Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

site posted:

What's super cool about it that I should try this over other source ports?

It has an active multiplayer userbase and good netcode, so if you want to play slaughter maps or samsara deathmatch with 9 other nerds it's basically your only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

site posted:

It is THE multiplayer for doom.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

site posted:

In short: It's a slightly outdated version of GZDoom, but with a really good modern netcode layer bolted on that'll handle 10 players and hundreds of monsters running around at full speed with barely a hint of lag. It's also where most of the modern Doom multiplayer community can be found.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh okay, I guess this is a bigger deal than I thought!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I am so loving hyped you have no clue, this gives me so many more options to work with.

I'm gonna need to push out another Push and DemonSteele update pronto.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

It seems like Zandronum is finally upgrading to 2.0 today, at least according to the global server announcement I got earlier.

edit: It happened.

Does it support Freedoom 0.9?

I have doom.wad and doom2.wad, but I like some of the graphics in 0.9 more. Obviously, the original wads are essential for "vanilla" coop, but aside from that...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Zandronum works with Freedoom in any wad that isn't directly dependent on Doom1/2. If you don't have Doom, it actually will offer to download freedoom.wad for you.

Jakcson
Sep 15, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

If you don't have Doom, it actually will offer to download freedoom.wad for you.

Wow, Zandronum seems like a pretty cool dude. :cheers:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Aaronicon posted:

I think it says all it needs to when the first reply to a pretty major update on Zandronum on their forums is 'first'.

gently caress that's still such a stupid loving name. I had to double check like three times to make sure I had spelt it right.

Yeah, it really is a dumb name. I don't even think it's an actual word, either...just a noise that tells you nothing. You can decipher "GZDoom" or "Skulltag" to an extent, but "Zandronum" is nonsense. It's like changing the name of "Mr. Clean" products to "Red Xypher" or something. Sci-fi garbage.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I like names like Zandronum because you will find it in a Google Search. Try googling "EYE" or "Painkiller" or "Rage".

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, it really is a dumb name. I don't even think it's an actual word, either...just a noise that tells you nothing. You can decipher "GZDoom" or "Skulltag" to an extent, but "Zandronum" is nonsense. It's like changing the name of "Mr. Clean" products to "Red Xypher" or something. Sci-fi garbage.

I took Zandorum as an attempt to look 666EVIL AND DARK666. It's like something you'd see a goth name his journal.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

closeted republican posted:

I took Zandorum as an attempt to look 666EVIL AND DARK666. It's like something you'd see a goth name his journal.

From my understanding, it's not really an attempt at anything.
It's the result of the hasty fork from Skulltag and trying to decide what the name should be between ZDeathmatch/Infernum/Andromeda. Eventually they just went "gently caress it this is taking too long" and merged the three together.

v:v:v

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's just a symptom of the Doom network source ports. What the poo poo is ZDaemon or Odamex?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Elliotw2 posted:

I think it's just a symptom of the Doom network source ports. What the poo poo is ZDaemon or Odamex?

It's pretty obvious that Daemon = Demon = Doom, ZDaemon = ZDoom, and that Odamex is some sort of smell-based port.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Jakcson posted:

Does it support Freedoom 0.9?

I have doom.wad and doom2.wad, but I like some of the graphics in 0.9 more. Obviously, the original wads are essential for "vanilla" coop, but aside from that...

are you making GBS threads me

the worst part about his probation for being insane is that it wasn't for this post

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Oh yeah.
With Zandro 2.0 out, this mandates a lot of tweaks and adjustments in order to make things run more smoothly. With the advent of CVARINFO, this meant an entire rewrite of the cvar system. So as to avoid the whole "cvars already exist" error, all of the cvars have been renamed with dst_ prefix instead of ds_. It's not perfect, sorry, but it's what happens.
Also, the Less Effects setting now has entirely different cvars in ZDoom and Zandronum, so changing one does not affect how the other plays in another engine. This is a useless feature to note. Nobody will care. But I suffered to get Zandro/ZDoom compatibility in a single build and I drat well want to note it down.

IF YOU DON'T USE ZANDRONUM, YOU CAN SAFELY IGNORE THIS UPDATE. This update is mostly a maintenance build filled with under-the-hood fixes to make sure server play goes smoothly.

