Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Seriously, the waste steam getting used for that on a carrier cranks out 400,000 gallons a day. Granted, California needs ~20 billion gallons a day (BotE) but that 400,000 was low pressure secondary steam and a fraction of the output. Someone check my math on this but back of the envelope, Wikipedia says high end of electric desalinization is 6 kWh per cubic meter (seems real low but w/e); call it 10 for ease and inefficiencies. A cubic meter of water is 264 gallons, keep the math simple and say 110 kWh gets you 250 gallons. Go with a low end Westinghouse 200 mWe SMR, that's 72 million kWh electric. 72m/10*250= 18 billion gallons of potable water an hour, almost all of what they currently use for residential, industrial, and agricultural.

The math may be okay but I believe you're missing an important factor: energy generation isn't your bottleneck, but flow rate. You're going to run into flow issues more than energy issues. In order to generate your proposed 18B gallons of water per hour, you're talking a volumetric flow rate of 5 million gallons of water per second through your system. I'm not exactly an expert here, but every reference I'm finding for municipal or military water pumping applications measures their pumping rates in the ranges from hundreds to thousands of gallons per minute, not second. Barring some crazy tech shift, you're going to need an enormous number of said plants to provide equivalent output to your proposed output. Your flow rate is going to be bottlenecked either by pressure or by inlet/outlet diameter for either case, and each of these cases has completely different design issues you have to deal with as well.

Edit: Take your carrier example: 400,000 gallons per day is 4.6 gallons per second. You need, for California, 231000 per second.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Fried Chicken posted:

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

Those solutions do not fit into the cost-benefit analysis and may reduce earnings for a quarter, so it must be avoided at all costs. As long as politicians get second, and sometimes more significant, paychecks from bribery nothing is going to change. And of course the politicians would have to come up with the laws preventing politicians from getting bribed, so good luck.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I wouldn't worry too much. California's ballot proposition system will let the people with the best ideas to solve this put them forward for a vote and then ~*~the marketplace of ideas will decide~*~.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

"We know the solution to the problem by we don't want to do it so we will wait until it is a catastrophe and then still drag our feet" is basically post Carter America in a nutshell and it is the number 1 thing that pisses me off day in and day out. All the poo poo we fight over, we know how to solve it. We just don't because, well, because. And none of it is hard. It is a lot of work, and in some cases expensive, but it isn't hard. Going to the moon, that was hard. We had to invent whole new branches of science to do that. Unfucking our land use policies to knock down barriers to urban growth is easy, it's a series of procedural votes by a few dozen fools to repeal existing rules.

We could fix all the things we currently rage over, start addressing real issues, and unlock and amazing period of better standards of living, but we just don't want to. We'd rather keep trying to ban gay people or something. It's infuriating.

The whole reason I do my little nothing's where I can in politics. 100% agreed

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sundae posted:

The math may be okay but I believe you're missing an important factor: energy generation isn't your bottleneck, but flow rate. You're going to run into flow issues more than energy issues. In order to generate your proposed 18B gallons of water per hour, you're talking a volumetric flow rate of 5 million gallons of water per second through your system. I'm not exactly an expert here, but every reference I'm finding for municipal or military water pumping applications measures their pumping rates in the ranges from hundreds to thousands of gallons per minute, not second. Barring some crazy tech shift, you're going to need an enormous number of said plants to provide equivalent output to your proposed output. Your flow rate is going to be bottlenecked either by pressure or by inlet/outlet diameter for either case, and each of these cases has completely different design issues you have to deal with as well.

Edit: Take your carrier example: 400,000 gallons per day is 4.6 gallons per second. You need, for California, 231000 per second.

Yeah, I didn't consider that. Though that's a logistics problem and one that can be alleviated by a different system design that what I jotted down in 5 minutes. We don't need a miracle breakthrough, we just need to use our existing technology better.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Sundae posted:

Your input will be a lot more than 18B gallons, I know residential systems can use many times as much as they produce, no idea on industrial scale.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Press conferences later today probably.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Gounads posted:

Your input will be a lot more than 18B gallons, I know residential systems can use many times as much as they produce, no idea on industrial scale.

Agreed. Just pointing out the flaw in focusing on the energy generation aspect of the desalination.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah it started at 1, it's happening now

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Sundae posted:

Agreed. Just pointing out the flaw in focusing on the energy generation aspect of the desalinization.

Energy is probably the biggest issue California has wrt to desalination as we have serious energy problems and the drought is loving with our hydroelectric power production.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fried Chicken posted:

We are talking about enough power to run a city, the consumption of the pumps is negligible compared to that. Soil state is an issue of "how do we use potable water", not "how to we get access to it". I know our treatment of farmland is abysmal, but that's really a separate topic since it isn't water availability or scarcity that drives that, it's farming methodology and crop selection.

