Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gameplay vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpPQQEcMEg

I compared it to a Wii version and yeah...graphics look like poo poo in comparison.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
All 3DS games tend to look like poo poo when viewed on youtube.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I do believe it'll look a lot better in motion on the N3DS screen itself, but I'm still a little sad to go from upscaled Xenoblade via Dolphin (Which if you never tried it looks really, really good) to this. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Gameplay vid:

I compared it to a Wii version and yeah...graphics look like poo poo in comparison.

Its stretched out onto a screen it wasnt designed for. If you see the official nintendo trailers (the more recent ones), they look a bit better.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Its stretched out onto a screen it wasnt designed for. If you see the official nintendo trailers (the more recent ones), they look a bit better.

Hope so. Doesn't really matter in the long run if the game is fun.

The more I see, the more I feel this really should be played on a big screen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waltzing Along posted:

Hope so. Doesn't really matter in the long run if the game is fun.

The more I see, the more I feel this really should be played on a big screen.

I generally agree it's more of a big-screen game, but by no means a bad port. Its a great choice to show what the n3DS is capable of.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you have the option to play it on a big screen I still think you should do that.

But at least this version will make it accessible to people who never had an opportunity to play the original.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm just waiting for Xenoblade Chronicles X. I don't think I have the stomach for two 100+ hour Xenoblade RPGs in one year, and that poo poo is gonna look pretty in HD.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

Gameplay vid:

Look at this comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4EBvxsPrJo

I don't know if I'm just blind or something but they look identical to me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Help Im Alive posted:

Look at this comparison video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4EBvxsPrJo

I don't know if I'm just blind or something but they look identical to me

Aside from character models being a little blurrier, its pretty much identical. Oh, and dont worry about the different lighting - Xenoblade has a dynamic day/night cycle so that cutscene could occur any time of day. You can even change the clock to whatever time of day you like from the menu.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can even change the clock to whatever time of day you like from the menu.

Which makes it pretty stupid that this person didn't do that for what's supposed to be a comparison video

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I don't know how, but once again Zelda (Majora's Mask) seems to be the definitive "amazing 3D" game on the console.

It just works soo well. Better than any 3D thing i've ever seen/played. It's nuts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kin posted:

I don't know how, but once again Zelda (Majora's Mask) seems to be the definitive "amazing 3D" game on the console.

It just works soo well. Better than any 3D thing i've ever seen/played. It's nuts.

Seeing as it's the current thread topic, Xenoblade's probably going to top it. There are some amazing views in the game, especially as you can pretty much go to anyplace you can see in a region.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Kin posted:

A lot of people here seem to claim it as "the best Zelda" but I started it last night and I'm having my doubts about that one after having to do this dumb fetch quest where I have to wander around playing hide and seek with these dipshit kids. I really hope it picks up in a big way after this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

raditts posted:

A lot of people here seem to claim it as "the best Zelda" but I started it last night and I'm having my doubts about that one after having to do this dumb fetch quest where I have to wander around playing hide and seek with these dipshit kids. I really hope it picks up in a big way after this.

The first cycle is pretty slow and a straight line in terms of what you have to do. The game opens way up afterwards. If you want to skip time once you have the Title Deed, go talk to the Scarecrow in the Item Shop

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are tons of games that make really good use of 3d that don't get talked about much for it. Resident evil revelations comes to mind. If you haven't, you should download the demo and crank the 3d depth to max in the options menu. It's seriously crazy the level of depth it achieves.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Most reviews that comment on the 3D say that it's implemented pretty poorly and basically just has a 'foreground' and 'background' layer. It's understandable since the 3DS doesn't have the ability to project as much depth as the larger vistas in Xenoblade would demand.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first cycle is pretty slow and a straight line in terms of what you have to do. The game opens way up afterwards. If you want to skip time once you have the Title Deed, go talk to the Scarecrow in the Item Shop

Exactly this. In true Zelda fashion, you're led around by the nose for the first 3-day cycle, but everything becomes so much more open when you're back in your Hylian body.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aside from character models being a little blurrier, its pretty much identical.

Not really. The character models have always been blurry, even on the Wii, but the environmental textures have gotten a pretty serious downgrade. Look at the tree at the beginning and pretty much any shot of the ground, the 3DS version is noticeably less detailed. It's a shame, playing the game in Dolphin you can see it's actually a really, really good looking game, just screaming for a proper HD release. Ah well.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Dreyvas posted:

This is probably a terrible topic to bring this up in, but does anyone own a GBA Micro? I've been itching to pick up some classic GBA titles (Metroid Fusion, Zero Mission, Golden Sun titles, WarioWare, etc) and am wondering how people like the handheld.

