Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Just got an e-mail saying season 4 of Bob's Burgers is up on Netflix. Watch it. It's real good. It's at least as good as season 3 and at some points it's probably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

ravenkult posted:

Can I get some recs for movies similar to Rear Window? I've seen Body Double, Disturbia and The Burbs.

Also any movies about secluded cabins, houses, wilderness and so on.

Fright Night (80's version) is similar, if you're not averse to horror elements.

Also as for cabin/secluded movies you could check We Are What We Are, or Mr. Jones. The first I pretty much like with no reservations, the second has some interesting points but seems to kinda not deliver.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 1, 2015

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Just watched VHS Viral and I didn't hate it? :shrug: It is certainly a total departure from the first two films, so much so that I wouldn't even recognize it as being part of the franchise if it weren't the loving title.

Maybe I just didn't suffer from high expectations, particularly since the entire thread bashed it earlier, but I had a lot of fun watching it. Nothing scary in this movie, nothing even really worth calling horror. But that, to me, does not make it a bad film. VHS 3 felt coherent, like there was something it was trying to say. Maybe they didn't achieve it in a satisfactory manner, but they definitely weren't just throwing blood and death at a screen. There is purpose here, something to do with reversals of fortune and subverting expectations, I just haven't decided what it is yet.

If you want another VHS, then this definitely is not the film for you. If you want to shut your brain off and watch some kinda fun poo poo that comes out of nowhere, this movie is pretty solid. Treat it like Detention and just enjoy the spectacle. Or go total sperg and analyze the hell out of it, because that can be fun too.

Whatever you do, don't go into this movie unless you really want to, because I guarantee you'll have a terrible loving time and just get mad at poor ol' Chiche.

Ehh, it's ok but I thought the segments were maybe the weakest of the bunch. I think a couple of the segments actually had ideas that were kinda cool but I don't like how they were executed. I actually wish they would've fleshed out the wrapper on this one a lot more. I do agree with you that it's not particularly scary. The skateboard part was kinda fun though (and was by far my fave segment).

mr. why posted:

Resolution is really good.
Echoing this, that was way better than I expected it to be.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

alansmithee posted:

Ehh, it's ok but I thought the segments were maybe the weakest of the bunch. I think a couple of the segments actually had ideas that were kinda cool but I don't like how they were executed. I actually wish they would've fleshed out the wrapper on this one a lot more. I do agree with you that it's not particularly scary. The skateboard part was kinda fun though (and was by far my fave segment).

Echoing this, that was way better than I expected it to be.

I definitely agree that the segments are weaker as horror, I'm just not sure that they were even intended as horror. Like the skateboard one in particular. I had an absolute blast watching that scene, but it felt more like what I imagine Evil Dead to be (shut up, I know I need to watch that and I will do so someday.) than an actual horror film.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chichevache posted:

I definitely agree that the segments are weaker as horror, I'm just not sure that they were even intended as horror. Like the skateboard one in particular. I had an absolute blast watching that scene, but it felt more like what I imagine Evil Dead to be (shut up, I know I need to watch that and I will do so someday.) than an actual horror film.

Evil Dead is a (mostly) straight-faced horror film. Evil Dead 2 is where things get goofy.

And you're right that you need to watch them, but you done hosed up because Evil Dead 2 was taken off Netflix just today. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Oh yeah I could see that (although I think the second segment is probably more supposed to be "horror" but w/e). And yeah the skateboard scene was really fun I thought.

Also fwiw the first Evil Dead is pretty much straight horror, Evil Dead 2 is mostly horror but with some stuff being played for laughs and Evil Dead 3/Army of Darkness is pretty much pure action with demon/zombies.

I guess my big problem with Viral was that it came out near ABCs of Death 2 and didn't seem to be as good as that (whereas I liked both V/H/S movies a decent amount and kinda thought the first ABCs of Death was lame).

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
So stoked to watch Louie season 4! Thanks for the heads up.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

axleblaze posted:

Just got an e-mail saying season 4 of Bob's Burgers is up on Netflix. Watch it. It's real good. It's at least as good as season 3 and at some points it's probably better.

Oh hell yeah.

Sarchasm posted:

And you're right that you need to watch them, but you done hosed up because Evil Dead 2 was taken off Netflix just today. Hopefully it'll be back soon.

The first two Evil Deads cycle on and off Netflix pretty often. Just a heads-up for those that haven't seen them, you can totally watch the second without seeing the first, because it's basically a remake.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
It gets a bit wacky at times, but Confession of Murder may be the most unrelentingly hosed up Korean thriller I have seen. Everything is set up beautifully, so I didn't actually have any trouble suspending my disbelief. The fights and chases are absolutely fantastic. There is one scene that uses some slightly noticeable CGI, but the scale of the scene is so impressive it is hard for me to fault them for it. Cinematography and transitions that are on the level of Park Chan-wook as well.

