Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

Love JP posted:

Pretty much. No access to sensitive info. Doesn't have the stomach for murder. It would take years to achieve a high ranking in any intelligence agency. Right now all she can offer is her young body.

Well, thanks to your ban we know that you aren't just being a super creepy misogynist in this thread, but all over the place. Congrats on being really off putting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otto von Ruthless
Oct 1, 2014

Love JP posted:

Pretty much. No access to sensitive info. Doesn't have the stomach for murder. It would take years to achieve a high ranking in any intelligence agency. Right now all she can offer is her young body.

drat is that ever some red title text

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
First of all Philip wasn't sharpening his knife , he was steeling it. :colbert:

Second, the look on Elizabeth's face when she walked in on Henry doing the Eddie Murphy impression was hilarious. I read it as, "we need to keep this retard in the dark as long as possible or they'll torture and kill us all"

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Henry makes friends with stan and ends up in fbi counter intel and paige joins the cia as a Russian spy and then the hunt begins

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Fetus Tree posted:

Henry makes friends with stan and ends up in fbi counter intel and paige joins the cia as a Russian spy and then the hunt begins

If this isn't a spinoff series after The Americans ends, I'm going to be very disappointed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

And even after finishing college and moving out of their parent's house, they still continue to live together as roommates. They are the odd couple of the 90s!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Falukorv posted:

Maybe good for the Russians it's the B-2, because the F-117 seems flawed. I may be talking out of my rear end, but when i hear F-117 the first thing that comes to mind is "shot down by Chetniks with a Soviet relic".

You should read up on that story, because the same technique would have worked against a B-2.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

maniacripper posted:

First of all Philip wasn't sharpening his knife , he was steeling it. :colbert:

Second, the look on Elizabeth's face when she walked in on Henry doing the Eddie Murphy impression was hilarious. I read it as, "we need to keep this retard in the dark as long as possible or they'll torture and kill us all"

I can't wait to see when Henry watches the "Bitch" word-of-the-week episode of Mr Robinson's Neighborhood.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

What worries me is exactly the fact that Paige is 15. She might have let ~Jesus into her heart~, but there's one thing she possesses now that all 15 year old girls would quite literally kill for, 'godly' or not...

...ultimate leverage over *both* of her parents.

This could lead to all sorts of bullshit that I hope the writers of the show don't decide to take advantage of, like:

"Hey, let me go to Africa with Pastor Tim or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you're both spies."
"Hey Dad...you know, your Camaro's really nice. Oh, by the way, I'm 15 and I'll be getting my driver's license soon. ~JUST SAYIN'~."
"Hey Mom...give me a hundred dollars to go shopping or I'll tell Mr. Beeman you and Dad are spies."
"Tell your Russian friends that I want front-row tickets to (insert concert here) or I'll tell."

I thought they hinted that this is pretty much the direction Paige is going in. The soap opera she was watching when Phil & Liz got home even had some type of scene playing where one character was telling the other something like "I have the control now" and threatening him with his misdeeds.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

savinhill posted:

I can't wait to see when Henry watches the "Bitch" word-of-the-week episode of Mr Robinson's Neighborhood.

I thought they hinted that this is pretty much the direction Paige is going in. The soap opera she was watching when Phil & Liz got home even had some type of scene playing where one character was telling the other something like "I have the control now" and threatening him with his misdeeds.

I don't think that soap opera scene was meant to be taken that literally. Paige blackmailing her parents would basically be an express train to insufferability, and I think the writers are smarter than that.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah I really doubt they go that route.

At least they better not. This show is better than that. And Paige is too I hope.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If paige blackmails her parents (almost zero chance of this happening) I'm bowing out of this show

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Kinda same if Nina bangs the scientist. Also don't see it happening so it better not.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

JohnSherman posted:

I don't think that soap opera scene was meant to be taken that literally. Paige blackmailing her parents would basically be an express train to insufferability, and I think the writers are smarter than that.

I never said it was, it's more of an indication of where her mind's at and how her relationship with her parents will be going forward, not that she's going to literally blackmail them. It'll be more of a "gently caress off, I'm doing what I want and there's not much ya'll can do about it" (cuz Paige now holds the power in their parent/child relationship)

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

Shadow posted:

Kinda same if Nina bangs the scientist. Also don't see it happening so it better not.

Nina's basically been placed in a position to bang the scientist and made a breakthrough building a rapport with her mention of ~*~*~America~*~*~, so I don't see the banging not happening. v:shobon:v If she manages to complete her mission without any sort of physical manipulation it will be very surprising. Sex is kinda the Konami Code of intelligence gathering when targeting people that are starved of intimacy and feeling a bit desperate/insecure in their survival.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Nina's basically been placed in a position to bang the scientist and made a breakthrough building a rapport with her mention of ~*~*~America~*~*~, so I don't see the banging not happening. v:shobon:v If she manages to complete her mission without any sort of physical manipulation it will be very surprising. Sex is kinda the Konami Code of intelligence gathering when targeting people that are starved of intimacy and feeling a bit desperate/insecure in their survival.

