Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Your thread was gassed for missing ringtones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCVuxP9NA0

BARNABY JONES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

So the subtext is basically, "SMA gets to change this stupid policy on a whim whenever he wants". Has it even been a year since the current one was implemented?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nimmy posted:

So the subtext is basically, "SMA gets to change this stupid policy on a whim whenever he wants". Has it even been a year since the current one was implemented?

more like the subtext being "Well we're going to need a fighting force for Iraq III so we might as well quadruple our potential candidates before we actually announce"

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Army Thread - no felons (OK some felons)

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Nimmy posted:

standards only get relaxed in the mil when they are trying to keep people around.

they make the standards stupid if they are trying to cut the force down.

these are the only reasons current standards ever get altered one way or the other. last SMA was doomed from the start because he's basically the face of dumb regulation and there was a drawdown in effect through his time til he retired. this SMA will be a goddamn hero, "one of the guys" just because they want more people in and he gets to be the face of good news for enlisted, rather than the face of dumb regulation.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cole posted:

these are the only reasons current standards ever get altered one way or the other. last SMA was doomed from the start because he's basically the face of dumb regulation and there was a drawdown in effect through his time til he retired. this SMA will be a goddamn hero, "one of the guys" just because they want more people in and he gets to be the face of good news for enlisted, rather than the face of dumb regulation.

They said that about Chandler when he got rid of the beret. Mark my words, Dailey will get to be the bearer of some retardery before too long. Something like "soldiers on leave will be required to telephone their command once every three hours, no exceptions."

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

McNally posted:

They said that about Chandler when he got rid of the beret. Mark my words, Dailey will get to be the bearer of some retardery before too long. Something like "soldiers on leave will be required to telephone their command once every three hours, no exceptions."

I remember being deployed when that came out. I dug that gray greasy abomination out of the bottom of my bag and threw it into the poo poo/diesel mix and watched it burn. Can't imagine what that poor bastard PFC must've thought.

And yeah, every SMA ever has had some fuckdumb retardation to add to the pile. My guess is bringing back black boots under the guise of "professionalism" and "discipline".

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cole posted:

standards only get relaxed in the mil when they are trying to keep people around.

they make the standards stupid if they are trying to cut the force down.

Alright guys, we're going to let in NON-VIOLENT felons into the army. What do we mean by non violent? well did you actUally kill someone? No? OK why are you bringing it up then, lets go talk about it over some applebees.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

LeoMarr posted:

Alright guys, we're going to let in NON-VIOLENT felons into the army. What do we mean by non violent? well did you actUally kill someone? No? OK why are you bringing it up then, lets go talk about it over some applebees.

What's up with your autoban?

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Suntan Boy posted:

And yeah, every SMA ever has had some fuckdumb retardation to add to the pile. My guess is bringing back black boots under the guise of "professionalism" and "discipline".

If he's the same Sergeant Major that Odierno had back in 2007 when he visited Taji, the man is... disturbed. After Odierno gave his toalk, the Sergeant Major gave a "talk" that alternated between "calm and collected" and "screaming at us at the top of his lungs" at apparently random intervals. I don't remember what he was talking about either, other than that the topic seemed to be just as random as the screaming.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
"THE BIG RANGER GOD MIGHT NEED YOU TO COME PULL SECURITY AT HIS BIG FOB IN THE SKY"

-ACTING CSM IFORGETHISNAME FROM 1-502 IN 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

What's up with your autoban?

I was a bad boy and used the hot thread tag

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Suntan Boy posted:

This. Maybe just with the dress uniforms because low quarters are too easily cleaned and if a soldier can't pay some Korean woman to do it spend all night shining boots, they're trash. I mean the 101st already has them with their dress uniforms under the guise of "tradition," why not the rest of the Army?

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger
If the rationale for something is "back in 101st/82nd/1st Cav," it's probably stupid and gay.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

If the rationale for something is "back in the army," it's probably stupid and gay.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cole posted:

If something is "army," it's stupid and gay.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Whipped Buttcheeks posted:

101st/82nd/1st Cav, is stupid and gay.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Bond is Salty, a 1 act play

scene 1

*1 week prior*

'why did you call me PFC NTT'
'accident sergeant, hit the wrong button on the phone'
'ok that's great, tell me when the next drill weekend is'
'april 3-4-5 friday through sunday'
'good job don't call me again'

scene 2

*alarm goes off

*actually get out of bed and groom body to standard, consume coffee*

'hmm i didnt get a drill letter and nobody's replying to my texts, or giving a gently caress if i'm awake/on track to be at formation on time'
'i dont feel like being wrong so i'll go to the armory anyway'

scene 3

*20 minutes later*

*pulls into parking lot, is empty as poo poo*
'how did i gently caress up this bad'

~fin

Please deride and/or mock me for attempting to actually be on time and do my job since apparently drill got cancelled/moved up a weekend this month and nobody said a fuckin thing

why would my first line tell me drill was this weekend if it wasnt, god loving drat i am salty as gently caress hahaha

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 3, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

No...I'd say your first line and your readiness NCO hosed up. Especially the RNCO, drill letters and updates are their job.