Water is heavy. Pumping water from the coast at sea level throughout the state requires a lot of energy.
Desalination is not a solution, it's just a short delay of the problems.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Water is heavy. Pumping water from the coast at sea level throughout the state requires a lot of energy.
Desalination is not a solution, it's just a short delay of the problems.

Yeah this. When I was designing irrigation systems the pumps and controls for them were massively expensive so we avoided them at all costs. And we're talking about systems that only required like 120 GPM and ran through 8" lines.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

I loving love Twitter.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
But do they have bee???

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Obama will speak on Iran in 10 minutes

Edit: Kerry's comments are that the P5+1 and Iran "now have parameters to resolve major issues on [Iran's] nuclear program"

Dayvan Cowboy
Feb 11, 2014
Why not blow up some Podunk pizza restaurant's yelp page and send anonymous threatening messages and phone calls to its owners?

http://www.gofundme.com/MemoriesPizza

They're gonna walk off with several hundred thousand dollars, a reaffirmation of their beliefs, and nobody's going to remember who they are in two weeks. Good job, internet!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hope he puts up a "mission accomplished" banner up for the speech

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
After explaining the parameters of the treaty/agreement, Obama should read Cotton's letter.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
C-SPAN feed live for non-cable subscribers.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

I think we're all ready for the draft, but that's kind of jumping the gun.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
They're coming for our churches now!

Huckabee: Gay-Rights Movement 'Won't Stop Until There Are No Churches'

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) said on Wednesday that gay-rights activists wouldn't be satisfied until there are no more churches or Christians in America.

“It won’t stop until there are no more churches, until there are no more people who are spreading the Gospel,” Huckabee said on a right-wing radio program while discussing the backlash against anti-gay religious-freedom legislation in Arkansas and Indiana.

"I’m talking now about the unabridged, unapologetic Gospel that is really God’s truth," he said.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Poor man's Rick Santorum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "When did the Democratic party declare war on the Catholic church?” ~ Ted Cruz

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Speed build a nuke plant, except direct all steam to desalinization instead of generation. Repeat as necessary. Problem solved.
We know the loving solution. Do it!

No new nuke plants have been built since the Carter administration and the number of plants on the West coast you can count on one hand. The only plant that may come on line before 2020 is run by the TVA.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

As a Church myself I will do my part by having as much sex as possible.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) said on Wednesday that gay-rights activists wouldn't be satisfied until there are no more churches or Christians in America.

“It won’t stop until there are no more churches, until there are no more people who are spreading the Gospel,” Huckabee said on a right-wing radio program while discussing the backlash against anti-gay religious-freedom legislation in Arkansas and Indiana.

"I’m talking now about the unabridged, unapologetic Gospel that is really God’s truth," he said.

In case you thought he was talking about teh gayz going after all those other lying bastards, spreading the abridged, apologetic Good News Gospel. Shorter Mike Huckabee: when Mike Huckabee is gone due to the gays, there won't be any churches or Christians in America.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "When did the Democratic party declare war on the Catholic church?” ~ Ted Cruz

At this rate, it's probably better to do Quote of the Hour. And I thought Republicans loving HATED the Catholic Church?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

lookoutbelow posted:

In case you thought he was talking about teh gayz going after all those other lying bastards, spreading the abridged, apologetic Good News Gospel. Shorter Mike Huckabee: when Mike Huckabee is gone due to the gays, there won't be any churches or Christians in America.

We are so close to final victory. :getin:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At this rate, it's probably better to do Quote of the Hour. And I thought Republicans loving HATED the Catholic Church?

They love conservative American Bishops and hate liberal/foreign papists.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

They hate those weirdos in the robes and funny hats who talk about immigration reform, feeding the poor, and universal health care. But they aren't real Catholics. The real Catholic Church wear suits and sweater vests and preach the word of Jesus about the War on Christmas and not helping blah people.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

First Obummer wants to let the Iranian terrorists build nukes, now Big Gay wants to ban Christianity? What a week.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Luigi Thirty posted:

First Obummer wants to let the Iranian terrorists build nukes, now Big Gay wants to ban Christianity? What a week.

4 more years!

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Joementum posted:

Kennedy?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Neocon heads exploding.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

Neocon heads exploding.

Over the Iran deal? Nah, they'll just say it's not good enough.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I don't understand why the Republicans put in so much effort to sabotage things when their base will seriously believe whatever horseshit they throw at them. Why do we need to bring reality into this process on any level?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mauser posted:

I don't understand why the Republicans put in so much effort to sabotage things when their base will seriously believe whatever horseshit they throw at them. Why do we need to bring reality into this process on any level?

Their backers stand to make fat stacks mountains with another war?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Still time to change your vacation trip from Cuba to Iran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So is there an actual chance that the GOP fucks this deal up?

• Locked thread