Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you bought a first-generation iPod or IPhone on launch day you may well have been disappointed by the features/price ratio of the second model to come out.

God bless the early adopters, but they should go in with eyes open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Can't wait for April 10. There's nothing new to talk about now so the arguments are just going in circles.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

smackfu posted:

Can't wait for April 10. There's nothing new to talk about now so the arguments are just going in circles.

More like after April 24th. A lot of this idiotic back and forth isn't going to be resolved until people have it in hand for a few days. And even then, people's experiences with it will be different depending on their usage (shocking!!!). Just look at the wildly different opinions on the Android Wear stuff in the Wearables thread.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Will I be able to go out for a run with this thing whilst it tracks my HR and streams my music to my bluetooth headphones?

Will I need to take my iphone with me on the run?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

KingEup posted:

Will I be able to go out for a run with this thing whilst it tracks my HR and streams my music to my bluetooth headphones?

Yes to both.

Get one of these. They're awesome: http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

monkeu posted:

Yes to both.

Get one of these. They're awesome: http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt

Thanks but no thanks.

Edit: Actually I find it almost impossible to believe you'd need to carry your iphone with you. Has it been confirmed by Apple?

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

KingEup posted:

From what I understand you won't need to take your iPhone with you running. The watch has 2GB storage for music, has built-in bluetooth for headphones, and can measure your heart rate independently from the phone and then sync the data to the Health app when you're back.

Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/wearables/can-the-apple-watch-work-without-an-iphone--1288140

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

KingEup posted:

Thanks but no thanks.

Edit: Actually I find it almost impossible to believe you'd need to carry your iphone with you. Has it been confirmed by Apple?

Limited functionality without your phone apparently. Definitely not GPS without it: http://www.macworld.com/article/2895094/taking-apple-watch-for-a-run-dont-forget-your-iphone.html

Not really sure how much an extra 150 grams or whatever from carrying your phone is going to slow you down though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

monkeu posted:

Not really sure how much an extra 150 grams or whatever from carrying your phone is going to slow you down though.

It's more that it's a dense hard block that you need to secure somehow when you are running. Whether that's a belt, or an arm band, a lot of people don't really like that extra "stuff".

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

smackfu posted:

It's more that it's a dense hard block that you need to secure somehow when you are running. Whether that's a belt, or an arm band, a lot of people don't really like that extra "stuff".

Yeah and that's exactly why I posted a link to an SPI belt. They're fully elastic - including the pouch you put your phone in - so it's held snug and flush against your waist. I can jump up and down and my phone won't move at all. I've been using mine for over a year now and heaps of my runner friends have gone out and bought their own after trying mine.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
Basically you just lose GPS. I'm not a runner, but that doesn't seem like a big loss unless you like maps of your run. Is it also used for pace tracking or something more useful that I'm unaware of?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Karki posted:

Basically you just lose GPS. I'm not a runner, but that doesn't seem like a big loss unless you like maps of your run. Is it also used for pace tracking or something more useful that I'm unaware of?

Well it's generally the way your distance and speed are accurately calculated and tracked.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, the key is accurate pace and distance. A 5% error is fine for someone counting 10k steps, but not good enough when it turns a 7 minute pace into a 7:20 pace and adds a minute to your 5k time.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

smackfu posted:

Yeah, the key is accurate pace and distance. A 5% error is fine for someone counting 10k steps, but not good enough when it turns a 7 minute pace into a 7:20 pace and adds a minute to your 5k time.

Got it. Maybe Apple is confident in their M8 (or whatever version of it is in the watch) chip? More likely it'll be less accurate than gps though. Will be interesting to see the reviews.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Christy Turlington Burns Apple Blog posted:

After you run with Apple Watch and your iPhone a few times, the Workout app knows more about your stride. So you can run on a treadmill or outside without your phone and still get a really accurate workout summary

There you go. It has to learn.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

milkaxor posted:

There you go. It has to learn.

That's interesting. I wonder how you can tell when it's ready for you to leave your phone at home.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

monkeu posted:

Yeah and that's exactly why I posted a link to an SPI belt. They're fully elastic - including the pouch you put your phone in - so it's held snug and flush against your waist. I can jump up and down and my phone won't move at all. I've been using mine for over a year now and heaps of my runner friends have gone out and bought their own after trying mine.

