Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

can you even change the theme in windows 8 without windowblinds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

carry on then posted:

this is all the theme options one needs

hope this help

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

shitface posted:

don't know if this was already posted microsoft released an ocr app for iOS and android

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/02/microsoft-launches-office-lens-for-iphone/

i just tried it on a really hosed full sheet of a4 i've been carrying in my back pocket for days that's worn and has holes at some of the creases and it it made exactly one mistake. it failed to capitalise a single line and indented it one space. all other text rendered perfectly in word format, including underlines.

the divergence between the office and mobile teams vs the windows team continues

microsoft actually has some damned good technology here and there, it is just frequently smothered by management. every now and then some of it escapes with only a thin film of management stuck to it (in this case the only storage option being onedrive because mobile first cloud first)

this is starting to annoy me quite a bit though, anyone who does cloud poo poo is desperate to keep you in their ecosystem, the problem being no one does everything well so i end up with things stored across way too many providers

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SO DEMANDING posted:

this is starting to annoy me quite a bit though, anyone who does butt poo poo is desperate to keep you in their ecosystem, the problem being no one does everything well so i end up with things stored across way too many providers

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

so XP had visual styles, you'd just need a hacked dll to use third party themes

im pretty sure there was something vaguely similar for win7, but third party styles never got as popular as with XP

sort of surprised nothing has come up for win8, but then again maybe this is just because PCs are dying and no one gives a poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

i've got too many things in too many butts

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

updated bios on a dell system, dumped my bitlocker encryption keys. not sure if this is MS's fuckup or Dells but its loving stupid

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Sniep posted:

this is all the theme options one needs

hope this help
what's funny is that now, OS X is more customizable out of the box than win 8 is

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

im pretty sure there was something vaguely similar for win7, but third party styles never got as popular as with XP

windows xp was the worst looking windows of all time

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

duTrieux. posted:

windows xp was the worst looking windows of all time

can't touch that level of swag

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hot Dog Stand was amazing.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

its not the same without seeing in an a 60hz strobing crt

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Hot Dog Stand was amazing.

they need a preset called 'librarian' that sets the colors to some mix of hot pink and purple and makes the background a stretched out picture of someone's baby.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Sniep posted:

that... actually looks sort of fine

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Sniep posted:

best theme

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

qntm posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
windiws should use teh gnome3 wm imo

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hot dog stand was the first authentically digital theme

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

hot dog stand was the first authentically digital theme

hehe

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

build 10051 shots leaked, titlebar is not fixed :negative:

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

qntm posted:

Yeah the colors are a bit subdued compared to the intensity of the original

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

roybot9000 posted:

Yeah the colors are a bit subdued compared to the intensity of the original

what does this look like to the color-blond

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

names blond. Color Blond.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

duTrieux. posted:

qntm posted:

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

Is bright blinding brown a thing?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

updated bios on a dell system, dumped my bitlocker encryption keys. not sure if this is MS's fuckup or Dells but its loving stupid

that's by design and won't be changed.

TPM measures from ROM to BIOS/UEFI firmware to OS loader to OS kernel and won't give you back your saved keys unless they all match.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

that's by design and won't be changed.

TPM measures from ROM to BIOS/UEFI firmware to OS loader to OS kernel and won't give you back your saved keys unless they all match.

lol I could understand that for unsigned firmware updates but what a huge gently caress You to anyone trying to maintain this stuff

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
hotdong stand

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

i can update firmware on my mac without it loving over filevault 2, hth. sounds like oems and ms cant be hosed to work with each other to make bitlocker a usable option.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol osx has had encrypted disks for a decade

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

i can update firmware on my mac without it loving over filevault 2, hth. sounds like oems and ms cant be hosed to work with each other to make bitlocker a usable option.

you can update the firmware on your Mac by plugging in a hostile Thunderbolt device that rewrites UEFI with malware

and then the malware can access your encrypted disks because Macs are easy to use

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pram posted:

lol osx has had encrypted disks for a decade

so it turns out that encryption is an area where it's realy useful to have full control over the design and implementation of hardware and software in a given system

pram
Jun 10, 2001
so it turns out windows is a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

you can update the firmware on your Mac by plugging in a hostile Thunderbolt device that rewrites UEFI with malware

and then the malware can access your encrypted disks because Macs are easy to use

do you think windows boxes are impervious to the attack vector of having stuff physically plugged into them lol

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i can't has tpm because lol russia so no bitlocker for me

cool beans wait no it sucks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

roybot9000 posted:

Is bright blinding brown a thing?

thats not how colorblindness works

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

oh, you can certainly install malware on a Windows box

the malware just can't access the keys stored in the TPM

pram
Jun 10, 2001
duhhhhhrrrr u can.. heh. plug in something to a mac and guess what? so long mac fag. windows definitely cant be exploited by a usb stick. checkmate

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

wait so thunderbolt just gives w/e device dma access? cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

oh, you can certainly install malware on a Windows box

for instance, you can install Windows

• Locked thread