Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Crotch Fruit posted:

I have a Ryboi wood bandsaw, can I use it to cut some sheet metal? I want to cut a piece just thick enough to hold it's shape for a panel about a foot square in size. Ideally I would be using aluminum or steel just depending on what I can get a hold of.

Band saws are commonly used for that, but if you don't have a blade specced for cutting metal expect it to go dull really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

As a general rule, most tools in your shop can handle soft/non-ferrous metals and plastics with little more than a blade change if that.

coathat
May 21, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to make my own composting barrel following the instructions here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

This'll be my first real project, and as such I don't have many tools. I've got an 18v cordless drill, but no bit sets, and a hammer. I'm thinking I'll need a few drill bit sets and probably a reciprocating saw to cut the holes in the barrel? We've also got a ton of stumps and long branches in the yard, including one that's about 6 feet long and up to 10 inches or so in diameter that I'd like to cut up. Would something like the item below be fine for home use, if I'm planning to do most of the cutting inside my garage, or should I go for something nicer? I hear mixed things about Harbor Freight so I don't know yet what is good to pick up there and what I should look for elsewhere. Assume the price is ~20% lower than listing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-professional-variable-speed-reciprocating-saw-69066.html

I've cut bigger stuff with a better saw when my chainsaw was broken but it was a pain in the rear end and took forever.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can do the holes in the barrel with your drill and some hole saws, which are basically cylindrical saws that can chuck into a drill. Just make certain you drill a pilot hole first with a normal drill bit, because hole saws can be really hard to aim properly.

A chainsaw is really the proper tool for cutting up branches and logs. You can get a small electric chainsaw that'll get those jobs done for about the same price as a reciprocating saw, but it'll do a far better job.

coathat posted:

I've cut bigger stuff with a better saw when my chainsaw was broken but it was a pain in the rear end and took forever.

Thanks for the advice both of you! I'll have to look at chainsaws too; I guess I was hoping that whatever I got for the trees would also work for the door I'm going to need to cut for the barrel, which is why I was looking at the saw.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

GobiasIndustries posted:

Thanks for the advice both of you! I'll have to look at chainsaws too; I guess I was hoping that whatever I got for the trees would also work for the door I'm going to need to cut for the barrel, which is why I was looking at the saw.

For occasional use you can go pretty cheap with a simple $10 bow saw. I use one of those to cut up large fruit tree branches and it works surprisingly well.

For your composter project you're going to want a circular saw to cut the 2x4s. I see them all the time at garage sales for $5 to $20 and a new blade is pretty cheap. You can go even cheaper with a basic hand saw and miter box.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'm looking to make my own composting barrel following the instructions here:
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-Tumbling-Composter

This'll be my first real project, and as such I don't have many tools. I've got an 18v cordless drill, but no bit sets, and a hammer. I'm thinking I'll need a few drill bit sets and probably a reciprocating saw to cut the holes in the barrel? We've also got a ton of stumps and long branches in the yard, including one that's about 6 feet long and up to 10 inches or so in diameter that I'd like to cut up. Would something like the item below be fine for home use, if I'm planning to do most of the cutting inside my garage, or should I go for something nicer? I hear mixed things about Harbor Freight so I don't know yet what is good to pick up there and what I should look for elsewhere. Assume the price is ~20% lower than listing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-professional-variable-speed-reciprocating-saw-69066.html

I've used a reciprocating saw for cutting branches before. In fact, cordless ones are awesome for tree pruning.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

kid sinister posted:

I've used a reciprocating saw for cutting branches before. In fact, cordless ones are awesome for tree pruning.
I used my Hackzall to remove and break down branches from a couple of trees that we took down last fall at my buddy's property. It worked OK (especially with the dedicated pruning blades I bought), but not terribly well. I imagine a full-size Sawzall (either corldess or corded) would work a bit better, but still not as good as even an electric chainsaw.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 31, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
No chainsaw feels like a lightsaber-grade one-hand tree-murder weapon the way an M12 Hackzall does. Might be more effective, but less fun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Clearly you've never seen a pistol grip chainsaw.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:monocle:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo, :lol: I was just kidding around in reference to a chainsaw that was converted to pistol grip by way of falling off a snow machine and having its handle broken. Googling "pistol grip chainsaw" brings up this li'l cutie, though, and I'm not gonna lie: I wanna give it a go. Hydraulic chainsaw:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Are those air hose connections at the bottom? Is this a chainsaw that's powered by compressed air? Is that a thing?

