Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

Dredd :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

cyberia posted:

It doesn't need to be on Netflix specifically but I couldn't find a 'recommend a movie thread' sooo can anyone recommend a good movie to watch as part of a double feature with Die Hard?

Executive Decision

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Netflix just got Let's Be Cops and I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10. Then again I'd watch anything with Jake Johnson and Damon Wayons Jr. in it so :shrug:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Mash posted:

Netflix just got Let's Be Cops and I enjoyed it, a solid 7/10. Then again I'd watch anything with Jake Johnson and Damon Wayons Jr. in it so :shrug:

I saw it in theaters :420: and I'd give it an 8 out of 10. Definitely worth watching if you'd like a good laugh. There were some pretty funny scenes in it. Nina Dobrev is fine as hell too.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looks like they added Atari: Game Over recently. Is this worth watching? I feel like it could be an interesting documentary about the video game collapse, or a dumb circle-jerk about digging up that garbage dump.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Mash posted:

American Netflix? It's only giving me suggestions based on Let's Be Cops.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Let's Be Cops is pretty vile.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Let's Be Cops does suck.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

GonSmithe posted:

How so?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been watching Once upon a time and the episode before the mid-season break in the first season was very good and made continue watching the series but I was wondering if it ever gets more exciting. So far it seems to be filler, filler, filler, fun episode, filler, filler, filler.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Explain this

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i would say there's still a chance you'll like the Gareth Evans segment in part 2, but probably skip the rest.

Most of the other shorts are so badly shot there's no sense of where anything (or anyone) is in relation to anything else, who is talking, what's going on. I guess you could say that's the point of the genre but I don't buy it, they're just bad examples of the genre. Shake the camera around, scream a whole bunch then stand still, looking at a piece of furniture. Slowly move forward, I wonder what's around the corner. It's a jump scare! Aaaaand, cut! Lunch everyone?

Most of VHS 1&2 is bullshit like this, it's just lazy and bad. The cult segment in VHS2 has none of these issues. You're always aware of who's talking, where people are and are given a good sense of the physical location so when it transitions from creepy to batshit it's at least grounded batshit, if that makes any sense. It's also a pretty fun, if a little hokey, segment. And, I just realised it was made by the same person behind The Raid movies, which is totally understandable (I didn't make the connection when I read your post initially). A diamond in a sea of poo poo. Loved it, thanks for the tip :)

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 3, 2015

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Maybe I was paying more attention than you or have a higher tolerance for this poo poo, but to me the VHS films are all decent at acclimating the viewer to locations because they walk you through the places they'll be running through screaming later on in the first half of the segments. The only ones that don't do this to some degree are the wrap arounds and the ones that take place outside or at more than one location.

The Evans segment does the best job of this, by far, though.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
To whoever recommended Force Majeure I checked it out and really liked it. It had a really similar feeling of Cache which is one of my alltime favorite movies. They have that quite intensity of couples at odds and it was seriously engaging. They were fighting in a way I could picture myself and my gf fighting but in their situation.

I did have a few problems with it though: I had kind of an issue when Mats and his gf were sitting there/listening/talking when Ebba was telling her story and about how Tomas did nothing. I just thought it was weird nobody thought like "hey maybe this is kind of private" especially when she was totally emasculating him in front of an old friend. Maybe she should have or shouldn't have but it was weird nobody batted an eye in that drawn out conversation. I loved when the quadrotor came in though holy poo poo that was good. Same with the musical changes and silent avalanche shots, they were quite harsh but in a good way.

Also the bar scene was kind of odd, why would the girl go back and say nevermind I didn't mean you. And if you lose your key to your room you just go to the desk.

Anyway lots of other small nitpicky stuff but it's just because the flow of the movie was so strong imo and those things kind of interrupted that flow a bit. Very good and again if you liked that check out Cache 'cause it's like the pinnacle of this genre.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wa27 posted:

Looks like they added Atari: Game Over recently. Is this worth watching? I feel like it could be an interesting documentary about the video game collapse, or a dumb circle-jerk about digging up that garbage dump.

Well let's put it this way: It's an "XBox Originals" movie.

