Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Did the goon that had a stroke mid-post ever report back? Or are they dead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Red Robin Hood posted:

Did the goon that had a stroke mid-post ever report back? Or are they dead?

greatn posted:

I passed out. Did the Nintendo direct happen yet?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Alxprit posted:

That's a lie, different characters have different weights that affect Speed + Acceleration.
Are you sure? I was hopping back and forth between Toad and Bowser and their stats looked identical if you used the same kart with both of them.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xenomrph posted:

Are you sure? I was hopping back and forth between Toad and Bowser and their stats looked identical if you used the same kart with both of them.

The stats only show the stats for the cart itself, they don't take the driver into account. Drive the same cart with two drastically different characters and you'll feel the difference.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fuzz posted:

The stats only show the stats for the cart itself, they don't take the driver into account. Drive the same cart with two drastically different characters and you'll feel the difference.
I stand corrected then, thanks!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Looks like the company behind the Luminous Arc games and the upcoming Stella Glow is having problems. The kind that makes their CEO do a disappearance act.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Ok, I'll just assume that Koopa Troopa is the closest to Dry Bones. Did they at least bring Dry Bones back for 8? I don't have a Wii U.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Ok, I'll just assume that Koopa Troopa is the closest to Dry Bones. Did they at least bring Dry Bones back for 8? I don't have a Wii U.

Sadly, no. The upcoming DLC includes Dry Bowser.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Has anyone dabbled in New 3DS Cover Plates enough to notice a difference in materials between the various plates?

I used the black plates that come with the console up until the Xenoblade plates came out, and while they look awesome, they seem a lot smoother, and seem to flex inwards if I hold the console too tightly. Are all the 'printed image' back plates made of the same material as the Xenoblade plates, or are the plain ones similar to the ones that shop with the console?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Tyma posted:

Has anyone dabbled in New 3DS Cover Plates enough to notice a difference in materials between the various plates?

I used the black plates that come with the console up until the Xenoblade plates came out, and while they look awesome, they seem a lot smoother, and seem to flex inwards if I hold the console too tightly. Are all the 'printed image' back plates made of the same material as the Xenoblade plates, or are the plain ones similar to the ones that shop with the console?

I only have experience of the Majora's Mask plates, but at least they are matte just like the plain original ones. I haven't noticed any flexing at all, and they feel and look really nice.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Rexroom posted:

Looks like the company behind the Luminous Arc games and the upcoming Stella Glow is having problems. The kind that makes their CEO do a disappearance act.

I thought Atlus was handling the western release of Stella Glow.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
I decided I'm not going to wait until May to play JP Xenoblade (having it sent together with WU Xenoblade Cross), and bought it at the JP E-shop.

It's gorgeous.

It's as if I'm playing the Wii version using the N3DSLL as the control pad and monitor. I imagine there has to be a graphic downgrade from Wii's 480P (it is, right? techheads please correct me if I'm wrong) to 3DS's 240P display, but being on that tiny screen the backgrounds and such are fantastically intricate and beautiful. (Character models still look rear end, though. On the flipside, equipment changes are represented on the models, so it's a lot more satisfying than the likes of non-MMO Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests where character models remain unchanged even if you get ultra-rare/expensive/controversial gear you want to show off.)
The C-nub works perfectly smoothly for shifting camera views. However, because the camera tends to be somewhat distant from the player character, the 3D effect isn't all that noticeable.

The text is tiny but perfectly legible without reading glasses for me.

There's a new mode in which you can spend tokens (obtained by street passes, interfacing Shulk amiibo, etc.) to obtain 3D character models and soundtrack tunes.

It seems identical to the Wii version so far, except that it's stinking fast to save and load, relative to the original. (There is still some blackscreening.)

It swipes all the great ideas from Final Fantasies and other brand-name JRPGs and melds them into one great whole wide world.
It's the greatest Final Fantasy that Square has never delivered after the SFC years.

Buy.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
It's Xenoblade Wii on a 3DS, if you're burned out from the Wii version, you're not missing anything.

C-stick is fine for the camera after switching it to fastest, but the new z buttons that control party behaviour and camera are a pain in the arse to use.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Use Dolphin and play Xenoblade with the HD upgrade thing

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

They are. It's the CEO of the game's development studio in Japan that's gone AWOL.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

Kin posted:

It's Xenoblade Wii on a 3DS。

Well, yeah. And that's why I find it utterly astonishing.
Pokemon was what, eighteen years ago in glorious spinach green?
Now, we get Xenoblade on a handheld in 3D with no noticeable downgrade in quality from Wii. (I didn't dig very deep, but was the original Wii version 4.8GB in international format? The JP N3DS version is 3.6GB, so there had to be data savings to be had, even allowing for the multiple languages.)

I guess I'm just old--I find the pace of technological progress nothing short of magical. Good times!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Now, we get Xenoblade on a handheld in 3D with no noticeable downgrade in quality from Wii. (I didn't dig very deep, but was the original Wii version 4.8GB in international format? The JP N3DS version is 3.6GB, so there had to be data savings to be had, even allowing for the multiple languages.)

I guess I'm just old--I find the pace of technological progress nothing short of magical. Good times!

Original Wii disc was 7.9GB. Course, it had full English and Japanese voice acting, so cutting one of those out would probably drop a couple gigs.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Original Wii disc was 7.9GB. Course, it had full English and Japanese voice acting, so cutting one of those out would probably drop a couple gigs.