EDIT: vvv I fail at reading, apparently.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 30, 2015

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

Hydraulic chainsaw

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
The obvious question is "if there's a hydraulic model, where's the air version?" :dance:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Splizwarf posted:

The obvious question is "if there's a hydraulic model, where's the air version?" :dance:

Right here, but you have to shout either "Thundercats, HO!" or "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL" when you go to use it:

That actually looks hydraulic as well, but came up when googling "pneumatic chainsaw," which actually provided a large number of results, soooo v:shobon:v

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

You can do the holes in the barrel with your drill and some hole saws, which are basically cylindrical saws that can chuck into a drill. Just make certain you drill a pilot hole first with a normal drill bit, because hole saws can be really hard to aim properly.

Every hole saw I've ever seen has a pilot bit in the middle. You can see it peeking out in the pic there.I've seen a lot with longer ones, though.

kid sinister posted:

Nice for pruning things that are too small to bother firing up the chainsaw, anything over a couple inches really requires a chainsaw.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

For occasional use you can go pretty cheap with a simple $10 bow saw. I use one of those to cut up large fruit tree branches and it works surprisingly well.
Or this. They're surprisingly fast.

Bad Munki posted:

Right here, but you have to shout either "Thundercats, HO!" or "BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL" when you go to use it:

That actually looks hydraulic as well, but came up when googling "pneumatic chainsaw," which actually provided a large number of results, soooo v:shobon:v
It looks like something out of Warhammer 40k. I need one, I don't care if I have to hire a guy to push around the cart with the engine/pump on it behind me as I act out my Space Marine fantasies on poor unsuspecting trees.

Speaking of hiring a guy to push a cart around: It's hilarious when you realize there must be some poor PA running behind Jay Z with the bottles for the gas axe in the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoEKWtgJQAU

And of course they use the good ol' Milwaukee Sawzall for the actual butchery.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
I have to say, it kind of makes me want to reach through the screen and open the oxygen more. Get it together, obscenely rich musicians!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Hydraulic chainsaw:

This is a pretty standard thing for tree service companies. Almost all of the bucket trucks around here have PTOs to run the hydraulics piped up to the bucket for saws like this. I assumed this was a pretty universal thing for that type of truck.

Has to be a hell of a lot cheaper and more reliable than maintaining a bunch of small two stroke motors and stocking fuel.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of hiring a guy to push a cart around: It's hilarious when you realize there must be some poor PA running behind Jay Z with the bottles for the gas axe in the intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoEKWtgJQAU

I must say I'm not feeling the new top gear format. It really did die with Jezza.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Delivery McGee posted:

Nice for pruning things that are too small to bother firing up the chainsaw, anything over a couple inches really requires a chainsaw.

If you let the branches get that thick in the first place, then you aren't pruning as often as you should be.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
I may have even asked this here before, but is any old cheapo pancake compressor fine for just inflating things/compressed air for blowing stuff off other stuff?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

uwaeve posted:

I may have even asked this here before, but is any old cheapo pancake compressor fine for just inflating things/compressed air for blowing stuff off other stuff?

Pretty much. Those little ones contractors use for nail guns are fine and usually around $100 even for decent ones like the 6 gallon Porter Cable.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Check out California Air Tools if you want a quiet version.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
I'm looking to buy a circular saw and a cordless drill to do some home projects, what are some good models to look at? Hopefully for under $150 for each but I'll pay more for quality.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Kinfolk Jones posted:

I'm looking to buy a circular saw and a cordless drill to do some home projects, what are some good models to look at? Hopefully for under $150 for each but I'll pay more for quality.

