Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bubble-T posted:

That's basically why I didn't buy it. I'm not sure who would actually enjoy it and while I like the crazy ideas in it, it does look like a bunch of parts that wouldn't stick together quite right.

I'll save the money for Pictomania if I ever see that.

B2M2 is a lot of silly fun and is an excellent replacement for dumb party games. I've had great success teaching it to people that don't play many games, and people that are used to playing simple games like Munchkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ConfusedUs posted:

speaking of Vlaada, my copy of Tash Kalar came in today.

A big part of the game actually IS piece management, but mainly with respect to flares. Flares drastically improve your action economy at the cost of general board control; during a game you want to minimize enemy flare use while maximizing your own. Understand this, and the game will open up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So I took out my housemate's copy of dungeon petz to play with her and it looks like she's missing a cage extension. We found 5: 1 play, 1 grubs, 2 +1 magic defense, and a +1 strength. Could someone check their copy of the game and tell me which one is missing?

Edit: Also would anyone happen to know where we can get replacements?

Elyv fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 30, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Bubble-T posted:

Was it 5 players? I know a number of GtR fans don't like the game at more than 3 partly because the playtime doesn't scale well.

It was 4p. I like 3p best probably, but I've played 4 with different people and it's been fast enough. This group was trying a little too hard on only their second play so there was a lot of crap where someone would take 5 minutes just to follow someone else's order, when they could have just gone with intuition and probably end up with the same point total.

Need to close the blast visor and use the force and just power through games like these and not try to play them like they are tourney level chess.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What are the "must-have" expansions for 7 Wonders?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Personally, Leaders is a must-have because it gives you something to work towards straight from the beginning. I like Cities as well, and would recommend it. The set of extra boards is alright, but I'd stop short of Babel. If you add in Babel after Leaders and Cities, it just becomes too much.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Leaders since they add a fun element to the game. Cities makes money more important and actually makes for some hard choices occasionally (do I pass this card that I know will be used to dick me over eventually?). The Wonders Pack is pretty okay, but I'd get that after Cities. Babel last, if ever.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Elyv posted:

So I took out my housemate's copy of dungeon petz to play with her and it looks like she's missing a cage extension. We found 5: 1 play, 1 grubs, 2 +1 magic defense, and a +1 strength. Could someone check their copy of the game and tell me which one is missing?

Edit: Also would anyone happen to know where we can get replacements?

There should be a second +1 strength tile. You could maybe get a replacement if you email CGE and ask nicely.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Big McHuge posted:

Personally, Leaders is a must-have because it gives you something to work towards straight from the beginning. I like Cities as well, and would recommend it. The set of extra boards is alright, but I'd stop short of Babel. If you add in Babel after Leaders and Cities, it just becomes too much.

OTOH the leaders are not particularly balanced and you can get screwed over by a bad draw before the game even starts. Cities I tend to enjoy, though it can make the game a lot more cutthroat if you're not used to the new cards.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ojetor posted:

There should be a second +1 strength tile. You could maybe get a replacement if you email CGE and ask nicely.

Thanks! I've sent them an email, we'll see how it goes.

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

speaking of Vlaada, my copy of Tash Kalar came in today.

This game is good! Here's my quick mini review.

The basic rules are simple: you get two actions. You can place a token on a grid, or you can play a card to do a thing if you have tokens in the right positions.

It's pretty abstract. The game is supposed to be a gladiatorial arena where you're summoning fantastic creatures to fight for you. The tokens represent your forces, which gain power as you do things.

The game supports up to four players, in both free-for-all and team variations. Plus there are two rule sets: Deathmatch (points for taking out opponents' tokens) and High Form (points for accomplishing specific tasks).

I played High Form twice today. First game, neither of us really knew what we were doing and didn't really focus on the objectives. The game ended when we ran out of cards, rather than by points. Second game, I went hardcore for the tasks; my opponent seemed more focused on messing with my formations than on tasks of his own. I won, in a near shutout.

I've only played the two games, but it really seems that this is a game that's all about aggression. It seems pretty much pointless to protect individual pieces. It's sort of possible, kinda. But it seems that a better strategy is to set yourself up so that you'll make some sort of gain no matter what your opponent does.

thx for the advice i could use if only my brother would buy the boardgames already. *cough* *cough*

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

ConfusedUs posted:

I've only played the two games, but it really seems that this is a game that's all about aggression. It seems pretty much pointless to protect individual pieces. It's sort of possible, kinda. But it seems that a better strategy is to set yourself up so that you'll make some sort of gain no matter what your opponent does.

