Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Maybe Adam Scott and Joel McHale can guest-star as Beetle and Booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Maybe Adam Scott and Joel McHale can guest-star as Beetle and Booster.

You bastard that sounds amazing.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: Devin Faraci says he's "hearing very bad buzz on Daredevil." Granted, he's been pretty negative on the show and the rest of the Defenders project for a while, so we'll have to wait until the reviews hit (later this week, I think) to see how much of this is confirmation bias and how much is an accurate summary of critical opinion.

So is there some backstory to why Faraci is to be taken with a grain of salt? Does he have an ax to grind with Daredevil producers or Marvel?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bunnyofdoom posted:

You bastard that sounds amazing.

And I think Sam Neill is at the perfect point in his career to play the big bad, Maxwell Lord.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hollismason posted:

They should put the guys who produce Arrow in charge of Movies producing because the people they got have their heads up their asses.

They tried that first. It failed. Spectacularly.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

notthegoatseguy posted:

So is there some backstory to why Faraci is to be taken with a grain of salt? Does he have an ax to grind with Daredevil producers or Marvel?

I think the questing is why to trust him. It's a pretty unsubstantiated remark

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Faraci is a solid source of news, sometimes. When he goes into critic or editorial mode he is incredibly hit or miss, like most critics.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Deadpool posted:

They tried that first. It failed. Spectacularly.

I'm going to assume Berlanti was hamstrung by WB execs when it came to Green Lantern and that he did not have the kind of control over that film that say, a Whedon or Feig has at Marvel.

Edit: One of the GL writers was from Smallville... And the Flash movie has almost all of the GL writers working on it according to imdb...

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 31, 2015

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Maybe Adam Scott and Ryan Starr can guest-star as Beetle and Booster.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I'm assuming you mean Ryan Hansen and not their Party Down co-star Martin Starr? Because that could also work.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

I'm assuming you mean Ryan Hansen and not their Party Down co-star Martin Starr? Because that could also work.

Actually I meant Adam as Booster and Martin as Beetle. I just hosed that post up a lot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Actually I meant Adam as Booster and Martin as Beetle. I just hosed that post up a lot.

Heh, now I'm envisioning Ryan Hansen as an even better Booster than Joel McHale, but Adam Scott is still my choice for Ted.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hollismason posted:

They should put the guys who produce Arrow in charge of Movies producing because the people they got have their heads up their asses.

I dunno, movie storylines tend to move faster than TV, I'm not sure I can handle Oliver learning the same life lesson (Honesty is good!) over and over again on a 15 minute cycle. At least on the hourly cycle with a weekly break I can vaguely forget that at the end of last episode he promised to be honest this time.

What I'm saying here is that I enjoy Arrow because it's super hero TV and I'm a man child. The writing is loving horrid though and any mainstream movie involving that level of writing would be "I AM FRANKENSTEIN" levels of bad, because the competition is a bit stiffer and you are no longer competing with dumb poo poo like "PAWN STARS" and "COOKING CHALLENGE SHOW #384.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhymenoserous posted:

"COOKING CHALLENGE SHOW #384"

This cake is delicious! But this cake is terrible! You'll just have to take my word for it, audience.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Fffffffffuuccccckkkkkk!

Thanks to the magic of the word "gently caress", this post works on two levels for me.

On the one: Fuuuck, I really wanted Booster. (Though Rip's pretty cool too.)

On the other: gently caress [yeah], Arthur Darvill! (But will he sport a beard?)

Also, Hawkgirl? Holy smokes. If CW tosses in Buddy Baker somewhere, anywhere, I may just swoon.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The just want to use all the DC characters before Warner puts a "no-use clause" on them.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
A review of the first episode of Daredevil.

http://televisedrevolution.com/review/review-marvels-daredevil-episode-1

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ha! Go gently caress yourself Devin Faraci.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still holding out hope that the Arrow/Flash spin-off will be something along the lines of Secret Origins.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

quote:

This is a grounded, real world hero who operates in a tangible space. Every punch thrown in the film is felt and a punch is often not quite enough to take out an enemy in the world of Daredevil. Unlike most depictions of violence on TV, when facing an enemy, if Daredevil punches them he needs to keep on punching them until they stay down. This is a brutal, cold, and violent superhero series.

That sounds awful.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That sounds great, can't wait.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Agents of Shield and Agent Carter are not bad person reviewing this Daredevil show :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unkempt posted:

That sounds awful.

