Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
#10, Darlip McFadvers, has reported eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Metapod posted:

is there a san diego suburb that could possibly be easier to build in?
Demolish everything on Vacation Isle or Fiesta Island and build it there :unsmigghh:

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Zurreco posted:

Miramar maybe? It has a shitton of open land and is pretty accessible. It's also starting to see a pretty big boom of thriving companies (especially breweries). They're already planning on extending the trolley lines up to UTC so adding another few miles or so to the East wouldn't hurt.

It's easier to work with than staying where Qualcomm is, anyways.
Yeah serious answer: Miramar, Santee, or I suppose redevelop the Qualcomm site in Mission Valley.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
What if he doesn't even live in Carson. He's trying to drum up fake support for the move so he can watch both fanbases have breakdowns.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Tzen posted:

Yeah serious answer: Miramar, Santee, or I suppose redevelop the Qualcomm site in Mission Valley.

If you build in Santee none of the Marines from Oceanside or rich folks from Del Mar/La Jolla are going to bother making the trek down. You need to build somewhere between downtown, Encinitas, and Rancho Bernardo in order to serve the vast majority of ticket buying fans.

Meanwhile, Phillip Rivers has all but acknowledged that if the team moves he won't be resigning with the Chargers because that's easier than relocating his brood 100 miles to the North.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Zurreco posted:

Meanwhile, Phillip Rivers has all but acknowledged that if the team moves he won't be resigning with the Chargers because that's easier than relocating his brood 100 miles to the North.

I think it's more he'd consider signing somewhere else, because as long as he has to move his family then he's open to all options.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Zurreco posted:

If you build in Santee none of the Marines from Oceanside or rich folks from Del Mar/La Jolla are going to bother making the trek down. You need to build somewhere between downtown, Encinitas, and Rancho Bernardo in order to serve the vast majority of ticket buying fans.

Why wouldn't Rivers at least sign a short-term extension with the team, even if voters pass that new stadium plan it has to be a few years out from completion, and there's a good chance he'd he retiring after a few more years anyway.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

If this is the all-purpose LA thread Kroneke's plan also calls for a forced-by-the-NFL 2-team stadium:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/story/_/id/12537936/stan-kroenke-los-angeles-rams-owner-designs-2-team-stadium-los-angeles-area

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Chinatown posted:

I wish literal death to this person.

Yo gently caress this guy

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Oakland and Alameda county are still trying to get Coliseum City thing done, so basically, no one has any loving idea what's going on anymore.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27754792/oakland-alameda-county-moving-forward-together-coliseum-city

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

Oakland and Alameda county are still trying to get Coliseum City thing done, so basically, no one has any loving idea what's going on anymore.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_27754792/oakland-alameda-county-moving-forward-together-coliseum-city

Meanwhile the San Diego Stadium task force will have their financing plan done and ready to present to the mayor on May 20th.

Maybe no one will move.

Except the Rams

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

SA2K posted:

Except the Rams

Visiting teams will have an easy time preparing for their wins. Better facilities, shorter flights, still facing the Rams, etc etc.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Visiting teams will have an easy time preparing for their wins. Better facilities, shorter flights, still facing the Rams, etc etc.

The Rams are kinda good though

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

SA2K posted:

The Rams are kinda good though

They're so close to being good ughhhhh

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

They might finish second in the division next year!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
It's the offseason so of course people think the rams are good.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Darkhorse option:

Rams move, Bills break lease and move.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Nothing makes more sense than an AFC East team being in Southern California.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

Go look up the NFC West before realignment in 2002

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Zurreco posted:

Bills to West, Chiefs to South, Colts to East. Pats/Colts twice a year!

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself

SA2K posted:

Meanwhile the San Diego Stadium task force will have their financing plan done and ready to present to the mayor on May 20th.

Maybe no one will move.

Except the Rams

More money to the Spanos family! And on my birthday too!

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
One of the SD Councilpeople (whose district Qualcomm is in) released a mocked up new stadium shot:

Looks like tailgating is not going to happen in that plan. I actually think a higher density plan is pretty smart in a city with so little real estate, though the big question would be transit options. If you've got housing and a hotel there, you're going to need lots of parking and rail/bike/bus/etc ways in and out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The choice to surround the entire area with a forcefield is also a little strange.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Glass of Milk posted:

One of the SD Councilpeople (whose district Qualcomm is in) released a mocked up new stadium shot:

Looks like tailgating is not going to happen in that plan. I actually think a higher density plan is pretty smart in a city with so little real estate, though the big question would be transit options. If you've got housing and a hotel there, you're going to need lots of parking and rail/bike/bus/etc ways in and out.

