Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So why don't we go after these root causes instead of focusing on a bunch of drat chickens?

I've seen the criminal justice system firsthand, and even in the better parts of CA, it's racist as all hell and overly punitive. Black guys and latinos were doing 5 months on a first offense for things I'd never even get prosecuted for, and that's not even mentioning the lovely plea bargains a bunch of them took. But forget the guys in County, let's focus on making sure cows have enough room to run around.

I've got cousins and uncles and aunts who are facing deportation because of petty bullshit, and we're going to focus on a bunch of livestock?

It's absolutely infuriating to me that the people of this state seem to have prioritized livestock over human beings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So why don't we go after these root causes instead of focusing on a bunch of drat chickens?

I've seen the criminal justice system firsthand, and even in the better parts of CA, it's racist as all hell and overly punitive. Black guys and latinos were doing 5 months on a first offense for things I'd never even get prosecuted for, and that's not even mentioning the lovely plea bargains a bunch of them took. But forget the guys in County, let's focus on making sure cows have enough room to run around.

I've got cousins and uncles and aunts who are facing deportation because of petty bullshit, and we're going to focus on a bunch of livestock?

It's absolutely infuriating to me that the people of this state seem to have prioritized livestock over human beings.

Newsflash: society can work on solving multiple issues at the same time. Just because we are critical of how livestock is treated doesn't mean we are momentarily OK with how the criminal justice system works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jakcson posted:

But when I visit California, I think about how horrible things were for me as a child, and I can't help but wonder what kind of a loving monster would want their children to grow up in that sort of environment. Do you guys simply not give a gently caress about LA?

Are they the poors of California or something?

(It also smells bad when you are crossing the border from Arizona to California.)

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2012/20120809_laairqualitystudy.html

quote:

In California’s Los Angeles Basin, levels of some vehicle-related air pollutants have decreased by about 98 percent since the 1960s, even as area residents now burn three times as much gasoline and diesel fuel. Between 2002 and 2010 alone, the concentration of air pollutants called volatile organic compounds (VOCs) dropped by half, according to a new study by NOAA scientists and colleagues, published in the Journal of Geophysical Research yesterday.

Cars are getting cleaner, and the reason is because California forced automakers to make cleaner cars. The rest of the country has benefitted, because carmakers can't afford to not sell cars in California, and also eventually realized it's cheaper to just meet CARB's standards and sell that car everywhere, than to sell special 50-state versions and regular 49-state versions of cars.

So, irrespective of your subjective experience, yes, we care about LA, and you're welcome for cleaning up your air for you, because sure as gently caress Arizona isn't passing any kind of clean air laws.

Of course, you're benefiting not from superior governance, but from low population density, with the remarkable exception of Phoenix, one of the worst cities in the country. My god, the sprawl there is amazing, and Phoenix has absolutely and utterly failed to plan for its water consumption, making this back-and-forth between us extra-bonus-ironic.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/arizona-could-be-out-water-6-years-180951814/?no-ist

Unlike in California, Arizona's farmers are lower priority for water than everyone else, so your state's agriculture is suffering and they don't have a bunch of bullshit water rights to fall back on. Better, housing tracts in Arizona tend to landscape based on the arid desert environment, whereas the desert areas of California tend not to. But... yeah, phoenix has failed to control its sprawl for a long time, and the result is pretty ugly.

There is absolutely no reason why we cannot do both. It is entirely a matter of political will. And it's bullshit specious reasoning to argue that we need to torture animals for fractionally cheaper eggs, while the country suffers an obesity epidemic.

quote:

It's not like we have some kind of maximum number of laws we can pass per year, and we're using them all up on chickens, man. This was a voter-approved initiative, the shitheads in Sacramento are doing fuckall about all these serious problems you've listed, with or without chicken regulation.

It's exactly the same kind of idiot reasoning that says that it's immoral for anyone to spend money on a luxury while someone in another country is starving. No, it isn't, because the two things are not related. There is no relationship between an improvement in the standards of animal husbandry, and the failure to enact reforms to racist prison sentencing.

