Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Has anyone here used or played against Necron Acanthrites? They seem like a pretty cool unit and I'm always happy to add more Canoptek stuff to my collection but it'd be interesting to see if they play like hot garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

I like the Plastic Helbrute kit's options but the final model itself is just so boring compared to the DV Helbrute, which has a much more dynamic pose but suffers from lower detail in spots. I'd have much preferred if they had given us a Helbrute kit without static waddle legs again. The one upside to the old metal Chaos dread was that you could just bend his legs at the knees to create other poses.

Agreed. I got excited when I saw the kit because with all the bits and options it looked like the thing would go together in more than one pose. I hadn't thought to bash it and the DV one together. Yours look awesome and have motivated me to finish mine.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Fuegan posted:

Has anyone here used or played against Necron Acanthrites? They seem like a pretty cool unit and I'm always happy to add more Canoptek stuff to my collection but it'd be interesting to see if they play like hot garbage.

Fast shooty unit in a very shooty army... wraiths occupy a solid niche in that they're fast combat units and are pretty tough. The flying variants lack the combat punch and have decent shooting but really you're probably better off with Tomb Blades.

They aren't bad but they compete with some very good units.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

AbusePuppy posted:

A couple of reasons. They are 100% reliant on getting the charge- without it, they are worthless garbage in a fight. That means against a similarly-fast opponent, they will be in a very awkward place, and even if they charge a unit and wipe it out, they are likely to get charged in turn and cut to pieces. (An Exarch with Hit and Run helps, but does not wholly solve the problem.) Compounding that, even when charging they are decent, but not amazing- S6 AP3 is very nice, but WS4 and only one attack base is a big detractor. Lastly, they have only middling survivability for their cost, and especially this edition that can be a big problem because most shooting armies are throwing around a lot of firepower. And, of course, there's the fact that they inexplicably don't have grenades despite being a melee unit that relies heavily on striking first.

I don't think I would call them "bad" per se, at least not now (they used to be a lot worse), but they are definitely somewhat uninspiring compared to the other FA aspect warrior choices.

Well summed up. Oddly they have got better since last edition (35 pts, skilled rider was an upgrade and no outflank fwiw) which was far better than the unusable 3rd ed rules (50(!) pts, laser lance was something pointless like a single S5AP5 shot resolved before charging, no H&R) but they have never been actually good. Currently shining spears are usable in casual play, against non-competitive armies they will get the chance to charge sometimes and will kill things if the target is chosen right and the dice hold up. Where they fall down is against competitive armies full of hard targets and efficient shooting.

Beyond the points cost and limited attacks, I think the biggest problem is the impact weapons rule. 1 phase, and only if you charge them, is just not enough to accomplish things. And the reliance on the 1W exarch for H&R just exacerbates this. Even if your opponents fielded good targets for them to attack, you are basically vulnerable to both shooting and assault, a rarity for elite close combat units.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

TheChirurgeon posted:

PREVIOUSLY ON THE CHIRURGEON'S BLACK LEGION ARMY:

I'd been sitting on a plastic Helbrute kit for too long, so I decided it was time to paint that pigfucker:

And then I was like "hey I've got this other DV Helbrute around, I may as well do some conversion work and paint up a third one:"

Now I have enough for a whole dumb Murderblooddeathpack formation! WOOOOOOOO EAT poo poo, LOYALISTS!

to recap: if you are a loyalist, eat poo poo tia

These look great man!

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

holy poo poo that's a lot of terrain for $150, thanks mantic

space marine included for scale

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Drake_263 posted:

Crossposting from the miniatures thread

Finally finished a project I've had sitting around for ages - apologies for the photo quality, my good smartphone broke ages back and I'm stuck with a tablet with a potato camera:

Still missing water transfer decals and varnishes.

I sort of had this thing sitting around in my projects box for ages and when I finally got around to it, I realized I'd lost the pilot - so I ended up painting the canopy solid. I think I prefer it this way, though, and I have a preowned Storm Raven I'll have to do the same for, so it's keeping up the theme.

Meanwhile, my next project is going to be interesting:

These aren't getting enough love. Those flames are awesome and the saturation across your color palette works really well. You should totes invest in a better camera/lighting setup though. Really do that painting justice.

Also I agree on the canopy, it makes it cartoony, but in a good way that matches your flames. Well done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What exactly is all that ? You said it's terrain but of what buildings?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TKIY posted:

Best pic of the Onager so far:

I'm not seeing how it could be a transport :/

The gun on the right one just looks like a special autocannon, but whatever that gun is on the left one looks neat.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

I played farseer summoning again last night. Still awesome.

