Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Rexides posted:

I actually liked that one. The joke that was not as clever as they thought it was was the bird going into the electrical box after they set it free. It was as if the show was afraid that it would not look cynical enough for the Internet if it didn't do something to that bird at the end.

Well... the bird is fine, right? It's just gonna carry on the legacy of finding nice warm places to set up shop. I don't feel like they did anything bad to the bird, he's not the one with the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Was the motto of Greendale always "E Pluribus Anus?" The logo was very unsubtle too, might as well have had goatse...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Binary Badger posted:

Was the motto of Greendale always "E Pluribus Anus?" The logo was very unsubtle too, might as well have had goatse...

No, greendale group got it voted in by submitting a mock entry.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Binary Badger posted:

Getting that flag design approved is why the study group was assigned to clean up the Eleven Herbs & Space Experience.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

That was from the NBC days, actually, and I'm glad they kept it. I'd almost forgotten about it. The anus-like logo in the middle of the flag was chosen or approved or whatever because, as I think Jeff put it, "the Dean kept refusing to see [that it was an anus]."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

tarlibone posted:

That was from the NBC days, actually, and I'm glad they kept it. I'd almost forgotten about it. The anus-like logo in the middle of the flag was chosen or approved or whatever because, as I think Jeff put it, "the Dean kept refusing to see [that it was an anus]."

It was a gag entry by Jeff that accidentally got approved because the Dean didn't see it.

The best joke about that was the season 2 finale when the City College cock-and-balls skyscraper logo was hoisted into the Greendale anus after the takeover.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 1, 2015

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

MikeJF posted:

It was a gag entry by Jeff that accidentally got approved because the Dean didn't see it.

The best joke about that was the season 2 finale when the City College cock-and-balls skyscraper logo was hoisted into the Greendale anus after the takeover.

I didn't catch that until my third rewatching. So good.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

XboxPants posted:

Well... the bird is fine, right? It's just gonna carry on the legacy of finding nice warm places to set up shop. I don't feel like they did anything bad to the bird, he's not the one with the problem.

Yes, that is completely the joke. The bird did not die. It flew away, after having to leave the open box that was disrupting Wi-Fi, and found an open power-fuse box. The joke being that they saved this bird, set it free, and now it creates another outage for Greendale, presumably.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The flag joke is one of my favorite unsubtle jokes. My favorite subtle joke is probably Beetlejuice. I wish they'd do more of that sort of thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I think both the Chang and Dean stories had intensely unsatisfying ends, but there were some nice character moments and funny bits. (Elroy snapping at Britta was the best - "Insects have wings!" "S-sorry...") And Mantzouks! Why is he so good at playing terrible people?

Also gotta say I have never liked the school board guys. Their reappearance made me sigh.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Why would a plumber be fighting a monkey?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ashpanash posted:

Why would a plumber be fighting a monkey?

Mario was originally supposed to be "a dude" saving his girlfriend from the clearly king kong-inspired Donkey Kong but sprite limitations of the nes forced miyamoto to give him a mustache to define his face, and overalls to define his body, miyamoto then thought the resultant image made the main character into a plumber, the rest is history

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014
:eng101: Also he was a carpenter in Donkey Kong

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Otto von Ruthless posted:

:eng101: Also he was a carpenter in Donkey Kong

Also, supposedly, Mario was supposed to be Popeye and DK as Bluto

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I didn't really laugh this episode but I still thought it was solid entertainment throughout. Rash owns and it was pleasant to see Chang do something vaguely positive for a chang(e).

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Toxxupation posted:

Mario was originally supposed to be "a dude" saving his girlfriend from the clearly king kong-inspired Donkey Kong but sprite limitations of the nes forced miyamoto to give him a mustache to define his face, and overalls to define his body, miyamoto then thought the resultant image made the main character into a plumber, the rest is history

Oh I know the story, I'm far too big of a nerd not to know that. I mean more philosophically. A tree throwing eggs isn't any weirder than Qbert.

Basically I just loved the line, delivery, and response.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

VagueRant posted:

I think both the Chang and Dean stories had intensely unsatisfying ends, but there were some nice character moments and funny bits. (Elroy snapping at Britta was the best - "Insects have wings!" "S-sorry...") And Mantzouks! Why is he so good at playing terrible people?

Also gotta say I have never liked the school board guys. Their reappearance made me sigh.

Yeah pretty much. The Dean story especially felt really half-baked even though there were some good jokes scattered throughout the episode. It's like..."we want to say something about our gay character! Except...we really, really don't, and then we don't know what to do with this chopped snake of a plot so here's a last-minute swerve into weak political satire".

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Eh, they can't all be winners.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

Holy cow, the director character was fantastic -- that guy should win some kind of acting award.

