Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I'm not quite sure how to describe why I enjoy watching billymc's videos. He's an enigma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747
He's just genuinely funny to me. He really is an enigma. Saying your tastebuds matured and that's why you can now enjoy a bananasplit oreo is great.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BobbyK posted:

drat, it's little gems like this that make following this awful thread worth it. Thank you so much.

BillyMC is a magical ray of sunshine that makes the rest of youtube a little bit brighter.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

The Vosgian Beast posted:

How could you say that and then not post this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwoqyGQgEp8
This is the best thing :allears:

This is also a review about food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0YLfUIbDbg

Serious Talk: MikeJ reviewing food is a lot of fun to watch.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have this image of BillyMC in my mind and I cannot watch a video that actually has him in it cause it'll shatter my imagination :saddowns:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Leal posted:

I have this image of BillyMC in my mind and I cannot watch a video that actually has him in it cause it'll shatter my imagination :saddowns:

This is how I feel about Lime Popsicle.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Leal posted:

It will be worse than seeing what Jon Benjamin looks like. I'll never repeat that mistake.

BillyMC is this pure, concentrated naivete that I want to protect and preserve forever. The world can't be all bad as long as his childlike sense of wonder remains intact.

BobbyK
Jun 4, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Jack Gladney posted:

It will be worse than seeing what Jon Benjamin looks like. I'll never repeat that mistake.

BillyMC is this pure, concentrated naivete that I want to protect and preserve forever. The world can't be all bad as long as his childlike sense of wonder remains intact.

What were you expecting coach mcguirk to look like that you were actually disappointed?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Same, I've been watching his videos since Slowbeef first riffed him and I honestly think he's a genuinely pleasant guy.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

With his "Buyin' Billy" series I've realized that he has an unhealthy interest in sports and wrestling video games. Like, seriously. SO MANY GAMES.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
BillyMC ended up looking kinda fratbro-y, right?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Holy poo poo, Gabry Ponte was one of the guys behind Blue.

The man is basically a walking meme among my friends. I mean, click this link, watch the video and then think it's a loving XVII century ballad for sad Scotsmen.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Leal posted:

Does TGWTG have a food critic?

Nah, they don't follow the PER system.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why does all food critics look so slobby?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
BillyMC and LimePopsicle are delightful :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHz9dyfYLRQ

It's impossible to not smile at these videos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Calaveron posted:

BillyMC ended up looking kinda fratbro-y, right?

BillyMC is an underweight 12-year-old sending videos to us from 1992. He has a buzzcut and big, thick glasses. He's wearing a Spider-Man t-shirt and bright orange shorts. It's summer vacation there, so his mom lets him do a video every few days, but she makes him go outside each day for a while too, which slows down his output.

Don't you take this away from me. I am loving warning you not to take this away from me.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

OldTennisCourt posted:

BillyMC and LimePopsicle are delightful :allears: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHz9dyfYLRQ

It's impossible to not smile at these videos.

BillyMC and Lime are great, because they're both happy-go-lucky cornballs who seem to exist in a different time and place then the rest of us, and they somehow found each other and make videos together sometimes.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Lichtenstein posted:

Holy poo poo, Gabry Ponte was one of the guys behind Blue.

The man is basically a walking meme among my friends. I mean, click this link, watch the video and then think it's a loving XVII century ballad for sad Scotsmen.

Holy poo poo, I didn't expect him to save Christmas.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

The Vosgian Beast posted:

BillyMC and Lime are great, because they're both happy-go-lucky cornballs who seem to exist in a different time and place then the rest of us, and they somehow found each other and make videos together sometimes.

Honestly, even Lime and his cousin Pants is pretty great too.

I make fun, but they generally (Billy and Lime) are fun to watch.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Tying in the the whole food critic conversation with the earlier conversation about Japanese Pop Culture, I just was reminded of a Japanese YouTube channel that I really find interesting.

It's called Road of the Retort Pouch Curry King (RRCK), and it's about a dude reviewing different brands of instant curry in a white tux and stick on facial hair. There's a hell of a lot of them out there, considering that instant curry is it's own little industry with different regions and places in Japan offering their own instant curry as a souvenir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwE-RRP619k

It is all in Japanese though, but I find it interesting to see all the different instant curry brands.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's like hundreds of Japanese internet critic channels and they are mostly for food and consumer electronics and a lot of the synthesizer ones are really useful + funny.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
For brand food reviews, there's this really great blog called Brand Eating; the guy updates with what chains or supermarket brands are going to release, with details like locations, dates, special deals, etc. And if it's available nearby, he'll buy the product and try it himself. There's even updates to what chains release in the international sphere, it's pretty fascinating since it's stuff you probably won't ever see in the States since we're marketed to differently.

