Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liberal_L33t posted:

Yeah, just like in the United States. When the civil rights movement suffered early setbacks, black leaders should have encouraged their followers to commit to an extremist ideology, call for the destruction of the country oppressing them, and commit terrorist acts of violence against the majority population! That would have REALLY loving helped bring about justice for the African American population sooner, and it definitely wouldn't have resulted in a lot of retaliatory violence!

They dealt with MLK because they knew if they didn't they would be dealing with Malcom X. What you are describing is literally what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Liberal_L33t posted:

Yeah, just like in the United States. When the civil rights movement suffered early setbacks, black leaders should have encouraged their followers to commit to an extremist ideology, call for the destruction of the country oppressing them, and commit terrorist acts of violence against the majority population! That would have REALLY loving helped bring about justice for the African American population sooner, and it definitely wouldn't have resulted in a lot of retaliatory violence!

You don't know the first thing about the civil rights movement.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Yeah let's go ahead and compare a colonial conquest with an intra-state struggle for rights, as a total moron I see no discrepancy that would sink the comparison.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Heavy neutrino posted:

Yeah let's go ahead and compare a colonial conquest with an intra-state struggle for rights, as a total moron I see no discrepancy that would sink the comparison.

Considering how black communities had to form militia's and groups to defend themselves against collective punishment I don't really see that huge of a difference.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Academy nominated motion picture "Selma" taught me how MLK used his non-violence to force LBJ to sign the justice law making blacks and whites forever equal.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

So why are Americans, Russians, French, Ethiopians, and now even Indians entitled to being Israeli? Why is it that they are entitled to free immigration, but Palestinians are not?

They're not. Only Jews with an entitlement to Israel are the ones born there, and the ones who live there now.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 30, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

They're not. Only Jews with an entitlement to Israel are the ones born there, and the ones who live there now.

Are you going to start interfering with Israel's immigration policy? I think having the choice of how much of a discriminatory rear end in a top hat you can be about who you let become a citizen of your country is one of the foundational privileges that a state has.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So any future Palestinian state should have a full right of return for any Palestinian refugees abroad, right? Although I suppose one of the more contentious points would be Palestinians wanting to return to land within what are now Israel's de jure border, but I'm pretty sure general resistance to Palestinians being in control of their own borders and immigration goes hand-in-hand with Israeli demands that a future Palestinian state be demilitarized.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

So any future Palestinian state should have a full right of return for any Palestinian refugees abroad, right? Although I suppose one of the more contentious points would be Palestinians wanting to return to land within what are now Israel's de jure border, but I'm pretty sure general resistance to Palestinians being in control of their own borders and immigration goes hand-in-hand with Israeli demands that a future Palestinian state be demilitarized.

I'm not sure what you're saying. I don't think that those Israelis who have expressed support for the establishment of a State of Palestine have ever expressed concerns about Palestinians being allowed to immigrate there, but instead into the State of Israel within whatever borders it ends up with. The Right of Return, at least as expressed by most of those who demand it, seems to talk about the victims of the Nakba and the right of them and their descendents to return to their ancestral lands, many of which are inside the Green Line, so would be inside the State of Israel even if the 1967 borders were agreed to.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you going to start interfering with Israel's immigration policy? I think having the choice of how much of a discriminatory rear end in a top hat you can be about who you let become a citizen of your country is one of the foundational privileges that a state has.

Depends who you ask, I suppose. Not really talking about the legal perspective though.

Dolash posted:

I would imagine so, though not sure how feasible it would be in the end, as it would double the population overnight and they wouldn't bring a lot of assets themselves. I don't think if we actually get to that point that Israel would care, it's not like being outnumbered by Arabs on their borders is anything new to them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Miltank posted:

Academy nominated motion picture "Selma" taught me how MLK used his non-violence to force LBJ to sign the justice law making blacks and whites forever equal.

There's a scene in Selma where Malcolm X talks about how his followers are important too and then he never appears in the movie again so I guess they weren't important after all. Also in real life there's evidence LBJ collaborated with MLK on planning things but that also doesn't fit the narrative either does it

gently caress Selma

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
About all the non-violence and Civil Rights, didn't the Federal Government have to deploy soldiers just to keep the Southerners from lynching schoolchildren and stuff like that? Multiple times?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DarkCrawler posted:

About all the non-violence and Civil Rights, didn't the Federal Government have to deploy soldiers just to keep the Southerners from lynching schoolchildren and stuff like that? Multiple times?

