Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Pope Guilty posted:

The "Xbox Sign Out" video is like that- most of the people who fall for it seem to find it funny and appreciate the joke.

*sexy girl laugh*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
step 1: stream some popular game
step 2: once you have a bunch of people watching, change your feed to show the goatman
step 3: laugh at people going crazy

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

-Troika- posted:

step 2: once you have a bunch of people watching, change your feed to show the goatman
Why would showing people a picture of the trickster god Pan be funny?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Why would showing people a picture of the trickster god Pan be funny?

It'll cause a real pandemonium.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Slime posted:

It'll cause a real pandemonium.
Oh, you're going to do it in World of Warcraft?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
I griefed myself in Dark Souls 2 by finishing it then starting a new game just before the DLC came out. I thought the game was good but man it was a chore to play through most of it again just to get to the extra content. And since it was new game, all the bosses are a lot tougher. I still haven't finished the DLC.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

-Troika- posted:

It's been done, kind of.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1fE4ptyLTU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Disco De Soto posted:

I griefed myself in Dark Souls 2 by finishing it then starting a new game just before the DLC came out. I thought the game was good but man it was a chore to play through most of it again just to get to the extra content. And since it was new game, all the bosses are a lot tougher. I still haven't finished the DLC.

I did exactly the same thing, but what I found was that playing the game like 'Oh gently caress off just let me get to the new bit' instead of taking my time, and cheesing it really hard to just get through, actually made it all a lot easier and actually made me play better. (Because in reality 'cheesing it' is just playing well). The DLC was weird. I'd get stuck at certain bits for ages and ages and ages, and then suddenly I'd be able to beat that bit 100% of the time. Like it wasn't a steady progression, I'd just suddenly master a boss and it would go from nightmarishly hard to impossibly easy. Very weird.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Until recently, in World of Warplanes, two planes ramming each other usually resulted in mutual death. This was changed to take an artificial "weight stat" into account, so that if, say, a single engine fighter of a lower tier crashed into a higher tier twin engine or a ground attack (the heaviest armored planes in the game), it'd get mowed down like a baby in front of a semi truck.

This led to the following exchange this morning after I sliced this guy's plane in half with my wing:

quote:

Today, 26 March 2015
03:01 kitkat7[-IBF-]: nice hack btw
03:01 Troika[PANSY]: there was no hack, read the dev blog about ramming
03:01 kitkat7[-IBF-]: sry but im not as stupid as u
03:01 Troika[PANSY]: they changed how it works a while back :)
03:01 Troika[PANSY]: http://blog.worldofwarplanes.com/2015/03/12/ramming-the-weapon-of-aces/
03:01 Troika[PANSY]: read it and weep ;p
03:01 kitkat7[-IBF-]: sry that u hafta hack and cheat ur way to victory oh and btw i blocked and reported u
03:02 kitkat7[-IBF-]: i feel bad fur u tho
03:02 kitkat7[-IBF-]: cant fight a fair fight
03:02 kitkat7[-IBF-]: pathetic really
03:02 kitkat7[-IBF-]: oh well if u wanna be pathetic go ahead
03:05 Troika[PANSY]: if you blocked me, why are you still talking to me <3
03:09 kitkat7[-IBF-]: oh well sry that ur such a noob at this game to play fair unlike me
03:10 Troika[PANSY]: Strong words for a guy with a sub-50% win ratio.
03:10 kitkat7[-IBF-]: oh wow u hack and cheat more than i thought
03:13 Troika[PANSY]: It's called "having 5,000 battles in the alpha and beta of WoWP". Try it sometime, I highly recommend it.
03:13 Troika[PANSY]: The alpha insignia on my planes is proof of my words~
03:14 kitkat7[-IBF-]: well i guess what they say is right pay to win
03:15 kitkat7[-IBF-]: hell ur probly still tryin to think of lame comebacks HA
03:15 kitkat7[-IBF-]: friggen noobs i tell ya
03:18 Troika[PANSY]: Nah I've just been playing games. So if you were gonna block me, why are you still PMing me? Is this a roundabout way of flirting or something? <3

I was playing multiple other matches this whole time while he kept raging at me in a PM window. Eventually he hosed off when I posted that last thing.

Bonus: the current PANSY clan insignia is a pink balkankreuz with Obama's face on it, with a halo above the face. So it's really really easy to make dumb people uncomfortable ingame just by existing.

ClassicFascist
Jul 8, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Until recently, in World of Warplanes, two planes ramming each other usually resulted in mutual death. This was changed to take an artificial "weight stat" into account, so that if, say, a single engine fighter of a lower tier crashed into a higher tier twin engine or a ground attack (the heaviest armored planes in the game), it'd get mowed down like a baby in front of a semi truck.

