Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chichevache posted:

Usually they just kind of float there until you put the wheels back on, but if yours doesn't for some reason I guess you could buy a center stand. :shrug:

Hmm, knowing the bikes I've had with a center stand, that sounds like a really bad idea if you have two wheels off the bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My wife's beemer will just balance there... until she reads the next step which assumes she hasn't taken the front wheel off when it says "put weight on front end of motorcycle".

*oops*

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ReelBigLizard posted:

At a guess, probably the rake / trail of the steering. I expect the ZX had a much steeper rake than the hyoshit.

Motorcycle Handling & Chassis Design by Tony Foale is a great book if you're properly interested in the science of it all.

EDIT: Jinx

EDIT2: Found a gif that says it nicely

EDIT3:
Hmm and offset too.

http://www.gotagteam.com/KTM_Days/Story_Pages/2010/AFM_round-7_10.html

I intend to buy that book.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I realised something the other day. There is a road I ride down every day to get to work which has two roundabouts in a row (the council loves roundabouts in industrial areas) which aren't intersections because the side roads haven't been built yet, so you have no choice but to go straight through. They're essentially chicanes with perfect visibility and good pavement.

Aww, now you've made me remember Royal Albert Way and Connaught Road (https://goo.gl/maps/elzms) when they were first built - no turnings, no traffic, 7 roundabouts (most of them with no side turnings) covered in ShellGrip, and every once in a while you got to race a plane taking off from City Airport like Tom Cruise in Top Gun.

Obviously such perfection couldn't be allowed to exist in this world, now every weekend in the summer there are speed traps all over the place - not that it matters because all the construction traffic has torn the ShellGrip to pieces and the lovely painted warning lines in the braking zones make them feel like corduroy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There used to be three roundabouts but then they realised roundabouts are a godawful idea in an industrial area intended for large truck access so when they finally built one of the side roads, they deleted the roundabout and made it a T-junction. Clever.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

Hmm, knowing the bikes I've had with a center stand, that sounds like a really bad idea if you have two wheels off the bike.

DRZ. It just sits there on the bash plate. Obviously it is unstable as hell, but I'm the only one in my garage and I don't have any other options. :shrug: what's the worst that can happen?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If you haven't got a spare mailbox in your garage, nothing much. If you do, quarantine that poo poo immediately.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Chichevache posted:

DRZ. It just sits there on the bash plate. Obviously it is unstable as hell, but I'm the only one in my garage and I don't have any other options. :shrug: what's the worst that can happen?

Congratulations on your DRZ, you must be very proud.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Radbot posted:

Congratulations on your DRZ, you must be very proud.

Wanna buy it? I think it works now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I'd buy your DRZ if I could cheech.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I'd buy your DRZ if I could cheech.

I can roll it off the pier and the tides should get it their eventually. I think the engine is aluminum? that should be fine with saltwater, right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rebuilding an ocean-going DRZ SM here would still be cheaper than buying a roadworthy one, I've got no problem with that.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

Is there a blood sacrifice that comes with it?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Slavvy posted:

Rebuilding an ocean-going DRZ SM here would still be cheaper than buying a roadworthy one, I've got no problem with that.

"Roadworthy" is a strong word to use here.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Is there a blood sacrifice that comes with it?

Every morning before riding you must prick your finger with a needle and let the blood drip freely into the gas tank. This should appease the tokoloshe until next time.

Edit
poo poo, it is a tokoloshe. I'm going to guy try pricking my prick to see if a more virile flow can chase it off. Brb.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 27, 2015

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Well, my 2003 SV1000 died on the way to work this morning. It was in the shop a short time ago, and they replaced the fuel pump and filters and added a power commander. I've had it back from them for a month or so, and have been riding every day with no issues. I was riding it this morning when it suddenly hesitated as if starved for fuel, then promptly died. I'm pretty sure there's still gas in the tank. I was able to start it again immediately, but it died again after 10 to 15 seconds. I'll pull her apart this weekend to see if I can find anything obvious. Any suggestions?

Edit: The bike hasn't shown any signs of running rough up until it promptly died. The fuel light wasn't on, and I had only ridden 100 miles on the tank. I think I could feel fuel slosh around when shaking the bike. The lights and dash stayed lit, and the engine cranked strongly when I restarted it.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Mar 27, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Be sure there is gas in the tank, not 'pretty sure', cause I'm 'pretty sure' you're out of gas.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah they probably didn't hook the level sensor up right when you had the pump and filter replaced.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Gas tank vent? If that's clogged up it won't let the fuel flow. See if it runs/starts with the cap open.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

nsaP posted:

Be sure there is gas in the tank, not 'pretty sure', cause I'm 'pretty sure' you're out of gas.

Ha ha, yeah, the plan is to go fill a gas can first just to be certain. Would've done that immediately, but I had to get to work.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Back during my brief time with the ducati, I had the same thing happen. Bike died on my way to work. I was LIVID. I opened up the gas cap while I was waiitng for AAA to come, and it was BONE DRY.

Fuel light never came on.

