Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

This is why Kuwait is the 19th province of Iraq.

Kuwait had democratic friends and presented an opportunity to end the cold war. Palestine doesn't, and support does nothing for democracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Palestinians aren't subhumans, they don't have any less dignity than Israelis or Americans or anyone else.

Two people of equal dignity fought wars, and one side won a clear and total victory. It isnt the first time and probably won't be the last.

When the allies beat the axis, the vanquished did the honorable thing and surrendered unconditionally. The conflict ended, the victors imposed their will, and vanquished were able to move on.

As long as the Palestinians keep acting like the Arabs didn't lose their wars with Israel, that the existence of Israel is some kind of open question, what can they possibly expect?

The existence of Israel is not an open question. Reasonable people can't disagree about whether israel exists and will continue to exist.

Israel won, why should it expect anything less than "we, Hamas and Islamic jihad, and other leaders of the Palestinian people unconditionally surrender our struggle to destroy Israel and unequivocally recognize its existence and right to exist on lands that were previously Arab controlled. We humbly ask Israel to help us rebuild and develop the lands left to us and commit fully to being a friendly neighbor and partner in perpetuity."

The Israeli Palestinian conflict isn't the first time the world has seen dirty wars. Elsewhere, things are addressed
After on by truth and reconciliation efforts and similar.

Do you actually think Israel officially annexed the West bank or something?

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Is "reacting" a good or constructive thing? Does it lead to better or worse outcomes for Palestinians?

So far the best outcomes seem to be when they react, and Israel overreacts, and the the rest of the world takes notice again.

Best is an extremely relative term here...

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

hakimashou posted:

Is "reacting" a good or constructive thing? Does it lead to better or worse outcomes for Palestinians?

I don't know but it's pretty cool how you got everyone itt "reacting" rather effortlessly, well played.

MIGF you could stand to learn a thing or two from this strapping young fascist, he's got moxy.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Kuwait had powerful allies, the Arabs who fought israel didn't. France had more powerful allies than Germany in ww2. Just happens to be how things work.

Kuwait lost a war with Iraq. The strong ate the weak. Then the rest of the world decided to go against the natural order, and spewed a bunch of bullshit about how invasions and annexations are wrong. As a consequence, the USA has bled itself over and over again in the Middle East for its sins against nature.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I guess I should have thrown in a few more ironicats, I sometimes forget how it is in a forum where people must appear the most leftest

Ironicat is specifically used to point out hypocrisy in whatever you're responding to, in colloquial goonspeak. To me, your joke would have been clearer without the ironicat. I would recommend :v: for delineating obvious sarcasm, friend!

hakimashou posted:

hakimashou posted:

Kuwait had powerful allies, the Arabs who fought israel didn't. France had more powerful allies than Germany in ww2. Just happens to be how things work.

So if we had been posting in 1940, you'd happily be supporting Nazi Germany and deriding the Jews, gays and other undesirables for not surrendering hard enough, correct? I think that's all we need from you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

Kuwait lost a war with Iraq. The strong ate the weak. Then the rest of the world decided to go against the natural order, and spewed a bunch of bullshit about how invasions and annexations are wrong. As a consequence, the USA has bled itself over and over again in the Middle East for its sins against nature.

War with Iraq presented an opportunity to end the cold war and win Bush re-election. It was a supreme accomplishment of James Baker; like most foreign policy, its 3d chess with both foreign and domestic considerations which are not directly related to the issue at hand.

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010
There's something absolutely hilarious about people defending Israel by saying "land is just land, dude" and "can't you just live somewhere else?"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Bel Shazar posted:

So far the best outcomes seem to be when they react, and Israel overreacts, and the the rest of the world takes notice again.

Martyring their children deliberately so that their powerless sympathizers sympathize with them more is not, in my view, a good outcome. It's a big reason I dislike Hamas so much.

It's like stabbing a lion with a stick until it becomes enraged, the at the last minute tossing you kid out for the lion to eat, to make the point that lions are bad because they eat your kids.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Bel Shazar posted:

So far the best outcomes seem to come when Netanyahu panics a couple of days before the elections and unceremoniously shits all over policies he's been publicly claiming to support for two decades, it also seems to help when he gets into personal beefs with Obama, it seems to me like we only need a few more elections and a couple more Obamas and we're good to go.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Naked Lincoln posted:

There's something absolutely hilarious about people defending Israel by saying "land is just land, dude" and "can't you just live somewhere else?"

