Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember vacationing in Redding when I was a kid and holy hell it was unbearably hot what a dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggot Soup
Aug 18, 2005

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I remember vacationing in Redding when I was a kid and holy hell it was unbearably hot what a dump.

Redding is that one city that seems to always be in weather reports for most of northern California news stations as the "holy hell, you don't want to go here"

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

nm posted:

La is not inland socal. The IE is. The climate is vitually the same, except sacramento has wetter winters and has more water due to the sierras.

Unless you mean palm desert I meant as far as Fontana. And while it would get gross and hot there, plus you were in Fontana, I never experienced the feeling that my skin was cooking when I left the shade like I did in Sacramento.

And downtown Sacramento certainly didn't cool off at night, I'd leave the gym at 10 pm in July or August and it would still be uncomfortable.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Dismantle the UC system, start fresh.
I received an ACTIVISM! letter from the UC Alumni relations board pleading me to tell Sacramento to fund the UCs fully.

Not a single fucker on the signee's list obtained an undergrad degree after 1980. Boomer fucks can go stuff themselves. I'm not helping Napolitano throw a temper tantrum.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

withak posted:

Sacramento is actually very very hot in the summer.

I live in the Inland Empire, I'm used to the heat. It's actually a few degrees cooler in the summer and winter seems much more wintery than where I am now.

Past 12 mo. Sacramento

My current locale near Riverside

Plus Sacramento seems to have some trees around.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sydin posted:

Indeed. I've been told by coworkers how awesome Austin is before, but I just don't buy the "blue dot in a sea of red" pitch. Sure, the influx of young tech workers primarily from California has shifted city level politics to the left. Fine. You still have to deal with the conservative state government, not to mention shitheads like Abbott.

Also the weather is awful. Seriously: gently caress humidity.

Austin was actually significantly more liberal before the influx of Californians in the late 90s through today. Please stop sending us your libertarian shitheads.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Record numbers apply to Cal Poly

That article posted:

The average grade-point average for first-time freshmen who have been offered admission is 4.0, up from 3.72 a decade ago and 3.88 last year.

The average SAT scores for first-time freshmen was 1,333 in 2015 compared with 1,203 in 2005 and 1,234 last year.

:stare: I wonder what those numbers were like in 2000. The GPA one must have been way lower, for me to get in.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Even when I was applying, the acceptance rate to Cal Poly was like, 30% give or take.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I was in San Francisco for the first time yesterday, and the applovin billboard made me mad. that's my post, thanks for reading

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Pomp posted:

I was in San Francisco for the first time yesterday, and the applovin billboard made me mad. that's my post, thanks for reading

You can't just say that and not include a picture of what I assume is the billboard in question.

Okay, now I'm mad too.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Zachack posted:

Unless you mean palm desert I meant as far as Fontana. And while it would get gross and hot there, plus you were in Fontana, I never experienced the feeling that my skin was cooking when I left the shade like I did in Sacramento.

And downtown Sacramento certainly didn't cool off at night, I'd leave the gym at 10 pm in July or August and it would still be uncomfortable.

Rancho has the same climate as Sacramento, except it stays hot at night in rancho.
And yes, Sacramento does cool down at night. Not every night, but enough. You can get lows in the high 50s after 100+ days. It is pretty awesome.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You can't just say that and not include a picture of what I assume is the billboard in question.

Okay, now I'm mad too.

There has to be some kind of public decency law this is breaking.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Okay, now I'm mad too.

I don't get what the big deal is...

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Memes in advertising is a sure sign of the decline of western civilization.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

enraged_camel posted:

The memification of America signals our downfall.

Just like when the Jews women Blacks foreigners started getting uppity.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Sounds an awful lot like "Kids these days" or "Get off my lawn" to me. But yeah that is an ugly billboard.

But if you want gross SF billboard chat,

This one bothers me a lot more.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Arkansas has had enough of California acting like bullies.
Arkansas Legislator Threatens California Wine Ban Over Egg Ban

article posted:

The House voted 57-19 to advance to the Senate a bill that outlaws wine imports from any state that imposes a “substantial burden” on the Arkansas agriculture industry.
“We have to show the state of California they cannot force their standards on us,” Douglas said.
Douglas also warned lawmakers that the egg ban is a slippery slope that could lead to other infringements.

