Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

we are down to 4 spots in Zimmer

Y'ALL SHOULD JOIN AND STAY

if it gets down to just one or two spots remaining, maybe I can GC someone their first season. but I probably don't need to go that route with 4 openings

nasboat fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I'm honestly tempted to do it but I really still suck at this

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Join Zimmer, I have another couple seasons before my prospects come up, and it's really fun to murder my team!

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

duyarvish posted:

I'm honestly tempted to do it but I really still suck at this

Do it. Feed the addiction. I'm up to four teams and I regret nothing.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Tommie Butler is back. Time for him to hit .400 and carry me to an inexplicable playoff run.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
God drat, the PM1 has already simmed.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

AlleyViper posted:

God drat, the PM1 has already simmed.

Maybe their changes actually fixed stuff.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I beat nasboat. New changes working as intended.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Surprised no one is talking about the draft prospects. My scouting is poo poo, so I barely see anyone worthwhile :(

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Light on hitters, modestly deep on pitchers

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
hey how come my minor league players aren't getting better, this is bullshit

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

I'm actually going to work on a HS draft write-up this afternoon. As always I'm totally blind to the college guys.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

The broken bones posted:

hey how come my minor league players aren't getting better, this is bullshit

They're improving but not by the leaps I would hope for in your situation. I'd consider splurging a little more on minor league coaches next season if I were you. Still plenty of growth left in your top guys.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I have Art level scouting and I'm gonna end up drafting a schlub in the top 5 aren't i

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Here is a numbered list of fake baby baseballers for your perusal. College is a black box of anti-knowledge and is not represented.

Starting pitchers

1) Jayson Evans (89) - The second coming of Jerry Sizemore, only this time he's left handed and has control! Only has two pitches but they're pretty good. I'm not sure if being a two pitch guy is a detriment when throwing 60-70 pitches a game. Not the guy for you if you're into a Set It and Forget It rotation.

2) Dann Parker (80) - Really high stamina guy with a durability rating that will limit his overall innings. Splits are average or slightly above average but everything else he's packing is good to elite. A really nice pick that will require a little babysitting.

3) Karl Thome (71) - He's got the best splits out of any potential starting pitcher in this class and his control is super elite. However, his durability and stamina will limit him to 150 innings at best and his pitch ratings are piss trash.

4) Ismael Pelaez (68) - Would be a decent low stamina SP prospect if it weren't for his control issues. All of his other ratings are pretty solid. Give him a whirl if you don't mind giving up the free pass.

5) Brian Peters (67) - A pretty solid high stamina SP prospect whose durability is absolutely tanking his OVR. He's also a very questionable sign because he's a 5'11" white guy who wants to play pro basketball. I'm assuming that's an excuse to travel Europe because he's probably not NBA material.

Relief pitchers

1) Will Gleason (80) - Will is a super stud next coming of Jesus reliever. He's also a questionable sign due to wanting to play pro hockey. Save up some prospect money and make sure he signs; this is the type of guy where a type D comp pick just makes you sad.

2) Julio Javier (72) - With control and right split in the 90s, and a near max P1, Julio is going to be very good. He'll have to be very good in a limited innings role though since his durability is a bit on the low side. Still he'll be a very good 80 or so inning guy.

3) Daniel Keppel (66) - A lefty reliever with slight control issues and good enough pitch ratings that it might not matter. But with a durability rating that's topping out in the mid 40s he's not going to be eating a lot of innings.

4) DJ King (65) - A questionable sign with a questionable control rating. But his max GB rating means that he'll get some action around the league if he decides to sign after the draft.

5) Fritz Christiani (63) - He's got low stamina and his P2 rating is not optimal, but this is a guy that will play around the league. He'll just to have to do it 10 pitches at a time.

Catcher/DH

1) Andy Monroe (66) - He doesn't have the pitch calling skill to play catcher unless you're crazy, and his durability isn't high enough to play there for a whole season anyway. He has an elite batting eye while the rest of his hitting skills are middling.

2) Brett Menechino (65) - He's barely acceptable as a defensive catcher but he doesn't have the durability to play a whole ton of games. An elite batting eye and pretty good left split mean he'll find a spot on some benches, but there's not much power to be had in that swing.

3) Yovani Moreno (63) - A really outstanding defensive catcher that can't hit a lick. He might pop the occasional accidental dinger but being on base is not going to be this guy's strong suit.

