Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Serious question. Why do people need to know their heart rate and all this poo poo all of a sudden

Same reason I want a 3000m water resistant dive watch to wear while I'm banging away at the keyboard in my cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
To be a real success, the Watch needs to have a killer app that isn't just for fitness buffs. Of the percentage of the general population that works out regularly, an even smaller percentage actually use fitness trackers, and even less of them care enough about heart rate monitoring to make this an instant sale.

There has to be something else that you can do with the Watch that you can't do with anything else that makes it desirable for the general population. The iPod had the scrollwheel and music management, iPhone had a browser and fullscreen apps, iPad bridged the gap between laptop and couch surfing, the Watch has....I dunno. I would have liked to see more of that drawing interface for communicating between two people, I think that is unique. Would be fun to draw stuff for my wife as a sweet gesture or send elaborate dick drawings to friends. Not sure if it's strong enough though.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

smoobles posted:

Anyone else considering getting one just for the heart rate monitor? I've been through three Bluetooth HR chest straps in a year. They always seem to work great until they spontaneously die for no reason (they steadily have like 2.5 - 3 stars on Amazon for that reason)

Hope Apple can do it right.

They do make wrist heart rate monitors already, for $150 or so. They seem to work well. For instance: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/fuse-depth-review.html

Another $100 bucks gets you GPS, like this TomTom one: http://www.tomtom.com/en_us/sports/running/products/runner-cardio-gps-watch/white-red/

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Serious question. Why do people need to know their heart rate and all this poo poo all of a sudden

People love graphs. This is another data point to put on a graph.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

To be a real success, the Watch needs to have a killer app that isn't just for fitness buffs. Of the percentage of the general population that works out regularly, an even smaller percentage actually use fitness trackers, and even less of them care enough about heart rate monitoring to make this an instant sale.

I don't think it needs a killer app. As with all new tech, early adopters and first movers are what help define the product need. The iPhone didn't tip into ubiquity until the 4S. Same with the iPad. It didn't shoot up until the mini was released.

There will always be reasons for the general public to avoid a new product but once it is one or two generations in, initial problems are worked out, apps have matured, and 3rd party ecosystems have sprung up. The biggest draw for me is having quick access to notifications and fitness tracking. I count steps. I generally don't take my phone out in public (nyc) so being able to quickly see what email headline I got or who I got a text from is very compelling to me. I think the same is true for other early adopters. Probably not the general public.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

There has to be something else that you can do with the Watch that you can't do with anything else that makes it desirable for the general population.

Easy: status symbol... You can show it off at all times since it's not sitting in your pocket like your (i)phone. That's what will make it successful.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Super Dude posted:

I can't get over the fact that it's a fanny pack with a tighter fit. I'll stick with my arm band, it doesn't bother me.

On the website they have all their models wearing it over their shirts to show off the product. I wear mine under my shirt and it's honestly like I'm wearing nothing at all. If I'm not jumping into the shower immediately after I finish running for whatever reason then I'll almost always completely forget I'm wearing it, until I eventually do head to the shower and suddenly go "oh poo poo!".

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Local newspaper has an article (behind paywall, dont have access) titled

"Sales of Apple watch banned in Switzerland "

Google fails me, anyone heard this ? If it's true I'm buying a fake switch watch, a seiko and an apple watch, because this is some petty bullshit right there.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
April fools.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Biodome posted:

April fools.

Nah, it's from the 2nd, not Aprils fool day. Plus it's not even remotely funny.
Oh wait, this is from the same idiots whose joke yesterday was a new Tintin comic called "alert in Fukushima " illustrated with a bright yellow guy on the cover.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Santas Ainol Elf posted:

What is the app going to tell you about your pace that you wouldn't already know from your actual physical feedback (i.e. how tired you are or how out of breath you are)?

"Oh sorry, app says here that I'm actually not tired at all, okay go faster legs!"

