Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

TraderStav posted:

Just realized what I disliked about the notifications in lollipop while in a meeting. I would like "priority notifications" to work but have touch sounds disabled while in priority only mode. I have to put it on no sounds at all in order to achieve that but lose priority notifications. I like the audio feedback in other times so simply turning them off isn't desirable. I think Persistent fixes that issue.

Just turn off your touch sounds completely. Trust me, nobody wants to hear all your bloops and dits and dots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

On the one hand, yes no green, that's awful, but on the other, the blue shimmer highlights with the black version looks sexy as gently caress.

Yeah the black one is probably the one I'm getting. Looks very nice.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

nimper posted:

Just turn off your touch sounds completely. Trust me, nobody wants to hear all your bloops and dits and dots.

I like my bloops and bleeps and traditionally have put on vibrate when it could irritate others. No longer an option.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

TraderStav posted:

Disagree, Z3c is fantastic and I love it way more than my Moto X 2013.

Do you get equally good reception? I'm worried its radios will be weaker than Motorola's.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443473364"]
Do you get equally good reception? I'm worried its radios will be weaker than Motorola's.

I can only speak anecdotedly but I believe it gets better reception. I've had far fewer issues with the Z3c in comparison. Really this phone just needs Qi and an even better camera (like crazy iPhone or Note 4) and I'd pay $600 for this bad boy. Solid build quality, attractive design, good performance and terrific battery.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I love my Turbo, but it does two things that are both reeeeeeeeeeally annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew how to “fix”

1. If I get a call while I have headphones in, the volume jumps to the max. This means there’s a spike in whatever I’m listening to, followed by gently caress YOU levels of my ringer, and then, after the call, I have to remember to turn the volume down before resuming my music/podcast (assuming it doesn’t resume on its own). It doesn’t seem to matter what my ringer volume is set to either.
2. If I get a call while I have headphones in or have my phone plugged into an aux port, I’ll unplug it to talk to the person. For some reason, the call will come through on speakerphone and I have to toggle speakerphone on and back off to get it to route to the earpiece. It doesn’t seem to matter if I unplug it before I answer the call or after.

Any ideas?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

nimper posted:

I actually like the way it's done in Lollipop. You can't accidentally set it on completely silent mode; you have to tap the button like you really mean it. Plus you can configure how long silent or priority mode will last.

Also, once your tablet gets 5.1 you'll see that they changed it so you can tell alarms to interrupt "None" mode. Hopefully this migrates to your phone soon.
Also silent mode until next alarm.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Really, reeeeeeally glad I bought a Sony Z3 instead of waiting for the upcoming phones. It's nearly perfect and is easily better than any HTC/Motorola/Samsung I've owned. Not having the Z3/Z3C on your list of top phones immediately invalidates said list.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

Really, reeeeeeally glad I bought a Sony Z3 instead of waiting for the upcoming phones. It's nearly perfect and is easily better than any HTC/Motorola/Samsung I've owned. Not having the Z3/Z3C on your list of top phones immediately invalidates said list.

But that would defeat the purpose of posting every few pages about how the 2013 Moto X is (and always will be) the Only Correct Purchase

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Actually, the Galaxy S6 is the only correct purchase.

In a twist that will surprise no one, the Tylt car charger is too wide to secure the phone.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 31, 2015

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

this_is_hard posted:

But that would defeat the purpose of posting every few pages about how the 2013 Moto X is (and always will be) the Only Correct Purchase

Well, it's the one true budget purchase on AT&T, anyway (only supports two of T-Mobile's three LTE bands if that's how you roll, but at $299 for 32GB Developer Edition there are worse fates).

Speaking of: I wonder why Sony's reportedly going with the 810 in the Z4. I mean, if anyone can manage it they can, but it's a curious decision to make knowing its thermal issues.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
I saw a deal for the Note 4 on eBay Daily Deals, but that version didn't have LTE radios. Why would Samsung do that to people?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="443481231"]
I saw a deal for the Note 4 on eBay Daily Deals, but that version didn't have LTE radios. Why would Samsung do that to people?

Because it's intended for Europe and Europe-like places which were* still dealing with HSPA+ a lot, because Japan and China have weird mobile systems and the global south is all-caps COMPLICATED, and if you're American or Canadian and don't go through your carrier then :911:you're an enemy of the state or something:canada:.

*Keep in mind that the Note 4 was already probably deep in development when the Note 3 was released.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

thebushcommander posted:

I guess the question is, which do I want more out of the two. On one hand the edge is gimmicky even though the contact edge looks neat and if you look at the phone horizontally from the bottom it looks cool, but it it worth $100 dollars. Battery life across 4 different reviews all seem to indicate similar results, so it's not just The Verge at the moment, but as long as it last as longer than my m7 I'll be happy and considering I have 3 drat Tylt Vu's purchased at random times when they were on sale even though I don't have a phone capable of wireless charging I should have power available anywhere I need it the most!

Apparently the Edge is awkward to hold without always prodding the screen with your palm, so you might want to consider that

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

FistEnergy posted:

It's almost as if RZA Encryption hypoberlizes so much that his posts are entirely meaningless as a rule, or something to that effect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
In loving my droid turbo as well. Seeing as how performance degraded on my old note 2 and all this talk about upgrades, is there a way to turn them off entirely? Whatever benefits lollipop may have, I don't care.

Also I miss my settings button so much.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Actually, the Galaxy S6 is the only correct purchase.

In a twist that will surprise no one, the Tylt car charger is too wide to secure the phone.