Not really. The land is important to both people's, but they can't really share it. So, as is so often the case when two peoples want the same thing that they can't share, they fought over it. Israel won, so it's israel's.

The Palestinians have to find a way to live with that if they want a good future for their children.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I never said it was a good outcome... just that it has been the best so far. Though fair point about Netanyahu tripping over his own dick.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Martyring their children deliberately so that their powerless sympathizers sympathize with them more is not, in my view, a good outcome. It's a big reason I dislike Hamas so much.

It's like stabbing a lion with a stick until it becomes enraged, the at the last minute tossing you kid out for the lion to eat, to make the point that lions are bad because they eat your kids.

Those dastardly civil rights activists, putting their children in the way of dogs and fire hoses and bombs.

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Seriously, gently caress that monster Martin Luther King.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children%27s_Crusade_(civil_rights)

Naked Lincoln fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 28, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

Palestinians aren't subhumans, they don't have any less dignity than Israelis or Americans or anyone else.

Two people of equal dignity fought wars, and one side won a clear and total victory. It isnt the first time and probably won't be the last.

When the allies beat the axis, the vanquished did the honorable thing and surrendered unconditionally. The conflict ended, the victors imposed their will, and vanquished were able to move on.

As long as the Palestinians keep acting like the Arabs didn't lose their wars with Israel, that the existence of Israel is some kind of open question, what can they possibly expect?

The existence of Israel is not an open question. Reasonable people can't disagree about whether israel exists and will continue to exist.

Israel won, why should it expect anything less than "we, Hamas and Islamic jihad, and other leaders of the Palestinian people unconditionally surrender our struggle to destroy Israel and unequivocally recognize its existence and right to exist on lands that were previously Arab controlled. We humbly ask Israel to help us rebuild and develop the lands left to us and commit fully to being a friendly neighbor and partner in perpetuity."

The Israeli Palestinian conflict isn't the first time the world has seen dirty wars. Elsewhere, things are addressed

? But Hamas is fighting against current-day Israeli oppression of Palestinians, not whatever dumb idiot strawman continuation of the 1948 war you're making up.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Effectronica posted:

The natural order isn't countries in a vacuum. It's me and my friends vs you and your friends.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
The axis nations did the 'honorable' thing and surrendered unconditionally only after the allies burned an astounding number of cities to the ground. There's an argument to be made that a negotiated surrender would have resulted in far fewer civilian casualties, and therefore that Potsdam was a moral catastrophe.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

The natural order isn't countries in a vacuum. It's me and my friends vs you and your friends.

If the US didn't want its "friend" in Kuwait to get gobbled up, it should have defended Kuwait instead of wringing its hands and crying after the fact and leading a teary invasion of Iraq in response.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, bored with engaging trolls. Here, have some more nightmares

http://www.thestar.com.my/Opinion/Columnists/Global-Trends/Profile/Articles/2015/03/02/Gaza-under-fire-six-months-on/

quote:

HUNDREDS of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza are still homeless or live in the rubble of the 20,000 houses that were destroyed and 80,000 others damaged by Israeli bombs and artillery fire.

A United Nations official estimates that 600,000 to 800,000 people are in homes that are completely uninhabitable or very badly damaged.

Although US$5.4bil (RM19.4bil) was pledged by donor countries, very little of that aid has arrived. Moreover, very few building materials are allowed into Gaza, due to the continuing Israeli blockade.

In a BBC-TV report on Feb 25, journalist Lyse Doucet showed shots of people barely surviving in the ruins of their bombed-out homes, with signs put up on top of piles of rubble to indicate the names of the families who lived there, in the hope that one day someone would help them reclaim and rebuild their houses.

The most horrifying, and most pitiful, shot of that report was that of the baby Dapida, who had frozen to death in January amidst the ruins of what had been the family home because there was no heating in the present winter.

The baby had been born just before the ceasefire began on Aug 26. He survived the war but not the homelessness and the winter cold.

Everyone likes to talk about the children but in fact no one helps the children in Gaza, said his grief-stricken mother, lamenting the non-arrival of the promised aid.

