Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

your traps are kinda small for a juicer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
Just got this notice yesterday. 'Giddy as a schoolgirl' would best describe my reaction.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dreggory posted:

Just got this notice yesterday. 'Giddy as a schoolgirl' would best describe my reaction.

You'll look fantastic in that swimsuit holding an umbrella.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You'll look fantastic in that swimsuit holding an umbrella.

It wasn't my first choice, but I can't complain about the work environment.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Nothing like going for a thirty minute ride just to clear your head, and ending up home five hours later cause "oh hey that looks fun" :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Just bought a bike. I pick it up Tuesday.
Weirdly I feel kind of underwhelmed about it and riding in general at the moment. Hopefully that goes away when I can actually ride it. I won't have it plated for another few weeks as I'm going away on vacation for a week or two next week.
If it doesn't I guess I can always sell it for more or less what I bought it for. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, went to a bar last night to watch my friends band play on his birthday. He plays old country and rockabilly.

The Mongols picked last night to raid that bar.

Yay SoCal.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
In Seattle for the week. And all my motorcycles are at home in the Midwest. :smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

iwentdoodie posted:

So, went to a bar last night to watch my friends band play on his birthday. He plays old country and rockabilly.

The Mongols picked last night to raid that bar.

Yay SoCal.

How does that even go down? Do they just round up all the women and ride off with them?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

How does that even go down? Do they just round up all the women and ride off with them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afnJbdT4t5g

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

In Seattle for the week. And all my motorcycles are at home in the Midwest. :smith:

Same, except San Diego, so all I see are bikes and good roads :negative:

At least it's raining there, so hopefully most of the salt will be gone

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
^rent one and let's go ride

Z3n posted:

More like they park outside, come in, and bully everyone off all the seats and out of the majority of the bar. Then they make it impossible to get drinks, and threaten anyone who isn't wearing a supporter shirt until they leave.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

^rent one and let's go ride

More like they park outside, come in, and bully everyone off all the seats and out of the majority of the bar. Then they make it impossible to get drinks, and threaten anyone who isn't wearing a supporter shirt until they leave.

I'm seriously thinking about it. If I didnt have to work from 8-5 I absolutely would.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Linedance posted:

Just bought a bike. I pick it up Tuesday.
Weirdly I feel kind of underwhelmed about it and riding in general at the moment. Hopefully that goes away when I can actually ride it. I won't have it plated for another few weeks as I'm going away on vacation for a week or two next week.
If it doesn't I guess I can always sell it for more or less what I bought it for. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

What sort of bike is it? That reaction might be normal.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm seriously thinking about it. If I didnt have to work from 8-5 I absolutely would.

How long are you gonna be down here?

Hit up some breweries :D

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What sort of bike is it? That reaction might be normal.

A '08 Kawi Versys.
No it' s OK, really, it's blue! A really nice blue... Motorbike.
Brand new pilot road 4s, Givi monokey sidebags included, worth a few bob, and paddock stands. And a new set of gore-tex a-stars gloves that were too small for the guy.
But seriously, the price was really good. Like, not bong smoking Ontario in springtime add $1k for every degree above 0 it is outside good.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Borrow the KTM for a day maybe.. But you have to ride it home.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup, totally normal.

Congrats.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I don't think the DRZ seat is necessarily that bad

Well, after spending yesterday and today exploring 260 miles worth of the twisties between SF and Santa Cruz I heartily retract this statement. gently caress this thing's seat - it's like sitting on a balance beam suspended by cement mixers.

I had a really good time on it but I'm glad I don't own it. I love the weight, the position of the controls, and the suspension but the vibes are unbearable to me after an hour, it's too squirrely over 60mph, my legs were kinda cramped and gently caress THAT SEAT FOR REALS.

I can always get a different seat but I can't see how I could quiet the vibes well enough for it to be a longterm option for me. I guess if you want something that still "feels" like a sumo but with a smooth motor and some touring ability you're down to the Hyperstrada, eh? Versys or FJ09 are a little bit of a stretch (but in the ballpark and don't weigh substantially more.)

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Ulysses would probably fit that bill too.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Well, after spending yesterday and today exploring 260 miles worth of the twisties between SF and Santa Cruz I heartily retract this statement. gently caress this thing's seat - it's like sitting on a balance beam suspended by cement mixers.

I had a really good time on it but I'm glad I don't own it. I love the weight, the position of the controls, and the suspension but the vibes are unbearable to me after an hour, it's too squirrely over 60mph, my legs were kinda cramped and gently caress THAT SEAT FOR REALS.