When I asked about circular saws earlier, I was directed to this circular saw. Haven't had a chance/excuse to fire it up yet though.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
...and then you could use the extra in your budget to get a drill / impact driver combo pack from Milwaukee: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-2494-22B/205482513

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

powderific posted:

...and then you could use the extra in your budget to get a drill / impact driver combo pack from Milwaukee: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Drill-Driver-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-2-Tool-2494-22B/205482513

It's well worth getting a drill/driver combo, I would say. Impact drivers are great for DIY/home repair, especially if you're in an old place with stuck screws you need to get out. 18v is best if you can afford it, but 14v does me just fine. And obviously, if you're going cordless for everything, try to get the same brand with the same batteries, it makes life a shitload easier.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Has anyone used the Makita 18v circular saw? Is it any good? My dad gave me a makita drill and impact driver and I am wondering if it is worth getting more makita gear. Also is there anywhere good to buy refurbished Makita tools?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've used the 6 1/2" LXT version for a couple weeks at work. Not bad, like most battery circular saws it's not exactly spectacular in larger solid wood. Kicks rear end in plywood and doing framing with 2x4's. I really like the Makita stuff, it's largely on par with Milwaukee as the best of the current battery tools as long as you're just after carpentry stuff. I use Milwaukee stuff personally and Makita/Rigid at work, and they're a tossup doing general work.

The 7 1/4 Milwaukee Fuel is the loving tits, though. It's as good as a corded saw.

CPOOutlets should have reconditioned Makita stuff.

e: http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...on&prefv1=recon
That is really cheap, holy hell.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Hypnolobster posted:

CPOOutlets should have reconditioned Makita stuff.

e: http://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-r...on&prefv1=recon
That is really cheap, holy hell.

Perfect thanks. This is just for medium duty carpentry.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
You may want to go find and handle the makita, or any tool, first. I have the corded model of that saw and made the mistake of buying it sight unseen. The saw works fine, but personally I really do not care for the forward hand grip or the design of the shield retracting lever.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

Has anyone used the Makita 18v circular saw? Is it any good? My dad gave me a makita drill and impact driver and I am wondering if it is worth getting more makita gear. Also is there anywhere good to buy refurbished Makita tools?

I have it and honestly, it's not been great. I would add a LED work light and sawzall before I would add the 18v saw. It has come in handy a few times, but only once or twice where I could not have easily brought my corded saw over.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008
Home Depot has a sale going on 22" Werner telescoping multi ladder for $129 (reg $199).

I like these, I have the 16' version and use it quite a bit. I also have a 20' extension ladder but I think it might get retired if I end up going with this deal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-2...24d1ccf&cj=true

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sointenly posted:

Home Depot has a sale going on 22" Werner telescoping multi ladder for $129 (reg $199).

I like these, I have the 16' version and use it quite a bit. I also have a 20' extension ladder but I think it might get retired if I end up going with this deal.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-2...24d1ccf&cj=true

Oh, sweet. I'm going to need a second ladder for my workshop project anyway, to set up some ladder jacks. Thanks for the notification.

And yeah, I have a smaller one of these already and it's a pretty decent ladder.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.
Have you guys heard of European Norm Tools? If so are they any good? They seem to be priced in the lower mid-range.

Specifically their 8mm shank router bits. As their sets are pretty well rounded and not too expensive.

Sointenly
Sep 7, 2008

Oh, sweet. I'm going to need a second ladder for my workshop project anyway, to set up some ladder jacks. Thanks for the notification.

And yeah, I have a smaller one of these already and it's a pretty decent ladder.

Good call, replaced some fascia boards a few months back and ladder jacks made it 99% less of a pain in the rear end.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

the spyder posted:

I have it and honestly, it's not been great. I would add a LED work light and sawzall before I would add the 18v saw. It has come in handy a few times, but only once or twice where I could not have easily brought my corded saw over.

Yeah I might just buy a corded saw like I originally planned and get a sawzall so I can stop borrowing my coworkers. But I will need a cordless saw for some specific projects so I am going to see if I can borrow someones for that before I decide.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

the spyder posted:

I would add a LED work light

I'll second this. I got this for my birthday, best loving flashlight I've ever owned.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zhentar posted:

I'll second this. I got this for my birthday, best loving flashlight I've ever owned.

I am super-fond of this light, which I've been using for a few years now. It's pretty cheap, but has good battery capacity, great light output, and you can just leave it plugged in and it won't damage its battery (unlike a lot of other models I was looking at when I was shopping for lights).

Granted I mostly use it to run my dog in the early morning, instead of as a worklight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
If you have Makita gear, and I know I've said it before- but this is the best drat light I have used. http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXLM03...+led+flashlight