive amounts of table space. Generally we don’t prefer stuff with lots of physical / time restraints.

Looks like you're looking for stuff more on the strategy end of the spectrum instead of the random bullshit end.

If you want something that takes up very little table space and works well at a cafe, the following are good (these are pretty light and quick games though, but still a decent chunk of strategy):

Coup
Hey, That's My Fish (the tiny FFG version)
Love Letter
No Thanks
Red7
Sushi Go (no page for this one yet)

As a bonus all of these games together will cost about the same amount as a single larger game.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Mar 27, 2015

EBag
May 18, 2006

Concordia is pretty good, as has been said the last page or so. Race or Roll for the Galaxy are also great games that play pretty quick though there is a bit of luck involved, though not a ton. Both are great with 2-3 but I like Race better if you're going to be playing with 4 regularly, the downtime in Roll seems a little higher with how it handles exploration and assigning dice to phases.

Istanbul is also a pretty good worker placement/pickup and deliver with a neat spatial mechanic where you're moving around a board and dropping off/picking up your workers. Has a modular board so there is some decent variety and different strategies to pursue, scales nicely from 2-5 and plays in under an hour, maybe just over with 5 players.

EBag fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 27, 2015

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

EBag posted:

Concordia is pretty good, as has been said the last page or so. Race or Roll for the Galaxy are also great games that play pretty quick though there is a bit of luck involved, though not a ton. Both are great with 2-3 but I like Race better if you're going to be playing with 4 regularly, the downtime in Roll seems a little higher with how it handles exploration and assigning dice to phases.

Istanbul is also a pretty good worker placement/pickup and deliver with a neat spatial mechanic where you're moving around a board and dropping off/picking up your workers. Has a modular board so there is some decent variety and different strategies to pursue, scales nicely from 2-5 and plays in under an hour, maybe just over with 5 players.

If you're gonna recommend last years kennerspiels, I'll go ahead and list the one you didn't name. I quite enjoyed Rococo, moreso than Concordia or Istanbul. It's a eurogame with elements of deckbuilding and area control, and it's got a unique theme of making dresses (and suits) for a french ball. It plays 4 really well, and I've enjoyed it every time I've played it. I'd say it takes 90-120 minutes, but my group tends to play slightly slow.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I've played it one and a half times and it's OK. I prefer League of Six by the same designer, though.

If you want a high speed filler, one of the favourites in our group is Dodekka. It's a simple push your luck set collection game, plays 2-6 (best at 4-6) and takes maybe 10 minutes tops.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lorini posted:

I would recommend Kemet.

Seconding this. I bought it on this thread's recommendation several months ago, and it's seen more play than anything else I've got, including filler games like Coup and Love Letter. People just love it halfway through turn 1. I think the best bit is there's just no bullshit. No number tracking or fiddly bits or all the crap that reminds you you're playing with plastic and cardboard; it's all telling people you're going to kill their troops and take the temple from their still-warm hands. Then you teleport in a die horribly and everyone laughs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've gone whole hog on Dominion...Was gonna pick up Seaside today, ended up adding Alchemy (and some other misc. stuff) to a Cool Stuff order to get to $100 for free shipping, and I went ahead and picked up all the promo cards off the BGG store too.

I've heard very mixed things about Alchemy; is it as bad as the goon mutterings would have me believe? Or is it just a weaker entry?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jivjov posted:

I've heard very mixed things about Alchemy; is it as bad as the goon mutterings would have me believe? Or is it just a weaker entry?

Dominion with Alchemy is still better than Star Realms, but that's the best I can say about it.

Apprentice is a cool card though.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lorini posted:

I would recommend Kemet.

I love Kemet - it's on the list of things we play a shitton, haha. Also We've played Coup and Love Letter a fair bit, as well. Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely gives me some good stuff to think about!

EBag
May 18, 2006

burger time posted:

If you're gonna recommend last years kennerspiels, I'll go ahead and list the one you didn't name. I quite enjoyed Rococo, moreso than Concordia or Istanbul. It's a eurogame with elements of deckbuilding and area control, and it's got a unique theme of making dresses (and suits) for a french ball. It plays 4 really well, and I've enjoyed it every time I've played it. I'd say it takes 90-120 minutes, but my group tends to play slightly slow.

