Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ahaha as I post that I discovered all my characters lost their passives forever because I double click to replace gear instead of drag/drop. Obsidian bugs own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

What WRPG hasn't been a buggy mess upon release?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Umm, that South Park RPG?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sakurazuka posted:

Umm, that South Park RPG?

I wonder who made that bug-free rpg

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The South Park RPG had a bunch of bugs, they just were mostly unimportant.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Ya I don't care about all the mechanical bugs. The tooltip bugs are annoying because the game is being acclaimed for its transparency but I find I can't trust the numbers being fed to me, they just don't match what's being reported in the combat log. More of a pet peeve than anything.

Quest bugs and this latest passives vanishing bugs suck. The quest in this case involved a keep and seemed really cool. It's not like the bugged Dorian's dad trying to un-gay him quest that broke in DA3. There was no loss there!

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 28, 2015

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rascyc posted:

Ya I don't care about all the mechanical bugs. The tooltip bugs are annoying because the game is being acclaimed for its transparency but I find I can't trust the numbers being fed to me, they just don't match what's being reported in the combat log. More of a pet peeve than anything.

Quest bugs and this latest passives vanishing bugs suck. The quest in this case involved a keep and seemed really cool. It's not like the bugged Dorian's dad trying to un-gay him quest that broke in DA3. There was no loss there!
I wanted to make a high-might wizard and blast poo poo, but I realized that this is heavily based off Infinity Engine games, so I should probably go control instead to have higher conversation stats, so I can talk my way out of things. Is this misguided?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

The vanishing passives on companions can be fixed by removing them from you party and then adding them back in. (Doesn't work for the main character though)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've had zero issues with Wasteland's combat. Like I don't know how you can call it a slog. Simplistic compared to its peers but it's not like battles take longer than a couple minutes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erebus posted:

What do you consider blatant? Because as I recall they all end in basically "you spent a long time together", which seems like exactly the sort of deliberately non-specific hand wave the other guy was saying Xenogears avoids.

The only example I can think of where it was close to blatant was Elizabeth in Persona 3, because she basically says "look, there's only one reason I'd be asking to see your room, are we gonna do this or not." But even then they step around saying it for some reason.
Shinji in P3P.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjGriGaUAhs

"I ain't a nice guy. I can't let you into my room."

"Don't you get it? Go back to your room."

"I'm gonna make myself clear... I ain't holding back anymore."

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i dunno maybe they just talked :v:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Codiekitty posted:

By the way, is Ramsus supposed to be taken seriously? At first it seemed like he was, but now he comes across as a gag villain.

He's supposed to seem kind of pathetic.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i dunno maybe they just talked :v:
They vigorously held hands.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Codiekitty posted:

... By the way, is Ramsus supposed to be taken seriously? At first it seemed like he was, but now he comes across as a gag villain.

Pretty sure you're supposed to feel bad for him at this point.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Renoistic posted:

Pretty sure you're supposed to feel bad for him at this point.

Maybe, but I can't help but think of Gilgamesh from Final Fantasy 5 whenever he shows up.

Well, the boss of the sunken spacecraft certainly was a case of "Easy when you know how".

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I wanted to make a high-might wizard and blast poo poo, but I realized that this is heavily based off Infinity Engine games, so I should probably go control instead to have higher conversation stats, so I can talk my way out of things. Is this misguided?
Nope, go nuts. The game seems very resilient to options. You can even say gently caress You to the tutorial and kill everyone at the start (it takes FOREVER) and you'll even get a reward for doing it.

Might is like the god-stat anyway, you're ahead of the curve.

al-azad posted:

I've had zero issues with Wasteland's combat. Like I don't know how you can call it a slog. Simplistic compared to its peers but it's not like battles take longer than a couple minutes.
Eh, the animations are needlessly long.

I don't quite agree with the original poster's opinions on Eternity, I think it's a pretty great game but it has its pros/cons like anything else.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think I've seen every stat show up in conversations and poking at scenery and such.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Rascyc posted:

I don't know, I felt the game moved faster than similar turn based games. It's certainly no slower than Divinity or Shadowrun. I'd say the most annoying thing are juggling active skills for simple things like opening a locked box but that's a non-issue when you get over the fact that random items won't make or break the game. Years of RPG design have hammered in the need to grab every single piece of gear and save/reload to squeeze every bit of juice out of your actions but Wasteland is pretty balanced so that if you critically fail to do something you can just move on and ignore it.

Item hoarding is something I'd like to see disappear from RPGs but it's something games have been battling with for decades. How do you convince the player to keep going in spite of a treasure chest dangling on the other side of a barrier they'll waste precious time trying to break down? And then the result is an item they'll probably never use because they save it for that "critical moment" that never comes.

I'd like to see more RPGs like Sweet Home where there are a finite number of items and every character has a unique skill. If you lose a character it's not the end of the world because there are items that replicate those skills.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Both of those games have been regarded as slogs by some critics, so it's a tough balancing act I guess. I think WL2 got extra damnation because of all the skill checks and associated animations, but I mean that was the kind of game they were designing and they were honest about it from the start.

I personally could tolerate SR to a certain extent, but Divinity got really annoying towards the end of the game. I think it became one of those games that assumed you would break it but then they patched away several of the game breaking stuff so I don't know.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pillars is pretty alright so far but positioning becomes a hassle because the doorways and hallways ensure that the party ends up a giant blob by the time you run into an encounter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Pillars is pretty alright so far but positioning becomes a hassle because the doorways and hallways ensure that the party ends up a giant blob by the time you run into an encounter.
there isn't a single WRPG that this hasn't been a problem for

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite was this mission in NWN2 where you, your party, and a bunch of NPCs had to defend a mansion

it wound up with 20 guys stuck on a stairway, boxed in on both sides by orcs

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Rascyc posted:

Oh that reminds me, why the hell does Citan keep sheathing and unsheathing his sword during his attacks? I mean, there's animating your battles, and then there's dragging them out with actions that don't even make sense.

