Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
My wrists are very effeminate, thin, and hairless, so I am incredibly happy Apple made a child-sized version. I would probably have difficulty lifting my wrist if I had the Moto 360 strapped to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Reverse Centaur posted:

My watch is bigger than the 360 and it would look silly if it was any smaller. People are different sizes and I'm not especially huge. I just took this pic

Not trying to poo poo on you or anything but I can't help but lol at the bezel on that thing every time I see it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Not trying to poo poo on you or anything but I can't help but lol at the bezel on that thing every time I see it.

Hey man sometimes I forget where the 45 minute mark is ok

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Spatule posted:

I agree with nearly everything you said (No GPS on the first iPhone, what the gently caress), at this point Apple could poo poo in most people's mouth and they would say it tastes like chocolate (see, the new macbook).

But the bands are an upgrade over traditional ones: you can swap them easily. Sometimes I wish this was possible with my normal non-smart watch.

You sure do get angry about a company who puts out products that people seem to like. Maybe you need a vacation or something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

You sure do get angry about a company who puts out products that people seem to like. Maybe you need a vacation or something.

lol, you really showed that guy that posted 10 days ago about how he likes the watch bands Apple is making

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
If apple honestly gave a poo poo about their customers their "sport" model wouldn't be of less quality than their standard model. Of all the models that should be the "toughest," shouldn't the sport be the most rugged and able to hold up to abuse? But no, they decided to make it from lesser materials and water resistant and oh need to be tethered to your phone to do anything sporty. Enjoy your swim!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
y'all are seriously being a bunch of fuckboys about this watch. they fuckin' you.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

rear end Catchcum posted:

If apple honestly gave a poo poo about their customers their "sport" model wouldn't be of less quality than their standard model. Of all the models that should be the "toughest," shouldn't the sport be the most rugged and able to hold up to abuse? But no, they decided to make it from lesser materials and water resistant and oh need to be tethered to your phone to do anything sporty. Enjoy your swim!

It's less sport as in "I kill mountain lions with my bare hands for sport" and more "hey there sport, want a lollipop?"

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

y'all are seriously being a bunch of fuckboys about this watch. they fuckin' you.

You are hilarious. Please tell me what other consumer electronics get your panties in a bunch.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
guys, I'm right there with you. I've had the apple kool aid. I've had an iPhone since the 1st one. The difference is I learned my lesson. My eyes are open and I'm seeing critically. Apple is not giving you all they could. I think they even just released a statement saying that next year App developers will be able to make apps that work without the phone. They are basically blatantly telling you this generation isn't all it could be, even when it could. They purposely hinder their devices so they can premiere a "Better and Bigger than Ever!" the year after. Wake up.

This isn't Steve's Apple. This is Tim's.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Appleghazi :freep:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

guys, I'm right there with you. I've had the apple kool aid. I've had an iPhone since the 1st one. The difference is I learned my lesson. My eyes are open and I'm seeing critically. Apple is not giving you all they could. I think they even just released a statement saying that next year App developers will be able to make apps that work without the phone. They are basically blatantly telling you this generation isn't all it could be, even when it could. They purposely hinder their devices so they can premiere a "Better and Bigger than Ever!" the year after. Wake up.

Are you seriously angry that Apple releases a newer, better device year over year? Did you know? The third Apple Watch will be better than the one next year!

I'm not buying one in any case, but you seem to not understand that next year will always be better.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Steve's Apple: the Apple that put every feature in the first year (regardless of the steady advance of technology) and then never updated anything. I still remember there only being a single iPhone model available until Steve died.

Then Tim "Put out new models to improve our products for our customers" Cook took over and started screwing us over by releasing a better phone every year. I bet they'll release a better watch at some point too!! :bahgawd:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I feel like you people are purposefully ignoring what I'm saying. I'm saying Apple is purposefully holding features back and short changing their customers, MOST glaringly with this Watch.