There is a really good documentary about how the early-80s were all about a bunch of nerds doing mountains of cocaine and LSD and making video games but damned if I can remember its name. It was mostly about Atari/Activision and had Nolan Bushnell talking a lot is all I remember.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

Most of the other shorts are so badly shot there's no sense of where anything (or anyone) is in relation to anything else, who is talking, what's going on. I guess you could say that's the point of the genre but I don't buy it, they're just bad examples of the genre. Shake the camera around, scream a whole bunch then stand still, looking at a piece of furniture. Slowly move forward, I wonder what's around the corner. It's a jump scare! Aaaaand, cut! Lunch everyone?

Most of VHS 1&2 is bullshit like this, it's just lazy and bad. The cult segment in VHS2 has none of these issues. You're always aware of who's talking, where people are and are given a good sense of the physical location so when it transitions from creepy to batshit it's at least grounded batshit, if that makes any sense. It's also a pretty fun, if a little hokey, segment. And, I just realised it was made by the same person behind The Raid movies, which is totally understandable (I didn't make the connection when I read your post initially). A diamond in a sea of poo poo. Loved it, thanks for the tip :)

i happen to really like just about every segment in V/H/S 1, but the Gareth Evans segment from lart 2 is very plainly the best thing to come out of the franchise. and a large part of why it works is it basically bails on the found footage thing.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been holding my tongue through most of the V/H/S dissing, I do have to say it's weird to hear someone say that in the movies they had no idea where stuff was or who was talking. I mean, I'm more used to the genre than most but...really? I found those aspects pretty easy to follow along with. Like I can't think of a single segment where that was a problem.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

I've been holding my tongue through most of the V/H/S dissing, I do have to say it's weird to hear someone say that in the movies they had no idea where stuff was or who was talking. I mean, I'm more used to the genre than most but...really? I found those aspects pretty easy to follow along with. Like I can't think of a single segment where that was a problem.

i thought the first two were easy enough to follow, but apart from the parallel universe segment, V/H/S 3 is amost completely incomprehensible.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i thought the first two were easy enough to follow, but apart from the parallel universe segment, V/H/S 3 is amost completely incomprehensible.

Even then I think I could follow those pretty easily, outside of the framing segment which was just a mess.

Some of those had other huge problems, but they weren't really related to how comprehensible they were.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Even then I think I could follow those pretty easily, outside of the framing segment which was just a mess.

Some of those had other huge problems, but they weren't really related to how comprehensible they were.

i really like in the magician segment when he starts fuckin poo poo up at the end and clearly there is no way to make sense of people actually filming this as it happens so they just wave the camera around a lot. "whatever, it'll look found footage-y."

i kinda genuinely love the magician segment.

i'm still very unclear on what actually happened in Bonestorm.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 3, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Parallel Monsters and The Magician were pretty good honestly, the only thing that sucks about VHS Viral is the wraparound segment (which sucks a LOT).

Overall it's the worst of the three but I think it's alright. It's certainly better than ABCs of Death 1 and 2 put together (not a high bar, I know).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bonestorm had the same problem Slumber Party Alien Abduction had, where for the first few minutes when it's just a video of kids loving around it's pretty fun but when the monsters show up it turns to badly shot boring dogshit

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Bonestorm had the same problem Slumber Party Alien Abduction had, where for the first few minutes when it's just a video of kids loving around it's pretty fun but when the monsters show up it turns to badly shot boring dogshit

I thought the same thing about Chronicle. The format can be really intimate, it'd be interesting to see someone run with that in a quieter way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

axleblaze posted:

The viewer is lazy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

morestuff posted:

I thought the same thing about Chronicle. The format can be really intimate, it'd be interesting to see someone run with that in a quieter way.

yeah the scene in Chronicle where they first discover and test their powers is very easily the highlight of the movie. it's all downhill from there.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah the scene in Chronicle where they first discover and test their powers is very easily the highlight of the movie. it's all downhill from there.

I almost bit on this crap opinion, but then I recognized your avatar and remembered you just don't like fun. It is ok, different strokes and all, I just want to make sure impressionable readers have that background information so they aren't swayed.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I think someone (Hundu?) recommended Snow on tha Bluff as something along those lines. I saw it was up on Netflix, I'll hit it eventually.

Chichevache posted:

I almost bit on this crap opinion, but then I recognized your avatar and remembered you just don't like fun. It is ok, different strokes and all, I just want to make sure impressionable readers have that background information so they aren't swayed.

