Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I finally hit my first traffic issue at 26k people. Basically I had to demo all my two way roads in my industrial zone and work out a one way system, now there's no backups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Why demolish? You can convert them easily now.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Why demolish? You can convert them easily now.

You can from two way to one way? I didn't try because I thought you had to drag in the direct you want

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Pumpy Dumper posted:

You can from two way to one way? I didn't try because I thought you had to drag in the direct you want
One of the patches they did made the upgrade tool work for one-way roads, it also made it so that if you right click a one-way road while the upgrade tool is selected you reverse its direction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't recommend upgrading two-ways to one-ways because you might end up with parts somewhere in the middle facing the wrong way because the upgrade tool has no way to know which way you want it to be facing, even if you click and hold. Then people stop using the road because they can't now and you have no indication of why because the game has no "here is the direction your streets flow" map. There's much less of a chance of a fuckup with just demolishing/rebuilding them.

edit:

Smart Car posted:

One of the patches they did made the upgrade tool work for one-way roads, it also made it so that if you right click a one-way road while the upgrade tool is selected you reverse its direction.

What. Well never mind what I said then go hog wild.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Smart Car posted:

Whoa awesome, good to know

MickRaider
Aug 27, 2004

Now I smell like lemonade!
I wish I had figured out earlier you can click and hold left mouse to upgrade roads instead of one by one.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

Smart Car posted:

This will save me a LOT of money thank you, I had no idea. I constantly draw my one-ways the wrong direction, because I'm always needing to start from the same point to maintain symmetry. Then I bulldoze and curse.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Things SimCity 2013 had that Cities: Skylines lacks: side guides on (esp. curved) roads to make parallel sections easy to create.

Seriously. Desperately needed.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Hubis posted:

Things SimCity 2013 had that Cities: Skylines lacks: side guides on (esp. curved) roads to make parallel sections easy to create.

Seriously. Desperately needed.

A circle tool would also be greatly appreciated.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Alkydere posted:

A circle tool would also be greatly appreciated.

I want the ability to like, select the premade roundabout and use my scroll wheel to make it smaller or bigger

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just give me all the drawing tools from Illustrator (pen, line, circle, square) and I'll be cool. :v:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Some questions, do the free standing decoration trees do anything for happiness? Also how to you raise or lower roads?

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
I have a huge traffic bottleneck in my city, and I wasn't sure how to fix it :(

So I thought adding some bus routes would help alleviate the congestion, somehow...

At least they make pretty circles :3:

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to fix the massive congestion near the highway access road on the left?

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Daysvala posted:

I have a huge traffic bottleneck in my city, and I wasn't sure how to fix it :(

So I thought adding some bus routes would help alleviate the congestion, somehow...

At least they make pretty circles :3:

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to fix the massive congestion near the highway access road on the left?

Add another entrance? You can probably loop the freeway all the way around.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:psyduck:

There's massive congestion because there's only one way into your city.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Zombie #246 posted:

Also how to you raise or lower roads?
Use page up/page down while building the road.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

:psyduck:

There's massive congestion because there's only one way into your city.

To be fair, he doesn't own the freeway interchange.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Get rid of some stop lights at intersections. One way roads perhaps.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

My growth has stalled a bit. I'm a few thousand short of unlocking my last milestone 60k for airports. I've been holding off a wholescale city infrastructure remodel to gut out the main arteries and install a swank new metro system. Any advice on getting pop growth up? Assuming my residential demand remains low, I suppose I have no options but to flood what I currently have with lots of services and improve current land value?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Zoning a new industrial zone with some high density housing next to it seems to fill up pretty quick, regardless of demand

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tax breaks and policies!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The worst thing about the workshop is that mods automatically update, so you can't even go download the original version of the building info mod, and it updates your version without your consent. Which is sort of scary, considering that some butthurt modder could go ahead and gently caress over a ton of people's computers if they throw a tantrum.

Theres an option somewhere that I saw that allows you to select whether to automatically update from the workshop or not - I can't remember if its in steam or the game but its out there, so this is me being super helpful.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

So for those of you who are playing my Alluvium map a word of warning. I accidentally included periodical floods and droughts. I have no idea how or why this happened, but while I was playing tonight something happened to me that is very, very strange.

Here is my city at around the in game year 2035. The water levels are the right height. In most areas buildings are right at the water level, but just enough above it so as not to flood. This is good and normal.

