Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ReelBigLizard posted:

It's a good thing superchargers are such low-energy devices, and never explode in a fiery burst of shrapnel. Because as far as I can tell the only way to ride that is with your helmet directly to either side or above it.

yeah it's a terribly unsafe thing to have in the otherwise padded safe room that is motorcycle drag racing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
At what point do you just call that strapping an engine to wheels and finding a crazy gently caress to ride it?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

EightBit posted:

At what point do you just call that strapping an engine to wheels and finding a crazy gently caress to ride it?
In my book, that's the point where "scooter" becomes "motorcycle" :shrug:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

yeah it's a terribly unsafe thing to have in the otherwise padded safe room that is motorcycle drag racing

Supercharger explosions aren't exactly unlikely events in drag racing, most bikes I've seen before have something in between rider and the more explodey parts.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Did I just travel back in time to High School when this poo poo was awesome car stuff?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Supercharger explosions aren't exactly unlikely events in drag racing, most bikes I've seen before have something in between rider and the more explodey parts.

it's usually the gas tank :ssh:

(I'm pretty sure that's a show bike)

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What thread is this?*

*The red Supra is almost awesome.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

How the hell did I miss this last week? :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooFWD5w6pXA

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Motronic posted:

If you can put a Viper motor in a cycle I'm sure someone has SBC'ed one.

I sat on that thing once. Even standing still it's as ridiculous as you can imagine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-JIkjqQuaM

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

i have never seen this before but the sw20 one made my day

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

eyebeem posted:

What thread is this?*

*The red Supra is almost awesome.

This one looks like it's thrown arms up and given up on life.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

EightBit posted:

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Since we're on car game chat I'd to post another post about how pretty BeamNG Drive can be considering it's an unfinished car physics sim.

Oh snap, I forgot I own this. Redownloading now.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Was out at the weekend, and saw this white blob on the distance...

...enhance...

Shame it wasn't running, but nice to see it out and about getting used.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I've seen some pictures of the aftermath of a V-twin dragbike that blew its front cylinder. It smashed through the steering crown and cleanly separated the forks from the rest of the bike.

The rider is lucky it wasn't the rear cylinder, because then it would probably have cleanly separated his torso from his hips.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Re-powered motorcycles chat:

E. J. Potter.

1941-2012, died of old age. :stonklol:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

So, you guys remember that 28.5L Fiat that was being restored?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsdWgmp4TaQ

It's running and driving now :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Christ what a racket. They really ought to bring on a sound guy who can find a way to record that noise without clipping the mics.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

Re-powered motorcycles chat:

E. J. Potter.

1941-2012, died of old age. :stonklol:

that first pic is a transverse mounted first gen Hemi, isn't it

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Pff, anyone can just use one engine!

Team140
Dec 13, 2005

VikingSkull posted:

Nah, I think it's a 409 Chevy actually.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Bringing the bullpen car talk here;

Rise and Fall of the Bullpen Car posted:

While "Pomp and Circumstance" played, star closer and practical joker Sparky Lyle emerged from the Yankee 1200 and handed his jacket to the batboy. Soon he was doing the local "Datsun Saves" commercial.

In '72, Datsun struck a deal with the New York Yankees to promote their cars by using one painted with pin-stripes as the bullpen car. Rat's chewed through some of it's wiring, though, taking it out of service. It was replaced by a Toyota

Another Yank's bullpen car.

Rise and Fall of the Bullpen Car posted:

Even after they switched the bullpen car to a Toyota, Lyle kept doing the Datsun commercials. The announcer could never keep it straight ("Here comes Spah-ky in the Datsun.....I mean, Toyota")

Sometime's they had something a bit classier

Other teams had lesser bullpen car(t)s

The Mariners did a thing the players hated so much the key's were stolen while it was parked on the left-field foul line, delaying the game's start.

