Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

stoutfish posted:

that's probably a remnant of the game getting a complete overhaul during it's development.

... why is it in the kickstarter then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

stoutfish posted:

I know these guys and they gave me a free copy of their game so check it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1040689099/the-kings-men

Well, half the comments being about the woman in the video is kind of sad...
I guess it is slightly more of a game than exploding kittens? It's a deck-builder version of Munchkin but with dice?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 3, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Fumaofthelake posted:

I like the part where they've been "working on the game" for 6 years but have no preview materials or reason to have faith in them posted.

according to the comments page, it's a modified d20 system and the guy hasn't finished writing it yet.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

IIRC, she's also an artist for Ettin's project, so uh...

I already have art from her, and if I need more I have a bunch of artists I can ask while she recovers, so it's not going to affect Breakfast Cult a lot.

Alter Earth posted:

Right now our biggest obstacle is we are homeless. Even though this isn't our first time being homeless we have always pushed forward and have over come our obstacles. We have a built in determination to get things done in a moral fashion. With that we don't let our obstacles become enclosed buildings we cannot get out of.

Getting into an enclosed building is the problem here, buddy :negative:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Kai Tave posted:

Related to previous comments people made on the game, I started a thread on the G+ group about "y'know, some more distinct/interesting playbook moves might be cool" and the overwhelming response from virtually everyone who replied was "nuh-uh!" so I wouldn't hold my breath for that happening.

If you're looking for Apocalypse World inspired playbooks from a kickstarted game that have lots of awesome moves that aren't just "+1 to a thing", then have I just made the post of your dreams!

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

The Supreme Court posted:

The books have a good premise (that'll probably work brilliantly as an RPG game setting) and I really wanted to enjoy them. I've tried to re-read a few times, given they've got pretty much universal adoration, and I just can't get through them.

:smith:

FWIW, as I understand it the setting for the Taltos books was originally the campaign setting from a long-running game Brust played in.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know when Hite's Dracula Dossier gets released? I'm a backer, but forgot the date and don't care much about following updates.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
It says "Estimated delivery: Nov 2015", and there's been no indication they're running behind there. Heck, some of the updates read like they're a bit ahead of schedule.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

unseenlibrarian posted:

It says "Estimated delivery: Nov 2015", and there's been no indication they're running behind there. Heck, some of the updates read like they're a bit ahead of schedule.

Weird, I'm asking because for some reason I thought it's April or June. Oh well.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I haven't listened to that episode yet, but they've played it on One Shot Podcast, so it's at least in a playable state and not complete vaporware.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I haven't listened to that episode yet, but they've played it on One Shot Podcast, so it's at least in a playable state and not complete vaporware.

Well, they played Night's Black Agents (which was released a while ago) with Ken Hite doing a Dracula Dossier intro adventure. Since Dracula Dossier is more of a campaign guide plus the "unredacted" version of the novel Dracula, there's two separate parts to it. It sounded like from the last update that they're moving towards completion on the writing of both and were trying to leave plenty of time for editing, layout, and printing.

So I don't know that it's running late so far, but if you are curious about what you'll be getting, there was a fairly lengthy preview of the Dracula Dossier portion as part of the kickstarter itself.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Yeah you can already dl stuff of 'work in progress', there's a lot to read, I just forgot about the release date.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I'm in that! I don't remember how much of the adventure was working from Ken's notes, and how much was off the top of his head, but like people have mentioned the book is coming along pretty well according to all recent information.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

General Ironicus posted:

I'm in that! I don't remember how much of the adventure was working from Ken's notes, and how much was off the top of his head, but like people have mentioned the book is coming along pretty well according to all recent information.

It was a lot of fun to listen to! It did kind of leave off on a cliffhanger (right before counter-attacking Dracula after the mess on the party boat) with a mention of the rest being posted later. As far as I know, it hasn't been posted so far.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Sionak posted:

It was a lot of fun to listen to! It did kind of leave off on a cliffhanger (right before counter-attacking Dracula after the mess on the party boat) with a mention of the rest being posted later. As far as I know, it hasn't been posted so far.