Someone with some sanity relays the facts:

article posted:

Charles Singleton, a lobbyist for the state’s wine and alcohol wholesalers, previously estimated that about 90 percent of the wine sold in Arkansas comes from California and that the proposed law would disrupt existing distribution contracts.

Republican Rep. Stephen Meeks of Greenbrier voted against the bill and said the ban would harm Arkansas residents by limiting what they can buy. He also worried the bill could prompt retaliation from California lawmakers.

The bill passed the House 57-19 and is headed for the Senate.

:getin:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Someone tell us what percentage of California's wine sales actually go to Arkansas.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

withak posted:

Someone tell us what percentage of California's wine sales actually go to Arkansas.

It also sounds like exactly the type of law that does nothing but piss off all your constituents

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also, it's entirely based on protecting the state's egg farmers' right to be really cruel to chickens. That can't possibly backfire, right?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My conservative mother in law is fired up about the drat democrats causing the price of eggs to rise due some dumb chickens.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Does all this free-range, no-caging business have a positive environmental impact outside of the individual critter's well-being? Because all it means is that a bird is happy I couldn't give a drat, but if it results in less nasty poo poo ending up in aquifers then I'm all for it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Does all this free-range, no-caging business have a positive environmental impact outside of the individual critter's well-being? Because all it means is that a bird is happy I couldn't give a drat, but if it results in less nasty poo poo ending up in aquifers then I'm all for it.

Good to know you don't care about another living creature's well being unless it somehow directly impacts you. You sound like a nice person.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Sydin posted:

Good to know you don't care about another living creature's well being unless it somehow directly impacts you. You sound like a nice person.

Why is putting the well being of your own species first a bad thing?

EDIT: Especially since we're the ones footing the bill?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EDIT: Especially since we're the ones footing the bill?

Because this isn't a black and white situation. It is possible to treat the animals we keep as livestock reasonably well, and still feed everyone. The price of eggs has indeed gone up, but eggs are still ridiculously cheap. Like, a carton of 12 cage-free eggs is still what, four dollars, give or take?

Keeping chickens in cages so tiny they can't turn around or stretch their arms out is torture. This isn't about coddling animals, this is about deciding that we're willing to pay a dime more per egg in order to cut back a bit on the literal animal-torture.

It's not even that huge of an improvement. "Cage-free" chickens are still generally confined to indoor feed lots or small enclosures, never see the sky, and have their beaks cut off. Also since we only want hens, all the male baby chicks are killed at birth.

We have basic standards of humane treatment for all animals. It's OK to raise an animal for food and kill it when it's time to eat it, but it's not OK to torture an animal for months or years just to save a few pennies per pound of meat or per carton of eggs.

The deal with Arkansas is just that Calfornians said hey, eggs sold in this state have to not be torture eggs, and so everyone has like two years to get ready and then we'll stop allowing torture eggs to be sold here. And Arkansas egg farmers who sell lots of eggs to California decided, well, gently caress it, why should we change? And now I guess they're bitching about it.

Keep in mind that "egg farmers" are not Farmer Joe and his impoverished family and 40 acres and a mule. They're huge corporations with feedlots maintaining and processing hundreds of thousands of chickens at a time. They will happily commit any horrifying abuse of an animal that can squeeze another penny of profit out of the operation, because that's what corporations do. It's up to the rest of us - consumers and legislators - to impose standards on companies, whether that's "no you may not pour toxic waste into our water" or "no you may not impose ridiculously dangerous working conditions on your workers" or "no you may not literally torture chickens."

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 28, 2015

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Cramped, horrible conditions for farm animals are focal points for disease. A lot of the antibiotic use in cows at least is purely about increasing yield and not fighting disease, and the overuse is linked to increased antibiotics resistance in bacteria. I don't know if chickens are similar but there are diseases which are prevalent today which made the jump from chickens to us.