I can't find pictures of the White Sox's Chrysler Lebaron, but apparently it existed

ESPN article posted:

1981: The White Sox install a Chrysler LeBaron as their bullpen vehicle. ChiSox fan and Chicago historian Josh Cohen later recalls: "No one ever used it, because who wants to ride in a LeBaron? If the pitcher opted out of the ride, the LeBaron had to do a full lap along the warning track while the pitching change took place. The beer shower that the LeBaron received had to be seen to be believed -- full $3.50 cups came raining out of the upper deck. After about a month of this, they decided to leave the LeBaron on the center-field warning track during the pitching change. The next year, it was gone forever."

stone soup fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 1, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

American sports stuff is bizarre. What is the car on the pitch for...?

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007
you don't want your mega$$$ baseballman to walk all that way, do you?

e: content... got passed by a new Jag (forget the model, haven't kept up with Jaguars lately... reminded me of a BMW M3 though) in this gorgeous cerulean blue with carbon/black trim but the best bit was the sound. Nice and snarly without sounding fat, if that makes any sense.

meatcookie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 31, 2015

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
The car would shuffle a relief pitcher from the bullpen (either of the boxed areas, depending on your team) to the mound (the circle) in the most ridiculous/entertaining/capitalist way possible.

edit; All the recent bullpen car talk is because baseball is exploring ideas on how to reduce the length of a full game.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 31, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wally Joyner posted:

The car would shuffle a relief pitcher from the bullpen (either of the boxed areas, depending on your team) to the mound (the circle) in the most ridiculous/entertaining/capitalist way possible.

But if he's in a car, how does your player start a fight with all members of the opposing team (and some of his own) on each leg of the journey?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

American sports stuff is bizarre. What is the car on the pitch for...?

When they fielding team decides it's time for a new pitcher (bowler), they telephone the bullpen which is often located behind the outfield fence (6 point line). It's an awful long way to saunter/jog/schlep for the new pitcher and takes up valuable buttox slapping and conference time on the pitcher's mound. Also America - why walk when you can drive?

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

InitialDave posted:

But if he's in a car, how does your player start a fight with all members of the opposing team (and some of his own) on each leg of the journey?

Nothing that a quick doughnut infront of the opposing team's bench can't solve.

Apparently there is a bullpen cart chase in the Korean gorilla baseball flick, Mr. Go

edit;
lol

stone soup fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 31, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cars on the field isn't even the most wasteful thing to happen at American sporting events.

We also recruit our armed forces to fly various billion dollar craft over the stadium just as our national anthem reaches crescendo. :911:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VikingSkull posted:

Small block Chevrolet.

He's also known for a series of Allison V-1710 powered drag cars called Nightmare. The V-1710 is a WWII-vintage aircraft engine, commonly found in P-38s, P-39s, P-40s, P-63s, P-82s, and a host of re-engined experimental models.

Note the seating position. A 1710ci V-12 is a bit larger than most automotive engines:

He also built and raced a twin V-1710 powered tractor called Double Ugly.

Apparently, at one point, he fired up a J79 on a shipping pallet in the carport of his house. He was operating the power lever on the fuel control with a pair of vice grips, and blipped the throttle like you would on a piston engine. Except on this engine, it caused a compressor stall, and blew out all the windows of every house on the other side of the street.

He was AI as gently caress.

EDIT: For good measure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUu9P3CKSMI

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Baseball is loving stupid, post more cool car poo poo

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Baseball is loving stupid, post more cool car poo poo

Don't be grumpy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

xzzy posted:

Christ what a racket. They really ought to bring on a sound guy who can find a way to record that noise without clipping the mics.

Assuming that's even possible while you're in the same county.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

The owner of this literally lives like a block from my old house. They won it from Rawlings for something. Plate is "Basebal" or something like that.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
Its a small world

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

xzzy posted:

Cars on the field isn't even the most wasteful thing to happen at American sporting events.

We also recruit our armed forces to fly various billion dollar craft over the stadium just as our national anthem reaches crescendo. :911:

Pfft I never complain about those tax dollars being spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I swear that thing's pissing something out all over the drive in the final shot.

It marked its territory.