Steamrolling through enemy pieces (unless you're the barbarians, who can mow down enemy pieces consistently) isn't really worth it because you give a chance for flares. Keeping your opponent 2 or 3 pieces behind is the sweet spot where flares won't hurt you much, but you still have board superiority. An intelligent opponent with 4-5 well placed pieces and a good flare can score a objective a turn.

Rather than killing stuff just for the sake of it, try to keep your opponent pieces apart. A piece that is 3 spaces away from friendlies is (mostly) useless and still counts against your opponent regarding flares. Keep in mind important and easily recognizable formations (for example, the legendary units and the units that can kill them) and disrupt you opponent's attempt at building them. If you're good at pattern recognition, 4-5 games will be enough to recognize some of them, and you'll start to see an assassin or an infantry captain coming, especially if your opponent keeps trying to build the same stuff turn after turn.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Elyv posted:

Thanks! I've sent them an email, we'll see how it goes.

I know I'm too late, but they literally have a "stuff is missing/damaged/lost(!)" header on their contact form: http://czechgames.com/en/contact/
I used it when the manual for Dungeon Lords was missing, and they were very helpful and sent it to me. It took a week for them to respond, but that was during the great US customs screwover, so I think they'll be fairly swift now.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Are there any Spanish/editable player aids for Kemet around? The ones I've found on bgg are either just text (so not really helpful to understand the tiles) or .pdfs, so I can't translate them without starting from scratch.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Are there any Spanish/editable player aids for Kemet around? The ones I've found on bgg are either just text (so not really helpful to understand the tiles) or .pdfs, so I can't translate them without starting from scratch.

Try writing to the authors of the PDFs.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Malloreon posted:

The best review of it I've seen is from clearclaw on BGG - he's the guy who taught me 18XX.

I've played it a few times and it is fantastic.

Note there's also a $3 iOS version with pass 'n' play multiplayer on the iOS app store under the game's original name, Wabash Cannonball.

I downloaded the app, its very nice but the AI is terrible - I won against 3 AIs in my first game.

Still, I'm now pretty sure I want the game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Picked up Tash Kalar on Saturday myself since I saw the 2e version in the game store I went to, and got the everfrost deck right away as well. Managed to get it to the table for a high form game the same day and it went over pretty well, although for a good part of it we focused on just annihilating each others pieces. Amazingly both of us could only flare once the whole game, despite this annihilation strategy. It fits a nice niche I don't have filled yet for a quick strategy game so this should hit the table pretty often.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BonHair posted:

I know I'm too late, but they literally have a "stuff is missing/damaged/lost(!)" header on their contact form: http://czechgames.com/en/contact/
I used it when the manual for Dungeon Lords was missing, and they were very helpful and sent it to me. It took a week for them to respond, but that was during the great US customs screwover, so I think they'll be fairly swift now.

Yeah, I stumbled across that and sent it through there. That's definitely encouraging though.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
First of the Dominion Adventures previews is up, holy poo poo.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1345756/previews-1-lost-city-magpie-hero

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I like the mechanic of the Hero. Are there any other cards that do something similar outside the expansion? I assume that the other cards in the series (Page, Treasure Hunter, Warrior, Hero, Champion) are coming in this expansion as well.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Urchin/Mercenary is the only other one I can think of, kinda Squire

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hermit -> Madman.

Also, seeing these reinforces my belief that Baker was a mistake. I really don't enjoy having that card in the pool. Probably my least favorite next to Black Market.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

I really like the Magpie, I don't know how much of a trap option it is though. My favorite card is easily Rats, so anything that reminds me somewhat of that definitely seems awesome.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Madmarker posted:

I really like the Magpie, I don't know how much of a trap option it is though. My favorite card is easily Rats, so anything that reminds me somewhat of that definitely seems awesome.

Magpie's not a trap, unless you buy more than 1. Consider a typical Magpie/Silver opening. It's turn out to be a Laboratory 75% of the time and the other 25%, it's pretty much a Wishing Well that sets up for a Lab later. It compares favorably with Ironmonger which is one of the strongest 4-drops.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I downloaded the app, its very nice but the AI is terrible - I won against 3 AIs in my first game.