My favorite part is when the other guy starts chasing my Farseer around the table with a unit and I'm like "hey brah guess what its psychic shriek time" and wipe out the unit. So next time they send TWO units to hunt it down, and then I Turbo 36" away from them and laugh.

Eldar are the ultimate "gently caress you, I'm not gonna play your game" army.

Fuegan posted:

Until Wraiths got updated, they were pretty much 100% better than Wraiths. They're still pretty good, but end up serving a slightly different role; with multiple Entropic Rending attacks (albeit only at S4), they are still pretty decent in melee, though they lack the ability to swing at I5 and ignore all terrain like Wraiths do (since they are merely jump infantry.) On the other hand, they come with a S6 AP2 melta weapon stock, which can do a LOT of damage on the way in and is one of the few low-AP weapons in the Necron arsenal. Survivability-wise, they are often better against shooting, as they have a third wound compared to their cousins and Stealth generally means a 3+ cover save, but lacking an invuln in CC means they can't take on heavy hitters the way Wraiths do.

All in all, I'd put them about on par with Wraiths in terms of performance, though they are slightly more expensive and can't be taken as part of the Decurion or any other formations. But if you want some different stuff to mix up in your army, they are a very solid choice with some unique features.

Genghis Cohen posted:

Beyond the points cost and limited attacks, I think the biggest problem is the impact weapons rule. 1 phase, and only if you charge them, is just not enough to accomplish things. And the reliance on the 1W exarch for H&R just exacerbates this. Even if your opponents fielded good targets for them to attack, you are basically vulnerable to both shooting and assault, a rarity for elite close combat units.

Yeah, I think they should have HnR naturally (instead of Outflank, which is useless when you can't assault out of reserves and have a 48" movement) and come with Shuriken Pistols (so they're getting A2 base)- that would make them at least decent, even if not amazing. I really, really want there to be a decent Eldar close-assault unit, but the lack of open-topped transports and principles they're designed on makes it almost impossible. The Wraithknight only succeeds because Wraithstuff are allowed to blatantly violate the rest of the Eldar design ethos.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hollismason posted:

What exactly is all that ? You said it's terrain but of what buildings?

this + 1.5*this

e: would be like $260, was $150 through the adepticon deal

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

The gun on the right one just looks like a special autocannon, but whatever that gun is on the left one looks neat.

IIRC, it's like a conversion beamer but in reverse. Large weak blast at range, shorter stronger shot up close. They are supposed to have overlapping shields which increase their invulnerable save when they are close together.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

My favorite part is when the other guy starts chasing my Farseer around the table with a unit and I'm like "hey brah guess what its psychic shriek time" and wipe out the unit. So next time they send TWO units to hunt it down, and then I Turbo 36" away from them and laugh.

Eldar are the ultimate "gently caress you, I'm not gonna play your game" army.

Word.

So question for you Mr. SummoningPuppy. What do you roll for when bringing the summoner? I know you tend to use summoning as your kroot line where I am using it as a back field objective buriers but in the two games I played I threw all my dice at Malefic because Sacrifice and Incursion, I guess? I suppose Shriek is pretty rad but div/fate don't really matter to me because I have nothing to buff.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

TheChirurgeon posted:

to recap: if you are a loyalist, eat poo poo tia

Black Legion Dread supremaceeee

Furthermore, I have a Horus Heresy: Drop Assault silver card thingy with a code on it, if anybody plays that iPhone game. Here you go.

KNA6XP6MTPJA

Reynold fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 1, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

this + 1.5*this

e: would be like $260, was $150 through the adepticon deal

Oh wow that's pretty impressive.

Anyone else notice that the new Mechicanum Walkers look very very similar to a Defiler. Thought that was neat.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Naramyth posted:

Word.

So question for you Mr. SummoningPuppy. What do you roll for when bringing the summoner? I know you tend to use summoning as your kroot line where I am using it as a back field objective buriers but in the two games I played I threw all my dice at Malefic because Sacrifice and Incursion, I guess? I suppose Shriek is pretty rad but div/fate don't really matter to me because I have nothing to buff.

I've tried rolling all my dice on Maelific, but I usually find that to be lackluster because I don't have a lot of guys to knock off for Sacrifice (really just 2x5 Dragons and 2x5 Avengers, all of whom want to stay inside their tanks) and Possession is sort of defeating the purpose. Incursion is a great spell, of course, but you can't really be consistent in getting it, so I tend to split my powers up a bit. Fate/Divination have some specific things that can be really good under the right circumstances- for example, Eldritch Storm and Doom are both really clutch against Knights- but Telepathy is my go-to second discipline.