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=demonsteele-v0.81.pk3

EDIT: NOPE STUFF'S SUDDENLY BREAKING THAT HADN'T BROKEN BEFORE ONE SECOND

TerminusEst13 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 30, 2015

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh yeah.
With Zandro 2.0 out, this mandates a lot of tweaks and adjustments in order to make things run more smoothly. With the advent of CVARINFO, this meant an entire rewrite of the cvar system. So as to avoid the whole "cvars already exist" error, all of the cvars have been renamed with dst_ prefix instead of ds_. It's not perfect, sorry, but it's what happens.
Also, the Less Effects setting now has entirely different cvars in ZDoom and Zandronum, so changing one does not affect how the other plays in another engine. This is a useless feature to note. Nobody will care. But I suffered to get Zandro/ZDoom compatibility in a single build and I drat well want to note it down.

IF YOU DON'T USE ZANDRONUM, YOU CAN SAFELY IGNORE THIS UPDATE. This update is mostly a maintenance build filled with under-the-hood fixes to make sure server play goes smoothly.

http://www.best-ever.org/download?file=demonsteele-v0.81.pk3

EDIT: NOPE STUFF'S SUDDENLY BREAKING THAT HADN'T BROKEN BEFORE ONE SECOND

Oh, so business as usual since the advent of the first update of any program ever, then ;)

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Elliotw2 posted:

What the poo poo is ZDaemon?

The name is likely inspired by http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-general/11039-init-doom-refresh-daemon/

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

When it first came out, prescription medication jokes about it were made for eight months. But I think Odamex sounds even more like the name of a pharmaceutical.

Odamex is generally well-tolerated, but side effects may include...

koren
Sep 7, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrL9CDcxPJM

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Jblade posted:

You can send them to my e-mail at jstanf36@gmail.com

The powersuit; there should be a missile launcher at the opposite side of the room - you might also want to check if you have any alternate ammo for the sawn-off as flechette shells deal a ton of damage to armoured enemies. Failing that, the game should of auto-saved before fighting the boss - if you head back into the big dark mining area before you entered the tunnel leading to the temple, there's 2 transport carts you can enter. One of them has an assault rifle which deals armour piercing damage you can use (and the other contains supplies)

Thanks for this, but unfortunately I was quick-saving and can't go back. Where is the missile launcher supposed to be? I can find some health and fire armour but nothing else. I can only manage to get the powersuit to 1/3 health with what I have so I suppose I need to restart...

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Thanks for this, but unfortunately I was quick-saving and can't go back. Where is the missile launcher supposed to be? I can find some health and fire armour but nothing else. I can only manage to get the powersuit to 1/3 health with what I have so I suppose I need to restart...
In the back corner of the room on top of a green crate (facing the direction you entered in, the left side) John should also be doing some damage to the powersuit (unless you're playing on Expert or above) It does seem pretty thin on the ground as far as ammo is concerned now that I'm looking at it again; if you can't proceed any further with the missile launcher than:
You can always type spawn DEVISTATORSPRITE into the console which will spawn the Steyr AUG and not count as a cheat for the difficulty medal

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Jblade posted:

In the back corner of the room on top of a green crate (facing the direction you entered in, the left side) John should also be doing some damage to the powersuit (unless you're playing on Expert or above) It does seem pretty thin on the ground as far as ammo is concerned now that I'm looking at it again; if you can't proceed any further with the missile launcher than:
You can always type spawn DEVISTATORSPRITE into the console which will spawn the Steyr AUG and not count as a cheat for the difficulty medal

I found a savegame from about halfway through the level and retried this - still no missile launcher on those crates :argh: I managed to position John where he was doing a lot of damage and I could plink it down, I used all the ammo I had though.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

I just looked and sure enough it was a bug with the map, that missile launcher was set to only show up on easy or Armageddon. Sorry about the bullshit there, that's been fixed up at least. I'll save you a bit of hassle with the next boss:
Make sure you take everything in the room after the cutscene with James and Sang plays out, including what's in the green crate. In the next room you can shoot the stalactites on the ceiling to fall down and hit the boss, and you can also climb up rope ladders at each corner of the room and kick a boulder down to deal a bunch of damage as well. Finally, you can choose to kill Lilith (the women floating above the boss) by taking out the 4 cultists and then shooting her which also knocks off a chunk of the bosses health, but this will stop you from getting the good ending to that map.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Jblade posted:

I just looked and sure enough it was a bug with the map, that missile launcher was set to only show up on easy or Armageddon. Sorry about the bullshit there, that's been fixed up at least. I'll save you a bit of hassle with the next boss:
Make sure you take everything in the room after the cutscene with James and Sang plays out, including what's in the green crate. In the next room you can shoot the stalactites on the ceiling to fall down and hit the boss, and you can also climb up rope ladders at each corner of the room and kick a boulder down to deal a bunch of damage as well. Finally, you can choose to kill Lilith (the women floating above the boss) by taking out the 4 cultists and then shooting her which also knocks off a chunk of the bosses health, but this will stop you from getting the good ending to that map.