If you enjoyed Yellow Sea, I Saw the Devil, or any of the Revenge trilogy, this movie is probably for you.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
So I just watched the first VHS and found it a slog to even make it to the end credits. Should I give the others a wide birth or do they get better?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

So I just watched the first VHS and found it a slog to even make it to the end credits. Should I give the others a wide birth or do they get better?

i would say there's still a chance you'll like the Gareth Evans segment in part 2, but probably skip the rest.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

ozmunkeh posted:

The 3rd one, VHS Viral, might be fun for you to try. Everyone who likes the first 2 hates the 3rd.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
I'll give them a go then. I liked the idea of the haunted house and the fake jason but the execution was baaaad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There is literally no way to predict if someone will like or dislike any particular VHS segment.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is literally no way to predict if someone will like or dislike any particular VHS segment.

:agreed:

Half the fun of the movies is other people's reaction to them.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Chichevache posted:

It gets a bit wacky at times, but Confession of Murder may be the most unrelentingly hosed up Korean thriller I have seen. Everything is set up beautifully, so I didn't actually have any trouble suspending my disbelief. The fights and chases are absolutely fantastic. There is one scene that uses some slightly noticeable CGI, but the scale of the scene is so impressive it is hard for me to fault them for it. Cinematography and transitions that are on the level of Park Chan-wook as well.

If you enjoyed Yellow Sea, I Saw the Devil, or any of the Revenge trilogy, this movie is probably for you.

Thanks for this tip, I've seen all the standard Korean thrillers and was jonesing for something new.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

knows a black guy posted:

Thanks for this tip, I've seen all the standard Korean thrillers and was jonesing for something new.

Let me know what you think. I felt like something was very different about this one, but I am having trouble pinpointing why I feel that way.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Netflix sent me an extra disc for some reason. Looks like I get to watch Banshee along with my Strike Back and Person Of Interest discs.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Man. I'm gonna say it's probably not worth the risk. lovely, extremely unsatisfying, boring movie.

Glad more people are watching Housebound because it's fantastic. For all of the hype Babadook and It Follows are getting, it's kind of lame Housebound slipped under the radar because it's by far the best of the three.

Haven't seen It Follows but imo Babadook is quite a bit better than Housebound. That said I think they try to do very different things and both are worth seeing, definitely.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I'm a huge huge 30 Rock fan but Kimmy Schmidt has felt kind of "off" to me so far. I am enjoying the Jeff Richmond score, though. It makes it really feel like the Tinaverse.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

ozmunkeh posted:

Couldn't get through the first VHS, tried VHS Viral when I was folding laundry and found I enjoyed it. Just don't go in with high expectations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Hubbardologist posted:

As for recommendations, Syriana went up on US Netflix about 2 weeks ago. Good slow burn political thriller composed of seemingly unrelated plotlines about the Middle East and oil, supported by a solid cast -- Damon, Clooney, Jeffrey Wright, Christopher Plummer, Chris Cooper and a whole bunch of other good actors. I think it's slow burn, anyway; I watched it back when it came out and I was far less politically aware (read: a dumb teenager), and might have glazed over more subtle plot elements. I found my Michael Clayton DVD the other day, so I'm excited to do a George Clooney political/corporate thriller double feature. I wonder what Monsanto conspiracy has kept that from going up on streaming services. :tinfoil:

My fiancee and I started Syriana last night and finished it tonight, it still holds up pretty well. Like you, I first saw it as a teenager when I had some idea of what I was supposed to get out of it and how to follow along, but watching it again, it's much clearer and is still very compelling regardless. You can pair it pretty well with Traffic (obviously), the Bourne trilogy, and Michael Clayton* - they're all visually and tonally very similar (as well as in messaging, honestly), and they're all probably at least smarter than the average movie in their genres. Syriana went to the trouble of using correct dialects for all the different Arabic speakers! Pretty neat.

The fact that all of these other than Traffic have overlaps in casting makes it fun. It's like alternate-universe versions of the same characters, since the actors' roles are sort of same in each movie. George Clooney's character Michael Clayton (we never learn his real name in Syriana, I believe) could have grown up to be a high-powered lawyer or veteran spy, Chris Cooper could've been a sociopathic oilman or a CIA/Treadstone officer, and Matt Damon could've been a high-powered economist or super-spy; all depending on random circumstances :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

precision posted:

On topic, season 4 of Louie is up and is probably the weirdest season of a "comedy" show you're likely to see. There are almost no jokes in it, for one. It's more like one long surreal art movie, but in a good way.

The non jokes in Louie still make me laugh my rear end off though, it's like anti humor a lot of the time. But at the same time it's always been that way, from the first episode with the girl running to the helicopter and flying away while giving him the finger.