This led to the following exchange this morning after I sliced this guy's plane in half with my wing:

I was playing multiple other matches this whole time while he kept raging at me in a PM window. Eventually he hosed off when I posted that last thing.

Bonus: the current PANSY clan insignia is a pink balkankreuz with Obama's face on it, with a halo above the face. So it's really really easy to make dumb people uncomfortable ingame just by existing.

Sounds like you're griefing yourself by playing World of Warplanes...

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

ClassicFascist posted:

Sounds like you're griefing yourself by playing World of Warplanes...

:drat::master::iceburn::owned::hellyeah:

Have some more esteban instead of this garbage post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKTpOuX4OqM

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

-Troika- posted:

This kind of happens in War Thunder but it more often ends up in mutual death because of the speeds involved. But you can take high tier bombers and especially jet bombers and ram through biplanes and low level planes already notorious for being very lightweight like Japanese Zeroes for minimal damage on your end.

The thing that makes ramming so funny in airplane games is that the person getting rammed usually gets really mad but they have this big huge loving sky to fly in and somehow can't avoid a little plane flying through it when the whole point of the game is to line up your guns with your target before shooting them down.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
There is also another air war game called Aces High 2. What really infuriates people is kill stealing. People would shoot up a plane and it would lose control and stall to the ground. They would then swoop away feeling that they would get the kill. Then you fly in there and pump rounds into the stricken plane. They way they score it is who ever deals critical damage to the plane gets the kill. So shoot it up enough to kill the pilot or take off a wing and the kill is yours.

Before, it used to be whoever landed the last shot before the pilot either bailed, died, or crashed gets the kill. Much easier to steal kill then. My favorite thing to do was to sit in a half track with the quad guns and plink at planes falling to the ground and rack up kills. Now it's tougher but it can still be done.

Haven't played it in years now and I checked the forums to sell some of my flight sim stuff and people are still whining about the littlest things. A new grief now is people that would fly a bomber, bomb a target, then "tower", which is where you kill yourself and respawn in a new plane instantly. People are mad because there is no "honor" and that they wasted their time climbing to 20k feet to shoot down a bomber and then "poof" the bomber disappears or the pilot bails, denying a real kill which earns points.

Not to mention people still complain about pilots flying above 15k feet even though there are realistically modeled performance values for planes at certain altitudes.

Basically when you're old and ornery, you bitch a lot at simulators.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ringo Star Get posted:

A new grief now is people that would fly a bomber, bomb a target, then "tower", which is where you kill yourself and respawn in a new plane instantly. People are mad because there is no "honor" and that they wasted their time climbing to 20k feet to shoot down a bomber and then "poof" the bomber disappears or the pilot bails, denying a real kill which earns points.

To be fair, this is a legitimately annoying tactic.

Which makes it funny.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Aircraft in any multiplayer game attracts crybabies like dogshit attracts flies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You should be friendly to other players and not cause them undue aggravation. Games are supposed to be a fun activity for everyone to enjoy.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

sitchelin posted:

Aircraft in any multiplayer game attracts crybabies like dogshit attracts flies.

Dont forget spaceships.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

LiquidCatnip posted:

Dont forget spaceships.

It's any game really. The other day some people got upset I shot the other team in a multiplayer shooter and I still have no idea why or what was going on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I'm trying to remember a few occasions from my TFC hey-days. I remember that even with FF turned off, some weapons could still move friendly players. The sniper rifle was pretty good at shooting players across the map, I always used to play on one server and there were a lot of regulars so at times it was a nice strategy to employ with people you knew. But there's times I'd get bored, so if another person is sniping with me I sometimes liked to play a little game with them and only them. I'd make sure we're in a close spot together, crouch, manoeuvre behind them and then shoot them across the map. Which resulted in confusion and a few choice words in which I'd apologise profusely and claim it was an accident and that we crossed paths etc... Then I'd wait a little while and do it again, then again, then again. I remember one admin who didn't take too kindly to being a victim of it.

There's more but my memory is hazy and we're going back a few years. My TF2 spray is also Dickbutt, not exactly griefing but I chose prime locations to spray it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I'm trying to remember a few occasions from my TFC hey-days. I remember that even with FF turned off, some weapons could still move friendly players. The sniper rifle was pretty good at shooting players across the map, I always used to play on one server and there were a lot of regulars so at times it was a nice strategy to employ with people you knew. But there's times I'd get bored, so if another person is sniping with me I sometimes liked to play a little game with them and only them. I'd make sure we're in a close spot together, crouch, manoeuvre behind them and then shoot them across the map. Which resulted in confusion and a few choice words in which I'd apologise profusely and claim it was an accident and that we crossed paths etc... Then I'd wait a little while and do it again, then again, then again. I remember one admin who didn't take too kindly to being a victim of it.

There's more but my memory is hazy and we're going back a few years. My TF2 spray is also Dickbutt, not exactly griefing but I chose prime locations to spray it.