Leaders of dozens of countries, including US State Secretary John Kerry, attended a reconstruction conference on Oct 12 in Cairo and pledged US$5.4bil for rebuilding Gaza and other Palestinian areas. The Palestinians had estimated that US$4bil (RM14.4bil) is needed for Gaza’s reconstruction.

But only a tiny bit of the pledged funds arrived. That, and the blockade restricting the inflow of materials, is why most homes are not rebuilt.

The UN Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) said the region was in dire need and that countries that tried to link aid to demilitarisation in Gaza were in danger of enforcing collective punishment on Palestinians.

UNRWA spokesman Chris Gunness said children had frozen to death over the winter, with parents and grandparents blaming the deaths on lack of donations.

The charity group Oxfam also called for the opening of Gaza for aid and materials. Its spokesman Alun McDonald called for “an immediate and complete end to the blockade of Gaza, which constitutes collective punishment of the civilian population”.

A statement from 30 international aid agencies expressed alarm about the limited progress on rebuilding lives in Gaza and tackling the root causes of the conflict, which they said made a return to hostilities inevitable.

They said that since July, the situation has deteriorated dramatically, with 100,000 Palestinians remaining displaced, power cuts of 18 hours a day, and non-payment of government workers. The most vulnerable, including the one million children, have experienced unimaginable suffering in three conflicts in six years and over 400,000 need psychological support.

With severe restrictions on their movement, the 1.8 million Palestinians are “trapped in the coastal enclave, with no hope for the future”.

The agencies are outraged that little of the US$5.4bil pledged has reached Gaza, resulting in the stopping of cash assistance to families that lost everything. They also criticised Israel which, as the occupying power, bears the main duty. It must comply with its obligations under international law and in particular it must lift the blockade.

The aid deficit has hit UNRWA, the UN agency operating in Gaza for relief and reconstruction. In January, it suspended its cash assistance programme supporting repairs and providing rental subsidies because it ran out of funds.

When the US$5.4bil aid was pledged, UNRWA came up with a US$720mil (RM2.6bil) plan but received its own pledges of only US$135mil (RM487mil).

Its Gaza director Robert Turner said: “The population of Gaza is exhausted, frustrated and angry. The small remnants of hope have been extinguished, without any hope for political change and lifting of the blockade.

“The international community is failing to provide the people of Gaza with the bare minimum. Thousands of families are waiting, but we have no money.”

UNRWA’s Gunness, who last July famously showed outrage on TV when a UN-run school was destroyed by artillery fire, killing 19 refugees there, gave graphic scenes he witnessed on a recent Gaza visit.

In a small shack with a plastic roof that leaked, he saw the room where a 40-day-old baby, Salma, had died on Jan 21 after freezing rain fell through the roof on her the whole night and her trembling body turned blue. The body had been frozen like ice-cream, said her mother.

A cousin of Salma, a 50-day-old boy, also died of hypothermia in a UN shelter which was freezing cold.

Although the immediate task is to rebuild the houses and infrastructure, Gaza also faces massive socio-economic problems such as 47% unemployment and blackouts of 18 hours a day, while 90% of all water is undrinkable.

“What is the point of reconstructing Gaza if it cannot have a functioning economy?” said Gunness in an interview. Gaza needs to import raw materials to make things and trade, otherwise it will be condemned for decades more to the life-support system of aid.

From all these reports, we have to conclude that the Gaza population is living in hell-like conditions, half a year after the military war stopped.

The houses are still not rebuilt, the promised funds have largely not arrived, basic needs are not satisfied, assistance to the most needy has mainly stopped, and frustration and anger are growing. Even if the widespread military attacks on the population have stopped, “war” in other forms is still being waged, with dire economic and social effects.

Leaders in countries that had pledged support months ago should act now to get the funds moving and to put pressure on Israel to lift the blockade and to live up to its obligations as an occupying power.

As the aid agencies and the UN have warned, allowing the present situation to continue and to deteriorate further will worsen the humanitarian crisis of Gaza and make more conflict situations likely.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

? But Hamas is fighting against current-day Israeli oppression of Palestinians, not whatever dumb idiot strawman continuation of the 1948 war you're making up.

Hamas fights for the destruction of Israel and the death of Israelis, and doesn't keep it a secret.

