Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
What's the deal with this VoLTE stuff? I only get maybe two bars of 4G when I'm home. Am I at risk of missing calls? I feel like sometimes my calls go in and out, but I might be imagining things.

Are there any goon experts that know whether or not I'm just crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The Turbo is apparently gonna go straight to 5.1 according to a Moto engineer.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

kensei posted:

I have not tried the Nexus 6 but the Droid Turbo is the best phone I have tested in the Verizon store to date. The Moto Assist software, turbo charging, fantastic screen and wireless charging are all amazing.

Alright, cool cool, I'll look into it

FordPRefectLL posted:

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? :ohdear::hf::saddowns:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

blunt for century posted:

Alright, cool cool, I'll look into it

5.1 is supposed to not have the memory leak that plagued a lot of devices on 5.0.x but who knows. I am totally excited to get it and will happily beta test it if invited.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

blunt for century posted:

I guess Verizon demands VoLTE, and since it's built into 5.1, they're just skipping the 5.0.x versions for the Turbo.

Motorola Dude posted:

Porting all the VoLTE changes to 5.0 and then switch to the AOSP solution on 5.1 would be a huge waste of resources.
https://plus.google.com/100755391607976961458/posts/162JqEHsCVc

People have also reported a bug with ART. They say that it has to re-optimize apps, or whatever it does, on every reboot. I haven't tried that.

Mogomra fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 19, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
A few pages back there was talk about $10 cheaper data plans. We're currently on the Nationwide Family Share plan that has a shared bucket of minutes, unlimited SMS and each line has their own data plan. Looking into it, it seems like I can't knock $10 off the data for any of the 3 smartphones on the plan; is this because our plan is just that old?

Not interested in sharing data with my family members at this point; my sister is *very* good at using as much data as possible.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

A few pages back there was talk about $10 cheaper data plans. We're currently on the Nationwide Family Share plan that has a shared bucket of minutes, unlimited SMS and each line has their own data plan. Looking into it, it seems like I can't knock $10 off the data for any of the 3 smartphones on the plan; is this because our plan is just that old?

Not interested in sharing data with my family members at this point; my sister is *very* good at using as much data as possible.

The question here is: Are you all on unlimited data or is everyone on limited data currently? If you're on an old plan and everyone is on a LDP, you might consider moving to a share data plan anyhow.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Limited data. I see there is a way to cap a user's data allotment anyway, but that option costs $5 extra. I will weigh my options. My 20% off through my employer will still stack on the plan (but obviously not my edge payments), right?

e: According to Verizon the MORE Everything is actually $6 more expensive with less overall data (4GB versus 6GB).

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 20, 2015

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mogomra posted:

What's the deal with this VoLTE stuff? I only get maybe two bars of 4G when I'm home. Am I at risk of missing calls? I feel like sometimes my calls go in and out, but I might be imagining things.

Are there any goon experts that know whether or not I'm just crazy?

It'll be fine and you're most likely not missing calls.

In fact my apt also is a 1-2 bars of LTE kind of place and my VoLTE/HD calling works great. Far clearer than non hd calls with the same service.

And I don't miss calls.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

I did not appreciate the importance of Verizon Messages until I started working in a big copper building. This is awesome.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

It'll be fine and you're most likely not missing calls.

In fact my apt also is a 1-2 bars of LTE kind of place and my VoLTE/HD calling works great. Far clearer than non hd calls with the same service.

And I don't miss calls.

It's weird because I've had multiple people say I drop in and out of calls, but I can hear them just fine. For shits, I turned it off, and it's been totally fine for a few days.

:iiam: I'll try turning it on again, maybe it's just my neighborhood.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
How far away are we from being able to speak in HDVoice intercarrier? Really VZW <-> ATT.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Is there any flexibility in the upgrade date with Verizon? One of our lines isn't until December 28th 2015, I was kind of surprised it's a full 2 years and not 22 or 20 months or something. I guess I'm still used to how it was on Sprint.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

ninmeister posted:

Is there any flexibility in the upgrade date with Verizon? One of our lines isn't until December 28th 2015, I was kind of surprised it's a full 2 years and not 22 or 20 months or something. I guess I'm still used to how it was on Sprint.

Pretty variable. The 24 month thing is a relatively recent change. They might potentially offer an early upgrade.

Cozmosis fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 23, 2015

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Cozmosis posted:

Pretty variable. The 24 month thing is a relatively recent change. They might potentially GI e an early upgrade.

