Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I've never actually played (much) beyond the first episode of Wolf3D, and was wondering what would be the best way to play it now, with a mouse and keyboard and an automap?

This LPer mentioned in his first video that he was using a TC with GZdoom. I'm on a mac, what are my best options?

The best option would probably be the Mac version of ECWolf. (More recent, unofficial releases can be found here.) You will still need the data files from the DOS version of the game.

That Wolf TC for GZDoom shown in the video can be found here, if you'd rather try that. It's not a perfect recreation, but it's pretty close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

So, I've never actually played (much) beyond the first episode of Wolf3D (edit: though I have played and beaten Spear of Destiny), and was wondering what would be the best way to play it now, with a mouse and keyboard and an automap?

This LPer mentioned in his first video that he was using a TC with GZdoom. I'm on a mac, what are my best options?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5IPhSmN30
ECWolf is a modern, multiplatform Wolf3D port by one of the ZDoom developers. It has everything you want.

There's also the ZDoom TC you mentioned, but, well, it's still technically Doom so there's weird little inaccuracies and bugs scattered around.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

ECWolf is a modern, multiplatform Wolf3D port by one of the ZDoom developers. It has everything you want.

There's also the ZDoom TC you mentioned, but, well, it's still technically Doom so there's weird little inaccuracies and bugs scattered around.

Well, holy poo poo. I'm definitely going to be putting this on both my phone and Mac (yes, I have the actual Wolf files). Oh, technology :allears:

I assume that save files can be transferred between platforms? I'd love to be blasting my way through on my computer, and then be able to switch over to the mobile version after I copy the save files over.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah, thanks for pointing this out, didn't think to look for a Mac port. I've been looking for some old games to play on my lovely old macbook and I've never actually played Wolf3D so this should be interesting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

So, I've never actually played (much) beyond the first episode of Wolf3D (edit: though I have played and beaten Spear of Destiny), and was wondering what would be the best way to play it now, with a mouse and keyboard and an automap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5IPhSmN30

Personally, I LOVE finally having an automap in Wolf3D. The engine limitations make everything look so samey that it's hard to have landmarks.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Rainbow tacticool wolf3d is my favorite wolf.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kazvall posted:

Rainbow tacticool wolf3d is my favorite wolf.

lol what is that?

Nintendo Kid posted:

Personally, I LOVE finally having an automap in Wolf3D. The engine limitations make everything look so samey that it's hard to have landmarks.
Good point, might play the tc instead then. How buggy is it?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The TC didn't change the levels, the Wolf levels are still very flat and very samey no matter if you use DOSbox, ECWolf, or Wolfendoom.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Good point, might play the tc instead then. How buggy is it?

Very little, honestly.

That said, ECWolf has an automap too.

Personally I still prefer to play with the TC because ZDoom controls are better (ECWolf still doesn't know how to read mouse wheel input for example), but ECWolf allows you to play vanilla Wolf mods as well as its own mods.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
ECWolf is definitely the one to go for. I tried the ZDoom total conversion, and it just felt too much like Doom. Plus, ECWolf gives you an automap. It's not as if you'll need any more controls than what ECWolf provides, so the lack of mouse wheel support isn't a problem.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Might have to play the tc (in my Mac partition) anyways because ecwolf didn't add the necessary folders and isn't reading the one I made. Or maybe I'll just have to play in bootcamp :/

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-fps-levels-ever/

Alright.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is the definitely of 'fluff piece'. I mean...

PCGamer posted:

There are better Doom levels, but Hangar, or E1M1, is so iconic, I just had to include it.

No, no you didn't, if there were better levels :colbert:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yeah… I mean, the picks aren't bad, as such — they're all good levels. It just reeks of “I played the beginning over and over again”, with only a few exceptions that are just too spectacular to dismiss.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Hangar is a formal masterpiece.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have no problem with Hangar as #1. My issue is with 'This is our number one pick, though there are better Doom levels'.

So... why the gently caress isn't one of THEM #1, if you're saying that?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The real issue is Lady Boyle's Last Party, which is probably the least good Dishonored level.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Alain Post posted:

The real issue is Lady Boyle's Last Party, which is probably the least good Dishonored level.

Yeah agreed completely, its a game of great levels and they picked a meh one.

Also they've got burgertown from Call of Duty which is pretty meh compared to most FPS levels, its only good if you really want to put a Call of Duty map on the list somewhere. But they already have All Guillied Up, and its rated lower?! I guess because Guillied is so linear and the magic is mostly done once you've done it a few times.

And our mutual friend from half life 2 ep 2; that was a cool boss fight but I wouldn't call it the best level ever just like I wouldn't call Icon of Sin the best level ever. Its a neat gimmick and a fun boss, but nothing else. Its almost not even a level in the normal sense.

Glad to see the deus ex liberty island on there at least.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
"In no particular order, here are some of our favourites."

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Very glad they included Liberty Island, that may very well be my favorite FPS level of all time.

Except for Surface Tension, that is. We've Got Hostiles is cool but Surface Tension is really astoundingly great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Johnny Law posted:

"In no particular order, here are some of our favourites."