I can't get over the fact that it's a fanny pack with a tighter fit. I'll stick with my arm band, it doesn't bother me.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

If you buy a Sport, can you use any other Apple band on it? I kinda want the stainless 42 but I really don't want to spend $600, especially considering I'll probably want to upgrade when v2 comes out.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Haggins posted:

If you buy a Sport, can you use any other Apple band on it? I kinda want the stainless 42 but I really don't want to spend $600, especially considering I'll probably want to upgrade when v2 comes out.

The knockoff steel band on Amazon is $225, so I imagine the bands from Apple will cost more than that. At that point, you might as well upgrade so you get the steel body and sapphire face.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Haggins posted:

I think you can use any band with any watch, but employees at the store will try and guide your band choices based on the model of your watch, based on what Apple has deemed aesthetically appropriate for each model.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it's just that aluminium and steel won't quite match.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

smackfu posted:

I'm hoping 3rd Party will make a Apple Watch Aluminum Link Bracelet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

smackfu posted:

Or like gold and steel.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

smackfu posted:

Good point. Of course the $1100 black link is the one I like the most, don't think I'll spend that much though. Second to that is the milanese loop or maybe black classic buckle.

Then again maybe I should just go cheap and not worry about it now. I bet anything third party is going to be where it's at in a few months.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm only the only one that thinks it's weird there isn't a gold link bracket to go with the gold watch?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

There is, but there are only 5 people on the planet that can afford it. Apple decided to not put it on their website and market it directly to the world's top billionaires.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, they're charging $3000 for a leather band with a gold buckle.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

smackfu posted:

I didn't mean "what Apple has deemed aesthetically appealing" to be snark. I think it's good of them to guide people toward purchases that won't make them look like an idiot.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Anyone else considering getting one just for the heart rate monitor? I've been through three Bluetooth HR chest straps in a year. They always seem to work great until they spontaneously die for no reason (they steadily have like 2.5 - 3 stars on Amazon for that reason)

Hope Apple can do it right.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

oh no

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I think the killer app on this thing is the fitness tracking. Seems like it might blow away everything else out there.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Haggins posted:

I think the killer app on this thing is the fitness tracking. Seems like it might blow away everything else out there.

Thats really the only reason I'm buying one.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Serious question. Why do people need to know their heart rate and all this poo poo all of a sudden

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I think it will do a lot of things right, but fitness tracking won't be one of them. HealthKit is silly and half-baked in its current form, and since it is the critical component needed to "track" things, all the fancy sensors in the world won't matter if HealthKit can't display the data nicely.

It's sort of the opposite problem of the Microsoft Band - (apparently, I don't own one) excellent access to data and a very nice app to view it. But half-baked sensors, including at least 1 sensor that isn't even activated yet in hardware (I forget which).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Serious question. Why do people need to know their heart rate and all this poo poo all of a sudden

Runners have been measuring their heart rate for years. They just haven't always worn devices to do it for them. Never seen a jogger stop and take their pulse on their wrist?

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
I dunno. I'm into fitness and all (not really running, it's just a necessary evil), but I can't think how knowing my heartrate is helpful while I'm working out, unless I had some kind of heart problem or I was the incredible hulk and going over a certain rate caused me to transform. What happened to just running a certain distance and judging by how out of breath/tired you were? Is that stupid dad poo poo now?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

It's very useful for distance running, and nowadays there are gps iphone apps for running, and syncing a heartrate monitor to those apps turns you into a science fiction cyborg runner, which is not only cool as gently caress, it also gives you important feedback on your pace.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

bobfather posted:

I think it will do a lot of things right, but fitness tracking won't be one of them. HealthKit is silly and half-baked in its current form, and since it is the critical component needed to "track" things, all the fancy sensors in the world won't matter if HealthKit can't display the data nicely.

I don't think HealthKit is about display, but about providing the framework to collect the underlying data.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

smoobles posted:

It's very useful for distance running, and nowadays there are gps iphone apps for running, and syncing a heartrate monitor to those apps turns you into a science fiction cyborg runner, which is not only cool as gently caress, it also gives you important feedback on your pace.

What is the app going to tell you about your pace that you wouldn't already know from your actual physical feedback (i.e. how tired you are or how out of breath you are)?

"Oh sorry, app says here that I'm actually not tired at all, okay go faster legs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

What is the app going to tell you about your pace that you wouldn't already know from your actual physical feedback (i.e. how tired you are or how out of breath you are)?

"Oh sorry, app says here that I'm actually not tired at all, okay go faster legs!"

Here's a little reading on the topic. Short answer: Knowing your heart rate helps you to adjust your pace/exercise intensity to get the maximum value out of it.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887?pg=2

• Locked thread