Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

comes along bort posted:

It's not that weird. There's a huge overlap between people who like Meshuggah and dweeby prog stuff. Though I'd hazard a guess that band probably got their Meshuggah influence second hand through crap like Periphery or Hacktivist.
Karnivool is pretty good for that sort of style, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_E5ae9ZTwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAXujzyqZgg

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
Chris Adler (Lamb of God) is Megadeth's new drummer. That's... something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i don't understand why megadeth isn't just called DAIF MUSTAINGE BANDO

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

John Magnum posted:

Chris Adler (Lamb of God) is Megadeth's new drummer. That's... something.
That's an interesting choice, but I can see it working.

I would much rather like to know who the new guitarist will be. Broderick left some big shoes to fill.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Get the original line up for a record, marty friedman is just doing weird poo poo in Japan these days.

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 30, 2015

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

To Battle posted:

Get the original line up for a record, marty friedman is just doing weird poo poo in Japan these days.

well Gar is dead and Poland is doing jazz...

oh classic line-up you mean

never going to happen, Menza hosed it all up, per the norm.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

UltraVariant posted:

That's an interesting choice, but I can see it working.

I would much rather like to know who the new guitarist will be. Broderick left some big shoes to fill.
They should definitely get Kerry King back for one tour, just to confuse the everloving gently caress out of everyone.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

UltraVariant posted:

Supposedly it's this dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDAlPwOMMAI

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

That seems like an odd choice on more then one level.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
THEORY FROM SOMEBODY WHO HATES MEGADETH SO I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG:

Each time Dave's had to reshuffle the band, has the next guy always been technically superior to the previous guy? Is that all he's looking for?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not the craziest theory ever, Mustaine has always been a huge stickler for getting every note perfect.

Too bad he ran out of ideas 20 years ago.

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Yeah, doesn't matter who he has, he can't write good songs anymore.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Easy Mac posted:

Yeah, doesn't matter who he has, he can't write good songs anymore.
Endgame showed that he still at least has some cool riffs in him, but I don't think I liked more than two or three actual songs from that album.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Mustaine lost his creativity when he kicked the heroin habit.

In unrelated news I listened to Orange Goblin's "Coup de Grace" for the first time despite having had that album just sitting around the better part of ten years.

It is a pretty drat good album.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hammer Floyd posted:

THEORY FROM SOMEBODY WHO HATES MEGADETH SO I COULD BE TOTALLY WRONG:

Each time Dave's had to reshuffle the band, has the next guy always been technically superior to the previous guy? Is that all he's looking for?

I wouldn't say Al Pitrelli or Glen Drover were more technically proficient than Marty Friedman.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
The list of guitarists who auditioned for Megadeth who didn't make it or ended up turning down Dave's offer is astounding. I don't know if every single one of these is true, or if a lot of guys were just in the mix for a spot in a prominent band, but even if they are only legends, this is still astounding.

Eric Meyer of Dark Angel was asked to join in 1987 when Chris Poland left, but declined. He auditioned again in 1989.
Dimebag Darrell was asked to join the band in 1989 but his condition of joining was that his brother also got hired.
Jeff Loomis auditioned as a teenager in 1989, but he was too young. Dave wanted him in 2008, then settled with his band's second guitarist, Chris Broderick.
Chris Caffery of Savatage also auditioned in 1989, and Dave eventually ended up with his replacement in Savatage, Al Pitrelli.

Kerry King of Slayer and Jay Reynolds of Malice were also very short-term members of the band. Other auditions included Jeff Waters of Annihilator and Lee Altus of Heathen, and even allegedly Slash, though I'm not sure on that one.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hammer Floyd posted:

Each time Dave's had to reshuffle the band, has the next guy always been technically superior to the previous guy?
We peaked with Marty and came close with Chris, so not really.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

UltraVariant posted:

Broderick is a bit more technically proficient than Friedman, at least on the fretboard, with the caveat that he couldn't write a solo to win a junior high school talent show. Christian Lasegue was by far the better Jag Panzer guitarist to listen to, despite his association with worse material.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 30, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

UltraVariant posted:

On the other hand Kiko is probably one of the best power metal guitarists. Temple of Shadows riffs and solos like a boss.