Yeah, I keep wondering who is going to send their 101st Airborne to integrate Greater Palestine.

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

They're Palestinians culturally, just like many of the Jews are that by culture/tradition. That doesn't stop them from being from whatever country they and the vast majority of their families were born in nor entitles them to the former property of their ancestors in a different country. It entitles them to full rights in the country they have lived their whole lives in.

This is not right. Jus soli and jus sanguinis are how citizenship is passed down in most cases(all cases?). If the Palestinians ascribe to the concept of jus sanguinis, then it legitimizes their claims as the rightful inhabitants of that land. American or British ideals of citizenship are not universal or even widespread. Germany only began offering citizenship to peoples born there in 1991, and even then they prohibited dual citizenship. You can be a Palestinian who was born in Jordan, just like you can be a German who was born in Mexico.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

CSM posted:

No, we were talking about a two-state solution. You're just throwing up arbitrary and unacceptable concessions for the Palestinians they have to make before even any negotiations have started, so you can blame them for not wanting a two state solution.

All because you didn't take the time to actually Google Hamas's positions.

Arbitrary? I'm going by the standard of the international community. I loving know Hamas's positions. They support a temporary, 10-year ceasefire and flooding Israel with refugees. I said that from the loving start before you fired up Google because I already knew what their position was.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Panas posted:

This is not right. Jus soli and jus sanguinis are how citizenship is passed down in most cases(all cases?). If the Palestinians ascribe to the concept of jus sanguinis, then it legitimizes their claims as the rightful inhabitants of that land. American or British ideals of citizenship are not universal or even widespread. Germany only began offering citizenship to peoples born there in 1991, and even then they prohibited dual citizenship. You can be a Palestinian who was born in Jordan, just like you can be a German who was born in Mexico.

If we're talking about the State of Palestine, sure. 1967 lines are however not recognized as state of Palestine by anyone nor claimed by the State of Palestinian as land of that territory. The Palestinian diaspora - at least six million people - are descended from all those people who lived in what is recognized as Israel by most countries. The 50,000 OG refugees weren't born in Israel, though, but Mandatory Palestine.

So here is the issue - obviously in a two state situation you could give a citizenship to 50,000 Arabs and hide them away into some Negev shithole, Israelis will probably bite similar bullets if they are forced to come to the table when a two state solution is still feasible. But the six million children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren cannot possibly become part of the Jewish state that Israelis wouldn't give up on.

This leaves only the State of Palestine - a disconnected poverty-ridden third world level patch of land in two pieces, one piece which is a bombed out ghetto that makes a Negev shithole look like a paradise. Absorbing 10 million people (let's face it, it's going to take like three decades at best) will be a challenge even if Palestine won't by then have 9 million of its own.
http://populationpyramid.net/state-of-palestine/2050/

In a place scarcely larger then Connecticut, only about ten times more poor?

Similarily a hypothetical single state will just be able to about to maintain demographic semi-parity with strict immigration quotas for both sides. It’s not going to work with Arabs having double of the population.

In both cases, the logical option is to give the Palestinian refugees citizenship in the countries they have always been in and absorb them into the general population like Jordan, which due to all the wars all its neighbors constantly have is pretty much an Arabic Singapore by now. Ultimately everyone will benefit. Jordan is doing pretty well compared to the other countries in the region.

Of course Lebanon (where most of the refugees without citizenship reside, I think) is the evil Arabic Singapore twin so I’m not holding my breath any time soon.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DarkCrawler posted:

All Jews are entitled to Israel. That is why Israel exists, to be the Jewish homeland so that never again means never, ever again.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

My Imaginary GF posted:

All Jews are entitled to Israel. That is why Israel exists, to be the Jewish homeland so that never again means never, ever again.