Typically the process is something like this: roll on Maelific, and anything that isn't Cursed Earth/Incursion gets thrown away for Summoning (those two I'll consider keeping, but it's not a given- and even if I do take them, I'll always roll once more for Summoning.) Once that's done, I move over to Telepathy and roll once, with Shrouding, Invisibility, and sometimes Terrify being worth keeping- otherwise, once again, swap out for Shriek. If I have a power left, I'll consider rolling on Divination or Fate, but most typically the last one goes into Telepathy again.

Basically, the goal is to end up with Summoning, Psychic Shriek, and one other good power. I stick to those four disciplines because they all have Primaris powers that are good enough that I won't be sad if I have to take them- that is, in a lot of cases, the defining feature of a good discipline. Summoning and Shriek both provide me with a strong close-in defense, which the army otherwise lacks, and the possibility of getting 4+/2+ cover saves for my Serpents without needing to Jink, being able to scoot an enemy unit off the table, being able to protect an otherwise-vulnerable Serpent from shooting, etc, gives a lot of good potential from other powers. However, since Summoning really needs 5-7 dice thrown at it (even with the -1 Warp Charge) in order to succeed consistently, I often find that I don't have much left for other powers unless I've rolled well that turn.

Admittedly, not everyone plays the Summonseer the way I do; Ben Cromwell, one of my good buddies and a very strong player, attaches him to a unit of Shadow Weavers and rolls all on Maelific hoping for Incursion, as that lets him bring down Screamers to easily reach into the enemy's backfield and harass them. I very much prefer the mobility of being free to tool around where I like while protected by Mantle of the Laughing God, however.

AbusePuppy fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 1, 2015

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Naramyth posted:

I know you are being a dink but you can charge what you can't hurt.

Maybe that was 6th edition? I thought there was a rule saying that at least one model must be able to hurt the vehicle being charged, mainly to avoid using vehicles as slingshots for free movement. Could be I am being a dink and I'm thinking of a bizarro version of Our Weapons Are Useless.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
In 6th you can generally charge a unit you can't hurt, but you cannot charge a vehicle you cannot hurt. Walkers were kind of a grey area. I think they changed this so you can charge anything in 7th.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

AbusePuppy posted:

WIZARD PHASE

Alright, that's basically the same conclusion I'm coming to. I'm currently playing a much more aggressive list (pods or bikes+wraithknight) and the summoning is to fill the parts of the table that aren't my opponents deployment zone. I'll have to start poking at telepathy so the mantleseer can deal with deep strikers or whatever instead of (or in addition too) jazzhands off the horrors.

Post 9-11 User posted:

Maybe that was 6th edition? I thought there was a rule saying that at least one model must be able to hurt the vehicle being charged, mainly to avoid using vehicles as slingshots for free movement. Could be I am being a dink and I'm thinking of a bizarro version of Our Weapons Are Useless.

:iiam:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

And then I was like "hey I've got this other DV Helbrute around, I may as well do some conversion work and paint up a third one:"

Holy sheet ... PISS!!!

Translation: that is super cool and I can't even tell where the DV kit ends and the conversion bits begin.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

In 6th you can generally charge a unit you can't hurt, but you cannot charge a vehicle you cannot hurt. Walkers were kind of a grey area. I think they changed this so you can charge anything in 7th.

That's a relief, I feared that I was imagining things. Maybe from playing too much of the Hotline Miami games.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Post 9-11 User posted:

Holy sheet ... PISS!!!

yeah same

Seriously, that's some good drat hell rear end brutin'.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

If I want to use a real tank model to convert a Leman Russ into a Sherman Russ does anyone know what scale is best to use? 1/35 seems way too huge.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

BadLlama posted:

If I want to use a real tank model to convert a Leman Russ into a Sherman Russ does anyone know what scale is best to use? 1/35 seems way too huge.

1/48 seems standard.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Reynold posted:

Black Legion Dread supremaceeee

Furthermore, I have a Horus Heresy: Drop Assault silver card thingy with a code on it, if anybody plays that iPhone game. Here you go.

KNA6XP6MTPJA

Jumping in with my Iron Warriors dreads. No I don't care that they're not Black Legion, Chaos alone is good enough for me :colbert:

And at some point I've gotta take some better pictures of this big lug:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://imgur.com/a/QaAKi

Need an idea for a head for an Ordo Xenos inquisitor.