For me, it's all about giving an accurate estimate on how effective my exercising is (ie. how many calories I'm burning). The more information gathered, the more accurate results. For example, my 5S tracks steps, but it doesn't track elevation. If were to climb up 20 flights of stairs, or a very steep hill, I'm going to burn significantly more calories. For all my 5S knows, I just had a leisurely quarter mile stroll in park. With the apple watch monitoring heart rate, it's going to be a lot more accurate.

I'm not some marathon runner or anything, I've just been working on losing weight. I'm far, far from a fitness expert but technology like this helps a dummy like me understand how effective my efforts are and what changes I need to make to stay on track. Do I need to walk/run faster? How much of a difference does it make if I walk up the hill vs around it?

I do have a fitbit that monitors elevation but it's so small I keep losing the drat thing. It's also useless for anything but running and walking, where as it seems the watch can track more things like cycling, and rowing, etc. It really seems like it's going to be the best fitness tracker available, along with being a pretty cool watch.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Unlike other fitness trackers which just report metrics to phones/computers, the watch is a programmable computer. Who knows what devs are going to come up with in the near future.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel like a Garmin would suit some of you so much better than an Apple Watch. Especially if you aren't going to bring a phone with you.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I feel like a Garmin would suit some of you so much better than an Apple Watch. Especially if you aren't going to bring a phone with you.

Their new gps watch even has bluetooth built in for notifications. And it's actually waterproof. Makes way more sense for those wanting to use it as an active watch.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The problem is the Garmin doesn't suit anything.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

KingEup posted:

The problem is the Garmin doesn't suit anything.

Pretty sick UI too

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

monkeu posted:

Pretty sick UI too

err... you need to wear a chest strap.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I spent a good 15-minutes looking over all the Pebble, Garmin, Nike watches at Bestbuy and it makes perfect sense why Apple made a watch.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
This is why the Apple Watch sells for the price it sells at

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah? That seems mostly focused on the software to be honest, and trying to justify why the watch exists at all.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smackfu posted:

Yeah? That seems mostly focused on the software to be honest, and trying to justify why the watch exists at all.

I liked the part where they started working on it just because, and trusted they'd find reasons why it would be useful to anyone during the process. Also the part where they thought making presses of different pressures do different things, like hiding app-specific idiosyncratic settings behind an undiscoverable gesture like "press harder." It's like the old Android menu button but worse; try pressing on every screen to see what settings are hiding there, no not a normal press, a HARD press! Also that the font is blocky with rounded edges ~just like the watch~ lol.

Though I actually genuinely like the part where they say they focused on making your interactions with the watch only 5-10 seconds, because it shouldn't just be a small-screened iPhone strapped to your wrist like so many people seem to think. You shouldn't be scrolling through your twitter feed on your tiny watch when your phone is in your pocket.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 3, 2015

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

RVProfootballer posted:

I liked the part where they started working on it just because, and trusted they'd find reasons why it would be useful to anyone during the process. Also the part where they thought making presses of different pressures do different things, like hiding app-specific idiosyncratic settings behind an undiscoverable gesture like "press harder." It's like the old Android menu button but worse; try pressing on every screen to see what settings are hiding there, no not a normal press, a HARD press! Also that the font is blocky with rounded edges ~just like the watch~ lol.

Though I actually genuinely like the part where they say they focused on making your interactions with the watch only 5-10 seconds, because it shouldn't just be a small-screened iPhone strapped to your wrist like so many people seem to think. You shouldn't be scrolling through your twitter feed on your tiny watch when your phone is in your pocket.

I guarantee you a lot of the first round of apps will end up being like this though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You shouldn't be typing emails or browsing the Internet on your phone when your laptop is in your bag.

Technology gets smaller and more integrated, and if it's done well then tweets and small pictures ala Instagram will be fine to scroll through on a watch or other interface like glasses, etc. You see a small snippet on your watch, then flip over to your phone to read the full article, reply, etc. Just watch Her to see how seamless it could be. Microcommunications don't require a 1080p, 5.5" screen to consume.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 3, 2015

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

You shouldn't be typing emails or browsing the Internet on your phone when your laptop is in your bag.