Yes, that makes sense for Jewish supremacists, its not any more relevant to the rest of us then the cries of White South Africans in 1990 :shrug:

If Israel truly wanted to secure a Jewish state it would cut the settlements loose and close the gates to all of West Bank, but sadly they value colonialism more.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Why the ones who live there now, and not the ones who might live there tomorrow? Does that mean somebody whose family has lived in Russian territory for a dozen generations until they immigrated to Israel yesterday has an entitlement to live in Israel, but somebody whose family has lived in Russian territory for a dozen generations until they try to immigrate to Israel tomorrow has no claim at all there? That makes no sense.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Main Paineframe posted:

Why the ones who live there now, and not the ones who might live there tomorrow? Does that mean somebody whose family has lived in Russian territory for a dozen generations until they immigrated to Israel yesterday has an entitlement to live in Israel, but somebody whose family has lived in Russian territory for a dozen generations until they try to immigrate to Israel tomorrow has no claim at all there? That makes no sense.

Because you need to cut it off somewhere, and population transfers aren't going to work out?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

Because you need to cut it off somewhere, and population transfers aren't going to work out?

They seem to have worked out just fine in '48! And in the decades since!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

They seem to have worked out just fine in '48! And in the decades since!

With a lot of violence and expropriations. For most of which those upon which you with the same were not responsible.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Arbitrary? I'm going by the standard of the international community. I loving know Hamas's positions. They support a temporary, 10-year ceasefire and flooding Israel with refugees. I said that from the loving start before you fired up Google because I already knew what their position was.

loving refugees of Israeli ethnic cleansing wanting to return to their ancestral homes!!!!!! :argh:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

icantfindaname posted:

loving refugees of Israeli ethnic cleansing wanting to return to their ancestral homes!!!!!! :argh:

loving refugees of arab ethnic cleansing making a new home!!!! :argh:

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

Heavy neutrino posted:

I'd say that the greater insult is comparing Malcom X and his followers, whatever their faults, to suicide-bombing death-fetishists like HAMAS.

I would ask if this thread thinks that Indian independence would never have happened without notorious Hitler-admirer Subhas Chandra Bose, either. But then I realize at least a plurality of D&D probably does think that :cripes:

Just so we're absolutely clear, here: those of you who arguing that Palestinians have good reasons to reject non-violence: Are you in favor of suicide bombing of civilian targets? Are you in favor of indiscriminate rocket and mortar fire into civilian neighborhoods? Don't change the subject to what Israelis have done. Are you in favor of these tactics, yes or no?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Liberal_L33t posted:

I would ask if this thread thinks that Indian independence would never have happened without notorious Hitler-admirer Subhas Chandra Bose, either. But then I realize at least a plurality of D&D probably does think that :cripes:

So do you think Lehi had a net positive impact on the world?

Liberal_L33t posted:

Just so we're absolutely clear, here: those of you who arguing that Palestinians have good reasons to reject non-violence: Are you in favor of suicide bombing of civilian targets? Are you in favor of indiscriminate rocket and mortar fire into civilian neighborhoods? Don't change the subject to what Israelis have done. Are you in favor of these tactics, yes or no?

If the subject is murder of civilians and terrorism, then it's not changing the subject if Israel regularly does these things, is it? I'm opposed to these things, unfortunately the party with the power to stop them from happening, Israel, isn't interested in doing that

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 31, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Liberal_L33t posted:

I'd say that the greater insult is comparing Malcom X and his followers, whatever their faults, to suicide-bombing death-fetishists like HAMAS.

If it stops the occupation and Siege of Gaza I don't give a poo poo if Hamas has a full artillery battalion of Katyusha rocket launchers working around the clock.

How dare the Palestinian people retaliate, they should just sit down and calmly accept death at Israel's artillery and jets.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug

Liberal_L33t posted:

I feel a lot less confident about harshly judging an oppressed people's desperate attempts to strike back than I do about harshly judging their oppressors, who are being substantially supported by my government. In the same situation as many Palestinians, I can't say I wouldn't also want to make somebody hurt. But no, I also think they'd be on firmer ground, morally speaking, if they made conspicuous efforts to avoid civilian casualties.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I wonder what Malcom X thought about Palestine?

http://www.malcolm-x.org/docs/gen_zion.htm

quote:

Taken from The Egyptian Gazette -- Sept. 17, 1964

The Zionist armies that now occupy Palestine claim their ancient Jewish prophets predicted that in the "last days of this world" their own God would raise them up a "messiah" who would lead them to their promised land, and they would set up their own "divine" government in this newly-gained land, this "divine" government would enable them to "rule all other nations with a rod of iron."