If female, her name is Sarah Ripley Multipass

So have fun with it

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Cut the very front off a necron face, hollow out eyes, attach to head of choice. Necron mask.

Also add a bitchin' hat.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Helbrute time!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So have fun with it

I don't know if it's too late, but she's suffering the same problem as a lot of home made inquisitors in power armor - she looks too much like a space marine. I'd lose the backpack and use non-standard shoulder pads of some sort to make her unique.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So have fun with it
This model looks solid so far, and that name is like 85% as good as Obi-Wan Sherlock Clouseau.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Helbrute time!

This guy looks like he's having a good time.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
not female, but this head (from fantasy empire free militia)?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So have fun with it

Going off of what MasterSlowPoke said, since you're already using etched brass you could nix the bulky shoulder pads entirely. Just get some symbols on the smaller shoulderpads that come on the arms already. It'll slim the model down some and prevent it from looking like just another space marine. Also, it needs a bunch of purity seals, scrolls, and random knick knacks, but I'm sure that's already in the works.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, I was going to build and paint two Wave Serpents with Scatter Lasers,, but now I don't know what to do because the Wave Serpent reign of terror is probably over with the latest codex update.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grab a pair of Tartarus power armor shoulder pads from ebay and slap those bad boys on there. It'll look great. For the packpack, a Scion backpack would probably look the best. Not sure what you can do about the legs without getting rid of the space marine body though :(

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Boon posted:

Well, I was going to build and paint two Wave Serpents with Scatter Lasers,, but now I don't know what to do because the Wave Serpent reign of terror is probably over with the latest codex update.

What update?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Slimnoid posted:

What update?

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/04/more-hints-of-eldar-codex-release-being.html

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Playing my first game in 5 years against Guard this week. I seem to have a babytown frolics list of figures available to me. Tell me how to use this, with accompanying making GBS threads upon:

1500 Point Ultramarines:

Chaplain
Terminator Armor

10 Marines
Rhino
Flamer
Missile Launcher

10 Marines
Rhino
Plasma Gun
Plasma Cannon

5 Scouts
4 Sniper Rifles
Missile Launcher

5 Terminators
TH/SS

Dreadnought
Multimelta
Heavy Flamer

10 Devastators
3x Lascannon
1x Missile Launcher w Flakk

Stormtalon

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Vindicator
Siege Shield

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I don't know if it's too late, but she's suffering the same problem as a lot of home made inquisitors in power armor - she looks too much like a space marine. I'd lose the backpack and use non-standard shoulder pads of some sort to make her unique.

As I'm also in the process of putting together an Inquisitor in power armor right now, what would you suggest to use instead of the backpack?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

Grab a pair of Tartarus power armor shoulder pads from ebay and slap those bad boys on there. It'll look great. For the packpack, a Scion backpack would probably look the best. Not sure what you can do about the legs without getting rid of the space marine body though :(

Any armored legs really would work. I even made some really cool Chaos Scouts using SM torsos and Marauder legs.

PantsOptional posted:

As I'm also in the process of putting together an Inquisitor in power armor right now, what would you suggest to use instead of the backpack?

A cape, or some other kind of backpack like Bulbasaur said.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Jumping in with my Iron Warriors dreads. No I don't care that they're not Black Legion, Chaos alone is good enough for me :colbert:

And at some point I've gotta take some better pictures of this big lug:

owns

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Helbrute time!

also owns

gently caress yeah, people!

Here's one of my Thousand Sons dreads:

I'm working on re-basing my Night Lords Dread, which was on a square base for a loooooong time. Will post when done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

BULBASAUR posted:

These aren't getting enough love. Those flames are awesome and the saturation across your color palette works really well. You should totes invest in a better camera/lighting setup though. Really do that painting justice.

Also I agree on the canopy, it makes it cartoony, but in a good way that matches your flames. Well done.

Thanks, much appreciated! I have to say that I'm loving the color scheme myself - all the armies I tend to see around here are dark and drab and muddy, and my Marines are all black and dark green with SHINY GOLD and BRIGHT rear end FLAMES all over them. Like they've been ripped out from one of those 80s toy ads masquerading as kids' cartoons. In general I've found myself enjoying painting bright, clear, saturated colors - my Tau are a deep rich blue, my Necrons are purple.. I might have to start working on a red army at some point, besides my Nids..

And yeah, I'll try and figure out a better lighting setup, I just had to snap a couple of quick pics. Maybe I'll drape a sheet across something on my table for a better background. I actually got pretty good results from just going outside to the parking lot and snapping pictures in the natural lighting there, back when the weather was good.

• Locked thread