We never did schedule a second session. I choose to believe Uncle Stoyan ate us all in our sleep.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Blades in the Dark hit its 125k goal of Not-40k, on to the Blades of Jhereg goal, only 135k so I think it's a pretty safe bet he's gonna hit that. Here's hoping there's lots of fun material in there, there's a ton of stuff unlocked now. If nothing else it's going to be some really good starting material even if I wind up not crazy about the base mechanics in the end.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Issues with the playbook sameyness aside (and I'm interested to see if the Leech and Spider do anything different) I think the base mechanics as outlined look fairly well suited to the sort of game he's aiming for. I like the three positions/degrees of risk thing he's got going on and the teamwork mechanics. I'm glad he's still looking into ways to tweak the whole effect side of things since rolling once to do a thing, then rolling again to see how many ticks on the success clock you actually accomplished was kind of the clunkiest part of the system.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Mehuyael posted:

SmallBoxGames, the guy(s?) behind Omen: A Reign of War, has just started a short Kickstarter for Soulfall, which, to quote the summary,

Unfortunately there's no video yet, but you can check the rules in the project page. From the sounds of it it's like an area control game without a basic battle mechanic. There doesn't appear to be a basic attack action you can take on your turn. But there are cards, and I assume some can be used to take out enemy nomads/outposts.

The game's being made in the US, like all their projects. It's $25 for the US, 30 for Canada and 35 otherwise.

The stretch goals are interesting to me (although there's a KS exclusive in the form of alternate map layouts unfortunately), but they're based on number of backers rather than pledge total.

A bit of an update, there is now a rules video on the project page, and a list of the different Lord cards in one of the updates. It is too bad that he didn't have videos ready at the start, but oh well. He hopes to have a video of people actually playing soon. A couple of SGs have been reached, with another one close by. Hopefully we'll get all the Titan cards at least, though I'd love the art book too.

As for the Titan project, I'll probably cancel my pledge. Not because I've smartened up, but because there's another Kickstarter coming soon for a game by level99games that I'm really interested in and I don't think I can afford both.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Oh? What's Level 99 about to put up?

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

TyrsHTML posted:

Deck of Legends updated again, Her tablet broke.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thedandmom/deck-of-legends/posts/1186674

We are never getting the Deck of Legends.

I did what I always do before I pledge to a Kickstarter -- I researched the creator. She'd gone quiet on two webcomics in the year before she did Deck of Legends. I didn't pledge.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Baron Snow posted:

Oh? What's Level 99 about to put up?

Probably Millenium Blades, their CCG simulator (note: not a CCG). Novel concept at the very least, but I don't think they've said anything about the mechanics.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

General Ironicus posted:

We never did schedule a second session. I choose to believe Uncle Stoyan ate us all in our sleep.

Oh, that's a shame. I figured it had been recorded but just not posted yet. At least Uncle Stoyan gets a happy ending this way.

(Besides so many things going wrong on the boat, I think my favorite moment was when you guys were talking about putting your base in the zoo and Kenneth Hite was trying to conceal his glee at what a terrible idea that would be.)

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

GrandpaPants posted:

Probably Millenium Blades, their CCG simulator (note: not a CCG). Novel concept at the very least, but I don't think they've said anything about the mechanics.

From the Pixel Tactics kickstarter about Millenium Blades:

"At its heart, it’s a commodity trading game, except that instead of cubes or stocks, the things you’ll be buying, selling, and trading are collectible cards that can be used throughout the game in periodic tournaments.

By trading wisely, playing the market, working together with friends, building collections, and winning tournaments, you’ll secure points and become the Millennium Blades World Champion. The game features a system of card pods, where you will play with about 400 of the base game’s 600 cards every game. The Kickstarter project will help us to bring this ambitious game to life with high production quality and additional cards that will increase replayability and variety."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

That actually sounds .. pretty neat. I wonder if the BattleCON guy or the Argent guy is designing it

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

fozzy fosbourne posted:

That actually sounds .. pretty neat. I wonder if the BattleCON guy or the Argent guy is designing it

BGG says it's Brad. But yeah I read that description and realized that I have no idea what it was actually saying.

I also see this picture and I'm just really curious about the game now: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2468180/millennium-blades?size=original

Edit: And apparently the game is partially real time?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Goblin Quest pdf was released and it really is as silly as Grant made it out to be. Sean Bean Quest is a insane hack.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

GrandpaPants posted:

BGG says it's Brad. But yeah I read that description and realized that I have no idea what it was actually saying.