I can always get a different seat but I can't see how I could quiet the vibes well enough for it to be a longterm option for me. I guess if you want something that still "feels" like a sumo but with a smooth motor and some touring ability you're down to the Hyperstrada, eh? Versys or FJ09 are a little bit of a stretch (but in the ballpark and don't weigh substantially more.)

(aprilia) Pegaso factory, Dosoduro, (ktm) 690smr/c, Duke, (yamaha) xt660, mt03, and the aforementioned Ducati hyper options, and the new scrambler.
Pretty much all of which bar the Ducati in North America are either non existent or might as well be.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Ulysses would probably fit that bill too.

So I hear the early Ulysses like the 06 are to be avoided.

Outside Dawg fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 30, 2015

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

gently caress this thing's seat - it's like sitting on a balance beam suspended by cement mixers.

Shoulda gotten a KLR :getin:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

So I didn't manage to ride due to a flat, but I went out to a weird little motorcycle race in the woods. There were some great pics and some interesting vids as well.

Frankenbike making a jump...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1sNu_iDFJw

Someone's dad going vertical...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMHqCcdPqY

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Linedance posted:

A '08 Kawi Versys.
No it' s OK, really, it's blue! A really nice blue... Motorbike.
Brand new pilot road 4s, Givi monokey sidebags included, worth a few bob, and paddock stands. And a new set of gore-tex a-stars gloves that were too small for the guy.
But seriously, the price was really good. Like, not bong smoking Ontario in springtime add $1k for every degree above 0 it is outside good.

The Versys is a weird bike, in a lot of ways. I own one, so I know. First off, congrats on getting the first generation one, which is clearly the best one.

I'm curious as to whether your feelings on it are from a previous bike, or expectations about the versys itself?

If you haven't yet, rev it up, it doesn't necessarily give the impression in the low revs, but the versys motor loves to work in the latter half of the rev range.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 30, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

How long are you gonna be down here?

Hit up some breweries :D

Just this week, I may do that.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Borrow the KTM for a day maybe.. But you have to ride it home.

i will begrudgingly take your ktm home as a carry on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Outside Dawg posted:

FTFY.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Versys is a weird bike, in a lot of ways. I own one, so I know. First off, congrats on getting the first generation one, which is clearly the best one.

I'm curious as to whether your feelings on it are from a previous bike, or expectations about the versys itself?

If you haven't yet, rev it up, it doesn't necessarily give the impression in the low revs, but the versys motor loves to work in the latter half of the rev range.

Well, my last bike was a multistrada 1000 so...
... At least I think it looks good, right? :classiclol:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey, quite a few people here are from the Bay Area, right?

Hoping some people could give me a hand. Mrs. Slidebite and I are going to Reno for a few days in Mid June and seriously considering dropping over to SFO for 3, 4 days max since looks like its less than 4 hours away. We're driving, but would probably prefer to park the car at a hotel and transit where possible.

Is it possible to hit some good sights in 3-ish days for people that have never been? Tentatively Fri, Sat and Sun nights leaving Monday..maybe Tuesday to start making the trek north. I'm thinking Alcatraz, Fishermans Warf, Golden Gate Park... and not sure what else. Napa valley isn't a huge draw.

Whats a good part of town to stay in? Preferably one that isn't a nightmare to get to/out of? Should we even bother?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah there's plenty to see - phone posting now, but what sorta stuff do you guys like to do? Let me know more details or PM me :)

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

slidebite posted:

Hey, quite a few people here are from the Bay Area, right?

Hoping some people could give me a hand. Mrs. Slidebite and I are going to Reno for a few days in Mid June and seriously considering dropping over to SFO for 3, 4 days max since looks like its less than 4 hours away. We're driving, but would probably prefer to park the car at a hotel and transit where possible.

Is it possible to hit some good sights in 3-ish days for people that have never been? Tentatively Fri, Sat and Sun nights leaving Monday..maybe Tuesday to start making the trek north. I'm thinking Alcatraz, Fishermans Warf, Golden Gate Park... and not sure what else. Napa valley isn't a huge draw.

Whats a good part of town to stay in? Preferably one that isn't a nightmare to get to/out of? Should we even bother?