Nah, it's a dope take

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Wasn't me but that is pretty much Snow On Tha Bluff, which is great. Maybe it was me, I don't even remember what I had for dinner last night.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

precision posted:

Parallel Monsters and The Magician were pretty good honestly, the only thing that sucks about VHS Viral is the wraparound segment (which sucks a LOT).

Overall it's the worst of the three but I think it's alright. It's certainly better than ABCs of Death 1 and 2 put together (not a high bar, I know).

I liked ABCs of death 2 way more than Viral (I agree the first wasn't that good).

Also throw my voice in with those that don't get the complaints about the VHS series being hard to follow or lazy. I always thought they in general did a pretty decent job actually setting up the whole found footage aspect (unlike some of those movies that leave you wondering why there's multiple shots or why someone would be standing around at that time filming).

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I liked both of those, but I think the monster part of Bonestorm was still pretty fun, just because it still seemed kinda like dudes goofing off, rather than some intense "horror" moment. Although for the Slumber Party Alien Abduction, I actually kinda liked the siren blasts just because I thought they helped convey a whole "disoriented" feeling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

my avatar is very fun, you take that back

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i happen to really like just about every segment in V/H/S 1, but the Gareth Evans segment from lart 2 is very plainly the best thing to come out of the franchise. and a large part of why it works is it basically bails on the found footage thing.

You know, I think you might be onto something there. After typing my previous post I've been trying to come up with examples of found footage that I would either want to watch again or would recommend to others and it's not easy. I enjoyed Rec. Man Bites Dog was an interesting experience. I don't know whether or not I'll ever want to watch it again but I do appreciate its existence. Cloverfield and Troll Hunter were fun and although I wasn't sure about it at first I've come to appreciate Apollo 18. I don't think I dislike the genre as a whole but it does seem like there's a real bad signal/noise ratio with found footage movies.

axleblaze posted:

Hyperbole is fun. I didn't mean to suggest I literally had no idea what was happening, just that the genre allows filmmakers to be extremely lazy. With most of the VHS segments you know exactly when something is going to happen because it's literally the only part of the film where the camera stays still for long enough, is framing its subject properly or are the only shots that have adequate blocking. That's what I meant when I was complaining about disorientation, not that I literally had no idea who was talking.

ozmunkeh fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 3, 2015

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man Bites Dog is amazing but I don't think it belongs in a discussion about "found footage movies" because it's not really like any of the other ones of those.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Yeah it's definitely more of a black comedy but filmed like a mockumentary that appeals to horror fans.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

You know, I think you might be onto something there. After typing my previous post I've been trying to come up with examples of found footage that I would either want to watch again or would recommend to others and it's not easy. I enjoyed Rec. Man Bites Dog was an interesting experience. I don't know whether or not I'll ever want to watch it again but I do appreciate its existence. Cloverfield and Troll Hunter were fun and although I wasn't sure about it at first I've come to appreciate Apollo 18. I don't think I dislike the genre as a whole but it does seem like there's a real bad signal/noise ratio with found footage movies.

I would agree with you. many here would not. there's about a half dozen found footage movies I like but I'm very done with it as a genre.

I'd argue Man Bites Dog falls more in line with the mockumentary (remember those?) than the found footage movie. (edit: beaten)

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

my avatar is very fun, you take that back

:blush:
I like you, dog, but you are a curmudgeon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

:blush:
I like you, dog, but you are a curmudgeon.

sorry I didn't like your bad found footage superhero movie homie

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would agree with you. many here would not. there's about a half dozen found footage movies I like but I'm very done with it as a genre.

I'd argue Man Bites Dog falls more in line with the mockumentary (remember those?) than the found footage movie. (edit: beaten)

I haven't seen MBD in at least a decade, but I can't remember if there were any of those interview shots with the killer where he would give some exposition that are so common in mock/documentaries. That definitely makes it seem more "found footage-y", but yeah it's totally a mockumentary.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Parachute posted:

I haven't seen MBD in at least a decade, but I can't remember if there were any of those interview shots with the killer where he would give some exposition that are so common in mock/documentaries. That definitely makes it seem more "found footage-y", but yeah it's totally a mockumentary.

there's a ton of those. a big chunk of the movie is interviews with the lead character, albeit often while he's in the process of murdering somebody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

there's a ton of those. a big chunk of the movie is interviews with the lead character, albeit often while he's in the process of murdering somebody.

No I mean like where they would actually cut away to a sit-down interview at any point, really. I definitely remember a lot of the in-the-act exposition the lead would give.