So, sorta. Reality is that things like diseases and resistance to antibiotics are externalities, so the worst, most productive practices are the ones that will be followed by the industry (as business that don't, won't be able to compete). There are probably more effective policies which aren't so populist in nature, but it's not likely that they'll ever be implemented.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Scenario: you're walking down the street and see a kid torturing a squirrel. The animal is clearly suffering but the kid is having a lot of fun.

What do you do?

You can put the wellbeing of your species first, but this doesn't mean you have to literally torture other species or tolerate said torture. It is possible to farm animal products in humane, environmentally friendly ways.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013
I wonder what it must be like to live in a state that has visible smog, hippies, super high gas prices, and is about to run out of water, even though they are literally sitting next to an ocean (yes, it is possible to extract water from salt water; just tax the rich people more to build the utilities, and then when it becomes affordable, everyone else will move back to the state, or cry to Obama and beg him for a bailout).

It's almost like their politicians never planned for the future.

edit: I thought Schwarzenigger was going to terminate all of California's problems.

edit2: Why do you care about humanely treating animals when you are just going to kill them before they would naturally die? That's like saying chemical warfare is bad, but it's OK to use bullets and explosives to kill people.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 28, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Pervis posted:

Cramped, horrible conditions for farm animals are focal points for disease.
You say that like it matters next to LOWAR TAX and PRISE POINYT!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

enraged_camel posted:

Scenario: you're walking down the street and see a kid torturing a squirrel. The animal is clearly suffering but the kid is having a lot of fun.

What do you do?
Are you trying to determine if he is a replicant?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jakcson posted:

I wonder what it must be like to live in a state that has visible smog

Uh? California has the best air quality management in the country. CARB is absolutely draconian, in fact.

quote:

hippies,

What's wrong with hippies? They're harmless. Also we really don't have that many any more. There are enclaves in Santa Cruz and Berkeley and then scatterings of them elsewhere, but they're a tiny minority here.

quote:

super high gas prices

How ironic! Our gas prices are high, because we have a mandated lower-emissions gasoline mix than the rest of the country, so refineries have to make a special "california mix." We also charge taxes on gas, to help pay for road infrastructure and... air quality management. What was that you were saying about smog?

quote:

and is about to run out of water, even though they are literally sitting next to an ocean (yes, it is possible to extract water from salt water).

Desalination is indeed possible. But it's not economically viable, at least not at current energy prices and at the scale it'd need to be to help. If you live in the US, chances are you eat stuff grown in California. All we have to do to solve our water shortage overnight, is cut our agricultural water usage by, say, 20% or so. Which I think we should do, of course. Enjoy your more expensive produce, motherfucker! I'm sure you'll be bitching about how terrible California is, as you start paying more for your CA-grown food, without a hint of irony.

quote:

It's almost like their politicians never planned for the future.

edit: I thought Schwarzenigger was going to terminate all of California's problems.

Yeah, our politicians are SO MUCH WORSE than all those future-planning politicians in all those other states. You know, the states that are also cutting school budgets, refusing to even acknowledge that climate change is happening, wasting all their time being mad about the immigrants that support their economies, and so on.

I mean, gently caress. Yeah our legislature sucks. Yeah our governors have mostly been poo poo. But it's not like we've got some loving monopoly on lovely government.

What we have got is a generally high standard of living, better health care for poor people, a huge and still-growing economy, enjoyable weather even in winter, world-class tourist destinations, amazing cuisine, skiing, surfing, fantastic art scenes, fantastic music, and a diverse, growing population.

Please tell us all about how superior your state is!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

What do you do?

Squirrels are a pest, so it's probably a net good that the squirrel's gonna die. There's no reason to torture it, though. Torturing small animals for fun can be a sign of some kind of psychological disorder, sociopathy or something. I'd probably not let any of my relatives associate with that child, just to be safe, and probably let the kid's parent know that their kid was doing that.

Now, if the kid was a reliable source of cheap squirrel meat and the torture was demonstrably making the meat cheaper, I'd let it slide.

If his practices are causing a rise in squirrel-borne illnesses in the community, then clearly something has to be done.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
The United States does not torture. :haw:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Squirrels are a pest, so it's probably a net good that the squirrel's gonna die. There's no reason to torture it, though. Torturing small animals for fun can be a sign of some kind of psychological disorder, sociopathy or something. I'd probably not let any of my relatives associate with that child, just to be safe, and probably let the kid's parent know that their kid was doing that.