http://www.brandeating.com/

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/editing-how-to-speak-movie-part-3/
Kyle finished his little series on film by talking about editing, just want to say these were really informative for a layperson like me Kyle :)

Though I was going to say when you were talking about dissolves I was a bit disappointed you didn't use the "nice dissolve" scene from Spaceballs, but you made up for that with the Darkplace

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Those who enjoy watching the new crop of nerd reactions to Anita's videos:

Amazing Atheist - Haven't seen his vids in awhile. God is he a ham, still he's probably the most entertaining of the bunch.
https://youtu.be/EJjA4lKoHPc
https://medium.com/@amalythia/anita-sarkeesian-s-new-video-may-have-ulterior-motives-14d2802fbce7 - An article that purports that the new video is just a means to promote the indie game, Sword and Sorcery.
Jordan Owen - Better than nyquil, literally fall asleep watching his vids, although I admit he does have some good points from time to time ... then I fall asleep again when he starts reading from Atlas Shrugged. He makes Anita look lively.
https://youtu.be/wrN5Y9wMk0A
MrRepzion - April Fools!
https://youtu.be/7OzxDFjMeeM
AlphaOmegaSin - Another April Fools!
https://youtu.be/GzNUeN3iSws
Andrew Eison - What's this? A positive Anita Reaction vid? I don't think he's being sarcastic either ... but honestly it's hard to tell ... no wait it was posted on April 1st :(
https://youtu.be/El0QAPV3MFY

Also Liana K just posted a response to the response on her article responding to anti GG's response to GG's response to anti-GG's response to GG's response to anti-GG's response to GG's response to Anita Sarkesian's videos. Part 2

http://metaleater.com/video-games/feature/how-anita-sarkeesian-indirectly-gave-me-new-hope-for-video-games-part-2

And finally, somewhat related, I just found out that this webcomic exists.

http://kukuruyo.com/comic/gamergate-life-1/

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 6, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I find Anita Sarkeesian very boring to listen to and most of the alternatives she's advocating are incredibly bland designs and the outlook she has to what women 'Should' be in gaming is very drab. I cant event work up enough passion to have an opinion on her work since my eyes start drooping whenever I hear her talk.

it's directly because the idiot losers who hounded her that gave her the influence and media presence and funding she has. I cant even understand what makes any of these folks even mad, talk about the ultimate use case in self-defeating.

when you go look at her blog she takes well loved characters like Samus and simply adds bulky tank pilot armor to her zero suit and calls it 'empowerment', losing whatever striking design choices that made the character interesting to look at, which is entertainment art 101.

I dunno, I support the general gist of what she has to say, but I think there's a reason why there's so few videos compared to the hulabloo and media events she goes to.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

when you go look at her blog she takes well loved characters like Samus and simply adds bulky tank pilot armor to her zero suit and calls it 'empowerment', losing whatever striking design choices that made the character interesting to look at, which is entertainment art 101.

Yeah, why should a tough rugged bounty hunter character have a tough, rugged look? I can't masturbate to that at all.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Beats those dumb stiletto heels they gave her zero suit. That's only acceptable if they have guns on them like Bayonetta.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The heels don't matter, what matters is that ZSS shouldn't have existed in the first place and takes up the most boring, linear segment with the worst metroid boss in what is otherwise probably the best 2D metroid game.

I don't think the point where they decided samu's armor could just turn into light and vanish sometimes has led to anything good considering her just taking it off for a forced "you suck for a while" segment in that game or the bullshit that is Adam incapacitating her(with a secret weapon? with emotions? ????)in Other M. Why can't it just be a physical, metal suit?

On another note I only just saw the latest Best of the Worst and the cover for Undefeatable with the spear made me realize, it's always swords or guns. Never spears for some reason.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 4, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Because illiterate nerds don't seem to get the fact that a spear trumps a sword in pretty much all situations by virtue of poking someone to death.

But muh animus says sword a best.