There are features they could very easily put in right now, but are holding back for later models, which pretty much means they're ripping you off. And if that's a company you want to keep supporting, that's fine, but as technology gets cheaper and cheaper, they will have competitors that challenge them and not be too far off, which hasn't been the case in the past.

Why is the Sport the least sporty?

Why is the battery life a joke?

Why is the base model as much as unlocked iPhone?

Why do I have to use their straps?

Because they a bunch of assholes and you a bunch a fuckboys.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Are you seriously angry that Apple releases a newer, better device year over year? Did you know? The third Apple Watch will be better than the one next year!

I'm not buying one in any case, but you seem to not understand that next year will always be better.

Unless you buy an HTC phone :mmmhmm:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I feel like you people are purposefully ignoring what I'm saying. I'm saying Apple is purposefully holding features back and short changing their customers, MOST glaringly with this Watch.

There are features they could very easily put in right now, but are holding back for later models, which pretty much means they're ripping you off. And if that's a company you want to keep supporting, that's fine, but as technology gets cheaper and cheaper, they will have competitors that challenge them and not be too far off, which hasn't been the case in the past.

I'm ignoring what you're saying because your either an immature troll or someone who is needlessly and embarrassingly wrapped up in what other people buy. I don't know which is worse, but either way you aren't contributing anything to this thread.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

The sport model is the cheapest and therefore the best model for people who want it exclusively as a fitness tracker. It's not marketed as "rugged" and definitely not as a swimming watch, so I'm not really sure what you're rambling about.

The battery lasts a day. It's relatively short because the watch is so small compared to a phone, and it does a lot more than any other "smart" watch released so far can so it uses more battery. The next model they release will most likely have better battery life because of advances in battery technology and because of the other components getting smaller, allowing a slightly bigger battery.

The standard model is expensive because it's a high end product made of premium materials aimed at people who can afford it. If you can't then get the entry level Sporr model. Or whine here like a little girl endlessly.

There are already third party straps available, you don't have to use their straps.

Seriously it's kinda sad how much you're angry about this. I can't wait to preorder mine in a week or so. I'm getting the black leather loop and ordering a green sports strap for when I exercise too :swoon:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

monkeu posted:

The standard model is expensive because it's a high end product made of premium materials

Actually 316l steel is normal for most watches, and sapphire really isn't that uncommon in low/mid range watches starting around 400-500ish.

The standard model is made from pretty standard materials in all reality.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone needs to stop responding to him or ignore his posts.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

The sport model is the cheapest and therefore the best model for people who want it exclusively as a fitness tracker. It's not marketed as "rugged" and definitely not as a swimming watch, so I'm not really sure what you're rambling about.

Sports generally require a certain level of "ruggedness", so it probably shouldn't have the word sport attached to it.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

Actually 316l steel is normal for most watches, and sapphire really isn't that uncommon in low/mid range watches starting around 400-500ish.

The same stuff Tag Heurs or whatever are made out of?

Super Dude posted:

Sports generally require a certain level of "ruggedness", so it probably shouldn't have the word sport attached to it.

Someone should let Fitbit know. Their fitness trackers are made out of plastic or some poo poo. I'm pretty sure aluminum is a bit harder than that :confused:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

monkeu posted:

I'd be surprised if they sold any watches that weren't available with 316l and sapphire, with the exception of precious metals or vintage style watches. However you don't even have to go that far up market, there are Seikos with sapphire and 316l for around 400-500.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

I'd be surprised if they sold any watches that weren't available with 316l and sapphire, with the exception of precious metals or vintage style watches. However you don't even have to go that far up market, there are Seikos with sapphire and 316l for around 400-500.

Yeah I'm wearing a stainless steel and sapphire Seiko right now that cost more than the Apple Watch I'll be ordering next week. And it doesn't do poo poo except tell the time!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
On the other hand, I'm wearing a Titanium, Sapphire, Atomic, Perpetual Calendar Citizen watch that is solar powered and won't need a battery replacement for a decade or longer. It cost me $299!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

bobfather posted:

On the other hand, I'm wearing a Titanium, Sapphire, Atomic, Perpetual Calendar Citizen watch that is solar powered and won't need a battery replacement for a decade or longer. It cost me $299!