First Base/DH

1) Beck Hume (63) - Scouts aren't finding much here. Beck is a 5'8" no power first baseman who dreams of playing professional basketball. Pass.

Second Base

1) Carl Kubel (75) - His glove isn't quite there but his range is really good for the position. He's a switch hitter with some speed but unfortunately no power to speak of. He should still get on base a fair amount of the time and he won't hurt you on the field.

2) Lucas Pfisterer (68) - He's got speed and baserunning but that's about it. His range/glove are a little below average for the position and he has no power or batting eye. His contact and left split might mean he gets a little play as part of a platoon but I doubt he lights up the league.

3) Ronnie Coghlan (66) - My scouts have him listed as a 2B but I see him as more of a below average 3B on the field. He has great power but all his other hitting skills are mediocre at best. Quad A Superstar.

Third Base

1) Dave Green (69) - Below average in the field, bad speed, worse batting eye, and the only thing he has going for him is contact. But his projected OVR is 69 and that's Nice.

Shortstop

1) Louis Roundtree (89) - Shortstop is where all the position prospects are living this season. Louis doesn't quite have the range for the position but all his other defensive ratings. He swings a monster power bat though and can easily hold down the #3 or #4 spot in a lineup. Only knock on his hitting abilities is his batting eye but even that is just average instead of bad.

2) Nick Martin (87) - A pretty good facsimile of Louis Roundtree minus some points of durability. Better batting eye that Roundtree but worse contact rating. Range is still not quite there but with that bat it might be worth it to try.

3) Jaret Wells (83) - His glove tops out at 80 but all of the rest of his defensive ratings are in the elite+ range. No power in the bat but he should spend some time on base, especially against lefties. You can surely do a lot worse for a starting SS in this league.

4) Alvin Montgomery (79) - His defensive ratings are going to put him into the slightly below average category but he's not actively bad. He actually has a little power in his swing and a decent left handed split so expect a few balls to go over the wall. His speed and contact mean he won't be an on base machine but hey, shortstop.

5) Stump Hines (78) - Everything about this guy screams "Almost good enough". His defense is almost good enough for short, and his bat is almost good enough to carry him if he could actually play short. But instead of playing short, the entire package comes up a little short.

Left Field

1) Donovan Rigdon (77) - This guy is basically mediocre as gently caress at everything related to hitting and I hate that profile. He should play a good defensive LF though. I don't think he'll put up the OPS you want from a corner guy.

Center Field

1) Akinori Feng (76) - Good defensive CF with top tier speed. Unfortunately his baserunning leaves a bit to be desired. He's not really good at anything but contact when it comes to hitting, but he can probably fake it enough to play ML CF.

2) Mitchell Jones (76) - Better range than Feng but a worse glove. He's not quite as fast either but he has a little more power in his swing. Definitely a real ML CF prospect.

Right Field

1) Clyde Nelson (82) - Not quite the power some people look for in a COF but he's got really good splits and eye with top tier speed. He's a very questionable sign but his mother isn't his consultant so there's a chance you could pay highly and land him.

Let's see I suppose some sort of top 5 is in order...

1) Nick Martin - I'll take the very slightly better defense and OBP over Roundtree's durability
2) Louis Roundtree - ...not that that means Roundtree is bad by any means
3) Jayson Evans - Really only dropped because you have to babysit his innings to get the most out of him
4) Will Gleason - Would be #1 if he was a starter
5) Dann Parker - Picked him over Javier because he's a starter. I like this profile even with the slightly low splits.

Happy hunting everyone!

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

god damnit

how the hell do you break your arm while striking out Ernie Mantei

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

No high health pitcher is safe this season

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

nasboat posted:

god damnit

He obviously struck him out really really hard

Capt Murphy
Nov 16, 2005

All Pitchers Must Die

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

nasboat posted:

god damnit

Joel Zumaya-ed

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
i lost to Arts 13 command pitcher

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

duyarvish posted:

i lost to Arts 13 command pitcher

Only because Yasiel is a god amongst men this season

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

code:
Pythag	      AL	      NL	
	< .400	> .600	< .400	> .600
S30	3	6	2	2
S29	2	3	4	4
S28	2	3	3	3
S27	5	2	3	2
S26	3	3	3	4
S25	4	4	2	4
S24	5	2	5	3
S23	2	3	4	3
S22	4	4	4	2
S21	3	4	3	3
S20	4	3	4	4
AVG	3.36	3.36	3.36	3.09