If the Israeli Zionists believe their present occupation of Arab Palestine is the fulfillment of predictions made by their Jewish prophets, then they also religiously believe that Israel must fulfill its "divine" mission to rule all other nations with a rod of irons, which only means a different form of iron-like rule, more firmly entrenched even, than that of the former European Colonial Powers.

These Israeli Zionists religiously believe their Jewish God has chosen them to replace the outdated European colonialism with a new form of colonialism, so well disguised that it will enable them to deceive the African masses into submitting willingly to their "divine" authority and guidance, without the African masses being aware that they are still colonized.

CAMOUFLAGE

The Israeli Zionists are convinced they have successfully camouflaged their new kind of colonialism. Their colonialism appears to be more "benevolent," more "philanthropic," a system with which they rule simply by getting their potential victims to accept their friendly offers of economic "aid," and other tempting gifts, that they dangle in front of the newly-independent African nations, whose economies are experiencing great difficulties. During the 19th century, when the masses here in Africa were largely illiterate it was easy for European imperialists to rule them with "force and fear," but in this present era of enlightenment the African masses are awakening, and it is impossible to hold them in check now with the antiquated methods of the 19th century.

The imperialists, therefore, have been compelled to devise new methods. Since they can no longer force or frighten the masses into submission, they must devise modern methods that will enable them to manouevre the African masses into willing submission.

The modern 20th century weapon of neo-imperialism is "dollarism." The Zionists have mastered the science of dollarism: the ability to come posing as a friend and benefactor, bearing gifts and all other forms of economic aid and offers of technical assistance. Thus, the power and influence of Zionist Israel in many of the newly "independent" African nations has fast-become even more unshakeable than that of the 18th century European colonialists... and this new kind of Zionist colonialism differs only in form and method, but never in motive or objective.

At the close of the 19th century when European imperialists wisely foresaw that the awakening masses of Africa would not submit to their old method of ruling through force and fears, these ever-scheming imperialists had to create a "new weapon," and to find a "new base" for that weapon.

DOLLARISM

The number one weapon of 20th century imperialism is zionist dollarism, and one of the main bases for this weapon is Zionist Israel. The ever-scheming European imperialists wisely placed Israel where she could geographically divide the Arab world, infiltrate and sow the seed of dissension among African leaders and also divide the Africans against the Asians.

Zionist Israel's occupation of Arab Palestine has forced the Arab world to waste billions of precious dollars on armaments, making it impossible for these newly independent Arab nations to concentrate on strengthening the economies of their countries and elevate the living standard of their people.

And the continued low standard of living in the Arab world has been skillfully used by the Zionist propagandists to make it appear to the Africans that the Arab leaders are not intellectually or technically qualified to lift the living standard of their people ... thus, indirectly "enducing" Africans to turn away from the Arabs and towards the Israelis for teachers and technical assistance.

"They cripple the bird's wing, and then condemn it for not flying as fast as they."

The imperialists always make themselves look good, but it is only because they are competing against economically crippled newly independent countries whose economies are actually crippled by the Zionist-capitalist conspiracy. They can't stand against fair competition, thus they dread Gamal Abdul Nasser's call for African-Arab Unity under Socialism.

MESSIAH?

If the "religious" claim of the Zionists is true that they were to be led to the promised land by their messiah, and Israel's present occupation of Arab Palestine is the fulfillment of that prophesy: where is their messiah whom their prophets said would get the credit for leading them there? It was Ralph Bunche who "negotiated" the Zionists into possession of Occupied Palestine! Is Ralph Bunche the messiah of Zionism? If Ralph Bunche is not their messiah, and their messsiah has not yet come, then what are they doing in Palestine ahead of their messiah?

Did the Zionists have the legal or moral right to invade Arab Palestine, uproot its Arab citizens from their homes and seize all Arab property for themselves just based on the "religious" claim that their forefathers lived there thousands of years ago? Only a thousand years ago the Moors lived in Spain. Would this give the Moors of today the legal and moral right to invade the Iberian Peninsula, drive out its Spanish citizens, and then set up a new Moroccan nation ... where Spain used to be, as the European zionists have done to our Arab brothers and sisters in Palestine?...

In short the Zionist argument to justify Israel's present occupation of Arab Palestine has no intelligent or legal basis in history ... not even in their own religion. Where is their Messiah?

