Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

do you get anything special from the new pursuer fights or is it just souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Think I'm over the hump, no longer getting instagibbed and I can actually kill stuff now.

The beginning of this game sucks, it is not fun at all. Maybe it's better once you know what you're doing, but unspoiled, it was a total shitshow. Scraping my way up from rusted shanks to a non garbage weapon and some levels was not an enjoyable process.

But I've got multiple areas open now and I think I can start exploring with a bit more impunity, so woo, I'll start wandering some more tomorrow.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Machai posted:

do you get anything special from the new pursuer fights or is it just souls?

I think he just drops twinkling titanite? That's what all of them have dropped for me so far.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey, I just noticed a change in the DLC! So there may be more - the area with the Dragonbone Fist swapped some enemies around.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Azran posted:

Hey, I just noticed a change in the DLC! So there may be more - the area with the Dragonbone Fist swapped some enemies around.

Sunken King seemed to be completely unchanged. Sadly. There may have been a few extra enemies or slight repositioning but nothing I'd call a substantial enough change for me to notice. Hoping that the other DLCs have some more changes. Particularly Old Iron King, because that was my least favorite DLC in terms of the encounters.

Rage McDougal
Jul 28, 2013

Does anyone know what's up with the new dragon covenant dudes in the Dragon Shrine? Half the time they swarm me, but the other half they just bow at me and don't move.

Edit: Okay, seems to be that they ignore you as long as you kill the Drakekeepers along the way.

Rage McDougal fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 4, 2015

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

victrix posted:

Think I'm over the hump, no longer getting instagibbed and I can actually kill stuff now.

The beginning of this game sucks, it is not fun at all. Maybe it's better once you know what you're doing, but unspoiled, it was a total shitshow. Scraping my way up from rusted shanks to a non garbage weapon and some levels was not an enjoyable process.

But I've got multiple areas open now and I think I can start exploring with a bit more impunity, so woo, I'll start wandering some more tomorrow.

That durability bug really dicked you over early on, too. It's really starting to hurt me in my run too.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

Sunken King seemed to be completely unchanged. Sadly. There may have been a few extra enemies or slight repositioning but nothing I'd call a substantial enough change for me to notice. Hoping that the other DLCs have some more changes. Particularly Old Iron King, because that was my least favorite DLC in terms of the encounters.

Archers in the Sunken King now aim for the switches. I had one guy just completely miss me on purpose, to unmake some of my progress.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Rage McDougal posted:

Does anyone know what's up with the new dragon covenant dudes in the Dragon Shrine? Half the time they swarm me, but the other half they just bow at me and don't move.

Edit: Okay, seems to be that they ignore you as long as you kill the Drakekeepers along the way.

They'll leave you alone if you kill the big guys before progressing.
However, if you ignore their "challenge" and try to run through they will fight you.
This makes the area actually kinda cool instead of a completely uninspired part of the endgame slog. But the boss run is so much worse. Not that you'd want to fight the Ancient Dragon... unless it gives you something it didn't give you before. In that case... well. That sucks.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 4, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Found all 5 sublime bone dusts. Gutter, Passage to the Wharf, Shaded Woods, Drangleic and Huntsman's Copse.

But I am still missing a shard. I have not explored Iron Keep, the upper part of Earthen Peak, Dragon Aerie, most of Tseldora or the Crypt beyond rushing to beat their bosses. Is it there?

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Azran posted:

Found all 5 sublime bone dusts. Gutter, Passage to the Wharf, Shaded Woods, Drangleic and Huntsman's Copse.

But I am still missing a shard. I have not explored Iron Keep, the upper part of Earthen Peak, Dragon Aerie, most of Tseldora or the Crypt beyond rushing to beat their bosses. Is it there?

There's one in Tseldora in the usual spot. I'm missing one myself. But there's a couple places I ignored at this point. Gotta be there somewhere.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Repeating question from earlier : which is the best place to use the fragrant branch of yore first - i.e gains access to the most immediately useful thing?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So I hear about the weapon degreading issues. Is it actually worse than in the original dark souls 2? I loved using the broken greatsword from the stone knights, but it was already incredibly easy to break in the original.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nurge posted:

So I hear about the weapon degreading issues. Is it actually worse than in the original dark souls 2? I loved using the broken greatsword from the stone knights, but it was already incredibly easy to break in the original.

I'm not sure if it was because there were more enemies or because of faster weapon degrading but I pretty much had to punch my way through all of the intro forest

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I was able to get all the way through Forest to Melentia's bonfire using just my Broadsword. It hasn't changed from base DS2 (assuming you played it at 60FPS already).

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Trying not to spoil myself too much, but is there a place where those branch things that soften up petrified people drop? I'm just asking because by this point I've found a ton of petrified people and I think like two branches--one to use on the pyromancy chick, one to open the way to the Ruin Sentinels.

