Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Appropriate thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Fiero?

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
From my hometown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SMY89peBrc

:lol:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

some texas redneck posted:

10 kmh = a little over 6 mph. Cops usually don't bother you (outside of school zones) for less than 5 mph over where I'm at, though I try to stay within 3 mph.

I stopped speeding when I got popped for 105 in a 55 (MPH) years ago. Empty highway and running late to work on Christmas Eve is my only excuse, and I got cussed out for a solid 5 minutes on the side of the road, but got let go without a ticket (but caught my drivers license with my eye when he threw it back into the car).

Wasn't there a goon who got a speeding ticket in his Volvo 850 for going 148 in a 65 zone or something similar?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Christ, that guy didn't seem to take his foot off the gas at all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

mik posted:

From my hometown

:lol:

:stare:

Did it never occur to the driver that at some point it makes more sense to just hit the brakes, reset, and try again instead of keeping the throttle down?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Did it never occur to the driver that at some point it makes more sense to just hit the brakes, reset, and try again instead of keeping the throttle down?

Or, you know, just take your foot off the gas for a second.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
*is a bro that doesn't lift*

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

WHEN IN DOUBT, FLAT OUT!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, can't have any of that lift-off oversteer causing wrecks now can we?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The Stig, he ain't.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Literally drove the wheels off it

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

And they are listening to thrift shop lol

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Those belts are good for killing yourself.

The only company that makes a proper 4-pt harness is Schroth.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

dissss posted:

My mate drove an old WA plated Falcon wagon in Melbourne for many years - apparently you aren't supposed to do that but the cops left him well alone.

Speedcameras over in NZ are getting quite nasty now - my mum got two (5 and 6 over) in the same day off a new camera.

First time I drove into vic (1999), I was chased by a WRX cop car in Warnabool. Not chased exactly, but they did a u turn behind me an I lost him before he could get behind me with lights on. I had just got a fine from the NSW cops and wasn't in the mood for another, so took a few fast turns and parked in a busy car park and legged it.
Sat on a park bench watching this WRX cop car cruise up and down the road looking for me. Anyway, point is they singled me out in a bunch of traffic probably due to my WA plates I think, so it's of no benefit to have out of state plates imo.
That's my story on how an EA falcon can outrun a WRX :lol:

Speed camera aren't nice in WA either, you will get done for 5km/hr over, but speed cameras aren't everywhere. There's about 10+ fixed (they are not signed), 3 freeway, the rest on traffic lights with a red light camera, and a whole bunch of mobile ones. The mobile ones are usually in the same areas and they advertise what (of the regular) streets they are going to be on every day.
Only speeding fine I've had in 15 years* was 2 years ago, school zone but I wasn't sure if school was in session after holidays yet. No one around, but I slowed down anyway while trying to remember the school calender. School zones start 7.30AM, and it was 7.35AM; some school zones have flashing lights when in session, but most don't and this one didn't. Got done for 45km/hr in a 40 zone, $75 and no points.

e: *I've been driving for longer but got three fines between 20 and 15 years ago.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 31, 2015

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Neptr posted:

Those belts are good for killing yourself.

The only company that makes a proper 4-pt harness is Schroth.

So do you mind learnin' me on why those belts are so horrible safety-wise?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

nitrogen posted:

The Schroths (and some under license, I think Takatas included) have anti-submarining geometry built into them. Otherwise you want a five or greater point restraint.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

nitrogen posted:

he has the seatbelts just looped around the roll bar, so they freely move side to side and do nothing but probably injure you in a collision. in addition he's trying to install a harness with an adjustable back seat. and 4 point harnesses are inherently dangerous because there's nothing to stop you from sliding downward. there's many levels of wrong with this picture.

edit: its also funnier if you know e30's because he spent at least $500 on the houndstooth interior, and he's cutting corners with safety equipment.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 31, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Schroths (and some under license, I think Takatas included) have anti-submarining geometry built into them. Otherwise you want a five or greater point restraint.

The anti-subarining thing is actually kinda neat. There's a plastic box molded around one of the shoulder belts with a few extra inches of belt wrapped up inside. In a crash, the plastic breaks/compresses somehow, and one of your shoulders moves forward a little bit. I think, but do not remember, that the belts are sold such that both driver and passenger rotate inboard.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

HEY VAPER posted:

he has the seatbelts just looped around the roll bar, so they freely move side to side and do nothing but probably injure you in a collision.

That is how you mount shoulder straps. Using shoulder harnesses on oem style seats is dumb because of the reason you mentioned though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This is a good read about harnesses and proper mounting:

http://english.schroth.com/download/EA_8-2__2014-11.pdf

from page 18

quote:

In case of a wrap around installation to a roll bar make sure the transversal positioning of the shoulder straps is permanently secured by some means, e.g. FIA
Standard 8857 - 2001 like rollbar padding, hose clamps or similar devices.