Bit of a waste of talent for him to be joining Megadeth, but Angra aren't so good anymore. What a shame.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I just want Dave got get back to worshiping Satan and writing poo poo like The Conjuring. I want Cold War Dave back... not Free Republic Dave...

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Horrendous announced that they'll be heading back to NYC on May 29th, playing at St. Vitus. Not sure if I'll be able to make it to the city yet, but I'm going to try. If you can, you should check them out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I just want Dave got get back to worshiping Satan and writing poo poo like The Conjuring. I want Cold War Dave back... not Free Republic Dave...

The chugga chugga around the 3 minute mark. :fap:

I don't know what I'd do with myself if he started making music like that again.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 22, 2016

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I posted a song from Summoning a few pages back and after listening to one of their whole albums I gotta say they're a new favorite for me in doom-ish folk metal with harsh vocals. Don't go in expect rowdy tunes, it's a slower pace overall compared to someone like Turasis, it's comparable to the calmer Eluveitie stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-k7ugMCSRU

e: Wiki says they're "atmospheric black metal" so... you learn about something new everyday.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 31, 2015

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
If it happened to Overkill, it COULD happen to Megadeth!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I posted a song from Summoning a few pages back and after listening to one of their whole albums I gotta say they're a new favorite for me in doom-ish folk metal with harsh vocals. Don't go in expect rowdy tunes, it's a slower pace overall compared to someone like Turasis, it's comparable to the calmer Eluveitie stuff.

Not quite in the same vein, but also folky atmospheric black metal, probably the finest example of the subgenre released in the last few years, and one of the best ever. Scottish one-man band (though the drums on this album were played by one of the usual suspects):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVk3wvcP8TI

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

MrBling posted:

Mustaine lost his creativity when he kicked the heroin habit.

He might be the only person on earth who was more lucid and coherent when he was a crackhead.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
To whomever posted that Exodus - Fabulous Disaster is one of the top 5 metal album, thank you! I'm listening to hit right now and loving it. What other Exodus releases are worth listening to?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I like Helloween

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Furism posted:

To whomever posted that Exodus - Fabulous Disaster is one of the top 5 metal album, thank you! I'm listening to hit right now and loving it. What other Exodus releases are worth listening to?

Bonded by Blood is their best album.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
toxic waltz is a great song

quote:

bonded by blood is their best album

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 31, 2015

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
I cant understand why Exodus or Overkill weren't part of the 'big 4' but somehow Anthrax was.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

AgentJotun posted:

I cant understand why Exodus or Overkill weren't part of the 'big 4' but somehow Anthrax was.

I love the other 3 "big", but was never a huge fan of Anthrax - loving the riffs, not a fan of the vocals. Exodus sounds indeed much closer to the other three.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Furism posted:

Bonded By Blood is awesome.

I think the Rob Dukes stuff is worth checking out. Atrocity Exhibit A or Exhibit B both have some loving killer songs on them. Some are a bit filler-ish, but the good ones make it worthwhile.

Tempo Of The Damned is also pretty bitching. Exodus are fairly consistent. It does what it says on the tin.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AgentJotun posted:

Big 4 is based on popularity, and Anthrax were far more accessible. Also Among the Living and Spreading the Disease are dope.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Fistful of Metal is a fantastic album, thats why Anthrax is part of that group.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MrBling posted:

Fistful of Metal is a fantastic album, thats why Anthrax is part of that group.
Agreed. This one somehow always gets left out despite it by far being the best thing they ever released.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
The best Exodus album is Another Lesson in Violence. I normally don't get into live albums, but that one is great. It's most of Bonded by Blood with a few other songs with way better sounding production and Paul Baloff being ridiculous between songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Early Metal Church is really good too.