On another note those reaction videos. Can't they at least once bother to actually address the points without twisting her words like they always do?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Guys, get off your high horses, I wasn't saying that zero suit samus is the best character design in the universe, what I'm saying is that she cant seem to provide alternative designs that are visually striking and interesting to look at. usually it's just "pile more clothing", with no thought into designs that make the character look interesting. the two things I can think of when she proposed alternatives was the boring Zelda gender-swap and the samus suit gears of war alternative. This line of thinking has the negative effect that it ends up putting characters like Bayonetta, one of the best-designed female lead characters in arguably one of the best action games of all time, in a particular negative bracket to the point that her design and personality was the basis of a reviewers 7/10 score when everyone else was heaping 9.5s and 10s for Bayonetta 2.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 4, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's true enough-I'm more or less saying that instead of putting more clothes on ZSS, it should just be samus in her powersuit. That's the more clothes, if you're going that route-there's no point in that variation of the character otherwise.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

to the point that her design and personality was the basis of a reviewers 7/10 score when everyone else was heaping 9.5s and 10s for Bayonetta 2.

who gives a gently caress

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

That's true enough-I'm more or less saying that instead of putting more clothes on ZSS, it should just be samus in her powersuit. That's the more clothes, if you're going that route-there's no point in that variation of the character otherwise.

yeah I mean if it were up to me Samus would never be shown outside of that suit beyond hints and small glimpses like in Super Metroid and Prime, but she was a character that was designed to look rad as gently caress from the very beginning, but even in the earlier games the zero-suit was there in the official art, there was one with an xray of her suit with half her body showing inside it, looking really buff and powerful, but that's a design choice because obviously she'd need a skin tight suit to fit inside the armor. its a solid design choice with actual reasons behind it.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

sweet jesus no, a reviewer on the internet gave a video game a good review instead of a really good review

I sincerely wish I could live in the GamerGate dimension where feminists are a cabal with a stranglehold on the cultural mores of the games industry, instead of a handful of voices on the periphery that nobody with actual power listens to.

Al-Saqr posted:

yeah I mean if it were up to me Samus would never be shown outside of that suit beyond hints and small glimpses like in Super Metroid and Prime, but she was a character that was designed to look rad as gently caress from the very beginning, but even in the earlier games the zero-suit was there in the official art, there was one with an xray of her suit with half her body showing inside it, looking really buff and powerful, but that's a design choice because obviously she'd need a skin tight suit to fit inside the armor. its a solid design choice with actual reasons behind it.

today I learned that all artistic decisions are inherently legitimate, and that an in-universe explanation obviates any real-world responsibility.

by your logic, she should really be nude or in her underwear inside the suit, a skintight latex catsuit would be hot as gently caress to wear.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 4, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Nah, see, Nintendo detailed the physical scientific reasons why there would be no room for anything else within the bird-people spacesuit that runs on magic.
If there was like, less than half an inch more room, she could wear more, but alas!

seriously let's not pretend the design choices of the character who has long flowing hair despite a). getting into fights as a profession and b). wearing a helmet all the time, are based in practicality

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

I find Anita Sarkeesian very boring to listen to and most of the alternatives she's advocating are incredibly bland designs and the outlook she has to what women 'Should' be in gaming is very drab. I cant event work up enough passion to have an opinion on her work since my eyes start drooping whenever I hear her talk.

it's directly because the idiot losers who hounded her that gave her the influence and media presence and funding she has. I cant even understand what makes any of these folks even mad, talk about the ultimate use case in self-defeating.

I dunno, I support the general gist of what she has to say, but I think there's a reason why there's so few videos compared to the hulabloo and media events she goes to.

She's a lot livelier in her earlier video series about tv, and she takes more risks in the analysis she provides. Since becoming so famous she's really toned everything down and taken on a very different persona, probably because there are so many nerds out for her blood. There definitely seems to be a monkey's paw-taint to a lot of what she's gotten: she only wanted a few thousand to do another short video series and now not only has to spend tons of money making it really long but is subject to the worst sort of scrutiny. I don't blame her for taking a long time: she has to preemptively defend herself from a huge crowd that doesn't even listen in the first place.

I think it takes an incredible commitment to principle to keep working on something that she was probably lukewarm about in the first place instead of just saying "gently caress this" and trying to disappear. She's given a few talks about her work, but she doesn't seem happy in any of them. If it were you in her place, would you keep grinding out videos?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Nah, see, Nintendo detailed the physical scientific reasons why there would be no room for anything else within the bird-people spacesuit that runs on magic.
If there was like, less than half an inch more room, she could wear more, but alas!

seriously let's not pretend the design choices of the character who has long flowing hair despite a). getting into fights as a profession and b). wearing a helmet all the time, are based in practicality

When she turns into a ball are all of her bones and organs crushed and then restored by healing radiation when she turns back to person size?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Does she wear an astronaut diaper, or is her pee filtered and recycled into the suit's cooling system?

What does she eat in there?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
she actually wears reasonable clothes, but only during morph ball mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
On the topic on Anita's liveliness, I believe she said once she can't afford to even make jokes because it's too dangerous. And I heard her on a livestream once last year, and it was genuinely surprising to hear her sounding like she was having fun.

• Locked thread