It was a huge bummer when I was going through the Lost Bastille from the No Man's Thingy and I came to a bonfire blocked off by a petrified lady.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Djeser posted:

Trying not to spoil myself too much, but is there a place where those branch things that soften up petrified people drop? I'm just asking because by this point I've found a ton of petrified people and I think like two branches--one to use on the pyromancy chick, one to open the way to the Ruin Sentinels.

It was a huge bummer when I was going through the Lost Bastille from the No Man's Thingy and I came to a bonfire blocked off by a petrified lady.

You need another one for Straid as well (and his bonfire); I was commenting on the same thing and someone mentioned that there are a bunch of them in Shaded Woods.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Vermain posted:

I was able to get all the way through Forest to Melentia's bonfire using just my Broadsword. It hasn't changed from base DS2 (assuming you played it at 60FPS already).

I'm not sure why this seems to vary so widely from person to person. I can't get more than about 1/4 through no man's wharf before my poo poo breaks. Since I don't have a suitable backup weapon my only strategy is to just kill everything the 15 or 20 times until they despawn permanently so I can progress further.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Edmond Dantes posted:

You need another one for Straid as well (and his bonfire); I was commenting on the same thing and someone mentioned that there are a bunch of them in Shaded Woods.

I ran all the way through Shaded Woods to the Pharros place and haven't found any, so I guess I must have missed some--probably in the fog.

At least fighting scorpion lady means I can finally replace the last of my crap armor and put enough points in Dex to use a bow.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What does the red border around a zone on the fast travel menu mean?

I figured it meant there was an unexplored route there, but I'm pretty sure I cleared out No Mans Wharf and it's still red.

e: Googled it, turns out it was added a while ago. Bordered zones have high PvP populations.

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 4, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DarthJeebus posted:

I'm not sure why this seems to vary so widely from person to person. I can't get more than about 1/4 through no man's wharf before my poo poo breaks. Since I don't have a suitable backup weapon my only strategy is to just kill everything the 15 or 20 times until they despawn permanently so I can progress further.

Its so loving weird. I wish I knew what was up because my weapon durability is definitely worse than before but its not nearly as bad as you describe, but then sometimes its like suddenly my weapons break out of nowhere. Something is really broken about it.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

repiv posted:

What does the red border around a zone on the fast travel menu mean?

I figured it meant there was an unexplored route there, but I'm pretty sure I cleared out No Mans Wharf and it's still red.

It means that's where you currently will have the highest chance of connecting to other players for co-op and PvP.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Djeser posted:

I ran all the way through Shaded Woods to the Pharros place and haven't found any, so I guess I must have missed some--probably in the fog.

At least fighting scorpion lady means I can finally replace the last of my crap armor and put enough points in Dex to use a bow.

I found the groaning trees and some new loot (and an NPC) in the foggy part, but still no branches. Maybe it's somewhere else? idk :confused:

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Vermain posted:

DarthJeebus posted:

As far as my experience goes, the smaller weapons are no problem at all. It's the big hammers, clubs and ultra greatswords that get nearly broken by just a few bad swings at dead bodies (or whatever causes the massive degradation), most likely because they hit a lot more things due to their size.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Karrahad posted:

As far as my experience goes, the smaller weapons are no problem at all. It's the big hammers, clubs and ultra greatswords that get nearly broken by just a few bad swings at dead bodies (or whatever causes the massive degradation), most likely because they hit a lot more things due to their size.

I mean, I've watched my longsword hit a wall/body and sometimes it degrades a little, other times it's like 10% of the blade. pretty silly.

I had to rage quit again at Iron Keep last night. Those loving knights that don't stumble but refuse to lay the gently caress off your shield, combined with the turtle men and the explosive arrows........arrg I want to kill myself. probably died 30 times here yesterday

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ethanol posted:

I mean, I've watched my longsword hit a wall/body and sometimes it degrades a little, other times it's like 10% of the blade. pretty silly.

I had to rage quit again at Iron Keep last night. Those loving knights that don't stumble but refuse to lay the gently caress off your shield, combined with the turtle men and the explosive arrows........arrg I want to kill myself. probably died 30 times here yesterday

I haven't reached Smelter rear end in a top hat in Bowser's Castle yet but I swear I'm going to end up depopulating the first half by the time I even reach him. 1, 2 even 3 normal Alonne Soldiers are nothing for me, but when you start adding in captains, and their behavior now to charge you from across the map the moment they see you, it gets pretty damned hectic.

Alonne Soldiers used to freak me out until I realized two things. First of all they have just enough poise to ignore light weapon attacks...unless you grab the stone ring. With it I'm able to stun them no problem with either the spear or a falchion. Second of all, their attacks are fast, but incredibly predictable, making them prime riposte targets.

Booya
Feb 17, 2012
Somebody tell me the good thing to download to use my PS3 controller on the computer, please.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

Booya posted:

Somebody tell me the good thing to download to use my PS3 controller on the computer, please.