Please be wrong. :(

it's just so cheap

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Nina is gross anyway and idk who would even want to

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

Fetus Tree posted:

your taste in women is odd

oh wait, you only like straight up white/blonde girls if I recall

(e: racist)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

This is the wrongest opinion that I've seen in a while.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Love JP posted:

gently caress. fooled by jon pop

:arghfist::mad:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Man that scene with the knife sharpening was so well done. A lot of shows would have laid it on really thick there but that was perfect.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What did happen to all of the foreign spies that Russia had out in the world when the Soviets collapsed? Did they all just stay in place and got a "new boss same as old boss" codex message?

I'm a history nerd but that's a piece of history I know next to nothing about.

--

Also, I'm pretty sure Margot made mention that they wanted Paige to eventually get a job with top secret clearance. Being american born she'd clearly be able to get in deeper than any illegal. Although given how thorough the vetting process is, that might just be some handwavey bullshit.

A college friend of mine eventually went to work for the state department, and he had to come up with ungodly amounts of personal information, including contact details for all of his roommates. I got a call from an Agent SuchandSuch and basically had a quick ten minute call that boiled down to "How weird was your friend?"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That is the advantage of having someone who was legitimately born and raised in the US. Anyone looking into Philip and Elizabeth's background to that level of detail is going to hit a brick wall pretty fast. Forged birth certificates and agents pretending to be someone's aunt or childood friend can only go so far.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

withak posted:

That is the advantage of having someone who was legitimately born and raised in the US. Anyone looking into Philip and Elizabeth's background to that level of detail is going to hit a brick wall pretty fast. Forged birth certificates and agents pretending to be someone's aunt or childood friend can only go so far.

http://www.mo.be/en/news/belgium-chases-russian-spy-couple

It'll last longer than you think.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegals_Program#Andrey_Bezrukov_and_Yelena_Vavilova_.28Donald_Heathfield_and_Tracey_Lee_Ann_Foley.29

my former neighbors

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I don't have a way to rewatch it right now, but didn't the final scene also have Stan lit up at the table and Phil and Elizabeth in the shadows circling the table while sharpening the knife? That was a great scene

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

all but the red head look soooo painfully Russian it's sad they weren't arrested sooner.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
the ones with darker skin people probably just assumed were puerto rican or mexican or some poo poo

boston is p racist <3

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Accretionist posted:

That pastor's still creepy. What a creepy pastor.

Do pastors typically have no boundaries like that?

The similar appearance between the pastor and the EST guru can't have been an accident.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't leverage something over my parents if it meant they wound up going to jail. That would pretty much gently caress a kid's life up. More than it already is when the kid finds out they have spy parents.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
The only true threat her parents could make was "if you tell anyone this, we're gone and you're orphans forever, at best". They know Paige is pretty mature for her age so she should eventually come around to the fact that keeping quiet is in everyone's best interests, at least until she turns 18 (unless they're gonna set up some emancipation storyline for her next season).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Love JP posted:

They need to give Kimmy to Paige!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Sober posted:

They know Paige is pretty mature for her age so she should eventually come around to the fact that keeping quiet is in everyone's best interests,

Pretty sure that was the point behind her reaction to her parents' conversation with Stan.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Azhais posted:

They need to give Kimmy to Paige!

One of the reviews I read suggested this as a possibility. It's a bit of a stretch, but I won't say it wouldn't be preferable to pedoPhil.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

beanieson posted:

all but the red head look soooo painfully Russian it's sad they weren't arrested sooner.

Big square heads are a dead giveaway :)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
When Paige was railing about the lack of family, they should have just told her she was wrong and introduced her to kind old uncle Frank Langella.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Sober posted:

The only true threat her parents could make was "if you tell anyone this, we're gone and you're orphans forever, at best".

"Sweet! I'll go live with Pastor Tim!"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

When Paige was railing about the lack of family, they should have just told her she was wrong and introduced her to kind old uncle Frank Langella.

I'm glad that the show has addressed that, both in the last season and this one. The lack of family would seem to be pretty jarring. I mean, growing up I had dozens of extended family members that I saw at least a couple times a year, and several more on top of that who sent yearly Christmas cards.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that there wasn't a fleshed out plan for when the kids started getting inquisitive about their family, emergency fake aunts notwithstanding.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 4, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I've a feeling that Margo Martindale's yet-to-happen return this season will have something to do with Paige.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

JohnSherman posted:

I'm glad that the show has addressed that, both in the last season and this one. The lack of family would seem to be pretty jarring. I mean, growing up I had dozens of extended family members that I saw at least a couple times a year, and several more on top of that who sent yearly Christmas cards.

I'm honestly a bit surprised that there wasn't a fleshed out plan for when the kids started getting inquisitive about their family, emergency fake aunts notwithstanding.
It would probably be too complicated or prone to poo poo going wrong. You could just as easily say both parents were orphans growing up though, probably, but I guess that ship has sailed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

JohnSherman posted:

I only had a few that I saw regularly.

As it is, my wife and I moved across the country, and until my nephew moved out here we had no family at all. Sort of different now in the age of cell phones and the Internet, but it's not that upsetting. My kids don't seem to mind.

• Locked thread