< .350	> .650	< .350	> .650
S30	2	3	1	1
S29	1	1	2	3
S28	1	1	1	0
S27	2	2	0	0
S26	2	2	2	0
S25	2	2	2	3
S24	2	1	1	2
S23	1	0	2	0
S22	3	2	1	0
S21	3	2	0	1
S20	2	1	1	0
AVG	1.91	1.55	1.18	0.91

<.300	> .700	<.300	> .700
S30	2	1	0	0
S29	1	1	1	0
S28	1	1	0	0
S27	0	1	0	0
S26	1	0	0	0
S25	2	1	2	1
S24	0	0	1	0
S23	1	0	0	0
S22	1	1	0	0
S21	1	1	0	0
S20	1	1	0	0
AVG	1.00	0.73	0.36	0.09
Not loving this

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ArtVandelay posted:

Only because Yasiel is a god amongst men this season

Are we already at the "art declares [player] the second coming of jesus" stage with Gonzalez? That means "art trades [player] for pennies on the dollar" isn't too far off.

They grow up so fast...

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ThatsMyBoye posted:

code:
	<.300	> .700	<.300	> .700
S30	2	1	0	0
S29	1	1	1	0
S28	1	1	0	0
S27	0	1	0	0
S26	1	0	0	0
S25	2	1	2	1
S24	0	0	1	0
S23	1	0	0	0
S22	1	1	0	0
S21	1	1	0	0
S20	1	1	0	0
AVG	1.00	0.73	0.36	0.09

I'd like to point out that the only NL team to finish with a .700 Pythag in the last 10 seasons had a starting outfield including both Rigo Nunez and Howie Corbin

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Not loving this

Not really sure what you're getting at here, AL tanks a little harder and wins a little harder?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Michael Brea can go die in a fire

Tom Jakubauskas has seven losses already

He is a reliever

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Aramis Hernandez has a 12.66 BB/9. I kind of want to go for it with him, and break all sorts of league records.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Chip Steele returns

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

tatankatonk posted:

Chip Steele returns

This too shall pass

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

Not really sure what you're getting at here, AL tanks a little harder and wins a little harder?

Am I unreasonable if I don't like the thought of averaging a sub-.300 team a season? The good teams are fine, it's the utter suck that bothers me

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I can't possibly keep on the current pace of 2-21 on the road right?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Am I unreasonable if I don't like the thought of averaging a sub-.300 team a season? The good teams are fine, it's the utter suck that bothers me

No, that's fine, it's just hard to tell that that's the point you were making with all the other pythag ranges included and no specification. Maybe you don't like averaging only one .700 team in the NL every ten seasons!

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

i am 30-19 and cannot pull away from the rest of this god drat division, outlier pythags don't matter as much as healthy competition within the divisions AND THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH OF THAT IN THE NL EAST RIGHT NOW GOD DAMMIT

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

chutwig posted:

i am 30-19 and cannot pull away from the rest of this god drat division, outlier pythags don't matter as much as healthy competition within the divisions AND THERE IS WAY TOO MUCH OF THAT IN THE NL EAST RIGHT NOW GOD DAMMIT

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

chutwig posted:

Get well soon, Al Duchscherer

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

nasboat posted:

we are down to 4 spots in Zimmer

Y'ALL SHOULD JOIN AND STAY

if it gets down to just one or two spots remaining, maybe I can GC someone their first season. but I probably don't need to go that route with 4 openings

Would a couple of you aholes get in here already so we can start the drat season

I'm so spoiled by our quick dimaggio rollovers

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

AlleyViper posted:

Get well soon, Al Duchscherer

you've had your time in the sun, let somebody else (me) ascend now

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

not gonna lie, this makes me a little sad every time I see it

then I look at this and feel a bit better, at least

gardenald posted:

Would a couple of you aholes get in here already so we can start the drat season

I'm so spoiled by our quick dimaggio rollovers

no poo poo, LET'S GO PEOPLE, ONLY 3 SPOTS OPEN AND MAYBE DOWN TO 1 IF THE TWO LAZY PUBBIES THAT ASKED FOR THE PASSWORD ACTUALLY JOIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

What the gently caress did you idiots in the AL do?? You let Scrotos build an insane monster team!!!

tatankatonk fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 28, 2015

• Locked thread