Technology gets smaller and more integrated, and if it's done well then tweets and small pictures ala Instagram will be fine to scroll through on a watch or other interface like glasses, etc. You see a small snippet on your watch, then flip over to your phone to read the full article, reply, etc. Just watch Her to see how seamless it could be. Microcommunications don't require a 1080p, 5.5" screen to consume.

The more accurate comparison would be writing novels on your phone vs laptop, IMO, and I would tell you to use your laptop. Writing emails and browsing the internet is more convenient on your phone than your laptop, since you can be standing somewhere, holding it in your hand.

Reading twitter or Instagram is not more convenient on the watch than your phone, as you'll not only be using one hand to navigate, but also holding your other arm/wrist in a specific way. Sort of like using 1.5 hands to browse the watch vs 1 hand for the phone. Then there's the 2" or whatever display vs 4-5". On Instagram, you'll see the photo but no comments, I bet, then fit 2-3 comments on watch screen vs 6-7 or however many on your phone. Same general thing with twitter. Much more scrolling, much less information presented at once.

If reading twitter on your wrist is the big draw, I just think you're going to be disappointed :shrug: I just see, literally, no advantage to doing something like reading twitter on a watch vs a phone. It'd be one thing if you could replace the phone with the watch, and then you could argue that the twitter/Instagram is good enough for the savings in convenience of carrying just the watch, but you'll need the phone to be able to use the watch anyway.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 3, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I respond to, and author new, work emails from my phone while sitting in front of my computer all the time. This is a common behavior with business types.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jealous Cow posted:

I respond to, and author new, work emails from my phone while sitting in front of my computer all the time. This is a common behavior with business types.

Handoffs and Airdrop have really changed my workflow. I often start a task on my phone and then send it to my computer, or vice-versa. Airdropping a link from Tweetbot to Safari on my Mac in particular is awesome. I love convergence.

Meanwhile, Apple released Guided Tour videos for Apple Watch:
http://www.apple.com/watch/guided-tours/

I wish I could shake the feeling that it is a product in search of a problem. I can see definite flashes of potential, but it just doesn't feel like it has the cohesive sense of purpose that the original iPhone did. I hope I was just more of an unbridled optimist back in 2007.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kobayashi posted:

I wish I could shake the feeling that it is a product in search of a problem. I can see definite flashes of potential, but it just doesn't feel like it has the cohesive sense of purpose that the original iPhone did. I hope I was just more of an unbridled optimist back in 2007.

quote:

Apple decided to make a watch and only then set out to discover what it might be good for (besides, you know, displaying the time). “There was a sense that technology was going to move onto the body,” says Alan Dye, who runs Apple’s human interface group. “We felt like the natural place, the place that had historical relevance and significance, was the wrist.”

The purpose of the wrist-mounted technology, what problems it might solve—that was something the Watch team would come up with slowly, during the process of inventing a bunch of new ways to interact with the device.

There's the official word from the fluff piece.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Smart Watches are a fad, and a bad one. People are going to realize that trying to hold your arm really still while you try to scroll on it with your finger and read some extremely tiny screen is pretty much useless. The speakerphone on your wrist is a loving travesty as well.
drat you're right.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

zen death robot posted:

Smart Watches are a fad, and a bad one. People are going to realize that trying to hold your arm really still while you try to scroll on it with your finger and read some extremely tiny screen is pretty much useless. The speakerphone on your wrist is a loving travesty as well.

This isn't the purpose of the device.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

This isn't the purpose of the device.

Bottom Liner posted:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Yea, that's my point?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

zen death robot posted:

Tim was really happy about the speakerphone feature during the keynote.

http://www.wired.com/2015/04/the-apple-watch/

quote:

Along the way, the Apple team landed upon the Watch’s raison d’ętre. It came down to this: Your phone is ruining your life. Like the rest of us, Ive, Lynch, Dye, and everyone at Apple are subject to the tyranny of the buzz—the constant checking, the long list of nagging notifications. “We’re so connected, kind of ever-presently, with technology now,” Lynch says. “People are carrying their phones with them and looking at the screen so much.” They’ve glared down their noses at those who bury themselves in their phones at the dinner table and then absentmindedly thrust hands into their own pockets at every ding or buzz. “People want that level of engagement,” Lynch says. “But how do we provide it in a way that’s a little more human, a little more in the moment when you’re with somebody?”