I made these furkot trips for some other folks heading to teh bay area, to give a good idea of some roads to take:

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/Rpe1Ix

https://trips.furkot.com/ts/vYKSfB

PM me your email address and I can share them with you for more detail.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Outside Dawg posted:

I'd avoid the 07s but aim to pay less for an 06. The 08+ have a lot of worthwhile improvements though.

The EBR ECM is a must for whatever year.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

I'd avoid the 07s but aim to pay less for an 06. The 08+ have a lot of worthwhile improvements though.

The EBR ECM is a must for whatever year.

Is the ECM just an improvement for the Ulysses, or is it a marked improvement for the other bikes in the line as well? I reflashed the race map onto my lightning, and it cleared up a lot of the problems i was having.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's an improvement for any model, the XB12 ECM works for any XB12. They come in like 9 different flavors, mapped for each popular exhaust. If you got the race maps on there and they work well (this is how my 06 was when I sold it, with the addition of some data-logging adjustments), you got about half the improvement you get with the EBR ECM. The other half is the updated fan logic.

My 08's factory fan strategy is to let the bike get warm enough to need it, then it comes on, on high, until it the bike cools off enough (which is never so the fan just stays on once it's on). The updated strategy runs the fan on high speed when you cross 15mph accelerating (fast enough for wind, engine, and road noise to pretty much drown out the fan) and leaves it on as you ride until you cross 15mph decelerating. At which point one of two things happen:
- if the rear cyl is cool enough the fan switches off until it bakes enough to need a little flow, then the fan comes on low speed
- if the rear cyl is warm enough, the fan switches to low speed

It will also shut off completely when I switch it off. No more fan running for 10 minutes and "your bike's on" at gas stations. Since I got it I've done a lot of riding in traffic and it hasn't warmed up my leg even once. Factory program gets pretty dang warm pretty dang quick on my right thigh.

Some other minor things it does: lets the ECM happily ignore side stand switches (where equipped, I don't think mine is) and will not throw O2 or active exhaust codes.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

nitrogen posted:

I made these furkot trips for some other folks heading to teh bay area, to give a good idea of some roads to take:

Stage Rd north of Pescadero, Pescadero Creek Rd, and 9 / 236 around Big Basin aren't to be missed either. Just did them this weekend and it was incredible.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Stage Rd north of Pescadero

Just make sure your suspension is good before hitting Stage Rd cause holy poo poo I've never had my teeth rattled as hard as that road did.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any northwest folks run the Grande Ronde River canyon in NE Oregon? This might be on my list for a weekend getaway this summer.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.97406,-117.2718431,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s4958854!2e1!3e10

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the replies so far, but just to be clear I'm not talking about a biking, just general touristy stuff in the bay area that dirty foriegners might want to do. Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, union square, etc.

Is 3 full days enough to get a good grasp or should I just go some time in the future when I have say, 5-6 days?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

slidebite posted:

Thanks for the replies so far, but just to be clear I'm not talking about a biking, just general touristy stuff in the bay area that dirty foriegners might want to do. Alcatraz, Fishermans Wharf, union square, etc.

Is 3 full days enough to get a good grasp or should I just go some time in the future when I have say, 5-6 days?

3 days is a good amount of time to spend, but it depends , depending on how deep you want to get into the touristy stuff, because there's a pile of museums, beautiful places to go, Muir woods, Big Sur, Monterrey, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Put it to you this way, Mrs. Slidebite couldn't care less if we go but since we're only a few hours away by car I'm curious to check it out... even if we go just to get a feeling that we might want to come back and spend more time in the future, probably via flying. I don't think we would be able to get too deep into the touristy stuff just because of time constraints.

I would like to see Alcatraz (a whole day I assume?) but other than that, I'm pretty open but I don't think we'd leave the metro area itself to go up/down the coast unless it's an absolute must-do. Napa valley does not have a real appeal to me since I've done wine tours etc for 10+ years. By the reply of 3 days is a good amount, but not enough to get too deep, I assume that means 3 days isn't a waste of a visit though, in your opinion?

Is everything pretty easy to get to? What would be a good area to look for hotels for strictly tourists with a car to park for a few days? What's the traffic like? I lived in Vancouver BC for many years and have driven I5 through Orange/LA during rush hour. I don't like it, but I can do it.

I have had a few friends who went and basically the recommendation is don't bother with a car and just take transit. C/D?

Tentatively, we would arrive on a Friday afternoon (departing Reno 9-10 AM I suspect), all of Sat and Sun and head back Monday. I need to be back in Southern Alberta by late that week, and it's a 2 day drive (3 is more leisurely).