My opinion is that you either use the stock 3 point and safety system, or go all the way in with a roll bar (preferably a cage but a 4-pt bar is acceptable and keeps the roof from collapsing on you when you are held upright in the seat), 6-point, and hans. Nothing inbetween.

jamal fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 31, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

jamal posted:

My opinion is that you either use the stock 3 point and safety system, or go all the way in with a roll bar (preferably a cage but a 4-pt bar is acceptable and keeps the roof from collapsing on you when you are held upright in the seat), 6-point, and hans. Nothing inbetween.

What if your stock stuff is a lap belt and a bench seat?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Raluek posted:

What if your stock stuff is a lap belt and a bench seat?

Getcha a Schroth if you really want, but attach the shoulder straps to the rear lap belt mounts.

e. Also, if you don't have head rests, you might want to do something about whiplash.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

FatCow posted:

That is how you mount shoulder straps. Using shoulder harnesses on oem style seats is dumb because of the reason you mentioned though.

typically you do SOMETHING to stop them from moving side to side, whether it be hose clamps, welding tabs onto the bar etc. and this only stops the harness from moving side to side on the bar, the harness will still slip off his shoulders without a seat that has pass-thrus. the guy talks about how it chokes him out when he turns sharply in the facebook thread i pulled that from. he also ignored everyone who told him its a death trap and kept whining about how he only wants to hear comments about the aesthetics. oh also its a street car.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 1, 2015

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HEY VAPER posted:

typically you do SOMETHING to stop them from moving side to side, whether it be hose clamps, welding tabs onto the bar etc. and this only stops the harness from moving side to side on the bar, the harness will still slip off his shoulders without a seat that has pass-thrus. the guy talks about how it chokes him out when he turns sharply in the facebook thread i pulled that from. he also ignored everyone who told him its a death trap and kept whining about how he only wants to hear comments about the aesthetics. oh also its a street car.

You follow the R3V fb group, too? It's a cesspool of stupidity and retardation. Sometimes I wonder why I still follow it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

charliemonster42 posted:

You follow the R3V fb group, too? It's a cesspool of stupidity and retardation. Sometimes I wonder why I still follow it.

Because watching trainwrecks is fun?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Safety Dance posted:

Getcha a Schroth if you really want, but attach the shoulder straps to the rear lap belt mounts.

e. Also, if you don't have head rests, you might want to do something about whiplash.

What do you do if your car has no mounting points for a lapbelt, or 3 point, and no headrest, and a giant spike connecting the steering wheel to the steering box?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

veedubfreak posted:

What do you do if your car has no mounting points for a lapbelt, or 3 point, and no headrest, and a giant spike connecting the steering wheel to the steering box?

Probably sell it for scrap.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
Did the shocks on my daily over the weekend. The rear shock is pretty terrible in my experience

See that big bracket in the middle of the shock? The brake line goes through that. Notice how there is no slot in that bracket? Yep, gotta open up the brake lines to replace the shock. Why do I have to drain and flush the brake system to change the shocks?!

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

charliemonster42 posted:

Beach Bum posted:

Because watching trainwrecks is fun?

it amazes me how dumb r3v facebook is when the actual r3v forums are shockingly not bad for a car forum
e: some guy is trying to defend this safety setup now :allears:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Brigdh posted:

Did the shocks on my daily over the weekend. The rear shock is pretty terrible in my experience

See that big bracket in the middle of the shock? The brake line goes through that. Notice how there is no slot in that bracket? Yep, gotta open up the brake lines to replace the shock. Why do I have to drain and flush the brake system to change the shocks?!

Can't you just cut the bracket?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Brigdh posted:

Is this a Suabru? When I did mine I just cut a slot in the bracket. Dumbass design on their part when they could have just used a slot in the first place.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

Can't you just cut the bracket?

Instead of bleeding the brakes you want him to buy new brake lines?

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

Instead of bleeding the brakes you want him to buy new brake lines?

GeirskogulFart Pipe understood what I meant.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

HEY VAPER posted:

it amazes me how dumb r3v facebook is when the actual r3v forums are shockingly not bad for a car forum
e: some guy is trying to defend this safety setup now :allears:

It's *awful*. I can't believe the questions people post in there expecting people to answer them. poo poo that 30 seconds with google would answer, probably from the actual R3V forums, too.

Sometimes I abuse these people.

I'm the terrible car stuff, aren't I :ohdear:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Fart Pipe posted:

Is this a Suabru? When I did mine I just cut a slot in the bracket. Dumbass design on their part when they could have just used a slot in the first place.

'97 Toyota Corolla. I cut a slot in the new shocks.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Not sure which thread this should go in, hedging my bets with here.

Source: Ebay

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

AirRaid posted:

Not sure which thread this should go in, hedging my bets with here.

Source: Ebay

I may be biased, but if that is built properly, that is in the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thats cool if well built but it must have the turning radius of the Eisenhower.