Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

He said that what you call food doesn't matter. I decided to illustrate this, with exactly as much intellectualism as his original statement had.

I think you are being deliberately disingenuous, there is a difference between inaccurate but commincative labeling and gibberish.

You are also not attacking the argument, but rather the way it is phrased, if you would like to attempt to attack the argument, please feel free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

So has anyone proposed a solution to cultural appropriation yet? Assuming it exists how can we use the law to protect bindis, lebkuchen, ska, etc from appropriation? Once we have established that appropriation has occurred, presumably there should be some kind mitigation to reduce the impact, especially considering how quickly cases of appropriation can spread, for example in the case of keffiyehs in 2006.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Let us English posted:

Had work to do, didn't have time for a full reply.

Kanji tattoos are dumb because they're tacky and look like poo poo. Most people who get them simply pull out a dictionary and find the first entry for "strength" or whatever, but it never translates right. I used to work at a summer camp where we'd go to the local pool. An ex-marine counselor from another camp would always bet there and you could see he had 兄弟 on his back. I assume he wanted it to say "brotherhood" but he just got the word "siblings" instead.

Congrats, you're upset about cultural appropriation. And yes, Kanji isn't a really big deal, just kind of dumb.

Also, cultural appropriation isn't something only done in the US, so saying poo poo is done in other countries isn't really significant or worth arguing about.

Squalid posted:

So has anyone proposed a solution to cultural appropriation yet?

Yeah I made a post that literally had a couple of problems and solutions in it.

quote:

Assuming it exists how can we use the law to protect bindis, lebkuchen, ska, etc from appropriation?

Don't use a law for that, that's dumb.

Edit: We did make a law that you can't trademark something that's denigrating, so that's one example of an actually efficacious law.

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 30, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I think you are being deliberately disingenuous, there is a difference between inaccurate but commincative labeling and gibberish.

You are also not attacking the argument, but rather the way it is phrased, if you would like to attempt to attack the argument, please feel free.

No, I'm attacking the argument you actually made:

OwlFancier posted:

It's pretty silly to be upset because you think someone doesn't have sufficiently refined taste in food. People can eat what they like and call it what they like, and so can you.

Maybe you wanted to make a different one, but unfortunately, you're stuck with a world in which watermelons are strawberries and strawberries are Gruyere cheese and Gruyere cheese is duck confit. Even limiting it to "inaccurate but commincative labeling" still leads us to the conclusion that a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich is a pizza, or at the very least a calzone.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

No, I'm attacking the argument you actually made:

Maybe you wanted to make a different one, but unfortunately, you're stuck with a world in which watermelons are strawberries and strawberries are Gruyere cheese and Gruyere cheese is duck confit. Even limiting it to "inaccurate but commincative labeling" still leads us to the conclusion that a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich is a pizza, or at the very least a calzone.

You know the difference, you're still being deliberately obtuse.

Calling a grilled cheese sandwich pizza isn't communicative, because nobody else in the world does that. Calling milk with flavored powder in it "milkshake" is communicative because people actually do that even if it isn't strictly accurate.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Obdicut posted:

Congrats, you're upset about cultural appropriation. And yes, Kanji isn't a really big deal, just kind of dumb.

Also, cultural appropriation isn't something only done in the US, so saying poo poo is done in other countries isn't really significant or worth arguing about.

I'm not upset, nor do I think this situation bears any resemblance to earlier examples of black musicians or native-themed sports teams. Trying to put all three situations under the same label seems ridiculous.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Some of the more extreme criticisms of cultural appropriation are really strange when applied to religion. Christianity is designed to be culturally appreciative of Jewish culture, communion is overtly a kind subversion of Passover. I've seen Catholics argue that Satanists shouldn't be allowed to publicly worship because they have a "mass" which appropriates the Catholic kind. Syncretism is pretty dominate in most religious traditions, Haitian Vodou for instance is a mix of Catholicism, African religions and indigenous American religions.

Not sure there is any religion which isn't culturally appropriative.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Let us English posted:

I'm not upset, nor do I think this situation bears any resemblance to earlier examples of black musicians or native-themed sports teams. Trying to put all three situations under the same label seems ridiculous.