Perhaps it has fallen from grace but when I played it was Motionjoy. I will be installing it again as I just bought the special edition thing. I wish they would do a rerelease of Dark Souls 1 with some changes, that is what I truly want to play!

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Here's what I use. It's slightly finicky sometimes, but once I get it working I've rarely had problems with it.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I found two branches of yore, one from the scorpion guy and one from beating the lost sinner. There's still at least five statues I know of that I've yet to unfreeze, and three more in the Shaded Woods alone.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Booya posted:

"Better DS3". I've used that for around two years and it is great. Whatever you do don't get motioninjoy. It's riddled with ads and I wouldn't be surprised if you get some sort of STD just for having it installed these days.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DarthJeebus posted:

Use your small white soapstone. Co-op with someone for a few minutes. Assuming you succeed, it's like resting at a bonfire but without respawning enemies: estus is refilled, damaged (but not broken) equipment is repaired, spells are refilled. Plus your humanity is restored.

Needless to say, do this before you're two smacks away from breaking your weapon. When I'm at about half durability with each of my weapons, I throw down my soapstone sign and go from there. Sometimes I backtrack to an earlier part of the level where I'm more likely to be summoned or have things to kill if I am summoned.

Corollary: if you see small white signs yourself, even if you're not planning on making a run on the boss yet, summon them. So long as there are enemies around to kill anyway. It's often people who just want a refill. And hey, if you make it to the boss with them, so much the better.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

killstealing posted:

Help how do I get good at pvp I'm using the heide knight sword and a rapier but I'm being destroyed in the bob arenas :qq:

BoB arena is the only risk-free way to practice PvP until you obtain and activate the four crowns but it's also by far the most tryhard PvP population, because people going for a rank-up in that covenant get punished for losing fights. Get a Red Soapstone and place your sign on the Iron Keep bridge. Risk-free for you, risky for the person summoning you, but as long as they're winning at least the occasional fight then the summoners will have a steady supply of effigies to de-hollow themselves.

The tryhard build used to be the Chaos Blade probably paired with some sort of parrying shield. So if you want to win at the cost of your opponents' contempt then that's a good way to start I guess. Oh, then they decided to buff the Katanas even further.

My go-to PvP build at the moment is a spear and an offhand Falchion. The spear attacks relatively quickly, outranging and outspeeding opponents' attacks and reliably punishing people rolling away from you mid-roll. The Falchion perfectly complements the Spear by having ridiculously good tracking for shredding people trying to roll around you. However, the weakness to this loadout is that you're very vulnerable to parries, so if somebody's parry-fishing then uh try to jump-attack (which leaves you very vulnerable) or roll around them a lot and try to use the Falchion unpredictably. Never ever roll-attack someone trying to bait you for a parry because a spear's rolling attack is the easiest goddamn thing to parry ever.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Weird, there is a statue blocking the tutorial now?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

killstealing posted:

Help how do I get good at pvp I'm using the heide knight sword and a rapier but I'm being destroyed in the bob arenas :qq:
The Watcher Greatsword will utterly destroy people, and the Dark Sanctum Crossbow's special attack tracks fairly well and will sometimes get you one hit kills.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

two hand an estoc and rush em

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dongsweep posted:

Weird, there is a statue blocking the tutorial now?

There are statues in a number of earlier-game places now. However, there are also more fragrant branches around to find as well.

Most of the statues I've seen so far have an estus flask shard behind them.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I sort of hated the Fragrant Branches in the original game, since it seemed like the laziest possible way to gate content. The fact they added more really doesn't do anything for me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
My casual, plays in short binges self wishes there was a more convenient way to get effigies and aesthetics solo before you are later in the game and have access to giant memories to get as many as you want to your heart's content.

I think all the connectivity stuff is cool, but I also like the option to just be all by my lonesome... You know, aside from the enemies, and invaders who inevitably kick my rear end. But invaders are there because they wanted to be there so that's fine to my twisted logic.

On a lighter note, is the barbed club still objectively terrible? Or is it at least passable enough to PvE with because I think that thing is cooooool :downs: I'm sure more people would be pretty okay with it as a novelty if not for the fact Flexile soul can also give you a choice of cool swords that don't suck, and there are so many petrified dragon bone weapons that are more convenient for strength, dex, of balanced...

I just want barbed club to not make me feel like a failure for so much as thinking about it :saddowns:

sector_corrector posted:

I sort of hated the Fragrant Branches in the original game, since it seemed like the laziest possible way to gate content. The fact they added more really doesn't do anything for me.

I fully admit things like the fragrant branch are what I'd totally wiki up anyways even if trying a "mostly" blind run. See also, looking up statistics for weapons I have access to, which saved me some :what: moments in DS1 where the shield that's description said it was good against magic was in fact, less good against magic than some other random rear end shield I had after upgrades.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I recall the Barbed Club being pretty decent a Blunt weapon on Dex builds. If you like the moveset, etc, etc. :v: