Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's a fascinating historical event and I'd love to hear about it.

If at some point the Japanese military representative doesn't threaten to have the Japanese political representative assassinated for disagreeing with him I will be kind of disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

I'm gonna make a RPG based on this and toriko where you have to eat and maybe cook the monsters you kill to get experience.

I would play that game.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Meikyuu Kingdom has a Cook subclass that lets you make food out of monsters you kill and temporarily give a party member one of that monster's powers.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lynx Winters posted:

Meikyuu Kingdom has a Cook subclass that lets you make food out of monsters you kill and temporarily give a party member one of that monster's powers.

Yeah I know but I wanted to have a game more geared into that like having the party delve into a huge dungeon not for treasure but for an ancient bottle of motherbitching Sriracha sauce whose recipe is lost to the eons.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah I know but I wanted to have a game more geared into that like having the party delve into a huge dungeon not for treasure but for an ancient bottle of motherbitching Sriracha sauce whose recipe is lost to the eons.

Again. I would play the poo poo out of a Toriko RPG.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thomamelas posted:

If at some point the Japanese military representative doesn't threaten to have the Japanese political representative assassinated for disagreeing with him I will be kind of disappointed.

They also have to find any deal that doesn't give Japan the world's largest navy unacceptable and a plot to destroy Japan.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I am so looking forward to this.

My character will be so broody you have no idea.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Vast & Starlit has an interesting mechanic for cooperatively creating alien races, if you don't want to go down the path of creating 100 pages of crafting tables.

Hacking it for fantasy food might go something like this:

Step 1: a player selects a food everyone knows
Step 2: next player selects an aspect of that food (taste, smell, texture, preparation, etc)
Step 3: next player twists that aspect (exaggerate, diminish, or reverse)

Repeat steps 2 and 3 two or three more times, going around the table

Next player creates a coherent whole out of only the twisted aspects. The dish will need a name. Select a primary ingredient based on one of the twisted aspects.

Finally, any player can call for a calibration if the ideas are too goofy, etc for the tone of the table. When that happens, a 3rd player offers ideas to tone things down until everyone's content.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This is the actual secret plot to Dragon's Crown - you're not actually trying to stop the Ancient Dragon, you are trying to kill extraordinarily rare monsters so you can sit around a campfire and turn them into the most delicious dish. The Ancient Dragon just so happens to be the rarest (and thus most delicious) ingredient.

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Evil Mastermind posted:

I am so looking forward to this.

My character will be so broody you have no idea.

I'm as much into making fun of terrible stereotypes as the next man (the looks section is amazing), but when you turn that into an RPG, devote your game design energies to it, and expect players to sink 3-4 hours of their times, multiple times, into it, isn't that going a bit far with the "ironic" appreciation?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Cyphoderus posted:

I'm as much into making fun of terrible stereotypes as the next man (the looks section is amazing), but when you turn that into an RPG, devote your game design energies to it, and expect players to sink 3-4 hours of their times, multiple times, into it, isn't that going a bit far with the "ironic" appreciation?

No.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Serious answer: I don't think so, no. I wouldn't be surprised if this was either just a long piss-take on dark 90's RPGs that is intended to just be read as a joke while still being playable as a one-shot or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Cyphoderus posted:

Well overdoing "irony" so much it warps back around into something else seems to be a proud Something Awful forums tradition, so I'd say it fits right in.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I like how it says "currently dead?" Not Dead, but Currently Dead. Also, parody or not, it could be interesting.

Also, I'd also be down for a Toriko RPG.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Cyphoderus posted:

Yeah, seems like it to me. I like to have in-jokes and irony in my game sessions, not in my game system. I can happily play a trenchcoat-katana dude or a brony (having young daughters, I know my ponies) or whatever other ironic thing without being told what jokes to make by the game mechanics.

But I wouldn't ever tell somebody not to play a game if it looked interesting to them just based on such a superficial assessment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
More games need these digital tutorials.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They also have to find any deal that doesn't give Japan the world's largest navy unacceptable and a plot to destroy Japan.

I'm debating how much role the Black Chamber stuff will have. The Japanese had a pipe dream number, a we'd be happy with this number, an acceptable number and the lowest tolerable number. They got the last one because the US was reading their diplomatic telegrams. So I'm pondering just how much intel the various factions gets. I'm also wondering how much stuff will get leaked to the press for the purpose of disinformation.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Jyen is also Mengtzu on rpg.net, I think, and plans to make a new one when 3E actually comes out instead of just leaking a whole bunch.

EDIT: yup it's Mengtzu

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 30, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

hey everybody, shut up and tell me what cocktail to make next. I have: gin, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, white rum, dry & sweet vermouth, soda and lemons.

e: also bitters. gently caress yea.

e2: not a manhattan. just had one. a little too sweet for a bourbon drink IMO

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 30, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Moscow Mule with lemon.

Any RPGs revolving around brewing or bartending?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2015

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

i drank all my ginger beer and ginger ale. otherwise I'd be right there. for now its a proper martini.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Thomamelas posted:

I'm debating how much role the Black Chamber stuff will have. The Japanese had a pipe dream number, a we'd be happy with this number, an acceptable number and the lowest tolerable number. They got the last one because the US was reading their diplomatic telegrams. So I'm pondering just how much intel the various factions gets. I'm also wondering how much stuff will get leaked to the press for the purpose of disinformation.