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

My Imaginary GF posted:

loving refugees of roman ethnic cleansing making a new home!!!! :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I think the solution is to have Britain conquer an African micro-nation and unilaterally declare that to be the Palestinian homeland despite all evidence to the contrary and even though none of them have ever been there and then they should kill a bunch of Africans for no reason, and then move all the Palestinians there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

icantfindaname posted:

I wonder what Malcom X thought about Palestine?

http://www.malcolm-x.org/docs/gen_zion.htm

Are people surprised that the Nation of Islam is antisemitic and rife with the appropriately adapted conspiracy theories? I thought this was well-known.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

I think the solution is to have Britain conquer an African micro-nation and unilaterally declare that to be the Palestinian homeland despite all evidence to the contrary and even though none of them have ever been there and then they should kill a bunch of Africans for no reason, and then move all the Palestinians there.

That would be really dumb. Good thing it has nothing to do with the I/P conflict. :haw:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Liberal_L33t posted:

Yeah, it's just stupid to compare fine, upstanding folks like Hamas to a guy who thought white people were the literal devil, hoped for their extermination and cheered their deaths, and referred to MLK as a "chump".

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are people surprised that the Nation of Islam is antisemitic and rife with the appropriately adapted conspiracy theories? I thought this was well-known.

How about Nelson Mandela? "We identify with the PLO, because just like ourselves they are fighting for the right of self determination".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm just saying using Malcom X of all people to concern troll about Hamas is hilarious, considering the guy

Main Paineframe posted:

thought white people were the literal devil, hoped for their extermination and cheered their deaths, and referred to MLK as a "chump".

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Let's see what the famous man of peace and reconciliation, a Nobel Peace Prize winner who ended apartheid in his own country, Nelson Mandela, thought of the I/P thing?

http://web.archive.org/web/20051215224658/http://www.jsonline.com/news/intl/ap/oct99/ap-palestinians-ma102099.asp

quote:

Mandela Speaks to Palestinians
Associated Press
Last Updated: Oct. 20, 1999 at 2:50:01 p.m.

SHATI REFUGEE CAMP, Gaza Strip - Violence becomes an option when peace talks break down, Nelson Mandela told the Palestinians on Wednesday, eliciting thunderous applause from a people drinking up the moral support of an icon for freedom.

The warning from the former South African president was an afterthought to a speech otherwise strongly supportive of the peace the Palestinians are pursuing with Israel.

``Our men and women with vision choose peace rather than confrontation, except in cases where we cannot get, where we cannot proceed, where we cannot move forward,'' he told the Palestinian Legislative Assembly, addressing its members as ``brothers.''

``Then, if the only alternative is violence, we will use violence.'
' That earned two thunderous minutes of rhythmic applause.

The Palestinians, eager to press Israel to accelerate the peace process, seized on the speech to reinforce demands for a full Israeli withdrawal from the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

``No doubt, Mandela's speech has great meaning,'' said Kadoura Fares, a member of Yasser Arafat's Fatah faction. ``This man has worked all his life for peace (but) this cannot be achieved if Israel does not implement agreements fully and honestly.''

Mandela called for an Israeli withdrawal from all Arab lands and the establishment of an international commission to supervise the peace process. Israel captured the West Bank and Gaza during the 1967 Middle East War.

His affection for the Palestinians was clear - each reference to Arafat was preceded by ``my old friend'' - but Mandela also expressed sympathy for the Israeli view.

``I understand why they occupied territory during the (1967) war and after the war,'' he said, and urged all Arabs to grant Israel ``firm and unequivocal'' recognition of a right to exist within secure borders.

Arafat has recognized Israel, but some Palestinians want a final status agreement to include the right of Palestinians to return to all parts of the land, including Israel's pre-1967 borders.

Mandela led the African National Congress from a prison cell for 27 years before leading South Africa's transition from apartheid to democracy and becoming president. He retired in June.

Concluding his Mideast tour with a hero's welcome in Gaza, he repeatedly invoked the similarity between the struggle of Palestinians and nonwhites in South Africa.

``The histories of our two peoples, Palestinian and South African, correspond in such painful and poignant ways, that I intensely feel myself being at home amongst compatriots,'' he said.

Mandela recalled a time when both movements were treated as pariahs by the international community - a period that saw the forging of close bonds between the Palestinians and the ANC.