Depending on what drives the fuel light, if the tank was already low when the bike was started, the light might not come on at all. Or the sender is dead, or just not hooked up.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
My first bike didn't have a fuel gauge or a light, so I had to learn to watch the odometer and fill up about every 100 miles. It was a small bike with a small tank, and it didn't have a trip odometer, either. It used to piss me off but now I think it was a pretty good habit to be forced into. I still get a little antsy when I hit 100 miles on a tank, though it's usually another 20-30 miles before the light comes on.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I got like 130 miles on the last tank, and filled up before the low fuel light came on. Now, I've gotten more comfortable on the bike and have been using more throttle lately, but it seems like that would be a huge mileage change.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Alceste posted:

My first bike didn't have a fuel gauge or a light

:wtc:

Just, why

Unless it was a pitbike or a lovely field bike, or from the 19th century

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
My '95 Vulcan had a reserve position on the fuel valve. Bike runs out of gas, reach down and switch to reserve, 25 more miles.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Just, why

My ninja 250 didn't. It's not that hard to fill up based on miles

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

M42 posted:

My ninja 250 didn't. It's not that hard to fill up based on miles

Which is fine if you ride the same route every single day - during the week I get 25ish mpg, but at weekends it can run anything between 20mpg if I head into town or really go for a thrash or >50 mpg if I do some distance. Also that "ish" in 25ish is pretty loving big, reserve-to-reserve range will vary between 50 and 90 miles depending on what sort of traffic I hit.

(Yes my fuel tank is laughably small, but i am unashamed)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just, why

In the days before efi and electronics, there was an ancient time shrouded in mystery called The 90's. In the 90's (and the undocumented dark-ages of Before) you got a fuel tap and an odometer and you were expected to know (after a few times) that after x mileage the bike would fuel starve and you switch to reserve and find a gas station. It turns out, your brain has a latent trip-computer capability that neolithic man used to work out how far he could walk on a slab of mammoth meat. These genes are still there, within you, like a small super-power you never knew you had!

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Slavvy posted:

In the days before efi and electronics, there was an ancient time shrouded in mystery called The 90's. In the 90's (and the undocumented dark-ages of Before) you got a fuel tap and an odometer and you were expected to know (after a few times) that after x mileage the bike would fuel starve and you switch to reserve and find a gas station. It turns out, your brain has a latent trip-computer capability that neolithic man used to work out how far he could walk on a slab of mammoth meat. These genes are still there, within you, like a small super-power you never knew you had!

Or if you're like me: Ride until the bike dies - reach down to switch to reserve - realize it was already on reserve - push bike to gas station.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

Or if you're like me: Ride until the bike dies - reach down to switch to reserve - realize it was already on reserve - push bike to gas station.

Not gonna lie, did this once on a bike that had the main blocked so it was always set to reserve. At least it was an RG150 so pushing it up that 100m slope in the middle of summer in all my gear wasn't that big a deal! And when I realised I had left my wallet at home the friendly Holden salesman filling up a barina let me scab a few liters to get home.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

SquadronROE posted:

Literally ten minutes ago for me!:hfive:

Slavvy posted:

:boom:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Day Man posted:

I got like 130 miles on the last tank, and filled up before the low fuel light came on. Now, I've gotten more comfortable on the bike and have been using more throttle lately, but it seems like that would be a huge mileage change.

I ran a ninja 250 out of gas because it usually got at least 190 to a tank but turns out when you are WOT and above 9k for most of the ride, even a ninja 250 only gets about 35 mpg.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The reserve on the petcock is literally how you tell you need to fill up. It worked fine for about 80 years and it still works fine. Stop whining that you can't find which iphone app tells you you're low on gas. Jesus.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The reserve on the petcock is literally how you tell you need to fill up. It worked fine for about 80 years and it still works fine. Stop whining that you can't find which iphone app tells you you're low on gas. Jesus.

When I rode a bike without a reserve petcock and it died, that was the first time I ever had to call AAA to fill my tank.

My cb500x has an honest to god fuel gauge. You either have the reserve petcock or a fuel gauge, and dont half rear end it.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Just, why

It was a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40. :tipshat: Cheap, primitive, drat near foolproof. Also a tiny girlbike that I looked ridiculous on.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh right, styling. I keep forgetting bike design is 99% informed by appearance. Which is fair enough, for most people being practical means getting a car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What button do I need to press to trigger the rant about how speedos are also unnecessary.

I can understand there are types of bike that don't need a fuel gauge, and I get it's not hard to make do, but fuel gauges are such an old technology and so useful that I can't really grok why you'd put anything else on a vehicle intended primarily for road use.

At this point I'm mostly squinting at Twisto's Aprilla. :italy:

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

My ninjette just had the reserve, the 650 has a fuel gauge but I don't trust it at all for some reason, I still use the odometer. I'll get used to it I guess.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
My '08 Ninja 500 just has reserve. That's neither ancient, nor a tiny girl bike for girls!

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

ante posted:

My '08 Ninja 500 just has reserve. That's neither ancient, nor a tiny girl bike for girls!

To be fair the 08 Ninja 500 is the exact same bike as the same as 94, or even 87 if you ignore the partial redesign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Oh right, styling. I keep forgetting bike design is 99% informed by appearance. Which is fair enough, for most people being practical means getting a car.

What button do I need to press to trigger the rant about how speedos are also unnecessary.

I can understand there are types of bike that don't need a fuel gauge, and I get it's not hard to make do, but fuel gauges are such an old technology and so useful that I can't really grok why you'd put anything else on a vehicle intended primarily for road use.

At this point I'm mostly squinting at Twisto's Aprilla. :italy:

Hello shareholder! I am happy to inform you that our earnings per share have decreased by half a cent this quarter because we've started putting tachometers and fuel gauges in our motorcycles. it costs money to put parts on that customers don't demand or use to differentiate when buying motorcycles. But yes, having them would be better.