That stadium looks pretty cool. Too bad no bowl stadiums will ever get built for NFL teams. If you're not at least 40% luxury boxes, you're not getting built.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Glass of Milk posted:

Wanna see all those office buildings and hotels and apartments get built. If Friars road isn't congested NOW, just wait

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
The whole thing just looks like it lacks any real plan or design aside from "put a bunch of square buildings into a place"

It just looks so uninspired and boring

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Are those solar panels covering the roofs of the buildings?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Are those solar panels covering the roofs of the buildings?

Seems like it

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

SA2K posted:

Wanna see all those office buildings and hotels and apartments get built. If Friars road isn't congested NOW, just wait

Seriously. There needs to be a couple of other access points, hopefully across the river. My biggest problem with Qualcomm right now is that you have to show up 3 hours early to make it into the stadium on time for the game.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

The whole thing just looks like it lacks any real plan or design aside from "put a bunch of square buildings into a place"

It just looks so uninspired and boring

It would have helped to include some street-level views. All buildings are going to look like square buildings from above, tbh.

The thing that looks weirdest to me is the big courtyard/spike/sundial thing. That doesn't really scream Chargers or San Diego to me.

Apparently the stadium group has said their plan won't be as dense, which is a little disappointing. I'm all for tailgating, but a giant parking lot seems like a wasted opportunity, even if you can Race Legal(tm) there on Friday nights or go to a swap meet or whatever.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There is no way even half of that parking lot survives. I don't know if it's the biggest parking lot directly orbiting an NFL stadium right now, but it's right up there with KC

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Ron Jeremy posted:

That stadium looks pretty cool. Too bad no bowl stadiums will ever get built for NFL teams. If you're not at least 40% luxury boxes, you're not getting built.

Why is this basically a rule?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
money?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Top Hats Monthly posted:

quote:

The 170 suites at Levi's Stadium can accommodate 20-40 guests and will cost you up to $60,000 depending on the game and the specific suite

The equivalent level seat on the other side is a $90 ticket. You need ~650 seats to equal one box holding 40.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Qwijib0 posted:

The equivalent level seat on the other side is a $90 ticket. You need ~650 seats to equal one box holding 40.

put ads on jerseys next

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Iirc, regular ticket sales are shared within the league. Luxury box sales are kept entirely by the home team.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Top Hats Monthly posted:

put ads on jerseys next

This is already a thing.

Various sports companies (Nike, Reebok, etc) bid for the right to have their brand plastered on every Jersey in the NFL. I wouldn't be shocked, though, if clubs started selling real-estate on the team Jersey to add even more branding. In a few decades, NFL players will look like padded NASCAR drivers.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

This is already a thing.

Various sports companies (Nike, Reebok, etc) bid for the right to have their brand plastered on every Jersey in the NFL. I wouldn't be shocked, though, if clubs started selling real-estate on the team Jersey to add even more branding. In a few decades, NFL players will look like padded NASCAR drivers.

The NBA has admitted they're going to have them soon and I'm betting the NHL won't be far behind. There's no way it doesn't happen in the NFL soon enough.

Hell, look how much companies pay to be primary shirt sponsors for Premier League teams.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

The NBA has admitted they're going to have them soon and I'm betting the NHL won't be far behind. There's no way it doesn't happen in the NFL soon enough.

Hell, look how much companies pay to be primary shirt sponsors for Premier League teams.

And now, Pepsi presents a Geico look at Nabisco's Toyota "moment of the game" brought to you by Taco Bell.

For anyone who hasn't neen it.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 3, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Soccer is the most popular sport on earth and doesn't have commercials during the game so it makes the most sense there. I would not be shocked if they happened in the NFL but the Premier League isn't a great comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The CBA requires players get a percentage of revenue from ticket sales, but that doesn't apply to luxury boxes, so every dollar made from luxury box sales is worth double to the owners.

• Locked thread