In what way did the rockets fight against the oppression of Palestinians? What is the cause and effect chain between "fire rockets indiscriminately at Israeli population centers" and "hinder or end the Israelis ability to oppress Palestinians?"

I've been wondering this since last summer and nobody's ever explained it.

In my way of looking at things, killing random Israeli civilians doesn't have any ameliorating effect at all on how israel treats Gaza.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

hakimashou posted:

Why? They're bigger and stronger than their children, they have every right to throw them at lions if that's what they want, since we've clearly established that you don't think killing children is wrong as long as nobody stops you.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

That's what you get when you attack a foreign nation. You aren't going to be rewarded with development funds, nobody is coming to help.

Next time, those individuals should police themselves and prevent attacks on foreign nations if they wish to avoid counterfire.

Kajeesus posted:

Why? They're bigger and stronger than their children, they have every right to throw them at lions if that's what they want, since we've clearly established that you don't think killing children is wrong as long as nobody stops you.

If you throw your children at lions, don't howl injustice when they're mauled.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's what you get when you attack a foreign nation. You aren't going to be rewarded with development funds, nobody is coming to help.

Next time, those individuals should police themselves and prevent attacks on foreign nations if they wish to avoid counterfire.

Yeah, watching the Gaza feeds I couldn't help but think "why the hell do they put up with this? Haven't they got guns in Gaza? Why aren't these people more terrified of being shot in their beds or on the streets or hanged from lamp posts by their own people for shooting these rockets than they are of the Israelis catching them???"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I for once would like to take a brave stance against feeding children to lions, regardless of their ethnicity or religious background.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hakimashou posted:

And who chooses to be whose friends is affected strongly by concepts such as "legitimacy", "justice", "proportionality", and so on.

As I said earlier, but was completely ignored, it's easy to smugly embrace realpolitik when you're strong. But it's the responsibility of the strong to ensure the welfare of the weak because you can't be certain it will always be you on top - a fact that Jewish history stands as a remarkable testament to.

If you want to eject the touchy-feely, and talk "interests" and "power", it's worth noting that demonstrating your total and complete dominance by absolutely subjugating a rebellious people might make you feel more secure today, if you alienate your few remaining allies and make legitimate the arguments of your enemies, what have you really gained?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Effectronica posted:

If the US didn't want its "friend" in Kuwait to get gobbled up, it should have defended Kuwait instead of wringing its hands and crying after the fact and leading a teary invasion of Iraq in response.

Maybe so, but instead it was the other way.

When you're president, it can be your way.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

hakimashou posted:

Maybe so, but instead it was the other way.

When you're president, it can be your way.

The US defied the natural order of things, again and again, by not annexing Iraq both times that we have invaded it. As a consequence, until we fully commit ourselves to world conquest and an orgy of bloodshed, we will continue to suffer and die around the world.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

PhilippAchtel posted:

And who chooses to be whose friends is affected strongly by concepts such as "legitimacy", "justice", "proportionality", and so on.

As I said earlier, but was completely ignored, it's easy to smugly embrace realpolitik when you're strong. But it's the responsibility of the strong to ensure the welfare of the weak because you can't be certain it will always be you on top - a fact that Jewish history stands as a remarkable testament to.

If you want to eject the touchy-feely, and talk "interests" and "power", it's worth noting that demonstrating your total and complete dominance by absolutely subjugating a rebellious people might make you feel more secure today, if you alienate your few remaining allies and make legitimate the arguments of your enemies, what have you really gained?

There is more to it than that though. The powerful nations of the world have all come to take a very dim view of Islamist terrorism. Hamas and Islamic Jihad and the Al Aqsa martyrs brigades and whoever else are on the wrong side of a bigger fight.

And that's a fact that isn't likely to change any time soon, which makes it a very pertinent fact for the Palestinians and one which should weigh heavily on their decisions.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The Israelis do not consider themselves to be strong, nor do they consider any of their alliances with the west to be anything more than 'weddings of convenience'.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The Israelis do not consider themselves to be strong, nor do they consider any of their alliances with the west to be anything more than 'weddings of convenience'.