We get it, you don't care if animals are tortured. I think you're just frustrated to see laws dealing with things you don't care about, while things you do care about aren't being addressed. We all feel that frustration at times, but it's just a fallacy to argue that we have to stop doing this thing you don't care about, in order for this other thing you do care about to be addressed.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Did your cousins and aunts and uncles come here legally?

Immigrating to the USA illegally is a crime. :tipshat:

Leperflesh posted:

Better, housing tracts in Arizona tend to landscape based on the arid desert environment, whereas the desert areas of California tend not to.

I agree with that.

There are huge stretches of the 10, going west from the California-Arizona border, for miles, where it was obvious someone was trying to make it not look like a desert, and failed miserably.

The 8 is strangely not as bad...

Leperflesh posted:

We get it, you don't care if animals are tortured.

Fo' sheezy mah neezy.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 28, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Jakcson posted:

Did your cousins and aunts and uncles come here legally?

With how much it costs now to come here legally I fully support illegal immigration.

I mean, who else will toil in those farmers fields for pennies on the dollar? :smug:

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

With how much it costs now to come here legally I fully support illegal immigration.

I mean, who else will toil in those farmers fields for pennies on the dollar? :smug:

African immigrants? :whip:

A couple pennies would be the equivalent of 70,000,000 of whatever their currency is. And they can get clean water for free! :sparkles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxBzKkWo0mo
(Or to put it simply, do you really want your wife or daughter to end up like Ona Rudkus from The Jungle, or like Fantine from Les Misérables? To keep people out of poverty, sometimes you need to make them work for pennies on the dollar.)

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 29, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
We do already. It's called minimum wage.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Leperflesh posted:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that you're another one of those idiots who thinks the LA Metro area = California. LA has the worst smog in the country, of course it does, it's a giant metropolitan area with horrible snarls of freeways where everyone drives, and it's a giant geographical bowl where air cannot escape and it almost never rains.

Nevertheless, California has the strictest air quality regulations in the country, bar none; we're doing more about improving air quality than literally everyone else, and have been for decades. And, the vast majority of this very large state is completely smog free. You're talking out of your rear end, and everyone in this thread knows it but you. Once again I'll ask you: what wonderful state do you live in, where the forward-thinking politicians are preparing for the future, and nobody breathes any pollution?

9,000,000 people and the airs still getting better.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/06/04/study-los-angeles-smog-pollution-on-the-decline/

quote:

Scientists analyzing air quality from a recent aircraft campaign and historical data found that ozone pollution in the Los Angeles region declined over the past few decades. Air chemistry also changed, leading to a drop in levels of a compound that contributes to eye irritation.

The improved air suggests California’s policies to reduce emissions had an impact, according to the researchers from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Pollution comes from vehicles, industries and natural sources like plants.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jun/05/science/la-sci-sn-california-smog-20130605

quote:

Despite a three-fold increase in people and cars in the last 50 years, California’s strict vehicle emissions standards have managed to significantly clear the state’s air, according to new research.

The study also found that Southern California’s air chemistry has changed for the better. The amount of organic nitrates in the atmosphere — which cause smog’s eye-stinging irritation — has drastically fallen off, according to federal researchers.

Ozone and other pollutants have been monitored in the state since the 1960s. Since then the population in Southern California has tripled, as has the number of cars on the road. Nevertheless, tailpipe emissions have decreased.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Jakcson posted:

To keep people out of poverty, sometimes you need to make them work for pennies on the dollar.
So you dont like black people, California, or the working class.

How do you feel about gay people? Muslims? Jimmy Carter?

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

FRINGE posted:

So you dont like black people, California, or the working class.

How do you feel about gay people? Muslims? Jimmy Carter?

Dunno about all the others, but I've heard rumors that historians have not been kind to Jimmy Carter, although we have heard quite a bit of mush from the wimp.