Also, one of his deathblows looks like he attacks the enemy by committing seppuku at them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

All these game destroying bugs in Pillars tho just proves that Obsidian is really bad at that kind of poo poo and people putting all the blame on their publishers are dumb.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Codiekitty posted:

Oh that reminds me, why the hell does Citan keep sheathing and unsheathing his sword during his attacks? I mean, there's animating your battles, and then there's dragging them out with actions that don't even make sense.

Also, one of his deathblows looks like he attacks the enemy by committing seppuku at them.

i haven't played it, but that's a popular thing in samurai media. its called iado

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

All these game destroying bugs in Pillars tho just proves that Obsidian is really bad at that kind of poo poo and people putting all the blame on their publishers are dumb.

It's more like Obsidian has no idea how to use other people's engines. Dungeon Siege 3 and South Park were rock solid with little major issues. I don't know why they went with Unity instead of their in-house Onyx engine. I'm guessing it was a portability issue, like they're planning on a tablet release?

Without a publisher though they have zero excuse not to patch the game. The publisher funds post-launch support. Them being on their own means it's all on their head to address issues.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

al-azad posted:

Without a publisher though they have zero excuse not to patch the game. The publisher funds post-launch support. Them being on their own means it's all on their head to address issues.

I believe there's a patch coming sometime this week.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It turns out that people who play video games are the cruelest publisher of them all.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Codiekitty posted:

Look and sound familiar?

I agree Citan's animations are a little too long but he can take out loving gears on foot with his sword so all is forgiven.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

i haven't played it, but that's a popular thing in samurai media. its called iado

it's a popular thing in samurai media because it's an actual thing in real life.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

al-azad posted:

Item hoarding is something I'd like to see disappear from RPGs but it's something games have been battling with for decades. How do you convince the player to keep going in spite of a treasure chest dangling on the other side of a barrier they'll waste precious time trying to break down? And then the result is an item they'll probably never use because they save it for that "critical moment" that never comes.

I don't understand. If the developers don't want the player to try and get an item in a hard-to-reach chest, they would have not put the chest in at all. If the player does not want to waste time getting the chest, they will not. If they want to hoard their items, they will. You can't change that.

The best way to make players use really awesome items is something developers have been struggling with forever.

Rascyc posted:

Both of those games have been regarded as slogs by some critics, so it's a tough balancing act I guess. I think WL2 got extra damnation because of all the skill checks and associated animations, but I mean that was the kind of game they were designing and they were honest about it from the start.

I personally could tolerate SR to a certain extent, but Divinity got really annoying towards the end of the game. I think it became one of those games that assumed you would break it but then they patched away several of the game breaking stuff so I don't know.

I kinda skipped the entire last major combat area in Original Sin which was packed with like 50 enemies because I didn't feel like fighting them. I just snuck by with invisibility. Some of the later-game fights did seem to assume you were piling on status effects.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

I don't think anyone in the world has ever used iaido for actual combat and not gotten murderer, though. Dias Flac does it too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

GulagDolls posted:

I don't think anyone in the world has ever used iaido for actual combat and not gotten murderer, though. Dias Flac does it too

Lots of martial arts don't really work except under specific circumstances that never stopped people putting them in media because they look cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

Yeah, and giant robots are completely impractical on a conceptual level, but here we are.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i'm just saying iaido is a weird choice to repeatedly put in games, and doesn't really work under any circumstances, but I don't even think it looks cool so maybe that's why. I can think of less examples of 'musashi' style swordswieldings

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I don't understand. If the developers don't want the player to try and get an item in a hard-to-reach chest, they would have not put the chest in at all. If the player does not want to waste time getting the chest, they will not. If they want to hoard their items, they will. You can't change that.

The best way to make players use really awesome items is something developers have been struggling with forever.

I kinda skipped the entire last major combat area in Original Sin which was packed with like 50 enemies because I didn't feel like fighting them. I just snuck by with invisibility. Some of the later-game fights did seem to assume you were piling on status effects.

What I'm getting at is that RPG players in particular intentionally torture themselves while blaming it on the game. Like claiming how difficult a fight is while sitting on 20 megalixers. Or constantly reloading a save game to get that 5% roll that opens the chest containing another megalixer that won't get used while blaming the game for wasting their time in the first place.

This has always been a major problem in tabletop games where the players never want to use items like potions and scrolls even if they could save their life.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's an interesting design problem because it isn't one you can solve through logical means. You can't even depend on "make the game hard" to do it because players will die repeatedly before they'll use an item.

What's interesting to me is that the greatest success comes from making players feel items are unimportant or easily replenished... which in turn makes it harder to make them feel important.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GulagDolls posted:

i'm just saying iaido is a weird choice to repeatedly put in games
why

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've always wondered if there's some way to make hoarding mentality a little less prevalent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

It's an interesting design problem because it isn't one you can solve through logical means. You can't even depend on "make the game hard" to do it because players will die repeatedly before they'll use an item.

What's interesting to me is that the greatest success comes from making players feel items are unimportant or easily replenished... which in turn makes it harder to make them feel important.

I felt like DA:I potions/grenades were done pretty well. I use them, but I hate to use them because I hate farming mats to make them.