``The long-standing fraternal bonds between our two liberation movements are now translating into the relations between two governments,'' Mandela said.

It was an admiration readily reciprocated when Mandela toured a refugee camp that he said reminded him of conditions at home.

Posters bearing Mandela's image dotted walls, and banners read ``Our dreams will come true through your support.''

The pupils at the Shati refugee girls' school waited in the sandlot that functions as their yard, hoisting Palestinian and South African flags.

When Mandela arrived, the girls burst into cheers and lined up to shake his hand, bewildering him with blessings in Arabic.

Crammed two to a desk in a classroom, they sang in English, ``Good morning, we are happy to see you.''

Mandela, charmed, responded by asking, ``Can I sing you a song?'' The class shouted ``Yes!'' and listened attentively as he croaked out a barely recognizable ``Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.''

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

Under this same logic, Mizrahim are justified in their fervent desire for revenge against Arabs.

You can either go with two standards. We right every historic wrong, or we go with what's workable today. The first is insane because of facts like Arabs ethnically cleansing Jews from Hebron, never mind the entire Middle East post-1948. How do we treat Arab immigrants from the pre-1948 era? Do we go back to the crusades and even to when Joshua slaughtered the Jebusites, righting injustices? No, because it's loving stupid, and to be fair you'd have to do an infinite regress that would never end.

That is why the UN demands that Israel cede land like Hebron, Gilo, Har Homa, E1, etc... that they might legitimately have some legal claim to. That's why any realistic peace deal is not straight up 1967 borders, but rather involve some land swaps. E.g. http://www.pij.org/details.php?id=32

quote:

Though the negotiations about land to remain part of Israel involved several areas, the process concerning Ma’ale Adumim illustrates some of the difficulties in pinning down where the parties were when the negotiation ended. Ma’ale Adumim is a large Israeli settlement (25,000 people) east of Jerusalem, blocking much north-south traffic for the new state of Palestine. The Palestinians were extremely fearful that the future Palestinian state would be divided by Israeli lands and roads, leaving it without a coherent land mass. Ma’ale Adumim raised this specter. At one point, the Palestinians agreed that Ma’ale Adumim would be annexed to Israel as part of the overall percentage. Israel argued for more area around the settlement, and connection to other settlements, and the Palestinians then rescinded their agreement. “Unofficially,” however, the Palestinians acknowledged that Ma’ale Adumim could be part of the annexation if the parties could work out the scope of the surrounding area. Thus, when the negotiation ended, the official Palestinian position refused Israeli annexation of Ma’ale Adumim, but, unofficially, negotiators on both sides saw the trade that would have reversed that position (access roads for the Palestinians and limited growth space for Ma’ale Adumim).

quote:

The hottest question concerning refugees was whether the Palestinians would be entitled to a right of return to the homes they came from in Israel. Though there is much debate on whether the parties did come to agreement on this, the evidence is pretty clear. The interviews, the uncontested account of the meeting that preceded the Saturday press conference, and the written record, or its absence, all point to agreement. There was a widespread unwillingness at Taba to commit agreements or even positions to writing, but this was not the case for the negotiators about refugees. They engaged in marathon drafting sessions, conducted sometimes by one side, sometimes jointly. But since Taba these documents have been assiduously kept hidden. Though there have been references to them, including a draft of one Israeli document in Le Monde6, as recently as July, 2002, Taba negotiators were making reference to Palestinian documents which would not be made public7. As with the maps, the only reasonable inference from this secrecy is that concessions were made for which the parties would now prefer not to accept responsibility. The only issue that could generate this much heat would be a Palestinian concession on the right of return. By one account, the Palestinians agreed to waive this right in return for an Israeli statement accepting at least partial responsibility for the departure of the Palestinians in 1948.

On the question of how many Palestinians might be allowed to return to Israel, the Israelis proposed in writing 25,000, and orally 40,000. The Palestinians were quoted as having said “not less than six figures.”

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

How about Nelson Mandela? "We identify with the PLO, because just like ourselves they are fighting for the right of self determination".

I'm just saying quoting rabid antisemitism favorably is kind of a bad idea in an I/P thread. :shrug:

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
It was also written in 1964.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Kim Jong Il posted:

It was also written in 1964.

It took the Six Day War for many people (especially in the Arab world) to really accept the armistice lines as a fait accompli.

• Locked thread