Oh, OK, thanks. The N3DS outing retains full voice (in JP only, of course).
I just love that it's on my little handheld in pristine quality.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The Wii was only a half step up from the Gamecube compared to the other 7th gen systems, and when the 3DS was already getting Wii/PS2 ports, Xenoblade being possible on the n3DS isn't really a surprise from a technical standpoint when you think about it. Though I also find it pretty astounding, mostly because Xenoblade still feels like a "recent" game to me.

e: Makes you think what would've been possible with the Vita's specs in a world where people cared about it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does anyone care about the new Langrisser game? It'll be on stream in about 5 minutes:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv215716445?ref=qtimetable&zroute=index

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Kin posted:

C-stick is fine for the camera after switching it to fastest, but the new z buttons that control party behaviour and camera are a pain in the arse to use.

Yeah, those controls are the same as they were on the Wii classic controller, but I don't remember them being this awkward to reach. I guess because the classic controller didn't have square corners.

I have small hands though, so it might not be a problem for everyone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BisterdDave posted:

AFAIK, the western release of Stella Glow is still on track. It's the Japanese branch where everything went SNAFU

Tommy_Blanco
Oct 29, 2011
Been lurking on the the thread and had a couple things:

1. If transferring 3ds to new 3ds scares you, you can actually format a card larger than 32 gigs to use on a regular 3ds. Here's a link to show you how. It makes transferring to a new 3ds painless. I use a 64 gig and it's awesome.

2. I think the Club Nintendo site is finally at a relatively stable point where you can claim your gold/platinum reward. I got Mario Kart last night.

3. Let's play some games, add me. My friend code's 5472-9289-3840 User name Blanco.

Anyone play Aeternoblade? Looks interesting, I'm a sucker for time mechanics.

Phosphia
Jan 29, 2013

Oh you.. :>
I read the colour options for the New 3DS XL differ between US and EU. Is there any way to know when other colors will be available if at all? I would rather not have to ship from overseas.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Phosphia posted:

I read the colour options for the New 3DS XL differ between US and EU. Is there any way to know when other colors will be available if at all? I would rather not have to ship from overseas.

We will never know until Nintendo officially announces it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Suaimhneas posted:

Yeah, those controls are the same as they were on the Wii classic controller, but I don't remember them being this awkward to reach. I guess because the classic controller didn't have square corners.

I have small hands though, so it might not be a problem for everyone.

I think it's not so much that they're a little awkward to reach as it is that it's awkward to reach in the way you have to whilst also pressing one of the face buttons to just centre the camera which is one of the most commonly used actions in any 3rd person game.

They could have remapped that to pressing L+R simultaneously or something. Or one of the other buttons that don't do anything outside of menus. Like Y, by itself. :shrug:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Which 3DS Harvest Moon is the good one + is it better than Story of Seasons?

I'm kinda in the mood for one of these games because I haven't played a Harvest Moon since the GBA one

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Story of Season literally is Harvest Moon and it seems to be the best one I've played, but I've barely touched it. From watching my gf play it though it seems great and she loves it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Help Im Alive posted:

Which 3DS Harvest Moon is the good one + is it better than Story of Seasons?

I'm kinda in the mood for one of these games because I haven't played a Harvest Moon since the GBA one

Story of Seasons is the latest Harvest Moon game, the name is owned by Natsume who isn't doing the localization any more. They also released their own Minecraft/Harvest Moon game under the name Harvest Moon: Lost Valley which is kinda mediocre.

Story of Seasons is just the Japanese name the series is going to be localized under from now on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does Story of Seasons maintain a decent framerate because I just cannot handle A New Beginning

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Oh ok I didn't realise Story of Seasons is literally Harvest Moon. I guess I'll patiently wait like a year for an EU release

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Does Story of Seasons maintain a decent framerate because I just cannot handle A New Beginning

There are a couple of places with noticeable lag, but it's not much of a problem. Rest of the game is smooth.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Phosphia posted:

Same actual physical colors just the eu descriptions add some extraneous syllables as yall are wont to do :v:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Goddamn it, I want both Story of Season and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, but Xenoblade comes out this week too.

I'm definitely buying Xenoblade, but should I get Seasons of Etrian? I'm conflicted bc I enjoy both farming and Mystery Dungeoning...

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

The Machine posted:

Goddamn it, I want both Story of Season and Etrian Mystery Dungeon, but Xenoblade comes out this week too.

I'm definitely buying Xenoblade, but should I get Seasons of Etrian? I'm conflicted bc I enjoy both farming and Mystery Dungeoning...

Get Etrian later because Atlus games go on sale on the eshop every single month.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I grabbed rune factory 4( Jesus the anime) because it seemed like harvest moon + arpg + raising monsters. Haven't gotten beyond 10 minutes yet, am I right in my hopes or is it poo poo?

WIFEY WATCHDOG fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 5, 2015

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's good

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

I grabbed rune factory 4( Jesus the anime) because it seemed like harvest moon + arpg + raising monsters. Haven't gotten beyond 10 minutes yet, am I right in my hopes or is it poo poo?

I got it last week and am a bit mixed on it so far, but i think it just takes a while to get through all the tutorialy type bits and get into the meat of the enjoyable stuff.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Played level 1 in Kid Icarus. Yep. Good game. Looks fantastic. Hard to control. Well, not hard, so much as awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
sounds like my sex life