Yeah, it wasn't a super funny moment, but I really enjoyed when he turned Annie's story on its head by saying it was Pat Morita's movie and Ralph Macchio just kinda showed up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I watched episode 1 (this season) again, and I just noticed that apparently, the original name for the school, or at least the name it had when old dudes were younger, was "Greendale Computery College."

I'm sure that's already been mentioned, but I love that word: computery. It conveys what would have been a new-age, futuristic, and really important new technology using a word that appears to have been made up by a 4-year-old. At its genesis, Greendale wasn't playing with a full deck.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

tarlibone posted:

It conveys what would have been a new-age, futuristic, and really important new technology using a word that appears to have been made up by a 4-year-old. At its genesis, Greendale wasn't playing with a full deck.

Like tears in the rain.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I watched episode 1 (this season) again, and I just noticed that apparently, the original name for the school, or at least the name it had when old dudes were younger, was "Greendale Computery College."

I'm sure that's already been mentioned, but I love that word: computery. It conveys what would have been a new-age, futuristic, and really important new technology using a word that appears to have been made up by a 4-year-old. At its genesis, Greendale wasn't playing with a full deck.

Yes, I believe that's the joke.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, it wasn't a super funny moment, but I really enjoyed when he turned Annie's story on its head by saying it was Pat Morita's movie and Ralph Macchio just kinda showed up.

That rant was the best. I rewound it just to hear it again.

Edit: I also rewatched the stage play cause it was amazing. It actually makes me want to watch The Karate Kid again.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Volume posted:

That rant was the best. I rewound it just to hear it again.

Edit: I also rewatched the stage play cause it was amazing. It actually makes me want to watch The Karate Kid again.

I never watched Karate Kid (every trailer made it seem super-dumb), but that play was pretty ace.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

tarlibone posted:

It's also similar enough to the word "community" that they could just replace the letters and not have to make a whole new sign for a 2 second shot.

Cory Snyder
Jan 27, 2004

People have compared me to Cal Ripken...

midnightclimax posted:

I never watched Karate Kid (every trailer made it seem super-dumb), but that play was pretty ace.

I don't think you have to go by trailers any more, it has 30 years of word of mouth.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Cory Snyder posted:

I don't think you have to go by trailers any more, it has 30 years of word of mouth.

I think it's more of an american thing, I don't remember it having any impact in my school at the time. Well I just checked, and I was too young to care at release, I probably only saw clips of the sequels. (apparently one of them stars Hillary Swank? wot)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Seemingly related, it looks like Ken Jeong got to meet the President!

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10153334088904238&set=vb.63811549237&type=2&theater

You'll see him starting about 7:30; true to form, he offers to do something Chang-like with Obama...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I really don't know that anyone outside of America (and maybe Canada or whatever) gives a poo poo about The Karate Kid. Nobody I know has ever seen or referenced it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, all I know about it is that a bunch of American media loves to reference it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

midnightclimax posted:

I think it's more of an american thing, I don't remember it having any impact in my school at the time. Well I just checked, and I was too young to care at release, I probably only saw clips of the sequels. (apparently one of them stars Hillary Swank? wot)

The Hillary Swank one was The Next Karate Kid, which is by all accounts terrible. I'm surprised Abed didn't reference it given the two different female Karate Kids in the episode.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, all I know about it is that a bunch of American media loves to reference it.

Its worth watching at least once. The second one too.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Mortanis posted:

The flag joke is one of my favorite unsubtle jokes. My favorite subtle joke is probably Beetlejuice. I wish they'd do more of that sort of thing.

Maybe they did! :tinfoil:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Anything with Rafi is amazing and he should really have his own show.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Well, to go one step further, the trio of characters was originally supposed to be Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Bluto, but Nintendo couldn't get the rights to the characters.

It's amazing how often this happens.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Well, to go one step further, the trio of characters was originally supposed to be Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Bluto, but Nintendo couldn't get the rights to the characters.

It's amazing how often this happens.

In the end, everything is fanfiction.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bown posted:

Yeah I really don't know that anyone outside of America (and maybe Canada or whatever) gives a poo poo about The Karate Kid. Nobody I know has ever seen or referenced it.

How old are you? When I was a kid, if you didn't like and reference Karate Kid constantly you were subhuman garbage trash. But a lot of people I know who are younger (I'm 33, they're late 20s) have never seen it. It's a travesty, it's a damned good kids movie.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm 24 and yeah a couple hours ago a friend mentioned to me that it was more of an 80s kids thing because they supposedly played it on TV lot in the UK in the very early 90s.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
German TV had Shaw Brothers stuff in the 80s & 90s, Karate Kid just seemed redundant. And by the looks of it, it went nowhere near the amount of crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bown posted:

I'm 24 and yeah a couple hours ago a friend mentioned to me that it was more of an 80s kids thing because they supposedly played it on TV lot in the UK in the very early 90s.

Sounds like it might be a UK thing. I've been around the block a few times and have never seen The Karate Kid.

• Locked thread