Yeah I like light airy carefree Daredevil like he was in his most famous and character defining runs by Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Yeah I like light airy carefree Daredevil like he was in his most famous and character defining runs by Miller, Brubaker, and Bendis.

Yeah. Its not like he has had two girlfriends murdered, one commit suicide and other is irreversibly insane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everything is coming up Murdock!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Everything is coming up Murdock!

He would never have a break down and declare himself Kingpin!

Bumfluff
Jun 19, 2008

Bumfluff!
It's me, Mabel!
I'm looking at you through the av!
Right here!
This is my voice!
I'm talking to you from inside!

Scyantific posted:

I'm still holding out hope that the Arrow/Flash spin-off will be something along the lines of Secret Origins.

Yeah, I think some sort of anthology show would work quite well and make sense considering some of the characters in it. Stein making the Firestorm matrix would make sense considering no Ronnie, Sara Lance and the League, some Rogues misadventure. The characters in it probably couldn't carry their own show but they could have an episode or two, for sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Too bad about that gritty reboot by that hack Mark Waid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Too bad about that gritty reboot by that hack Mark Waid.

I especially enjoyed the light hearted "Matt Confronts His Clinical Depression" arc in that run.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking they could do an ensemble thing where there's several stories going on at once and intersecting from time to time, like Heroes or True Blood.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm generally not a fan of darker comics and gritty movies and shows based on comics, but as I've said in another thread if there's one character where that doesn't just feel like a gimmick and feels like an integral part of the character it's Daredevil. I'm not sure there's another comic character that's just had as lovely a life as Matt Murdock. I'm sure people can point to some Batman or Punisher stories or the like, but Daredevil is in a class all by himself when it comes to getting poo poo on by life. It only makes sense that out of all the Marvel properties his would be the darkest. Sure it's great to have a relatively lighthearted in comparison run by Waid (it's telling that this "happy" era of Daredevil is largely about his best friend getting cancer) but darkness is where Daredevil naturally excels. No pun intended.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
While I'm not a massive Daredevil fan I have read a reasonable amount including Miller's stuff, which I quite liked. I still don't think a review basically saying 'Look how hard he punches people in the face!' to be a good indicator of the quality of an adaptation.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
In case it wasn't clear from context, I was being facetious.

Mark Waid is the best writer in comics, and his DD run is awesome but complaining about a Daredevil show being dark is ignoring a huge swatch of what the character is.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Unkempt posted:

While I'm not a massive Daredevil fan I have read a reasonable amount including Miller's stuff, which I quite liked. I still don't think a review basically saying 'Look how hard he punches people in the face!' to be a good indicator of the quality of an adaptation.

That's not what the review actually says though unless you are being deliberately obtuse. And nobody here is going to disagree if you were to say that one review from some random no-name doesn't mean much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well Superherohype just posted a pretty glowing review of the full series.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I hate that twitter man for making me worry about this show.

Also, Flash had an excellent ep last night, and I understand SHIELD had one as well. Which explains the lack of posts in this thread about them.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
When exactly is Daredevil released?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

When exactly is Daredevil released?

April 10

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Every review I'm seeing so far says the show is fantastic. Here are two more glowing reviews about the first five episodes.

http://www.mtv.com/news/2120248/netflix-daredevil-review/

http://screencrush.com/netflix-daredevil-review/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
More positive reviews, watch out for spoilers.

http://screencrush.com/netflix-daredevil-review/?trackback=tsmclip

http://www.theworkprint.com/marvels-daredevil-review-beautiful-brutal-brilliant/123

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/tv-review-marvels-daredevil---season-1-episode-1-into-the-ring-263

http://nerdbastards.com/2015/04/01/tv-review-give-the-devil-his-due-netflixs-daredevil-series-is-dark-intense-and-mercilessly-good/

Twitter reaction from the News Editor for Variety

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
#Daredevil is ballsy and brutal, but also brimming with humanity. Charlie Cox plays Matt Murdock with such wit, charm & pathos; he's perfect

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
Also, #Daredevil has the absolute best fight scenes on "television," bar none. It's not just cinematic, it's utterly breathtaking.

Laura Prudom @LauInLA
In fact, #Daredevil is so good, it's one of those rare beasts that @blowryontv and I can agree on

lomzus fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 1, 2015