Unless you didn't check your mil mail recently and they did an announcement, in which case you're the piece of poo poo.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Drill letters/correspondence from the Admin NCO get sent directly to my gmail

I'm sure that drill is -next- weekend if it's not this weekend, but I was pretty loving sold that it was -this- weekend, especially considering that week 3 and 4 of this month we're going on a 2 week loving mission...

My mind is just confused as poo poo lol...why would my first line let me tell him that it was this weekend if it wasn't this weekend

e; I'm just gonna sit in the house all loving day in my ACUs so I remember this bullshit

I'm sure around noon or so when my TL finally wakes up and reads the texts I sent him he'll call me an idiot

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 3, 2015

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yes, yes he will.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
gently caress it where's my alcohol https://8ch.net/player.php?v=%2Fb%2Fsrc%2F1412138955735.webm&t=trumpet+skeleton.webm&loop=1

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

NTT posted:

Drill letters/correspondence from the Admin NCO get sent directly to my gmail

I'm sure that drill is -next- weekend if it's not this weekend, but I was pretty loving sold that it was -this- weekend, especially considering that week 3 and 4 of this month we're going on a 2 week loving mission...

My mind is just confused as poo poo lol...why would my first line let me tell him that it was this weekend if it wasn't this weekend

e; I'm just gonna sit in the house all loving day in my ACUs so I remember this bullshit

I'm sure around noon or so when my TL finally wakes up and reads the texts I sent him he'll call me an idiot

It's Easter weekend; no sane unit schedules drill. It sounds like your first-line didn't actually listen to your answer, just that you had one. You done been hosed over.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Kiryen posted:

You done been hosed over.

Well yes, but we're talking about this situation specifically not just having joined the NG.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Gay all that you can gay. Drinking away the pain has made my relationship with alcohol stronger than most Army marriages.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Kiryen posted:

no sane unit
lol

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005

Trying to explain vaguely technical things to wilfully ignorant decision makers has definitely been the most rewarding part of my career.

Rewarding in that I can drink way more than I used to, and care way less.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202932093941608

this probably happened at like 10am because if the army is on time about anything its about gay poo poo, and this dumbass probably had to stay at work for another 8 hours lmao

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
First week of OCS down, it's not too bad, they keep you really loving busy usually though.

Whipped Buttcheeks
Jul 25, 2007
Chairborne Ranger

Cole posted:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10202932093941608

this probably happened at like 10am because if the army is on time about anything its about gay poo poo, and this dumbass probably had to stay at work for another 8 hours lmao

Full retard.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Mustang posted:

First week of OCS down, it's not too bad, they keep you really loving busy usually though.

you're not in A Co because you're using a computer/phone during the first week.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's just for Easter, otherwise no phone or computer for basic phase. I don't know anything about Alpha other than almost every injured recycle at HHC is from Alpha.

Were actually the first or second class to be issued govt laptops though but we don't have internet to connect them to anyway so they're really only useful when we go to building 4.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
The OP to this thread is great, I'll read the whole article eventually. I was an NCO for a year before I separated, and I probably heard "just pencil - whip it" about 300 times on forms for required pricedures. I remember two instances where I was advised by my platoon sergeant to forge my commanders signature because he was unavailable, and one time when my battalion IA told me to pull files off a secret laptop with my personal thumb drive because he needed them for some report he was doing. I never got counseled for refusing to do any of those things, but it made me sad that all these breaches were happening when I had to memorize and recite all those loving creeds that said I would never do stuff like that.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Eulogistics posted:

The OP to this thread is great, I'll read the whole article eventually. I was an NCO for a year before I separated, and I probably heard "just pencil - whip it" about 300 times on forms for required pricedures. I remember two instances where I was advised by my platoon sergeant to forge my commanders signature because he was unavailable, and one time when my battalion IA told me to pull files off a secret laptop with my personal thumb drive because he needed them for some report he was doing. I never got counseled for refusing to do any of those things, but it made me sad that all these breaches were happening when I had to memorize and recite all those loving creeds that said I would never do stuff like that.

grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

LeoMarr posted:

grossly incompetent doesn't begin to describe it

I though this too until I went to work for Border Patrol.

Holy poo poo.

I now worship at the feet of Army competence and efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Eulogistics posted:

lol creeds don't mean poo poo like... ever.

• Locked thread