Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Codiekitty posted:

Xenogear's Final Dungeon: :suicide:

I finally got some drops to neutralize that loving Halo attack all the enemies have (one AntiAngelSys on Bart, two Angel Armor+'s on Fei and Citan), I just need to find the third switch to get to the hole to the final boss.

You poor, poor man. I just used a frickin' Gamefaqs page that gave me a very direct path, even if they did have a weird fixation with the word "bifurcation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I just explored. I haven't played it in ages, but I don't remembering it being all that complex.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Be sure to visit Pluto for Captain Fwiffo.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you're playing The Ur-Quan Masters without a spoiler-free walkthrough telling you the locations of points of interest, you can expect to lose your first time through and have to start over. This game came out in 1992! Take notes!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

dis astranagant posted:

Found a couple in Alpha Ptolemae but they barely gave me enough for one upgrade that isn't even terribly relevant yet. Whoever designed the loving lightning is an rear end in a top hat.

This is why I couldn't do anything more than shrug when everyone complained about mineral gathering in Mass Effect 2. :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bongo Bill posted:

If you're playing The Ur-Quan Masters without a spoiler-free walkthrough telling you the locations of points of interest, you can expect to lose your first time through and have to start over. This game came out in 1992! Take notes!

This is my second time, first was years ago. I was going to give it the benefit of the doubt and not just beeline for rainbow worlds and quests but after wasting the first 2 months getting struck by lightning on lovely planets I think I might just do that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Check out Starflight if you like StarCon. It's ugly and archaic but a bit more in depth and they give you a to do list up front.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The White Dragon posted:

You poor, poor man. I just used a frickin' Gamefaqs page that gave me a very direct path, even if they did have a weird fixation with the word "bifurcation."

I bumbled around without any landmarks pushed to the edge of my patience until I just stumbled to the finish. People say the story part of disk two is crap but that dungeon is what stuck out to me.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

I was running around in circles because I didn't realize one of the switches could be turned on and off depending on which direction you approached it from.

I'm actually glad the final boss was such a wimp after all that. Maybe he's slightly challenging if you don't take out his cores first?

The ending might have had more of an effect if the voice acting wasn't so atrocious. Like, not only does Krelian sounds completely stoned, the way he says "I've committed soooo many sins" was hilarious.

And what is it with Playstation games showing off their character's asses? The loading screens in Blaster Master: Blasting Again, that pale spot on the seat of Zell's pants in FF8, and now this game's ending.

Also, I'm not a man.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
now play xenosaga

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

corn in the bible posted:

now play xenosaga

Man, I am a huge fan of those games but even I'll admit that you're basically asking a dude to get punched in the balls for 100+ hours and then get some minor salve when it's almost done.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Idk, Xenocard was pretty fun. Never got around to playing the other 2 games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

Man, I am a huge fan of those games but even I'll admit that you're basically asking a dude to get punched in the balls for 100+ hours and then get some minor salve when it's almost done.

man xenosaga's easy poo poo. Just go make lunch or something during the longer cutscenes and always put your points into str and stuff so you kill everything super quick. and make sure to get that one safe thing that you can only get first time around cause the door doesn't open if you come back in the virtual wordamabobber later so you can get erde kaiser.

Hardest part in xenosaga was the boss on the elevator in cathedral and then the boss with that rear end in a top hat where he'd do poo poo based on shion and jr doing poo poo or something idk, but putting your points in strength helps negate that poo poo.

xenosaga 2 tho, don't play that. It's such a tedious bore and by the time I got to disc 2 it had just made me burn out on it, it's just so boring and the battles are so tediously long ugh.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I've heard the DS remake of xenosaga 1 & 2 was a pretty decent way to experience xenosaga 2

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FirstAidKite posted:

man xenosaga's easy poo poo.

xenosaga 2 tho, don't play that. It's such a tedious bore and by the time I got to disc 2 it had just made me burn out on it, it's just so boring and the battles are so tediously long ugh.

I wasn't talking difficulty, I was talking stuff like "the entire second game is horseshit".

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

But I don't have balls to get punched for 100+ hours, so I should be okay?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wasn't talking difficulty, I was talking stuff like "the entire second game is horseshit".

Well yeah the entire second game is horseshit

what if there was a xenosaga game where ziggy was useful

makes you think

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://groupees.com/bm18

drakensang river of time, 4 dollars.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The censorship in xenosaga 1 only made albedo more badass, then the censorship in xenosaga 2 made him more lame, imo

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

corn in the bible posted:

https://groupees.com/bm18

drakensang river of time, 4 dollars.

Is that game any good?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FirstAidKite posted:

what if there was a xenosaga game where ziggy was useful

makes you think

They called it HaKox. I made sure my set characters were Allen, Ziggy, Jr., and I forget who I used as a fourth. They had the best reactions to being pinballed around.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Is that game any good?