Ah so not rated lower. But still, some of these levels don't remotely meet the standard of other ones.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
They pick a "fight off waves of enemies" level from a Call of Duty game and it's not the loving Pavlov House from the first game??? C'mon son.

e: Also I totally like No Mercy from Left 4 Dead, but I guess that's technically multiple levels and you kind of need the whole set to make it work.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 1, 2015

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I am kind of annoyed after spending several hours trying (and failing) to convince the other SRB2 developers that they shouldn't make the OpenGL renderer look just like the software renderer, down to resorting to Doom's good ol' PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps, for "parity" reasons because holy poo poo what hardware renderer in the history of PC games was intentionally gimped to look like the software renderer like this

I mean, the idea of making a hardware Doom renderer that looks like the software Doom renderer isn't an entirely unsound one, and probably one that'd get some support from the Doom community at large, but to then make those changes mandatory, throwing out truecolor rendering entirely? I swear to God, I'm absent from the developer IRC room for a few weeks, and they go on to implement that kind of harebrained scheme...

...Oh, and Liberty Island? I recall being told that Deus Ex doesn't start getting really good until you get to Hell's Kitchen, and I'm kind of inclined to agree. Liberty Island's certainly memorable, but it's kind of a slow start.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

I am kind of annoyed after spending several hours trying (and failing) to convince the other SRB2 developers that they shouldn't make the OpenGL renderer look just like the software renderer, down to resorting to Doom's good ol' PLAYPAL and COLORMAP lumps, for "parity" reasons because holy poo poo what hardware renderer in the history of PC games was intentionally gimped to look like the software renderer like this

I mean, the idea of making a hardware Doom renderer that looks like the software Doom renderer isn't an entirely unsound one, and probably one that'd get some support from the Doom community at large, but to then make those changes mandatory, throwing out truecolor rendering entirely? I swear to God, I'm absent from the developer IRC room for a few weeks, and they go on to implement that kind of harebrained scheme...

...Oh, and Liberty Island? I recall being told that Deus Ex doesn't start getting really good until you get to Hell's Kitchen, and I'm kind of inclined to agree. Liberty Island's certainly memorable, but it's kind of a slow start.

Yeah, it seems like Liberty Island has a reputation for being that part of the game you have to endure before the game really sinks its teeth into you, but also a reputation for being the perfect introduction to a game like Deus Ex. You start getting to make choices right off the boat (literally) and are dumped into a sprawling map that a player can approach from a ton of different angles. Play by the rules or climb the walls with LAMs, murder everybody or be a complete pacifist, explore and collect info or beeline straight into blasting the target without hearing him out. I think some people dislike it because of how open-ended it is.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Nintendo Kid posted:

Same here... I did my first playthrough of Wolf3D a few months ago using an older version of ECWolf and I ended up playing the last episode using an un-stable version that introduced the automap. The automap alone made going through that much more pleasurable since Wolf3D's levels are very maze-y for the most part. It made me wish I installed that version when I started playing it, but I will definitely use it (or a later version) if/when I do Spear of Destiny.

Also, regarding that 'best FPS levels' list and despite it not being an early FPS game, I'm really happy they included Ravenholm from Half-Life 2. That level is one of the few video game things that actually makes my hair stand on end in fear (mostly because of those black spider-looking poison headcrabs because spiders that attack people are the loving scariest things ever both IRL and in video games/TV/movies :colbert:).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I know Silent Cartographer is on the list, but Assault on the Control Room is seriously epic and the best campaign mission in the entire series.
It's a good list though, I agree with a lot of it. Maybe swap Hangar for Circle of Destruction.
You can tell the author loves his FPS games.

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

but "Zandronum" is nonsense.
Get used to nonsense names. It's a very real strategy these days where product naming actually starts with "lets find something that has zero results on Google and the domain is available." Compared to the past where having a name like say "General Electric" worked.

TerminusEst13 posted:

From my understanding, it's not really an attempt at anything.
It's the result of the hasty fork from Skulltag and trying to decide what the name should be between ZDeathmatch/Infernum/Andromeda. Eventually they just went "gently caress it this is taking too long" and merged the three together.
This is technically correct (although the first thing is just ZDoom), but the justification for the name is pretty irrelevant. The main point though was the fork name couldn't reference Skulltag (since we wanted to avoid "stealing" Carnevil's name). Unfortunately asking the community for name suggestions just gave a big list of "lol how about Skulltag?" (I.e. no one on the Internet follows simple rules.) Of the legit names that were suggested the runner ups were "Altdeath" and "ZDoomCS". Both were pretty much unanimously rejected (the former because apparently some people had beef with the existing Altdeath community from which the domain was being donated, the latter because people just didn't seem to like it being so close to CSDoom). The portmanteau came from two names that were pretty much thrown out outright but we needed to end the endless debate. In a way, it's the best the entire community could come up with.

Elliotw2 posted:

What the poo poo is ZDaemon
A daemon is a very real computer term for a system service/server. Although I'm sure the "refresh daemon" string was an inspiration.