And no, I don't like California. #Arizona4Lyfe

edit: "Black" people are generally considered to be African-Americans that were descended from slaves. Africans are just Africans, or more specifically, most of them prefer to be identified by the country and/or culture that they belonged to. African-Americans tend to cling to slave culture (ebonics could be considered a notable example of this).

edit2: I know that guy in the video has that one weird eye, but don't let that distract you from his message.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 29, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

We get it, you don't care if animals are tortured. I think you're just frustrated to see laws dealing with things you don't care about, while things you do care about aren't being addressed. We all feel that frustration at times, but it's just a fallacy to argue that we have to stop doing this thing you don't care about, in order for this other thing you do care about to be addressed.

You're right. I just got a little wound up and decided to play that point to its extreme. I'm currently living in a weirdo green-conservative cultural mileu (Redondo/Manhattan Beach people have some pretty weird ideas), so I have to deal with people who are gung-ho in favor of animal rights while being actively hostile towards the issues I care about (prison reform, labor rights, ease of immigration). It's made me irrationally hostile towards those more moving-space for livestock initiatives. I'll try to be less knee-jerk in the future.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

You're right. I just got a little wound up and decided to play that point to its extreme. I'm currently living in a weirdo green-conservative cultural mileu (Redondo/Manhattan Beach people have some pretty weird ideas), so I have to deal with people who are gung-ho in favor of animal rights while being actively hostile towards the issues I care about (prison reform, labor rights, ease of immigration). It's made me irrationally hostile towards those more moving-space for livestock initiatives. I'll try to be less knee-jerk in the future.

I thought President Obama gave amnesty via executive order to millions of illegal immigrants and anchor babies.

You should be happy about how he was willing to do that for you and your relatives, who presumably entered the USA illegally (your lack of a response to my earlier question about that was interpreted as an affirmative response). In a way, you are being rewarded for breaking the law.

:golfclap:

Do you think others should be rewarded for violating US laws, and if so, why? Should your relatives not be punished for breaking the law, and if so, why?

edit: I think a combination of indentured servitude and sweatshops would be a neat compromise that could allow the USA to remain competitive with certain other nations, while reducing the need for welfare and unemployment stipends. With the extra money that most governments will have, free healthcare (Obamacare?) would be a no-brainer.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jakcson you sound like a cool Arizona dude and I'd like to have a brew with you

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Jakcson you sound like a cool Arizona dude and I'd like to have a brew with you

:cheers::hf::cheers:

Maybe after we have a few beers we can head down to the border and I'll let you use my .30-06 for some "target practice".

(I'm kidding, of course.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgZ1She3l3w

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 29, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hey is sheriff joe still around? We should get that guy to throw that chump moonbeam or 0bummer out of office.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Hey is sheriff joe still around? We should get that guy to throw that chump moonbeam or 0bummer out of office.

I don't think they will ever be able to get Eric Holder out of office.

VVVVV - Have fun when your water supplies dry up before ours. Too bad you guys live so close to such a large body of water...

snap. Maybe y'all will get what you wish for.

I guess it's hard to learn from history sometimes.

Jakcson fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 29, 2015

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Gotta agree.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Jakcson posted:

I don't think they will ever be able to get Eric Holder out of office.

VVVVV - Have fun when your water supplies dry up before ours. Too bad you guys live so close to such a large body of water...