Thanks, I managed to figure that out. Almost missed the stalactites but got the boxers ending. The MGS getaway was a bit abrupt, I was killed instantly the first few times through it.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

:toot: It's that time yet again:toot:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I picked Mt Erebus over Hangar.

:colbert:

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, me too. Hanger is an iconic map, but Mt Erebus is an actually cool map beyond the fact that it's first.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Mt Erebus is actively painful to look at, it's only a cool map if you're blind.

Edit: vv I'll keep that in mind next time I decide to try it and spend the next 20 minutes trying to clear the blood from my eyes. :colbert:

catlord fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 31, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

catlord posted:

Mt Erebus is actively painful to look at, it's only a cool map if you're blind.

It looks like rear end but the map design and gameplay are really good. It's one of my fav Doom 1 maps.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I think beyond Hangar being first, what makes it so good is that it's a great introduction to the game. It organically teaches you about all the basics a first time FPS/Doom player might need to get started: height differences + auto-aim, switches, secrets, pickups, etc, but also can just be rushed through by an experienced player without any of the tutorial-lite elements slowing them down. That's good map design even if it's not of the type experienced players might stop to appreciate usually.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Start.bsp and E1M1 in Quake 1 are also good examples of hidden tutorials. Start.bsp gives you a safe space to get used to how Quake 1 controls, lets you try out jumping if you're feeling daring, and the level is flat enough that Doom players should feel at-home,. E1M1 starts out with a small room that shows you how finding Quake 1's secrets works, a room that lets you safely practice jumping and the advantages it brings, and a small evetator with a monster so you can start getting a feel for combat and to learn that you must push switches in order to use them. The rest of the map shows off the advantages of true 3D with things like bridges you can go under, large vertical shafts you can swim under. There isn't a key you need to find so that you can just zoom through the level or take your time looking around and getting used to things without having to look around or backtrack. By the time you reach E1M2, you'll have a full understanding of how Quake 1 works and it's differences compared to Doom 1 and 2.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
All this is going to confirm Perfect Hatred as the Perfect Map

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

Thanks, I managed to figure that out. Almost missed the stalactites but got the boxers ending. The MGS getaway was a bit abrupt, I was killed instantly the first few times through it.
hahah, that's good to hear you got the good ending (boxers ending is a new one but I like that term more) You're right about the truck scene though, I should probably try and make that truck actually drive up alongside you instead of instantly being there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dr. Dos posted:

All this is going to confirm Perfect Hatred as the Perfect Map

Honestly I don't know if it will survive the next round. The Inmost Dens is the same template but with a lot more artistry. And if it gets past that, I don't think it has a chance versus Against Thee Wickedly.

Also haha Linguica I just got why you're using the blood spatters on the tournament image. Nice touch.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I have to admit that I went with The Romero on most of these. Episode 1 is really fantastic. Though I went with The Living End over Nuclear Plant because it really is a fantastic penultimate map. It's huge with lots of stuff to fight and it shows that you can have some great progression through a level without having to resort to keys, bucking the typical trend in Doom for later levels to have more keys. I also like that it has several minibosses culminating in a Cyberdemon; even though you can just run past it, the first time you climb the final hill to see a Cyberdemon popping out of the ground is kind of a shock. You could see the exit area right from the start but oh poo poo where did that guy come from?!

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 31, 2015

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Arivia posted:

Also haha Linguica I just got why you're using the blood spatters on the tournament image. Nice touch.

What am I missing? :(

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

The blood splatter shows up on the interstitial map on the levels you've already beaten.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

0 rows returned posted:

The blood splatter shows up on the interstitial map on the levels you've already beaten.

:doh:
I love that you used the word interstitial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I've never actually played (much) beyond the first episode of Wolf3D (edit: though I have played and beaten Spear of Destiny), and was wondering what would be the best way to play it now, with a mouse and keyboard and an automap?

This LPer mentioned in his first video that he was using a TC with GZdoom. I'm on a mac, what are my best options?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5IPhSmN30

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 31, 2015