Yes I got one a few weeks ago with metroid fusion and its incredible, get one for sure.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

African AIDS cum posted:

Yes I got one a few weeks ago with metroid fusion and its incredible, get one for sure.

Agreed. Especially if you can get your hands on an EZFlash 4 or something similar. It becomes drat near a keychain of boredom alleviation.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't think Majora's Nah should be called the best Zelda, but it certainly is a lot of people's favorite, including myself. I don't think it's objectively the best though.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nothing is objectively the best aside from Majora's Mask, the best Zelda

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

raditts posted:

Yeah, i don't really remember that much about the game to be honest. I remember it being good but nothing that screamed "i'm super amazing, remember me forever" like OoT did.

I really meant from a technical level that the 3D just works so well.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't played MM yet. But knowing that if you get sick of poo poo, you can kill everyone is a pretty good selling point.

I mean, you are dead and the game is over, but it's not just you who dies. What fun is it when you die and put a game down and it ends with the bad guy winning. gently caress, in MM, you can become the bad guy. Let that moon crash. Put the game aside. Everyone is dead. Next game.

Looking forward to destroying the world in MM.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Give me one good reason Nintendo isn't pumping out 3ds zelda games each year on the ALBW engine? Thats the best Zelda game of all time

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They need the developers for other games, if they had one team just pumping out a yearly of something it would stagnate other development.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

African AIDS cum posted:

Give me one good reason Nintendo isn't pumping out 3ds zelda games each year on the ALBW engine? Thats the best Zelda game of all time

Because they have already made the same game 15 times.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WII-Xenoblade-Chronicles-BRAND-NEW-FACTORY-SEALED-/321642233546?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae35efeca

How does this happen? 50 copies sold? More than 10 still availalble? I thought this game was rare as gently caress. And a gamestop exclusive.

I see things like this all the time on ebay. LIke someone will have a poo poo ton of some exclusive amiibo. How do they get them all? There have to be some weird back channels out there that the public doesn't have access to. But this xenoblade one just dumbfounds me. I could see the odd one or two here or there. But that many? That's a few cases worth.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Getting myself a N3DS today. What is the RPG of choice - Bravely Default or Fire Emblem?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sacred Cow posted:

Getting myself a N3DS today. What is the RPG of choice - Bravely Default or Fire Emblem?

Etrian Odyssey 4

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes

Sacred Cow posted:

Both are fine choices. Do you want a traditional jrpg? Bravely Default. Do you want a strategy game? Fire Emblem.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sacred Cow posted:

Do you like turn-based jRPGs or sRPGs more?

(The correct answer is Etrian Odyssey 4)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kin posted:

Yeah, i don't really remember that much about the game to be honest. I remember it being good but nothing that screamed "i'm super amazing, remember me forever" like OoT did.

I really meant from a technical level that the 3D just works so well.

OOT is not super amazing

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Both are fine choices. Do you want a traditional jrpg? Bravely Default. Do you want a strategy game? Fire Emblem.

I'm a child of the FF 4 & 6 era so I guess I'll be picking BD.

I was agonizing over a 3DS or Wii U but the Wii U seems to be missing a good RPG library. My 3 year old will probably love the Mario/Toad games on Wii U but he seems content playing Wii Sports Resort until the end of the time for now.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sacred Cow posted:

I was agonizing over a 3DS or Wii U but the Wii U seems to be missing a good RPG library. My 3 year old will probably love the Mario/Toad games on Wii U but he seems content playing Wii Sports Resort until the end of the time for now.

Get the Wii U. For the same price you get the better system. Not that the 3ds is bad, but the Wii U is #1 right now.

E: w/ the virtual console, you do have access to some rpgs.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sacred Cow posted:

BD is essentially a love letter to the FF4-6 era, so that's a pretty good mindset to have to enjoy it.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

OOT is not super amazing
It was at the time it came out

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Get the Wii U. For the same price you get the better system. Not that the 3ds is bad, but the Wii U is #1 right now.

E: w/ the virtual console, you do have access to some rpgs.

Virtual Console was one of the tempting things on the Wii U. I'd love to play Metroid Prime Trilogy or Earthbound without paying $80 or $250 respectively (or pirating). Same thing with Xenoblade but that's hitting the N3DS soon.

edit - Also remote playing with the tablet like it was a handheld anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you can do both, do both. But there really shouldn't be an argument between the two when the price is the same. I get the desire to play RPGs but there are some on the Wii U, more are being released, you have the VC and Wii backwards compatibility. And you'll have a system that your child can grow into and you can play together.