I assume that save files can be transferred between platforms? I'd love to be blasting my way through on my computer, and then be able to switch over to the mobile version after I copy the save files over.
Unless you download the apk from the bitbucket page, I can't promise cross save compatibility (Beloko manages the version on the play store). Otherwise yes they're all compatible although it will be a bit of pain transferring the saves between them I would think.

The Kins posted:

Definitely can't emphasize enough that the even with ECWolf being a little liberal on changes (similar to ZDoom with Doom), the TC isn't anywhere close to accurate compared to ECWolf which is actually based on the Wolf3D engine and designed around its quirks. The TC is definitely a cool project though and it did inspire ECWolf in some ways.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Here's some playable April Fools Day fun: SUPERQOT, a remake of the popular indie game SUPERHOT as a Quake source port.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciBgg-Fuf0o

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I know Silent Cartographer is on the list, but Assault on the Control Room is seriously epic and the best campaign mission in the entire series.
It's a good list though, I agree with a lot of it. Maybe swap Hangar for Circle of Destruction.
You can tell the author loves his FPS games.

Silent Cartographer probably got the nod because it's more open. Assault is great but it has pretty much one path to take with a minor deviation every so often. On SC you can drive all over the island, enter through backdoors, do tasks out of order, shove vehicles where they aren't supposed to be, and so on. It's a better example of the "sandbox" concept that Bungie likes to use to describe it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Man i loved The Library as a kid. Its creepy, Guilty Spark is creepy, the flood are nasssty there at higher levels. I have many fond memories of co-oping that level on legendary. :allears:

As for his half life 2 level, I didn't like the finale of episode 2. Episode 1's finale felt better in its simplicity (You, vs a Strider, in a train yard and without the resources to go Rambo on it.) but if i was to pick a level that was peak Half life 2, it'd be the boat levels that ends with the helicopter battle. Runs on a little bit, but it really nailed that sweet spot of combat > explore > puzzle > combat, that they aimed for.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

Here's some playable April Fools Day fun: SUPERQOT, a remake of the popular indie game SUPERHOT as a Quake source port.

That's actually a really cool idea. I'd love to see some ultra-hard challenge levels that are effectively beatable only using SUPERHOT's time-dilation.

haveblue posted:

Silent Cartographer probably got the nod because it's more open.

Also, just recently released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBvfJJkELQ
It's really good and is totally worth a play.

It's a pity that modding Halo is apparently an enormous pain in the arse, or we'd have more impressive remake stuff like this already.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Kins posted:

drat, I was just about to post this.

It actually looks pretty drat cool. Although it just reminds me that SUPERHOT's development is kinda in a questionable place right now.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

drat, I was just about to post this.

It actually looks pretty drat cool. Although it just reminds me that SUPERHOT's development is kinda in a questionable place right now.

I'm a backer, so I can see the forum access. There's updates each Friday for that tiny Alpha they released.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Part of Ravens 25th anniversary celebrations, it looks like. Nice piece of art, anyway.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

haveblue posted:

Silent Cartographer probably got the nod because it's more open. Assault is great but it has pretty much one path to take with a minor deviation every so often. On SC you can drive all over the island, enter through backdoors, do tasks out of order, shove vehicles where they aren't supposed to be, and so on. It's a better example of the "sandbox" concept that Bungie likes to use to describe it.

I know it's not really an Early FPS, but while we're on the topic, are the PC ports of Halo 1 & 2 any good? I found an article on PC Gamer that shows you how to get Halo 1 running on Win7, but I've heard Halo 2 is still tied into GFWL.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Sgt. MarkIV talking about BDv20 (saying April 24 or May 1 for a release now):

Seargeant Mark 4 posted:

Ok, if you never played Brutal Doom before, I recommend you to not play v19, and wait for v20, because v20 will be so advanced, polished, smooth, and cruel, that it will make v19 look like poo poo, and by playing v19 now, will maybe spoil you. When v20 comes out, it will feature a "Starter Pack" for people that are not used to using Doom mods, and will be a simple "unzip and play" version, containing Brutal Doom v20, FreeDoom (a free and unnoficial version of Doom) and new maps made by me, much better than the ones included in the original game. Just be patient and wait.

You guys were right, this kid is a loving monster :mad:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Max Wilco posted:

I know it's not really an Early FPS, but while we're on the topic, are the PC ports of Halo 1 & 2 any good? I found an article on PC Gamer that shows you how to get Halo 1 running on Win7, but I've heard Halo 2 is still tied into GFWL.

I heard that when it first came out, the PC port of 1 was a bit unoptimised, but by this point it doesn't really matter and other than that it's pretty drat solid. I've not played 2 though, so I can' comment, though I heard it was poo poo.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
MultiDoom MPDoom DoomArena ArenaDoom DoomBattle BattleDoom NetDoom DoomWars etc

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Takes No Damage posted:

Oh, he's including his Doom remake maps?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn2J4Loe57g

Been kinda looking forward to trying those for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Takes No Damage posted:

so how the hell is this going to work with the BD sprites that are edits of the actual Doom sprites (unless he completely redid all the animations for FreeDoom's sprites)