Okay. You're not upset, you just think it's dumb. Luckily, my 'remedy' for the problem of cultural appropriation that is kanji tattoos is people expressing the opinion that said tattoos are dumb, so we're kind of good here, except what you're actually upset about is that I'm calling it cultural appropriation.

Like I said before, it's a tiny, trivial bit of cultural appropriation. You can also have tiny bits of racism, that aren't nearly as bad as serious racism. "Cultural appropriation" doesn't imply anything about scale, just as racism doesn't. Just like someone putting on a bit of a black accent and saying "Man" a lot nervously while talking to a black guy is racism, but is not as significant racism as was that black musicians weren't allowed to play for white audiences at major venues.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

You know the difference, you're still being deliberately obtuse.

Calling a grilled cheese sandwich pizza isn't communicative, because nobody else in the world does that. Calling milk with flavored powder in it "milkshake" is communicative because people actually do that even if it isn't strictly accurate.

You know, this whole thing comes down to "you shouldn't care!" and I'm giving your idea far more respect than it deserves by pretending you've put any actual thought in it. But in any case, people don't generally control their involuntary responses, such as to bastardizations of particular foods, and I have no inclination to try to suppress something so minor and inconsequential.

Barlow posted:

Some of the more extreme criticisms of cultural appropriation are really strange when applied to religion. Christianity is designed to be culturally appreciative of Jewish culture, communion is overtly a kind subversion of Passover. I've seen Catholics argue that Satanists shouldn't be allowed to publicly worship because they have a "mass" which appropriates the Catholic kind. Syncretism is pretty dominate in most religious traditions, Haitian Vodou for instance is a mix of Catholicism, African religions and indigenous American religions.

Not sure there is any religion which isn't culturally appropriative.

Calling syncretism appropriation? What the gently caress.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Yeah I made a post that literally had a couple of problems and solutions in it.

Don't use a law for that, that's dumb.

Edit: We did make a law that you can't trademark something that's denigrating, so that's one example of an actually efficacious law.

Okay I looked through your post history and we're supposed to wag our fingers and shake our heads disapprovingly at those drat teens and their saris. Sounds like an effective strategy.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Squalid posted:

Okay I looked through your post history and we're supposed to wag our fingers and shake our heads disapprovingly at those drat teens and their saris. Sounds like an effective strategy.

What would you suggest instead?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Why does this make you an insufferable rear end? I simply don't understand: if someone gets upset (like Obdicut's grandfather at Swedish Christmas cookies sold at stores), what is illegitimate about their being upset? Why are they wrong to be upset? Commodified food examples strike me as really clear-cut cases of appropriation, actually.

All you need to do to find a heated argument about food appropriation is to look at the fight over whether Hummus is a "middle-eastern" thing or an "Israeli" thing.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Obdicut posted:

I know what I would suggest, but it's horribly unethical.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Effectronica posted:

You know, this whole thing comes down to "you shouldn't care!" and I'm giving your idea far more respect than it deserves by pretending you've put any actual thought in it. But in any case, people don't generally control their involuntary responses, such as to bastardizations of particular foods, and I have no inclination to try to suppress something so minor and inconsequential.

If you aren't capable of voluntarily controlling your response to something as inoffensive as someone else's taste in food, that says more about you than it does the person doing the eating.

This extends across the vast majority of this subject. What meaning or lack thereof somebody assigns to your actions and beliefs, does not in any way affect your ability to assign meaning to them. Expecting everybody else to respect and share your idea of what is important just because you think it's important, is extremely juvenile. You can believe whatever you like by yourself, but when you expect other people to respect ideas that don't make any sense to them, that's frankly silly.

Unless you want to argue that cultural beliefs have inherent value simply because people believe them, there is no reason why anyone else should treat them as sacrosanct. You may elect to be respectful to a person, and very reasonably so, but that does not extend to their ideas, not simply because they have them. And if the person requires you to respect their ideas as well as them, that is a failing of the person.

We expect people to separate themselves from their ideas sufficiently that they do not perceive an attack on their ideas, as a personal attack. That is the basis of all debate. If someone can't do that, it is not generally considered necessary to pander to their inability to do so.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

If you aren't capable of voluntarily controlling your response to something as inoffensive as someone else's taste in food, that says more about you than it does the person doing the eating.

