Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

bobbilljim posted:

im "the cool factor"

lol u wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
:negative:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
"some of the benefits of Solar Roadways are very concrete"

it'd work better if it was lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that's the beauty of it, you need a concrete road to start with

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's the beauty of it, you need a concrete road to start with

it's roads all the way down

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

solar roadways is like the oatmeal of kickstarters

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

they had two phases of SBIR, phase 1 covers 6 months, phase 2 covers 2 years. if they got a phase 1 in 2009 they might not have started until the middle of 2010, then after they finish they'd have to apply again and likely not get THAT money until 2012 which neatly brings us into 2014.
their phase 2 was awarded in 2009

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I loving hate this whole thing

this guy is inventing problems just so he can try to solve them, just a giant vanity project. I bet anything he just looked at a highway one day and said "boy this sure is a lot of space, what if it was covered in solar panels? I bet that would be a lot of energy!" and then everything just snowballed from there. you need a magic type of glass or plastic that would stay permanently clear yet retain enough traction for cars to safely move and withstand the constant mechanical and thermal pressures of traffic. and then you need a drainage system to prevent cracks and potholes. and then you need them to be networked so you know if one goes down. then you need modularity for easy repair. then you need connections to the grid. all this so you can have cars drive over pv cells

that's when he started to add all the bs gimmicks. you have the pressure sensitive animal detectors. there are led lane lines that are bright enough to be seen in broad daylight and are networked and controllable as a giant led display. you have rainwater treatment canals. you have heated roads which can melt inches of snow and ice at no net electricity use.

at no point does he consider the cost of anything but the prototype. the specialized skilled labor needed to deploy any part of this system at scale is simply nonexistent. he ignores the futility of deploying pv cells in places that only get a couple months of sunny days a year saying "we got 10% efficiency in idaho, so that's good enough!". he has yet to actually demonstrate the safety or durability of glass roads as he's so fixated on making a complete prototype, buying reams of redundant solar cells, without testing the most important component for feasibility.

he's basically flipped the entire hierarchy of roads on its head. safety and cost effectiveness are coming in as distant finishers to his electronic toy functions.

so wrap around to the beginning. the whole reason solar roadways would be a thing is because it more effectively uses the space of the road. why tackle this first? why not just put more cells on roofs? why not build panel scaffolds alongside highways, where cars don't have to drive on them? because this whole garbage is just one dude's vanity materials project.

it's not retarded. it's disruptive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

their phase 2 was awarded in 2009

welp

that means they didn't do anything for a few years or what?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sweevo posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > YOSPOS > kickstarter: its not retarded. it's disruptive

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

welp

that means they didn't do anything for a few years or what?
the date attached to the blog post with this picture in it is dated one year ago today

three million dollars
they started their indiegogo around may

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sweevo posted:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
disruptardation

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sweevo posted:

anyone who's spent time with retarded people knows that they can be quite disruptive

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

Trig Discipline posted:

anyone who's spent time with retarded people knows that they can be quite disruptive

relevant username :o:

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

three million dollars

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

so he got paid to research how to make himself some power generation+a snow free deck

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

that's not a test platform, that's it. all there wil ever be.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

SOLAR FREAKIN PATIOS

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

they should put greenhouses under roads and grow biofuel crops under them.

now all I need to do is decide between flexible funding or not.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SOLAR FREAKIN PATIOS

there might be a business here for people with more money than sense

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

there might be a business here for people with more money than sense
yeah who would want a covered patio when you can have a semireflective glass one

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Go charge your tablets with 1 amp of power charger

$300,000 raised.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hahhahaha that's giong to start fires when it shorts the contacts against old metal outlet boxes

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Power Prong Technology

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

they dont even have approval for it yet

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I expected something offensively stupid

I was disappointed

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Bloody posted:

I expected something offensively stupid

I was disappointed

but then you posted

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bathrooms*

*Not compatible with GFCI outlets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

good news though! Virginia man finds one neat trick to bypass NEC 2014!

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

:stare:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

are you 'supposed' to draw power off those screws? i don't know poo poo about electrician work

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

those screws are what supplies power to the outlet but you're supposed to, like, screw the wires on, not just bend the wires against them and hope they maintain contact

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

As a Millennial I posted:

bend the wires against them and hope they maintain contact

just curious but how do you think electrical sockets work

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the sockets are meant to have things touching them, unlike the screw terminals, intended to hold down a wire

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot

Bloody posted:

normally the wires are pinched in by the screws, arent they?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bloody posted:

when i installed my outlets i wrapped the wires around the screws and then tightened the screws down onto the wires to clamp them into place, as they were designed to

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it's probably "fine" but i'm not gonna trust my outlets to some Kickstarter Fucker

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no i mean the inside of the sockets, where a couple pieces of bendy metal press themselves against a shaft of metal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like the literal socket part of the socket

• Locked thread