Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

eschaton posted:

Microsoft's was "Smart Tags," Metafilter helped my memory:

if Microsoft is trying it again, I bet Dave Winer will rant about it. after all, you should only ever read his words in exactly the form he wants, with no changes or interpretation, and you should of course interpret his words yourself in exactly the way he means them and not in any other possible sense they could be taken.
Does Microsoft own the Web now?

Monday, June 25, 2001 by Dave Winer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol dave winer. that's a whole thread by itself

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Chris Knight posted:

lol dave winer. that's a whole thread by itself

someone gimme the highlights

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i think he invented blogging and has a lot of opinions about it

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

prefect posted:

Nobody had a diary.html before me!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

have you ever had a client try to communicate requested changes to a web page

hehee teh oatmeal :razz:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

his last name was well-chosen

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

graph posted:

hehee teh oatmeal :razz:

say that to my goddamn face, i'll cut you

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

say that to my goddamn face, i'll cut you

can u just, make it pop?? :iamafag:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

comparing people to the oatmeal falls under the doctrine of 'fighting words'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

duTrieux. posted:

comparing people to the oatmeal falls under the doctrine of 'fighting words'
especially when clients from hell exists

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

especially when clients from hell exists

quote:

I sent a JPG of a proposed homepage to a client. They have printed it out, cut it up with scissors, and put it back together to their liking. They would now like our mailing address.

you know what? i would absolutely entertain a client doing this at least once, i mean that's just adorable :allears:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

univbee posted:

you know what? i would absolutely entertain a client doing this at least once, i mean that's just adorable :allears:
bill them for the hours until it shows up

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

univbee posted:

i wanna just stick it to a fridge

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

best client comment will forever be “please also put a landlord hat on the landlord”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

not sure i'd entertain this one, though.

quote:

Client: I’ve bought these stock photos of people. Can you please put them on the home page of my website?

Me: Ok that’s been done. Could you please check you’re happy with it?

Client: Oh I’m not sure I like that.

Me: What seems to be the problem?

Client: Well I think there are too many white people.

Me: These are the photos which you provided, but I’d be happy to change the photos if you provide new ones.

Client: I want to appear more ethnically friendly but I don’t want to buy any more photos. Could you just colour some of them in so they look black?

especially since microsoft almost literally did the opposite of this (turning a black person white)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
lol

A woman had me use her photo as part of her new ad. She paid for some touch-ups with Photoshop, so I sent her the new picture.

Client: I look great! Is there any way you can make my breasts a little larger though?

I thought it an odd request but proceeded anyway. However, she still wasn’t satisfied with the second, or even the third copy. However, once I sent the fourth, I got an angry email.

Client: Why did you make my breasts so big?! I look like a bimbo!

I then showed her the numerous requests she sent me. I got another email shortly after.

Client: Sorry for the confusion. The first draft is fine. My husband decided to answer my emails for me.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Lysidas posted:

lol

A woman had me use her photo as part of her new ad. She paid for some touch-ups with Photoshop, so I sent her the new picture.

Client: I look great! Is there any way you can make my breasts a little larger though?

I thought it an odd request but proceeded anyway. However, she still wasn’t satisfied with the second, or even the third copy. However, once I sent the fourth, I got an angry email.

Client: Why did you make my breasts so big?! I look like a bimbo!

I then showed her the numerous requests she sent me. I got another email shortly after.

Client: Sorry for the confusion. The first draft is fine. My husband decided to answer my emails for me.

lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i've been trying for over five minutes to add axis labels to a scatter plot in the new excel for mac beta and i just can't figure it out
jfc

pram
Jun 10, 2001
install numbers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i want to be able to easily paste the chart into a word document

and i'm using word instead of pages because i need a robust equation editor

pram
Jun 10, 2001
use latex

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
use harvard graphics

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:effort:

i found it :geno:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
use ipython, pandas, matplotlib

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol python what an idiot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

prefect posted:

also don't you dare interpret his words according to your own understanding and experience, instead of the exact way he intended them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

use harvard graphics

you can still buy harvard graphics 98

just $70!

http://www.serif.com/harvard-graphics/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you can still buy harvard graphics 98

just $70!

http://www.serif.com/harvard-graphics/
hell yeah

time to put this fuckin' EGA card i paid for to work

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

hell yeah

time to put this fuckin' EGA card i paid for to work

you paid for the whole card but you'll only need the first irq

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

don't know if this was already posted microsoft released an ocr app for iOS and android

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/02/microsoft-launches-office-lens-for-iphone/

i just tried it on a really hosed full sheet of a4 i've been carrying in my back pocket for days that's worn and has holes at some of the creases and it it made exactly one mistake. it failed to capitalise a single line and indented it one space. all other text rendered perfectly in word format, including underlines.

the divergence between the office and mobile teams vs the windows team continues

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

shitface posted:

don't know if this was already posted microsoft released an ocr app for iOS and android

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/02/microsoft-launches-office-lens-for-iphone/

i just tried it on a really hosed full sheet of a4 i've been carrying in my back pocket for days that's worn and has holes at some of the creases and it it made exactly one mistake. it failed to capitalise a single line and indented it one space. all other text rendered perfectly in word format, including underlines.

the divergence between the office and mobile teams vs the windows team continues

i was going to ask how it differed from onenote (since it adds to that too) but then i tried it on a poorly lit paper on my office wall and it detected all but a pipe correctly, then trimmed the images on the paper with the typed text ocred nearly by them

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Virion posted:

i was going to ask how it differed from onenote (since it adds to that too) but then i tried it on a poorly lit paper on my office wall and it detected all but a pipe correctly, then trimmed the images on the paper with the typed text ocred nearly by them

gonna find the messiest whiteboard i can tomorrow and try it. in theory export to powerpoint should seperate text and graphics. i fully expected to regret my 365 subscription and if i'm honest i never use it on iPhone and rarely on iPad but when i do i'm like goddamn this poo poo actually works. office looks, feels and works very similarly and well everywhere

e: but windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 update whateverthefuckitwas and 10 are a loving joke. i never much cared for 7 either. win2k superiority

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

7 is fine but it does not work well with high res displays (basically anything >150dpi)

8.1u1 is tolerable

in its current state, 10 is not. we'll see if that changes but i'm not holding my breath

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
no version of windows is tolerable

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

shitface posted:

gonna find the messiest whiteboard i can tomorrow and try it. in theory export to powerpoint should seperate text and graphics. i fully expected to regret my 365 subscription and if i'm honest i never use it on iPhone and rarely on iPad but when i do i'm like goddamn this poo poo actually works. office looks, feels and works very similarly and well everywhere

e: but windows 8, 8.1, 8.1 update whateverthefuckitwas and 10 are a loving joke. i never much cared for 7 either. win2k superiority
tried windows classic theme on win7? it's the win2k theme and it was functional enough that they had to remove it in 8+

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
isn't turning off aero in win7 a dumb idea because it also turned off hardware acceleration

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

isn't turning off aero in win7 a dumb idea because it also turned off hardware acceleration
that doesn't mean the theme itself is bad, just that they should bother adding hardware acceleration to the good theme

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

that doesn't mean the theme itself is bad, just that they should bother adding hardware acceleration to the good theme
with metro being so thoroughly hated by everyone, i'm sure the microsoft ui team is hard at work making that a reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anthonypants posted:

with metro being so thoroughly hated by everyone, i'm sure the microsoft ui team is hard at work making that a reality
well windows classic theme now has hardware acceleration

they changed it to the win7 theme though

• Locked thread