This extends across the vast majority of this subject. What meaning or lack thereof somebody assigns to your actions and beliefs, does not in any way affect your ability to assign meaning to them. Expecting everybody else to respect and share your idea of what is important just because you think it's important, is extremely juvenile. You can believe whatever you like by yourself, but when you expect other people to respect ideas that don't make any sense to them, that's frankly silly.

Unless you want to argue that cultural beliefs have inherent value simply because people believe them, there is no reason why anyone else should treat them as sacrosanct. You may elect to be respectful to a person, and very reasonably so, but that does not extend to their ideas, not simply because they have them. And if the person requires you to respect their ideas as well as them, that is a failing of the person.

We expect people to separate themselves from their ideas sufficiently that they do not perceive an attack on their ideas, as a personal attack. That is the basis of all debate. If someone can't do that, it is not generally considered necessary to pander to their inability to do so.

No, that's not what I said and your foundation upon it thus collapses. But all it amounted to was "I'm a huge prick and I don't care who knows it!" Good for you.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Obdicut posted:

Nothing. Cultural transmission is inevitable, out-of-control, and irreversible. Although we may be able to positively effect the incidence of "appropriation" vs "exchange," however one likes to define these terms, by dismantling race/culture based power structures. I have no interest in meaningless hand-wringing.

Effectronica posted:

Calling syncretism appropriation? What the gently caress.

Oh well, I guess I can sympathize. For example I recently saw this French Vanilla Nescafe instant coffee bullshit. As an American of French heritage, it really pissed me off Nestle was exploiting my culture with this garbage. How do they get away with this poo poo!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Squalid posted:

Nothing. Cultural transmission is inevitable, out-of-control, and irreversible.

Yeah, cultural appropriation is different, though. Getting Kanji tattoos is not cultural transmission, or if it is, then cultural appropriation is a subset of cultural transmission, with that whole 'appropriation' method of transmission.

quote:

Although we may be able to positively effect the incidence of "appropriation" vs "exchange," however one likes to define these terms, by dismantling race/culture based power structures. I have no interest in meaningless hand-wringing.

Okay, well don't do the 'hand-wringing' then. Glad you're on board with dismantling race/culture based power structures.

You on board with dismantling race/culture based power structures by not allowing denigrating names to be trademarked?

quote:

Oh well, I guess I can sympathize. For example I recently saw this French Vanilla Nescafe instant coffee bullshit. As an American of French heritage, it really pissed me off Nestle was exploiting my culture with this garbage. How do they get away with this poo poo!

It didn't actually piss you off, right?

Obdicut fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 30, 2015

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sure why not. I guess that's sometimes tangentially related to cultural appropriation.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Obdicut posted:

Like I said before, it's a tiny, trivial bit of cultural appropriation. You can also have tiny bits of racism, that aren't nearly as bad as serious racism. "Cultural appropriation" doesn't imply anything about scale, just as racism doesn't. Just like someone putting on a bit of a black accent and saying "Man" a lot nervously while talking to a black guy is racism, but is not as significant racism as was that black musicians weren't allowed to play for white audiences at major venues.
I'm going to bold this and hope people see it, because it's both right and nobody sane is acting like appropriation (especially the examples being given) is the end of the world. It's just one of the many ways minority groups get shat on. Sometimes you just get a tiny bit of poo poo on you, and maybe there's more poo poo coming from a different direction, but it's still poo poo. The examples can be of differing degrees of severity, but come on, all people are asking is that you see the phenomenon being identified.

Jarmak posted:

Yes, people who are purists for the sake of being purists are insufferable asses. If you make your BBQ on a gas grill I'm going to think you don't make very good BBQ, but if I got actually upset with you for tarnishing the name of good BBQ with your inferior creation then I'd be a grade A rear end in a top hat.

There is some exception to this for certain things of religious or sacrosanct nature, cinnamon rolls do not fall under this.
Nobody's talking about food purists, who are stupid. People are talking about taking parts of a culture (of which food is a significant part, no matter how much people might want to denigrate the minor umbrage/offense/upset that's caused by cases of appropriation! just because it's minor doesn't mean it should be dismissed...it's still a thing that happens, and rather than going "lol who gets upset about that other than assholes?" maybe we should think why it might bother people?) and turning it from something special to a commodity, or doing something to eliminate what it means to the culture. My making barbeque on the gas grill isn't appropriation because it's not taking some part of a culture and depriving it of its cultural cachet, or ignoring the context within which it exists and making it a commodity, or anything that involves taking the cultural product in question and repackaging it to ignore the fact that it is this culture's product.