Five years later this happened. Water levels began to rise at some point and before I knew it large sections of my city were in standing water.

I decided to reload my most recent save and ended up building a wall of pump across the river. This screenshot is my city the year before the disaster, but water levels upstream of the pump wall are lower overall.

Now I am battling further disasters as the drop in river levels has resulted in a giant tsunami of poo poo.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
What's the best way to balance education? All my businesses are requiring educated workers but if I educate them no one will work in my industries.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

Add another entrance? You can probably loop the freeway all the way around.

Run a quarter circle, one way road, counter clockwise from the traffic problem to the bottom part of the circle. Basically, just a quarter of a circle to get people from the entrance, further into the city.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Modular football stadium is pretty cool:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=417674454

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Lucinice posted:

What's the best way to balance education? All my businesses are requiring educated workers but if I educate them no one will work in my industries.

It seems like CS isn't designed to support little educated hamlets with low tech industries; if you want to educate, you pretty much have to develop offices and level up your unspecialized industry (higher levels require more educated workers in their ratio). It doesn't seem like it supports multiple "models" of society well, but rather wants you to progress down a path of consistent improvement.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lucinice posted:

Educated people will still work uneducated jobs. Just bring in more people, the smart jobs will fill up and then the rest will go to the farm or lumber mill for work.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

This is awesome and honestly we need more BIG buildings in CS. Tiny 4x4 industrial areas look really dumb.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Lucinice posted:

The way I've been doing it is to just not fully meeting student needs. CS calls for dystopian cities where only the privileged few are allowed to enter elementary school. You bottle neck your cims at that first level then use your education budget slider to tweak it even further, and since they're bottle necked so low in the chain you'll likely only ever need the one high school and university.

With my mars city I managed to keep about third of my population uneducated and working in basic industry, while also easily filling out high commerce and offices.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Yeah, if you simply keep your education capacity in the red then in theory you should be able to maintain an underclass of sorts.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Rock Paper Shotgun wrote a couple of articles about Cities, announcing the Game of the Month and their verdict.

Somebody in the comments pointed to this gallery of Chirpy in other Paradox games. Not gonna lie, I would totally pay for Chirpy in a Napoleon hat.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I had a bus stop that looked like this:

So I installed a metro between it and another part of the city with two stops. One next to this bus stop and another into my proper metro network. The new metro station has 800 people per week using just one line and station. Metros are great.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 2, 2015

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

CJacobs posted:

I don't recommend upgrading two-ways to one-ways because you might end up with parts somewhere in the middle facing the wrong way because the upgrade tool has no way to know which way you want it to be facing, even if you click and hold. Then people stop using the road because they can't now and you have no indication of why because the game has no "here is the direction your streets flow" map. There's much less of a chance of a fuckup with just demolishing/rebuilding them.

edit:

What. Well never mind what I said then go hog wild.

By the way, apart from the arrows on the road the game also shows the 'not connected' sign if a segment of your one-way road isn't connected the correct way to the rest of the road.

(Unless it's also connected to some other road I guess.)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Unhappy Meal posted:

CS calls for dystopian cities where only the privileged few are allowed to enter elementary school. .
No, it really doesn't.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Industry fails not due to over-education, but just plain old worker shortages.

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
Once you build new commerce or offices, you usually end up with a short time of worker shortage in your low education industry. People just quit working the mines if they get a chance to fart in a chair in some office. If you still have enough overall workers the badly educated jobs get filled again after a few days, though.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Raskolnikov posted:

I had a bus stop that looked like this:

So I installed a metro between it and another part of the city with two stops. One next to this bus stop and another into my proper metro network. The new metro station has 800 people per week using just one line and station. Metros are great.

The people who live in that little house must get very annoyed at the huge horde of people that stands right outside their doorstep every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
I've noticed that residential demand on the meter seems to tail off well before all the available jobs in the city are filled. Because of that I tend to prioritize zoning residential over commercial and industrial based on relative demand - like, as long as people are still moving in and there are jobs available, keep adding it, no matter what the meter says.

By the way, does office satisfy industrial demand? And is there any downside to using it over industrial? I guess it doesn't produce goods so your commercial has to import stuff? Almost seems like that would be a wash or net improvement on the traffic situation, though, trading more delivery vans for minimal industrial truck traffic moving around.