It's a good dragonage/baldur'sgate kinda crpg. bad dubbing, though.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ziggy was the coolest and the worst character in those games

The worst part of xenosaga 2 was when I was stuck in the momo dungeon fighting enemies that momo was strong against or whatever but I couldn't use her because I was in her head so I had to use everybody else who sucked at fighting the enemies, and then for a long time kos-mos couldn't even use her points for anything to unlock any new whatever-the-gently caress talents or poo poo were called in that game and I forget why but it was all dumb and stupid and you had to run that dungeon like 3 or 4 times ugh.

The highlight of that game was when vanderkam came back and you fought him in a giant machine with a big ol' cannon on it on lost jerusalem or whatever.

The xenosaga commercial was weird too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjVzzX7_Pl8

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

FirstAidKite posted:

Ziggy was the coolest and the worst character in those games

It's true, and it tells you a lot about the concept vs. execution of Xenosaga that a cyborg David Bowie with switchblade arms was one of the absolute worst people to have in your party.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

He was? I used him all game spamming that meteor kick or w/e it was and don't recall him particularly holding me back. He was no Rico.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

He was? I used him all game spamming that meteor kick or w/e it was and don't recall him particularly holding me back. He was no Rico.

In episode 1 he was the slowest party member in a game where speed was the most important stat. He couldn't pilot mechs, and he couldn't equip swimsuits. In episode 2 he couldn't contribute to air combos and all his attacks were fire elemental. It wasn't until the final game when you could put him in your party without gimping yourself in some way.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

It's true, and it tells you a lot about the concept vs. execution of Xenosaga that a cyborg David Bowie with switchblade arms was one of the absolute worst people to have in your party.

It also says a lot that Ziggy's concept is easily one of the least ludicrous among the playable character set, compared to, say, chaos or MOMO.

But yeah just play XS3, it's the only good one and it'll recap the first 2 games for you. Plus its soundtrack is bangin'.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wizardry 7 is IMO the best cRPG to come out of the 90s.
How doomed am I if I don't want to spend time trying to roll the best possible, or at least really good, starting stat bonuses for my party? Also reading the clue book makes the class system seem more complicated than probably anything I've ever seen in a game.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 3, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Zilkin posted:

How doomed am I if I don't want to spend time trying to roll the best possible, or at least really good, starting stat bonuses for my party? Also reading the clue book makes the class system seem more complicated than probably anything I've ever seen in a game.

Every time you class change in Wizardry 7 your stats reset to the minimum stat requirements for that class, and you're probably gonna want to class change most characters at least once, so starting stats don't matter that much in the long run.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is it normal to want to burn the Pkunk homeworld to the loving mantle by the time they finally quit harassing you long enough to get there?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So, random weird thing that I don't know where else to post: Imageepoch's been in dire straits for a while and suddenly their CEO is missing (called out by IF's CEO of all people).
Supposedly it's normal for business men to drop of the face of the earth when bad finances happen but this sure is weird considering Sega/Atlus is still localizing their game with the entire company dead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Recently I started playing Skyrim again after a several months hiatus and boy does the game hate me now for not plaing it. First I get ambushed by two of those huge polarbears and have to reload six times until I finally get lucky and beat them both, then just a bit later a giant ice spider blocks my way. Again I die several times until I get lucky and push through. Now the dungeon I'm exploring has undead with superpowers instead of the normal undead I can dispatch with ease. Cue being bathed in magic fire and ice several times while trying to wack those guys. Holy poo poo!

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Thuryl posted:

Every time you class change in Wizardry 7 your stats reset to the minimum stat requirements for that class, and you're probably gonna want to class change most characters at least once, so starting stats don't matter that much in the long run.

Speaking of changing classes after hours of reading how to build your party this is what I came up with:

male dracon priest > bishop
female elf bard > samurai
female hobbit thief > alchemist > ninja
female faerie mage > psionic > monk
male dwarf fighter > lord
female human fighter > valkyrie

Would appreciate feedback on how viable that combination looks.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

HGH posted:

So, random weird thing that I don't know where else to post: Imageepoch's been in dire straits for a while and suddenly their CEO is missing (called out by IF's CEO of all people).
Supposedly it's normal for business men to drop of the face of the earth when bad finances happen but this sure is weird considering Sega/Atlus is still localizing their game with the entire company dead.

While that is hilarious and kind of weird, I don't think anyone here would be too sad if they fell off the Earth never to be seen or heard from again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think his family would be very sad

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
It's pretty hosed up if CEOs of other game companies who presumably know him personally have to basically put his face on a digital milk carton because they can't find him or contact him in any way. That's definitely an occasion to worry.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah they're lovely games IMO but it seems like there's some weird critical mass that likes them so whatever. Still sucks to see people vanish.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Endorph posted:

i think his family would be very sad

Yeah that's honestly disturbing. I hope things turn out better at least.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He's a Japanese CEO so it would probably take his family a week to realise he was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
He's probably in a bar somewhere three sheets and trying to figure out his next move.