Don't imagine yourself being put into these situations, imagine your grandparents being put into these situations. I find it baffling that even if you disagree that these are cases anyone should get upset about you can't find empathy with someone who might feel a little bothered by some of these things. These aren't caricatures; real people are bothered by these things, so why not at least try and understand why they might be bothered? People can and are bothered by these things, and maybe wondering why they'd be bothered, other than their being insufferable asses, is at least worth thinking about?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

I'm going to bold this and hope people see it, because it's both right and nobody sane is acting like appropriation (especially the examples being given) is the end of the world. It's just one of the many ways minority groups get shat on. Sometimes you just get a tiny bit of poo poo on you, and maybe there's more poo poo coming from a different direction, but it's still poo poo. The examples can be of differing degrees of severity, but come on, all people are asking is that you see the phenomenon being identified.
Nobody's talking about food purists, who are stupid. People are talking about taking parts of a culture (of which food is a significant part, no matter how much people might want to denigrate the minor umbrage/offense/upset that's caused by cases of appropriation! just because it's minor doesn't mean it should be dismissed...it's still a thing that happens, and rather than going "lol who gets upset about that other than assholes?" maybe we should think why it might bother people?) and turning it from something special to a commodity, or doing something to eliminate what it means to the culture. My making barbeque on the gas grill isn't appropriation because it's not taking some part of a culture and depriving it of its cultural cachet, or ignoring the context within which it exists and making it a commodity, or anything that involves taking the cultural product in question and repackaging it to ignore the fact that it is this culture's product.

Don't imagine yourself being put into these situations, imagine your grandparents being put into these situations. I find it baffling that even if you disagree that these are cases anyone should get upset about you can't find empathy with someone who might feel a little bothered by some of these things. These aren't caricatures; real people are bothered by these things, so why not at least try and understand why they might be bothered? People can and are bothered by these things, and maybe wondering why they'd be bothered, other than their being insufferable asses, is at least worth thinking about?

I live in a place where my culture is commodified and sold to people while they ignore the context and country from where it came. Have you seen what passes for Camembert or Olive Oil in Asian grocery stores? I was literally spit on the other day by a guy with American shoes on his feet and an American cigarette in his hand. I understand why people might be bothered by it, but I still think they're insufferable asses. There are actual problems with racism in this world and people who try to turn bland hummus made by white people into even a tiny racial issue need to rethink their priorities.

Let us English fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 30, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Let us English posted:

I live in a place where my culture is commodified and sold to people while the ignore the context and country from where it came. Have you seen what passes for Camembert or Olive Oil in Asian grocery stores? I was literally spit on the other day by a guy with American shoes on his feet and an American cigarette in his hand. I understand why people might be bothered by it, but I still think they're insufferable asses. There are actual problems with racism in this world and people who try to turn bland hummus made by white people into even a tiny racial issue need to rethink their priorities.

No we dont. People are allowed to prioritize different things or work on two things at the same time. If you don't get offended by something then that's fine but there are people out there with real grievances. Some black people don't mind when the n word is said. Others get upset. I don't think it's wrong for people to get upset when the word is used.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Good to see this thread has devolved into "how can you judge an involuntary mental reaction if you never act on it" and "You can't tell me what to think"

Actually it is, the fact that it has already been commodified to the point you don't even notice it being a valid example is kind of amusing in context.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010
The other day I saw american-style ketchup in the grocery store and, on behalf of my gringo SJW bretheren, I was offended. Thanks Cultural Appropriation thread.

Seriouspost: What culture isn't a hodge-podge of appropriated elements and made up traditions accumulated over the years? Like that's literally what culture is. Your hallowed tradition was someone else's appropriation, or just a lark from back in the day. Hell it might have been thoroughly commercial at its inception and thus, I guess, not authentic at all.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

The other day I saw american-style ketchup in the grocery store and, on behalf of my gringo SJW bretheren, I was offended.