Yeah and depending if you're willing to go to edge they may go sooner. I was barely 6 months into a 2 year and they flipped me.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anyone happen to know what port the Verizon Messages app uses?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Just to make sure I didn't somehow miss it, Droid Turbo doesn't come with an SD Card slot does it?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Irritated Goat posted:

Just to make sure I didn't somehow miss it, Droid Turbo doesn't come with an SD Card slot does it?

Nope, but you can get it with 64GB onboard.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Contract has been up and the screen on my Droid 4 is going. I want the Note 4, but want it to come down in price, and I still have my old droid. Any suggestions?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

indoflaven posted:

Contract has been up and the screen on my Droid 4 is going. I want the Note 4, but want it to come down in price, and I still have my old droid. Any suggestions?

Keep your eye on best buy, target mobile etc.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

indoflaven posted:

Well, this is timely.

http://www.androidcentral.com/best-buy-4-day-sale-brings-price-savings-100-or-more-samsung-galaxy-note-4

$99 on contract for Verizon.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

FordPRefectLL posted:

When, though?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

:airquote: Soon :airquote:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
This is a weird question, but I upgraded to the iphone 6 back around October, and since then my bill has been suspiciously...low. I used to pay around $84 per month, now I'm paying $75. The only difference I remember in setup is that I added TEC to this new phone (last phone I just used Applecare). So if you don't count TEC (at $10/month), I basically shaved around $20 off my bill compared to my old phone - how the hell did I do that? My data allowance is 2gb, but I'm almost sure that's what it was last time.

Edit: Nevermind, I checked my post history and apparently they were running a deal at the time, $60 unlimited talk and text. Go me!

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 26, 2015

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009

The Best Buy website says $200 :(

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Cut by $100 != Cut to $100

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
$300 cut by $100.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I know I've asked this before but I think this weekend I'm finally upgrading: Droid Turbo is still best in class for battery life, right? It's all I care about.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I know I've asked this before but I think this weekend I'm finally upgrading: Droid Turbo is still best in class for battery life, right? It's all I care about.

yep

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
I am due for an upgrade next week. It sounds like Moto Turbo is the way to go, especially since I loved my maxx hd. They are $50 through Costco. Anyone aware of a better deal?

Also, thanks everyone who posts in this thread. Every time I buy a new phone it is a huge help.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012
Is there anyway to upgrade my phone with unlimited data without screwing up my data package?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Wokrider posted:

Is there anyway to upgrade my phone with unlimited data without screwing up my data package?

Yes. Upgrade through Best Buy but don't turn it on until you switch it with your existing sim card. It was discussed a few pages back in here or just go to slickdeals.net and search for Best Buy Verizon upgrade loophole.

Wokrider
Dec 4, 2012

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yes. Upgrade through Best Buy but don't turn it on until you switch it with your existing sim card. It was discussed a few pages back in here or just go to slickdeals.net and search for Best Buy Verizon upgrade loophole.

Will do, thanks for the info.

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

I thought that loophole was fixed?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Snappy phone but losing the settings button is very weird.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Baffling question:

How do I purchase, or otherwise obtain a Verizon nano SIM so that I can subscribe to prepaid data for my cellular iPad? It's a iPad mini 2, which I bought with AT&T prepaid service (that I also still use from time-to-time).

Apparently corporate stores won't give/sell SIM cards unless it's activated on a postpaid plan. I do not have a postpaid account, nor do I want one.

Verizon's website even advertises prepaid tablet data, but there's no option on that page to actually order or setup the service.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 29, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I thought that loophole was fixed?

As did I. If it's still open, I have 2 upgrades to burn.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hed posted:

How far away are we from being able to speak in HDVoice intercarrier? Really VZW <-> ATT.
"2015"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2471525,00.asp

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Wokrider posted:

There's the Best Buy way, and there will always be the full retail avenue, you just ideally want to wait a few weeks/months until the 'new hotness' goes on sale for ~$100-200 off.

Just means you really have to plan on using the phone for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
So my HTC One M8 stopped reading sim cards, I couldn't get to work after an hour, so I went the verizon store. They couldn't get to work even with a new sim card, so I they set me up to receive a refurbished replacement. I had to sign this big nasty agreement about if my phone was abused they will charge me for the replacement. How sticky are they on general ware and tear? I have dropped it a few times and the metal has some scratches and small dents on the edge but the glass is perfect and it doesn't have water damage.

• Locked thread