I guess there's more to the cost of something than just the straight value of its materials then. Hmmm.

At the end of the day if you can't afford a premium product then Apple products in general probably aren't for you.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

monkeu posted:

Someone should let Fitbit know. Their fitness trackers are made out of plastic or some poo poo. I'm pretty sure aluminum is a bit harder than that :confused:
Hardness is not the only measure of "ruggedness" which, other than using things like waterproofness and dustproofness, don't really have objective measures (and hardness is probably a bad one since it really only tells you if things will scratch, when that's not necessarily the biggest concern when you want something to continue functioning). I'll grant that the Fitbit Charge HR I'm wearing at the moment definitely fails at the former (as they outright state) and probably fails at the latter, but it has nothing to do with the hardness of plastic vs. aluminum.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

monkeu posted:

Plastics in many many many situations are better for durability than aluminum.

blugu64 posted:

Anymore you can get "premium" watch materials in watches in the $150+ range.

The Apple Watch may well be a fine device, but Apple is putting an unusually large number of screws to the wallet this time.

monkeu posted:

At the end of the day if you can't afford a premium product then Apple products in general probably aren't for you.

That just explained a lot!

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahah so I'm going to assume you're posting from a netbook running Linux and wearing a piece of rope for a belt, since apparently paying more for superior user experience, features, build quality and aesthetic design is a weird concept for you :laugh:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

:downs:

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 2, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

IuniusBrutus posted:

No, but if you equate "I don't think this is a good value/they should be giving more" with "I can't afford this" then it sounds like something else is afoot.

Of course something else is afoot, and it's funny to watch.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
if you want a nice smart watch but don't care about fashion, buy the sport

if you want a nice smart watch and like fashion and fancy looking things, buy the regular.

the fact that fashion/jewelry pricing had zero basis on actual worth of the time/materials in the product is not news.

if you don't like apple and are going to poo poo on anything apple related, why the gently caress are you in this thread?

this thread sucks.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

monkeu posted:

I guess there's more to the cost of something than just the straight value of its materials then. Hmmm.

Where's the guy who was insisting half a dozen posts up that the reason the Apple Watch was priced the way it was because of its expensive premium materials? Is he tied up in the closet right now?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Smart Watches are a dumb idea really
no u

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

you can get "premium" watch materials in watches in the $150+ range.

The Apple Watch may well be a fine device, but Apple is putting an unusually large number of screws to the wallet this time.

Yeah that's all I was pointing out, they're not bad materials, they're just not anything special either.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

The Insect Court posted:

Where's the guy who was insisting half a dozen posts up that the reason the Apple Watch was priced the way it was because of its expensive premium materials? Is he tied up in the closet right now?

My actual words were "it's a high end product made of premium materials aimed at people who can afford it" and I was talking specifically about the price of the regular edition compared to the Sport. So yes, in that situation obviously the materials are a factor in the price difference. You have trouble with reading comprehension huh?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monkeu posted:

My actual words were "it's a high end product made of premium materials aimed at people who can afford it" and I was talking specifically about the price of the regular edition compared to the Sport. So yes, in that situation obviously the materials are a factor in the price difference. You have trouble with reading comprehension huh?

The regular edition? Isn't that the $10k one?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

RVProfootballer posted:

The regular edition? Isn't that the $10k one?
Regular "version".

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Yeah sorry, I meant the regular version. Poor choice of words.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monkeu posted:

Yeah sorry, I meant the regular version. Poor choice of words.

Not by you though, haha :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Totally new product lineup by apple looking to take over the industry - turns out to be expensive off the bat - news at 11

Anyone remember the iPod? IPhone? Par for the course you morons

• Locked thread