Works fine on my N6, what are you doing wrong

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

nerve posted:

Works fine on my N6, what are you doing wrong

The N6 is a phablet, the Galaxy S6 is merely a "large" phone, and the Edge makes it really thin on the edges (remember how the Tylt arms slant in?)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know what to do about a persistent voice mail notification? I use Google Voice and never get messages sent to my carrier mail. I have, however, checked both Voice and my carrier (Cricket) mail and I have no new voice messages.

It's gotten so bad that I had to uninstall Light Flow because it constantly saw that notification and kept flashing the light 24/7. The app running so long made the battery worse than what it already is (Nexus 4).

I don't have to root to fix this, do I? :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Camera samples. Galaxy S6 #1 vs Note 4 #2.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what to do about a persistent voice mail notification? I use Google Voice and never get messages sent to my carrier mail. I have, however, checked both Voice and my carrier (Cricket) mail and I have no new voice messages.

It's gotten so bad that I had to uninstall Light Flow because it constantly saw that notification and kept flashing the light 24/7. The app running so long made the battery worse than what it already is (Nexus 4).

I don't have to root to fix this, do I? :v:
Either you get the carrier to fix it or you find a way to block the notification. Blocking the notification in any useful way will require root unless you don't want the dialer to ever provide a notification of any kind as far as I know.

The best thing to do is fix the problem and for that you'll need Cricket's help.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also you could have just turned off voicemail notifications in Light Flow instead of uninstalling the entire thing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If Play Services keep going on loving with my battery life, I don't get around wiping the phone, right?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

If Play Services keep going on loving with my battery life, I don't get around wiping the phone, right?
I guess if it's always high then yeah but it's been my experience that after a day of really hammering things it goes away. Seems like it's always after I've done something like apply an update but occasionally it's just out of the blue and goes away with a restart.

I have a pet theory, and it's just that--a theory, that it only runs away like that when the user disables a bunch of poo poo like high accuracy location and then an app just will not settle for a rough location. That wouldn't apply to me but it would explain why it really affects some users while not affecting others. Considering it really only provides a lot of APIs and manages location poo poo it would make sense that it's an app hammering it that causes it run amok and therefore why it's what shows up in your consumption list, because it's Play Services that is handling the request.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Camera samples. Galaxy S6 #1 vs Note 4 #2.

Waterproofing looking good

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Try uninstalling updates and clearing cache to Play Services first.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Either you get the carrier to fix it or you find a way to block the notification. Blocking the notification in any useful way will require root unless you don't want the dialer to ever provide a notification of any kind as far as I know.

The best thing to do is fix the problem and for that you'll need Cricket's help.

Yeeah. I guess I'll call em later today.

Tunga posted:

Also you could have just turned off voicemail notifications in Light Flow instead of uninstalling the entire thing.

I need it for work though. :v: I'll call Cricket and see what they can do though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

I need it for work though.
You needed Light Flow uninstalled for work? I'm not following.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Tunga posted:

You needed Light Flow uninstalled for work? I'm not following.

Thermophysical needs voicemail notifications for work, so turning off the voicemail notification box in lightflow is not an acceptable solution.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In a sort of "anti April Fools'" joke, Motorola is oince again offering a discount on off-contract Moto X phone's ordered trough their Motomaker website:
https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

You can even sign up to get a code tha is valid until the 15th if you're hesitant about pulling the trigger right now.

I'm this close to getting one...I desperately need a new phone, and it's always been a toss between N6 and Moto X...with the cheaper price and not-as-large screen, I'm going to say the Moto X wins.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

DrBouvenstein posted:

In a sort of "anti April Fools'" joke, Motorola is oince again offering a discount on off-contract Moto X phone's ordered trough their Motomaker website:

You can even sign up to get a code tha is valid until the 15th if you're hesitant about pulling the trigger right now.

I'm this close to getting one...I desperately need a new phone, and it's always been a toss between N6 and Moto X...with the cheaper price and not-as-large screen, I'm going to say the Moto X wins.

:getin:

It's a great phone and $140 off is a great price.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Thermophysical needs voicemail notifications for work, so turning off the voicemail notification box in lightflow is not an acceptable solution.
How does uninstalling Light Flow produce a better result?

I mean, this is a stupid conversation that doesn't really matter and I'm obviously missing something, I'm just intrigued at this point.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

DrBouvenstein posted:

drat, a week after I got one that sucks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

How does uninstalling Light Flow produce a better result?

I mean, this is a stupid conversation that doesn't really matter and I'm obviously missing something, I'm just intrigued at this point.
It doesn't produce a better result but rather produces effectively the same, unacceptable result. He must have voicemail notifications work but would prefer to not have to deal with the light for those notifications while it is stuck on. He chose to uninstall the app rather than simply disable it for voicemail but neither gets him any closer to what he needs.

DrBouvenstein posted:

For me the thing that would push me to the N6 is Qi charging. If that's not a big deal to you then the Moto X is probably the better choice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Double post.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

actionjackson posted:

drat, a week after I got one that sucks

Call them and see if they'll refund you the difference. Or, if you bought from your carrier, return it and buy from Moto.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Just wanted to report that on my Nexus 7 (2012), the latest Lollipop update (5.1) is brilliant. The thing has never been faster.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Ordered. gently caress it getting tired of my Nexus 4, it has occasional sleep of death and drops wi-fi regularly also, and the camera was total poo poo. Plus I dropped it last week and it finally took some damage with some cracking on the back. My wife has even been saying to just get a new phone already. Will lose Qi charging but at least I'll have the fast charger.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Call them and see if they'll refund you the difference. Or, if you bought from your carrier, return it and buy from Moto.

I bought it from AT&T... doubtful I can do that now but I'll check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

actionjackson posted:

I bought it from AT&T... doubtful I can do that now but I'll check.

Don't they have at least a 14 day return policy??