I like how the 1917-1921 drought is somehow distinct from the drought which starts literally the following year. (And how 1927 and 2010 somehow mark the end of a drought instead of a temporary respite)

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

:agreed:

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I like how the 1917-1921 drought is somehow distinct from the drought which starts literally the following year. (And how 1927 and 2010 somehow mark the end of a drought instead of a temporary respite)

A drought is like a recession :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jakcson posted:

You... you do realize that Arizonia is also in the midst of a historic drought as well, right? In fact your drought is so bad, record rain and snowfall this winter didn't even put a dent in it. You're also much more poo poo at water conservation than we are, so have fun when those ground water reserves are sucked dry and you have literally no fallback. :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I'm assuming this is a hamhanded troll, its just had to tell because the Texas suburb-states do have people that dumb in them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sydin posted:

You... you do realize that Arizonia is also in the midst of a historic drought as well, right? In fact your drought is so bad, record rain and snowfall this winter didn't even put a dent in it. You're also much more poo poo at water conservation than we are, so have fun when those ground water reserves are sucked dry and you have literally no fallback. :v:

FRINGE posted:

I'm assuming this is a hamhanded troll, its just had to tell because the Texas suburb-states do have people that dumb in them.

You think the guy who is advocating going to the Arizona border and shooting illegal immigrant for sport might be a really lovely troll?

My worldview is shaken! Jakcson, say it aint so!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

:newlol:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

So when do we start burning down almond orchards? This isn't apropos the AZ troll guy, just something I've been thinking about.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kenning posted:

So when do we start burning down almond orchards? This isn't apropos the AZ troll guy, just something I've been thinking about.

Well seeing how farmers have gotten 0 water out of the Central Valley Project for 2 years straight, I think if you're willing to some of the farmers will do it for you.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kenning posted:

A good start would be to force farmers to use efficient technologies to reduce water usage. A shocking number of almond farmers pay little to no attention to when they water and how they water, resulting in significant over use of water and under production of crops. Using electronic measuring of water flow rates through the soil, computer weather modeling and other tools, we can greatly increase our water usage efficiency - but with grandfathered water rights and artificially cheap water, why bother with more expensive systems?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Historically speaking, ludditism doesn't work very well.

We shouldn't burn the almond orchards, we should burn the almond farmers. :getin:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Daily Beast has a good article reiterating what most of us here already know: that long term changes to California's ag system are needed and restricting glasses of water at restaurants does nothing to solve our water issues.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/30/how-growers-gamed-california-s-drought.html

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Jakcson posted:

It's a civil violation, not a criminal one, which is why police don't enforce it. :eng101:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
In a conclusion that I'm sure will shock everyone here, the Legislative Analyst’s Office of California has determined that high housing prices in California are mainly a result of not building enough housing:

quote:

On March 17 the Legislative Analyst’s Office of California, the non-partisan state research agency, released a comprehensive report on the high cost of housing in the State. The report documents a 40-year trend in which the costs of housing within California rose at near four times the national average, and highlights the impact that local “no growth” policies have had in limiting private development within the coastal areas.

The report lays bare what it believes to be the primary contributing factor to California’s high housing costs, that is insufficient development in the State’s coastal areas to meet the demand for housing. California’s largest metro areas are building new housing at a rate less than half of comparable metro areas in other parts of the country. This new development is also less dense than in other areas, meaning that California is developing fewer livable units per parcel of land, being on average 40 percent less dense than other metro areas in the United States. The graphs below compare the rate of new housing development between the national average, the state average, and the average of the California coast.

Also it's our own fault:

quote:

The report goes on to say that the reason why cities and counties simply don’t build more housing is primarily due to public resistance. The state’s environmental review process, outlined under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), is consistently used to halt or delay projects on environmental grounds, and provides significant opportunity for legal resistance even past the point of legislative approval. Furthermore, most local municipalities in the state have significantly burdensome project approval processes, usually involving approval from multiple departments and public commissions, forcing private developers into uncertain market conditions and costing them added time. Two thirds of California coastal communities have even adopted specific growth control measures, which vary from placing new restrictions on certain types of development, to direct caps on the number of units that can be built.
http://blog.civinomics.com/2015/03/30/the-future-of-housing-in-california/

Who could have possibly foreseen that restricting the supply of a thing would result in high prices for that thing??