Oh man, and there was that one map, I think it was badlands? Where you could snipe a team mate playing as Engineer up onto a high up bit of geometry that was just supposed to be scenery, and he could build a sentry gun up there. That made it pretty much impossible to enter your base from that direction because you couldn't really shoot at it and it just pinned you to the ground. Classic.

If you're not familiar with TFC, in Team Fortress classic, each class had grenades, and a couple of them had concussion grenades. These blew any players away and caused their vision to sway (as if they were slowly moving the mouse in a figure 8), getting blown further away the closer you were to the initial blast. A trick that became a core part of the game was for these classes to time the grenades to go off just as they jumped, causing them to be propelled a great distance. (You could even chain it so that in mid air you did another huge jump in another direction, and maps dedicated solely to doing tricks in this manner became pretty popular).

Another awesome glitch was on the map Well. It was a capture the flag map, but thanks to a glitch in the map, in one of the teams (I think it was red) flag room, you could walk between textures if you climbed on top of a certain pipe and wiggled around a bit, which let you leave the confines of the level. If you used the conc-jumping technique described above, you could then actually get 'on top' of the level. You couldn't see anyone else below, and they couldn't see you, but you could throw grenades down (including the caltrops the scout has) and so to other players it would just look like it was raining grenades. You could also throw the flag down into your base, making it trivially easy to capture. Or you could just hold on to it for the entire match, making it impossible for your team to ever score.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was reading some MTG articles today and I found a story of the developers trying to grief each other. It's not a very successful story but I thought it was amusing.

Tom LaPille posted:

Sometimes people who work on Magic fight to kill cards that enable griefing. Extremely annoying cards sometimes don't survive, but other times those people's efforts are thwarted because we want to make griefer Timmies happy too. One instance of this from Magic 2010 is Silence, another one of the cards that Aaron Forsythe previewed in his announcement. Former Building on a Budget author and R&D member Nate Heiss argued that the card was a very bad thing to print because it was both miserable and powerful in tournament constructed, and he built tons decks that included it. He would then play them against various people to try to prove his point.

Nate's decks tended to include a bunch of little creatures, some removal spells, and Silences. He would curve out with some creatures and then Silence his opponent during upkeep when he thought his opponent might cast a spell. He would then try to convince his opponents that they were annoyed, but mostly they would just draw their card, play a land, and then wait a turn to play their spells. Sometimes, his opponents even had the audacity to respond to his Silences with instant removal spells, in which case the Silence didn't hurt them very much at all. Other times, both Nate and his opponent would create a creature stall, and when he drew a Silence in that situation he was effectively down a card.

In the end, Nate's efforts did not stop the card, and ironically convinced the Magic 2010 development team that the card was a great idea to print. He showed us that Silence wasn't going to be too powerful when used merely to grief people and that Silence would make people who enjoyed griefing very excited. Nate never really came around to this view, but the card made it out the door intact.

This story is beautiful to me because even though Nate was griefing us relentlessly, he wasn't doing it because he enjoyed it. Instead, he was doing it because he thought it was his responsibility to keep everyone else from doing it. In the process, however, he became exactly the thing that he hated. When the Magic web team heard this story, they dubbed Nate "the Rorschach of griefing," which is hilarious and awesome.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I pulled this epic grief on some homo when i told him he spelled vegeta wrong in his psn username

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
I once insinuated that a guy liked men and he got so mad and then I pointed that out to him and he got more mad.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Will you take me as your disciple?

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

I made a PSN account which spelled Vegeta wrong and that was enough to get some dude to call me a homo and tell me how it was "supposed" to be spelled

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
one time on psn this really whiny nerd got upset because someone else in the game had misspelled Vegeta in their name, they were both so annoying they griefed the whole server

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I posted in this thread.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I was born. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

StealthArcher posted:

I was born. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

i understood this reference

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

VideoGames posted:

i understood this reference

this makes me mad

i am reporting you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Machai posted:

this makes me mad

i am reporting you

do it!!!! bithc!!!!!

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
the hell's psn?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ernie Muppari posted:

the hell's psn?
Play Station Now!, Sony's weird social media experiment with digital avatars.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ernie Muppari posted:

the hell's psn?

Xbox Live, but with more anime.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ernie Muppari posted:

the hell's psn?

i think it's some kind of weird sex thing with anime

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Truga posted:

Xbox Live, but with more anime.

I've seen the XBL indie arcade, you can't fool me.

Jackard posted:

Will you take me as your disciple?

no. :troll:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
:negative:

I will look elsewhere...

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

New Esteban video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJzShvt2dGw

Bingemoose
Mar 24, 2014

Hurr Durr muts saf gotam cety

what game is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

Bingemoose posted:

what game is that?

A horrible one. It isnt really a game. Second Life.

• Locked thread