Don't feel too bad, ketchup is an offense to everyone.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SedanChair posted:

Talking about supposed "appropriation" of European cultures is irrelevant because they are the ones doing the appropriating, ravenously, for all of history, unless we are talking about the Basques or something. :v:

Is that really a bad thing though? Would the world be better off if the west hadn't appropriated tea and chocolate and tobacco and all the rest?

Borrowing and imitating and sharing enriches human culture.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

hakimashou posted:

Is that really a bad thing though? Would the world be better off if the west hadn't appropriated tea and chocolate and tobacco and all the rest?

Borrowing and imitating and sharing enriches human culture.

I'm pretty sure he was trolling and or joking. If not he's woefully ignorant of history. Though I'm sure someone in this thread will be along to tell us why Chinese and Korean appropriation chili pepper is a great insult to somebody.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's always a pleasure to see people shifting their definitions right in front of your eyes.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Let us English posted:

I'm pretty sure he was trolling and or joking. If not he's woefully ignorant of history. Though I'm sure someone in this thread will be along to tell us why Chinese and Korean appropriation chili pepper is a great insult to somebody.

We should start a blog about cultural appropriation in China.

I bet these people don't know that the Chinese appropriated the term hamburger to refer to chicken sandwiches.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Next time i'm at a Mexican restaurant, i'm going to insist they put coriander on my taco instead of cilantro

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Next time i'm at a Mexican restaurant, i'm going to insist they put coriander on my taco instead of cilantro

You handle is deeply offensive to French people. Unless, of course, you are French. In that case, it demonstrates your racism against New York Jews. Either way, I win with my self-righteous posturing, and that's really all that matters.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TheImmigrant posted:

You handle is deeply offensive to French people. Unless, of course, you are French. In that case, it demonstrates your racism against New York Jews. Either way, I win with my self-righteous posturing, and that's really all that matters.

What if he's ethnically Jewish who's parents immigrated from France to New York?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

hakimashou posted:

We should start a blog about cultural appropriation in China.

I bet these people don't know that the Chinese appropriated the term hamburger to refer to chicken sandwiches.

See http://www.reddit.com/r/caucasianchinese for true stories of microaggressions faced by Caucasian-Chinese people in China (the reddit was made to troll the Asian American subreddits)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

on the left posted:

See http://www.reddit.com/r/caucasianchinese for true stories of microaggressions faced by Caucasian-Chinese people in China (the reddit was made to troll the Asian American subreddits)

I knew a Canadian born chinese girl in China who didn't let the locals know she could speak Chinese.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

This is beautiful. Mostly for the Chinese people calling them out on being racist white supremacists shits.

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax
lol d and d is full of fags

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

VitalSigns posted:

This is beautiful. Mostly for the Chinese people calling them out on being racist white supremacists shits.

How is it white supremacist to lampoon racism that the posters in that sub encounter every day? Even by the idiot's definition of racism (power+prejudice) it wouldn't count.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

How is it white supremacist to lampoon racism that the posters in that sub encounter every day? Even by the idiot's definition of racism (power+prejudice) it wouldn't count.

"Some Nazi shitbag" posted:

Take a look at the symptoms of Autism sometime, and you will learn american chinese but much more prevelant in our home country, chinar.
meaningless repetition of own words = duang
irritability = can't wait for 2 seconds in a line
involuntary imitation of someone else's movements = spitting, hacking, coughing, smoking 888 cigarettes
compulsive behavior = try to get them not to look at their phone every 2 seconds
screaming = self explanatory
stuttering, abnormal tone of voice, speech impairment, or speech loss = need I go on?
unaware of others' emotions
poor coordination, clumsiness, or tic
intense interest in a limited number of things or problem paying attention
lack of empathy
I have seen the light I think I have now found the real asian chinese problems with their racism.
my kids don't have this problem because they are caucasian chinese, but i am noticing more autistic traits the more time they spend with asian chinese. i notice some of these traits in myself, but i am one with china and will poo poo in whatever street i want to no matter the time/place etc.
is autism contagious? halp!

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 30, 2015

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

All that stuff is true though, albeit humorously exaggerated.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

on the left posted:

So you agree that literally all Chinese people living in China are autistic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

on the left posted:

okey-dokey

• Locked thread