Yeah, it was a pretty big ace in the hole and the American players have to work hard at bartering for it without jumping immediately to that specific number.

The British and Americans also have to balance protecting their Asian colonies, maintaining their own multi-ocean fleets while keeping with the intent of the conference, and not pissing off the Japanese to the point where they do something stupid earlier than they do in the real world.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 31, 2015

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

Rockopolis posted:

Moscow Mule with lemon.

Any RPGs revolving around brewing or bartending?

ummmmmm how could you forget acclaimed rpg Dungeons and Drank

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

hey everybody, shut up and tell me what cocktail to make next. I have: gin, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, white rum, dry & sweet vermouth, soda and lemons.

Currently drinking: Seagram's Distiller's Reserve + Corning Country Cottage

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Really Pants posted:

Currently drinking: Seagram's Distiller's Reserve + Corning Country Cottage

wait, is that a glass you're drinking from? poo poo. I'm not that classy. it all goes in the crown royal rocks glass.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, it was a pretty big ace in the hole and the American players have to work hard at bartering for it without jumping immediately to that specific number.

The British and Americans also have to balance protecting their Asian colonies, maintaining their own multi-ocean fleets while keeping with the intent of the conference, and not pissing off the Japanese to the point where they do something stupid earlier than they do in the real world.

I'm looking forward to this. It has the political stakes of a storygame but some of the naval detail stuff is super groggy.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Lord Frisk posted:

Take the whiskey, the vodka, the soda, and the lemons. Pour the whiskey in a chilled glass. Put away the soda and the lemons. Put the glass of whiskey down. Drink the vodka directly from the bottle. Proceed to cry.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ProfessorCirno posted:

Drink the vodka directly from the bottle. Proceed to cry.

This is just called a Russian

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's not Sunday though?

Anyway, with the stuff you've got on hand, you should make some simple syrup and turn it into a Tom Collins.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Bogart was wrong, just drink martinis.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Ningyou posted:

ummmmmm how could you forget acclaimed rpg Dungeons and Drank
Do you really want to bring up the whole Changeling/Yngling thing again? Really?

Budlight 2000. Big Eyes, Small Malt. Monster*Heineken. FATE: Alcoholic Edition. Qin-gdao: The Warring Brews. Das Schwarz Bier. Dopplebocks & Dunkels. RIFTS.

Holy poo poo I really want to get wasted.

Lord Frisk posted:

And now you know the answer is "All of it."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rockopolis posted:

Big Eyes, Small Malt

Big Eyes, Malt Mouth.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Big Eyes, Malt Mouth.
Big Bock, Small Weissbier

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Thomamelas posted:

I'm gonna try to run a forum based Megagame around the Washington Naval Treaty. I'm curious if I'll get enough players but I'm gonna give it a try.

Late to the party on this but it's exactly the kind of thing I'm into.

I'm not sure that says anything good about me, but there you go.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

To be honest it sounds like my speed too. I dunno if I want to play the assassination happy Japanese government, but I do like historical stuff, and I can maybe play as "the Haig of the RN" Churchill or perhaps...Italy? So, yes, I hope you get enough players!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I completely understand.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Thomamelas posted:

I'm gonna try to run a forum based Megagame around the Washington Naval Treaty. I'm curious if I'll get enough players but I'm gonna give it a try.

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding. It's why the war college doesn't do them, even though there's a lot of call for them - finding 30-40 people that genuinely know the facts necessary historical event is tough!

It's probably also the main issue with historical RPGs, even ones that are loose with the facts.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Fantasy Iron Chef is a great idea.

Already way ahead of you folks. :haw:

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue with trying to do historical megagames is just getting a large number of people people who have a good historical understanding. It's why the war college doesn't do them, even though there's a lot of call for them - finding 30-40 people that genuinely know the facts necessary historical event is tough!

It's probably also the main issue with historical RPGs, even ones that are loose with the facts.
Definitely true. Maybe something that's more of a broad-strokes reskinning of it so the historical aspects aren't as critical?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
To be honest the Japanese military cliques haven't gone full tilt crazy at the time of the conference. The Taisho democracy is still a thing and the desperation of the 30's hasn't kicked in yet. The graft and corruption of the era, the growing food scarcity that leaves most poor people on the edge of starvation, and the great test of Western liberal democracy, The Great Depression, haven't happened yet. You can play it that way but the Japan of 1921 is much more reasonable than the Japan of 1931. Japan at this time is just super petulant over the Entente not handing Shandong over to them and grumbling about the South Pacific German islands they were given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Definitely true. Maybe something that's more of a broad-strokes reskinning of it so the historical aspects aren't as critical?

Yeah. Even so, I was recently working on a semi-historical pirate game and it's still so easy to get buried on the massive amount of information we have on the era. History is a rabbit hole and it's easy to get sucked down it, but much harder to make it presentable to all your friends.

• Locked thread