Haven't played this one, usually theme doesn't matter that much to me but I just can't get excited about that theme. I'd definitely try it if someone I knew had it but I'm the one in my group who buys most of the games and I didn't have any interest in buying it and the mechanics sound kinda similar to Concordia which I already had. How different is it from Concordia?

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Lorini posted:

The Old Friend card in the original was simply overpowered if you got it at the start of the game. However I don't know if the expansion fixed/alleviated that or not. Anyone know?

I haven't found it to be overpowered. I've played 4 games, won 2 and gotten decently close in the others and haven't had a game yet where I got an Old Friend

For those who don't know the game, the Old Friend is your basic +1 action permanent card. The way a round goes is, each player picks a turn order for themself which also allots them a certain number of actions, facedown card draws and Errand Boys (a mini-worker placement mechanic). Then in turn order players send Errand Boys to claim the faceup cards from the board (as well as a few other benefits). Guaranteeing yourself an Old Friend requires taking an earlier turn order, which also means you'll have a weaker allotment of cards, actions and/or Errand Boys for the round. The game lasts 5-7 rounds, so the Old Friend will still possibly mean an extra 4-6 actions throughout the game, and it enables the Event cards that let you spend a ton of actions at once for a big benefit - I've played with people who have done very well with it. But there's multiple Old Friends in the deck that you can have a chance at, as well as one-shot extra action Events, as well as cards that will refund you or save you action points for doing a particular kind of action, most of which throw in some other benefit as well (such as buy or sell a house for no action once per turn, while adjusting the value up or down by $2). Some of these (including the Old Friend) are in the Crown deck, which means they are guaranteed to show up in every game, provided the game lasts long enough.

Anyway, the game seems pretty balanced to me, and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. It has a cute theme and concept - the idea is that you are racing to SPEND all of your money the fastest, which is a fairly unique twist. There's room for clever play and building powerful economic engines, which you will then have to break down and sell before the end of the game, and then squander your profit before everybody else does. Also, every time I've taught the game so far, someone will invariably ask "How do you get more money?", and then it sinks in and they get this excited look in their eyes.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

EBag posted:

Haven't played this one, usually theme doesn't matter that much to me but I just can't get excited about that theme. I'd definitely try it if someone I knew had it but I'm the one in my group who buys most of the games and I didn't have any interest in buying it and the mechanics sound kinda similar to Concordia which I already had. How different is it from Concordia?

We played and enjoyed Rococo with a group of 5 (i think?) - I was super excited about the mundane theme. It was fun, but definitely one of those games you gotta play a few times. By the time I realized my strategy wasn't working, it was too late to change it. Despite the fact I wasn't super happy with it because of that, I really want to play the game a second time. I wouldn't recommend it with a group of our size though, as it took a looong time to reach your turn.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

jivjov posted:

I've gone whole hog on Dominion...Was gonna pick up Seaside today, ended up adding Alchemy (and some other misc. stuff) to a Cool Stuff order to get to $100 for free shipping, and I went ahead and picked up all the promo cards off the BGG store too.

In order for the central mechanic (cards with a potion in the cost) to be worthwhile, the designer needed to make all of the cards both powerful and chainable so they would be worth buying in games with only one of them. They're not terrible but they lead to some one note strategies, some large action chains which slow down the game, and they increase the luck factor (if you get your potion with 3 estates while someone buys their first potion cost it can be frustrating) which is why it isn't super popular.

You should still have fun, just don't follow the rulebook's advice about making sure there are at least 3 Alchemy cards in any game, one or two work fine. And dilute the pool with the other expansions ASAP (since it sounds like you are getting hooked you will probably want to anyway).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I've been buying in release order, so I have base, intrigue, and soon to be Seaside and Alchemy, so Ihave a decent variety to play with.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

jivjov posted:

Yeah, I've been buying in release order, so I have base, intrigue, and soon to be Seaside and Alchemy, so Ihave a decent variety to play with.

Ahh, to experience it all over again for the first time :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

In order for the central mechanic (cards with a potion in the cost) to be worthwhile, the designer needed to make all of the cards both powerful and chainable so they would be worth buying in games with only one of them.

Sounds like someone forgot about Transmute and Vineyard. :v:

(although Vineyard is actually quite good).

Also possession is actually mediocre on most boards.