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 31, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cicero posted:

In a conclusion that I'm sure will shock everyone here, it appears that high housing prices in California are mainly a result of not building enough housing:

Also it's our own fault:

http://blog.civinomics.com/2015/03/30/the-future-of-housing-in-california/

Who could have possibly foreseen that restricting the supply of a thing would result in high prices for that thing??

The only thing that got any new higher density buildings in LA built is that they're all luxury units taking advantage of the crazy market.

Nobody does teardowns because then they'd have to pay modern property taxes.

Yet another interesting way Prop 13 has hosed California for decades.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Zeitgueist posted:

The only thing that got any new higher density buildings in LA built is that they're all luxury units taking advantage of the crazy market.
Well yeah, when demand across the spectrum isn't being met, fixed costs are high, and you can only build so many units, targeting the high end makes the most business sense. Somehow other metros manage to get reasonably affordable housing though, it's not like developers there wouldn't build all luxury housing all the time if they could get away with it.

Really if we're worried about those darn greedy developers only serving rich people, why not make how many units they can build a function of how affordable the housing will be? E.g. the lower your socio-economic target demographic, the higher you can build? Lower profit-per-unit would be offset by a larger number of units.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 31, 2015

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Cicero posted:

Well yeah, when demand across the spectrum isn't being met, fixed costs are high, and you can only build so many units, targeting the high end makes the most business sense. Somehow other metros manage to get reasonably affordable housing though, it's not like developers there wouldn't build all luxury housing all the time if they could get away with it.

LA is just behind NYC in "LOL poor people" in terms of urban planning.

I mean we literally have a designated section of the for homeless dumping and it's mere blocks away from 3k/mo "artist lofts".

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

quote:

The state’s environmental review process, outlined under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), is consistently used to halt or delay projects on environmental grounds, and provides significant opportunity for legal resistance even past the point of legislative approval.

I witnessed this first-hand. It doesn't just apply to residential developments either. A few years ago, a real estate developer friend of mine wanted to build a business center on the Long Beach coast. It was estimated to bring about 500 jobs, but faced so much opposition that the guy just gave up.

It's almost as if the state wants to gently caress itself. Pretty sad, really.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

enraged_camel posted:

I witnessed this first-hand. It doesn't just apply to residential developments either. A few years ago, a real estate developer friend of mine wanted to build a business center on the Long Beach coast. It was estimated to bring about 500 jobs, but faced so much opposition that the guy just gave up.

It's almost as if the state wants to gently caress itself. Pretty sad, really.

Yet somehow things get built. I'm not going to shed a tear for a real estate developer.

Sometimes environmental regulations can be used to wield political power(witness the purple line's original stoppage), but often it's folks crying about regulations and not being able to do what they want.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Zeitgueist posted:

LA is just behind NYC in "LOL poor people" in terms of urban planning.

I mean we literally have a designated section of the for homeless dumping and it's mere blocks away from 3k/mo "artist lofts".

Still not as bad as SF, which is honestly more "LOL non-rich people". Even the Tenderloin has $1900+ studios now. All that we have left is Bayview, which is as far away from the more interesting parts of town as you can get, and even then homes are going for over a million.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FCKGW posted:

The Daily Beast has a good article reiterating what most of us here already know: that long term changes to California's ag system are needed and restricting glasses of water at restaurants does nothing to solve our water issues.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/03/30/how-growers-gamed-california-s-drought.html

the vast of amount of waste by the ag industry is the real elephant in the room along with California's outdated water rights laws.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

Nobody does teardowns because then they'd have to pay modern property taxes.

Yet another interesting way Prop 13 has hosed California for decades.

No one has ever built cheap new buildings. The only way to get lower price apartments is to have older units. The fact that people are working hard to nimby everything is going to be a major problem as California goes forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

Yet somehow things get built.

I'm sorry, did you not read the article above which clearly states that the reason real estate is so insanely expensive in California is because things aren't built fast enough?

It focuses on residential real estate because that's what affects most people, but office spaces are also very expensive.

quote:

I'm not going to shed a tear for a real estate developer.

No one asked you to.