Our phones have become invasive. But what if you could engineer a reverse state of being? What if you could make a device that you wouldn’t—couldn’t—use for hours at a time? What if you could create a device that could filter out all the bullshit and instead only serve you truly important information? You could change modern life. And so after three-plus decades of building devices that grab and hold our attention—the longer the better—Apple has decided that the way forward is to fight back.

Apple, in large part, created our problem. And it thinks it can fix it with a square slab of metal and a Milanese loop strap.

The goal was to free people from their phones, so it is perhaps ironic that the first working Watch prototype was an iPhone rigged with a Velcro strap. “A very nicely designed Velcro strap,” Lynch is careful to add.

The business implications are important to Apple, of course, but the problem the Watch aims to solve is legitimately important outside of Cupertino. If the Watch is successful, it could impact our relationship with our devices. Technology distracts us from the things we should pay the most attention to—our friends, moments of awe, a smile from across the room. But maybe a technology can give those moments back. Whether Apple is the company to make that technology is the three-quarters-of-a-trillion-dollar-market-cap question.

Lynch is leaning forward in his chair, telling me about his kids: about how grateful he is to be able to simply glance at his Watch, realize that the latest text message isn’t immediately important, and then go right back to family time; about how that doesn’t feel disruptive to him—or them.

A moment later, he stands up. He has to leave; he owes Dye and Ive an update on something important. In all the time we’ve been talking, he’s never once looked at his phone.

Basically anyone who's complaining that the Apple Watch won't be able to completely replace their phones is completely missing the point. It's meant to complement our phones, and give us a way to still remain connected without shutting out the outside world to the extent that so many people so often do with their smart phones these days. Plus it's an awesome fitness tracker.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Thanks for posting the entire text to that really long ad though
lol if you think that's "really long". Browsing on your watch or something?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

zen death robot posted:

Most ads are a lot shorter
Heh, you said it again in case someone missed it the first time. Nice.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Whirlwind Jones posted:

lol if you think that's "really long". Browsing on your watch or something?

:lol:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Sick burns on Friday night in the IYG Apple Watch thread.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

quote:

Along the way, the Apple team landed upon the Watch’s raison d’ętre. It came down to this: Your phone is ruining your life.

Apple finally admits that the iPhone ruins lives. :colbert:

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I won't be buying an Apple Watch, but I freely admit that if this was just the same product with the same features but in a mostly unobtrusive set of eyewear, I would be making GBS threads myself right now.

Honestly I feel like Apple Glasses would be the "holy poo poo" moment with more crazy possibilities for apps. GPS overlay, reminders, heartrate if you're into that, basically a HUD for your life.

Jobs would have given us super future glasses. :(

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

I won't be buying an Apple Watch, but I freely admit that if this was just the same product with the same features but in a mostly unobtrusive set of eyewear, I would be making GBS threads myself right now.

Honestly I feel like Apple Glasses would be the "holy poo poo" moment with more crazy possibilities for apps. GPS overlay, reminders, heartrate if you're into that, basically a HUD for your life.

I like you. We should have a beer sometime.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

smoobles posted:

Anyone else considering getting one just for the heart rate monitor? I've been through three Bluetooth HR chest straps in a year. They always seem to work great until they spontaneously die for no reason (they steadily have like 2.5 - 3 stars on Amazon for that reason)

Hope Apple can do it right.

Yeah, just the fact that strapless heartrate monitors all seem to be in the $200 range is probably part of how I'd justify the purchase to myself if I decide to go for it. The truth will be I have a gadget-sized hole in my heart but whatever.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

bloodysabbath posted:

I'd be totally okay with Apple replacing my Retina with some UXHD^9999999 Device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Tab8715 posted:

I'd be totally okay with Apple replacing my Retina with some UXHD^9999999 Device.

Apple EyePhone: What Could Be More Retina Than YOUR Retina!

Retail price: One (1) Eyeball.

• Locked thread