The Israeli Palestinian conflict is intensely complicated by these kinds of factors, factors that aren't part of highly abstracted, generalized, "a people do this and a people do that and which people are right" kinds of thinking.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hakimashou posted:

Even the Allies did not kill all Germans/Japanese. And they did not expel them from their homeland, only reduced Germany to give land back to the Poles that they lost in the several partitions of Poland. Israel on the other hand has conquered the Palestinians, and neither gives them a reduced share of Palestine nor makes them citizens of Israel.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Here is an honest question:

If Hamas and Islamic Jihad had the capability to kill tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of Israelis, do you think they would do it?

What if they had a weapon that could kill all the Israelis?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, those in power are doing everything they can to make their perception the reality, which is a true shame. Israel has a real opportunity to undermine the arguments of the Islamist right by demonstrating that compromise and moderation can lead to positive outcomes in the region for its Arab neighbors. Instead, it's so stuck in the mindset of fifty years ago - a time when it really did have its back against the wall - that it provides its enemies all the ammunition they need to condemn it and consign it to destruction.

Hoping that you stay strong enough to stand resolute against all the surrounding nations that hate your guts while thumbing your nose at the values of your closest allies is not a sustainable position for Israel to take.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

hakimashou posted:

There is more to it than that though. The powerful nations of the world have all come to take a very dim view of Islamist terrorism. Hamas and Islamic Jihad and the Al Aqsa martyrs brigades and whoever else are on the wrong side of a bigger fight.

And that's a fact that isn't likely to change any time soon, which makes it a very pertinent fact for the Palestinians and one which should weigh heavily on their decisions.

You say that while ignoring that in this specific context, international sympathy is overwhelmingly with the Palestinians, not Israel.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hakimashou posted:

If Hamas and Islamic Jihad had the capability to kill tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of Israelis, do you think they would do it?

Yes, they would, which is why they cannot be allowed to exist in an era of a nuclear Iran. Their existance poses an existential threat to Israel, and Israeli policy will develop accordingly. Is this about the land, or the people? You can't have both, so which would they prefer? Clearly, the militants want land and don't care about people. Policy must respond accordingly.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hakimashou posted:

They would certainly threaten to do it, in order to use the threat of such a weapon to force Israel to make concessions and end the war and oppression. They might even fire off a test shot to show they're serious, or even a second one, since nobody condemned them the first time they destroyed a defenseless Japanese city with a doomsday device for the sole purpose of intimidation. Oops, wait, did I get my situations mixed up there? Sorry, I'm just so uninterested in your bullshit strawman that it's hard staying awake enough to kick it to the curb!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

PhilippAchtel posted:

You say that while ignoring that in this specific context, international sympathy is overwhelmingly with the Palestinians, not Israel.

Really?

How much military aid, backing in the UN, etc does Hamas and Islamic jihad get vs Israel?

How many fighter jets have been sold to the Palestinians, how did the world react to the idea of a palestinian nuclear arsenal? How closely do the worlds intelligence services work with Palestinian intelligence services, and so on, and so forth.

How about with other groups that want to destroy Israel, are they well liked and well provided for?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Main Paineframe posted:

They would certainly threaten to do it,

That's all that matters, as Israel is a democratic nation, and such threats must be taken at their word if the Israeli administration wishes to responsibly represent the interests of the Israeli people.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Main Paineframe posted:

They would certainly threaten to do it, in order to use the threat of such a weapon to force Israel to make concessions and end the war and oppression. They might even fire off a test shot to show they're serious, or even a second one, since nobody condemned them the first time they destroyed a defenseless Japanese city with a doomsday device for the sole purpose of intimidation. Oops, wait, did I get my situations mixed up there? Sorry, I'm just so uninterested in your bullshit strawman that it's hard staying awake enough to kick it to the curb!

"Al mawt li israel" is just a joke they tell one another is it?

If you say this, but they say that, I have to take their word for it and privilige their statements because they are them and you are you, you know?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

My Imaginary GF posted:

That's all that matters, as Israel is a democratic nation, and such threats must be taken at their word if the Israeli administration wishes to responsibly represent the interests of the Israeli people.

Indeed, the Israeli government has a moral and political responsibility to protect its people.

Which brings us full circle to the issue of Hamas's apparently sacred right to "respond" to israeli actions.

There is a difference between "responding" and "reacting" in the eye-for-an-eye sense and actually acting to protect.

It's never been made clear to me how firing rockets indiscriminately at israeli population centers is meant to keep Palestinians from harm.

• Locked thread