Still, I'm now pretty sure I want the game.

My bad, I should have mentioned that. It's very good for playing around a table with people, but the single player is not great. I met the guy who wrote the app (clearclaw taught him 18XX too) but it looks like the app hasn't been updated since 2011.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The end game scoring was a little confusing but man I really enjoyed my first game of Keyflower. This was at 6 players too.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Magpie's not a trap, unless you buy more than 1. Consider a typical Magpie/Silver opening. It's turn out to be a Laboratory 75% of the time and the other 25%, it's pretty much a Wishing Well that sets up for a Lab later. It compares favorably with Ironmonger which is one of the strongest 4-drops.

DonaldX did say, "they're not Rats with wings" in his preview (note the capitalized Rats).

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Hero seems slightly broken in Plat/Colony games
e: Oh wait nm I read the description it's not buyable

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Hero seems slightly broken in Plat/Colony games
e: Oh wait nm I read the description it's not buyable

Yeah, given how long it takes to get Hero and Champion, I assume they're going to be flat out amazing, because they take multiple deck cycles to obtain; the game should be going on over by the time you're playing a Hero.

They seem interesting, but given that my group has basically stopped playing Dominion at this point (much to my chagrin) I'm not sure how much I actually care.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tash Kalar question.

Under what circumstances can a token be upgraded?

The guy I played with yesterday said tokens go from common to heroic if they kill something on their turn (during a combat move or leap, for example) in addition to if a card says so.

This would make movement cards quite powerful, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's designed that way.

I can't seem to find much in the rules to support either, which makes me think card-only is right.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ConfusedUs posted:

Only when a card says they're upgraded.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

The guy I played with yesterday said tokens go from common to heroic if they kill something on their turn (during a combat move or leap, for example) in addition to if a card says so.
No they don't. They upgrade if a card tells you so. That's it.

EDIT: Minor rules point that I missed the first time I played: You cannot play a lower ranked token on top of a higher ranked one during a summon. That means you cannot kill heroic pieces with common summons.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fat Samurai posted:

No they don't. They upgrade if a card tells you so. That's it.

EDIT: Minor rules point that I missed the first time I played: You cannot play a lower ranked token on top of a higher ranked one during a summon. That means you cannot kill heroic pieces with common summons.

Thanks for the clarification. Card-only does seem right. I think the guy was taking the Swordmaster's power (upgrade if you kill something) and applying it to all tokens.

As for your edit, I caught that one. One I didnt' catch right off is that an upgrade piece can use a standard move to take out a lesser piece as if it weren't even there. Combat moves allow you to take out pieces equal or lower or empty spaces, standard moves are lower or empty.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

One thing about TK that I find crucial is that it is really important to be able to keep cards that have Legendary-killing abilities in your hand. There aren't many cards that have that ability.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

ConfusedUs posted:

Tash Kalar question.

This would make movement cards quite powerful, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if it's designed that way.

I can't seem to find much in the rules to support either, which makes me think card-only is right.

He was trying to justify cheating(or thinks what the pieces ought to do) because there is nothing in the rule books that even get close to that idea.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

thespaceinvader posted:

They seem interesting, but given that my group has basically stopped playing Dominion at this point (much to my chagrin) I'm not sure how much I actually care.

Maybe someday someone will make an Online version of Dominion and we can all be Dominion buds together. :glomp:

EBag
May 18, 2006

I know there's a few people here who've posted about Argent but I think it was mostly with multiple players. How is it with 2 players, and about how long would it take? One of the most common complaints I've heard about it is that it's really long.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Maybe someday someone will make an Online version of Dominion and we can all be Dominion buds together. :glomp:

The bigger question is what Dominion Online will do with its "Adventures" tutorial now that there's an expansion coming called Adventures.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sonatinas posted:

He was trying to justify cheating(or thinks what the pieces ought to do) because there is nothing in the rule books that even get close to that idea.

Eh, he'd only played a few games previously. No big deal, no malice involved, just a mistake.

I won anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, given how long it takes to get Hero and Champion, I assume they're going to be flat out amazing, because they take multiple deck cycles to obtain; the game should be going on over by the time you're playing a Hero.

Yeah, I understand your pain. I can never get the group to play Dominion. Whenever I suggest any card based game, they always want to play Magic instead. Now I LOVE magic, but I don't go to a board game night to play chaos multiplayer magic, I want to play some drat boardgames.