I'm only 3 episodes in to season 4 and I was belly laughing through most of episode 2, with Yvonne Strahovski. Having only one person laugh at him while he bombs, or just them continually yelling "what?" across the courtyard cracked me up. That's what makes Louie so funny anyway, it's the ridiculousness of normal life turned up to 10. Like I have friends who do that too, and my daughter is starting to do it. Instead of talking louder or walking closer, they just repeat themselves at nearly the same volume so I don't hear them yet again. This makes me laugh about that.

As for cabin horror or suspense, The Tall Man wasn't terrible, definitely has the isolation/suspense down.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

LloydDobler posted:

I'm only 3 episodes in to season 4 and I was belly laughing through most of episode 2, with Yvonne Strahovski. Having only one person laugh at him while he bombs, or just them continually yelling "what?" across the courtyard cracked me up. That's what makes Louie so funny anyway, it's the ridiculousness of normal life turned up to 10. Like I have friends who do that too, and my daughter is starting to do it. Instead of talking louder or walking closer, they just repeat themselves at nearly the same volume so I don't hear them yet again. This makes me laugh about that.
His fall as he entered the house at the beach was an amazing moment in that episode as well.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Ohvee posted:

His fall as he entered the house at the beach was an amazing moment in that episode as well.

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

For future reference.

(And Point Break)

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

coyo7e posted:

I dunno, Bojack Horseman broke my preconceptions.

I was talking about Unbreakable Kimmy Schimt rather than pilots in general. I think the tone of the show is pretty established early on, and if you absolutely hate it that won't change. Bojack benefits from pushing forward if it doesn't click early.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

cyberia posted:

Seconding Point Break. Maybe The Last Boy Scout or Bad Boys. Also obvious Die Hard 2

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Haven't seen It Follows but imo Babadook is quite a bit better than Housebound. That said I think they try to do very different things and both are worth seeing, definitely.

Yeah different strokes for different folks. Housebound just felt more original to me and Babadook felt like something that I've seen a bunch of times before. They are both good and absolutely worth watching though.

Might just take a chance of VHS 3. I thought the first two were garbage but pretty entertaining. Was 3 even in theaters or was it a straight to VOD thing? poo poo, come to think of it I don't even know if 1 or 2 were in theaters.

Edit: is Hell any good? If not, any other lesser known apocalyptic stuff worth watching on Netflix?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Apr 3, 2015

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: is Hell any good? If not, any other lesser known apocalyptic stuff worth watching on Netflix?

It's decent? It's pretty predictable and it feels like a poor man's The Road with less soul crushing. It doesn't really do much with the premise and it's fairly by-the-numbers.

You could check out The Last Days. Basically everyone becomes agoraphobic to the point of dying from panic attacks if they go outside. So people have to find ways to stay inside. Everything goes to poo poo.

It's still a fairly standard apocalyptic/disaster movie, but it's got some pretty good scenes in it, and they do some interesting stuff with the premise.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

NESguerilla posted:

I remember being mildly entertained by it but I totally forget the ending/plot. Ultimately I think that was my impression of the movie: Gritty, well shot and acted, but forgettable.

Love is a sci-fi story about a guy trapped on the ISS. Dark and a bit abstract.

I actually haven't seen it but How I Live Now is still on streaming. I think there was a moderately positive response to the film here.

You probably saw it in recent discussion but in case you missed it Automata is worth a watch.

Comedy option: Tank Girl. I actually watched this for the first time last weekend, even though I had seen parts over the years. It's by no means a "good" film, it's too disjointed for it's own good. But it's just so bizzare with some decent production value and star power behind it. Very much "peak 90's". If you want to see Freddy Hayes from House of Cards dressed up as a beatnik mutant kangaroo spec-ops ninja, this is your movie.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 3, 2015

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

-Point Break or Bad Boys II?
-Which one do you think I'll prefer?
-No, I mean which one do you want to watch first?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Thank you for both of those. I was actually thinking of Point Break so I guess I'll go with that. Might have to do a Bad Boys I / II viewing tomorrow, too.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
When does Bates Motel start kickin'?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

When does Bates Motel start kickin'?

I'd say the middle-end of season 1 and most of season 2.

The end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3 (which just started) are very much kicking. :suspense:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

LogisticEarth posted:

Comedy option: Tank Girl. I actually watched this for the first time last weekend, even though I had seen parts over the years. It's by no means a "good" film, it's too disjointed for it's own good. But it's just so bizzare with some decent production value and star power behind it. Very much "peak 90's". If you want to see Freddy Hayes from House of Cards dressed up as a beatnik mutant kangaroo spec-ops ninja, this is your movie.
I thought it was fantastic. Maybe not as hilarious as it thinks it is, but the art style and soundtrack are great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Tank Girl completely unironically owns

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

The end of season 2 and the beginning of season 3 (which just started) are very much kicking. :suspense:
Yo, post in the thread I made so it's not just me and like 2 other people talking about that show which is very dope haha

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I love what a hodgepodge of ridiculous poo poo Tank Girl is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

precision posted:

Alright, only 9 episodes left, I'll stick it out.