I also see this picture and I'm just really curious about the game now: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2468180/millennium-blades?size=original

Edit: And apparently the game is partially real time?

Someone asked about that on BGG, apparently the deck building portions are simultaneous real-time but not, like, timed or hectic ala Galaxy Trucker.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

So a game (Witch Girls, I mentioned it before) I kickstarted way back in 2012, and went completely silent in 2013 (Not updates in Facebook, website went dead)... actually released an update showing a finished product and promises shipping by this month, and sent PDFs to backers that went for digital?

No excuses or explanations about WTF happened.

Backers are still pretty furious about the entire thing, of course, especially since their store with the new stuff went UP before we were even notified.

I'm just... wondering if they are even going to ask for even updated addresses.

I'm stunned, since I had actually given up on it entirely.

And on a similar topic, I also backed the Demons and Devils miniatures. A bunch of people got their stuff. I was not one of them, since he had apparently run out of some figures.

He went silent after revealing one large figure that had been pretty late. Now it seems he's filing for bankruptcy? Again, no explanation about what the heck happened.

Kerzoro fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 5, 2015

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

S.J. posted:

Someone asked about that on BGG, apparently the deck building portions are simultaneous real-time but not, like, timed or hectic ala Galaxy Trucker.

I think it's deck construction, not building.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kerzoro posted:

And on a similar topic, I also backed the Demons and Devils miniatures. A bunch of people got their stuff. I was not one of them, since he had apparently run out of some figures.

I also backed Demons and Devils, but I luckily got my stuff. Unfortunately, I also backed Tome of Horrors. Of course, that one burned me.

I can't decide if Matt Solarz is a straight up scammer or just the stupidest bussinessperson to ever exist. Of course, he might be both.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Last update probably because posting with touch controls is too new to me right now and the ks ends in 3 days. Gameplay video is up. You'll probably need to watch both videos on the page to get a real feel for the game, since the rules aren't explained in the gameplay video.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Keith Baker's new game Phoenix: Dawn Command went live like ten minutes ago and it's already at 2K!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Keith Baker's new game Phoenix: Dawn Command went live like ten minutes ago and it's already at 2K!

is this really a new version of Phoenix command because why

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ettin posted:

quote:

In Phoenix: Dawn Command, you don’t gain power by killing others; you gain power by dying. After each death, you add additional cards to your deck and new abilities representing the lessons you learned from your previous life. However, there’s a catch: you can only return seven times. So each death makes you stronger, but it also brings you closer to the end of your story. In addition, you don’t return right away and you don’t return in the place where you died. The fate of the world is in your hands and should you and your friends fall without completing your task, your mission will fail. Friends may be lost, regions may fall, and when you return you’ll have to deal with the consequences of your failure. Because death isn’t the end, the odds will often be stacked against the characters; to succeed, players must take risks and make sacrifices.
Oh man that sounds pretty cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

palecur posted:

I know that clicking links is hard, but really.

:effort:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

I know that clicking links is hard, but really.

:effort:

If you can pass up a chance to rip on Phoenix Command you're a better person than I.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Is it just me or does Blades in the Dark seem like the perfect candidate for a Shadowrun hack? Has anyone made any noise about doing this yet?

palecur posted:

The scourge of games you don't like continues...

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 6, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Deadzone Infestation is down to the last 6 hours, and has unlocked a whole bunch of stuff including hard plastic space skaven infantry, some really cool lightly armoured humans with non-cheesecake women, jetbikes with weapon options, a space dwarf infantry dual kit, and lots of metal and resin other things. Backing for $1 gets you into the pledge manager to spend at your leisure, and more unlocks will happen with pledge manager funds.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lightning Lord posted:

Is it just me or does Blades in the Dark seem like the perfect candidate for a Shadowrun hack? Has anyone made any noise about doing this yet?

There might be an unlocked stretch goal that already covers that. It's hard to keep track of so many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

One of the unlocked stretch goals:

Null Vector: Four artificial intelligences secretly rule the world. You and your crew of cyber-augmented outcasts are some of the only people who know the truth. Will you oppose the invisible masters? Will you join one of the AIs, to bring its vision for humanity to life? What will you do to change the world? Null Vector is a complete reskin of the game for cyberpunk thriller action in the vein of Ghost in the Shell.

• Locked thread