Now, if the kid was a reliable source of cheap squirrel meat and the torture was demonstrably making the meat cheaper, I'd let it slide.

If his practices are causing a rise in squirrel-borne illnesses in the community, then clearly something has to be done.

You're a terribly selfish person.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Hates Californians and black people. Texan or Oklahoman.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

Uh? California has the best air quality management in the country. CARB is absolutely draconian, in fact.

Please tell us all about how superior your state is!

You seriously don't notice the smell when you enter California?

And Jesus Christ, try visiting another state to see what your skies are supposed to look like.

Also, the roads and highways in most of California loving suck. Cracks and potholes everywhere, and it's all cramped and backwards like the northeast part of the country. OK, maybe northern California isn't so bad, but a lot of it stinks.

You don't need to be white knighting your government just because you happen to live there. Mature, responsible adults are capable of admitting that they made mistakes.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 28, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Pomp posted:

You're a terribly selfish person.

Because I care more for humans than animals, and more for my relatives than humans in general?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jakcson posted:

You seriously don't notice the smell when you enter California?

And Jesus Christ, try visiting another state to see what your skies are supposed to look like.

You don't need to be white knighting your government just because you happen to live there. Mature, responsible adults are capable of admitting that they made mistakes.

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're another one of those idiots who thinks the LA Metro area = California. LA has the worst smog in the country, of course it does, it's a giant metropolitan area with horrible snarls of freeways where everyone drives, and it's a giant geographical bowl where air cannot escape and it almost never rains.

Nevertheless, California has the strictest air quality regulations in the country, bar none; we're doing more about improving air quality than literally everyone else, and have been for decades. And, the vast majority of this very large state is completely smog free. You're talking out of your rear end, and everyone in this thread knows it but you. Once again I'll ask you: what wonderful state do you live in, where the forward-thinking politicians are preparing for the future, and nobody breathes any pollution?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Because I care more for humans than animals, and more for my relatives than humans in general?

Making eggs a dollar cheaper per carton is not "caring more for humans." There are people in this country who don't have enough food, but it's not because our food is too expensive, and making eggs a little cheaper isn't going to help them, at all.

It is not necessary to torture animals to make good, quality food, in sufficient quantities for everyone, at prices everyone can afford. Food insecurity in America has to do with food-desert areas (ghettoes where there are no good grocery stores), lovely economic policy, regressive taxation, racism, rampant injustice in our criminal justice system, anti-immigrant xenophobia, and a lack of universal healthcare that includes mental healthcare. And more.

It's not because we're not torturing enough chickens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're another one of those idiots who thinks the LA Metro area = California. LA has the worst smog in the country, of course it does, it's a giant metropolitan area with horrible snarls of freeways where everyone drives, and it's a giant geographical bowl where air cannot escape and it almost never rains.

Nevertheless, California has the strictest air quality regulations in the country, bar none; we're doing more about improving air quality than literally everyone else, and have been for decades. And, the vast majority of this very large state is completely smog free. You're talking out of your rear end, and everyone in this thread knows it but you. Once again I'll ask you: what wonderful state do you live in, where the forward-thinking politicians are preparing for the future, and nobody breathes any pollution?

Oh, Arizona, of course.

I remember when I just a wee child, about 20 years ago. Our skies were brown and grey, and I could barely play outside for more than 30 minutes at a time without developing a hacking cough or asthma.

But now, I can open up my windows and see the mountains! The skies are blue! I don't want to die when I go outside, except in the summer when it is 120+ degrees out there.

Oh, happy days!

But when I visit California, I think about how horrible things were for me as a child, and I can't help but wonder what kind of a loving monster would want their children to grow up in that sort of environment. Do you guys simply not give a gently caress about LA?

Are they the poors of California or something?

(It also smells bad when you are crossing the border from Arizona to California.)

Leperflesh posted:

It is not necessary to torture animals to make good, quality food,

Clearly you have never tasted foie gras. How dare you call yourself a gourmand!

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 28, 2015