Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bavius posted:

Just saw this product up on kickstarter for cleaning up 3d printed objects. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1654851065/retouch3d-a-brand-new-way-to-finish-3d-prints/comments

Basically a sodering iron with adjustable heat and different heads. Seems like something that might work really well for cleaning up models - from removing thick gates on resin models to removing flash and even removing defects. Any one else think it might be a cool investment?

I honestly didn't see anything in their video that couldn't be accomplished with an Exacto or sandpaper/sanding files. Yeah, removing that huge support would be a pain in the rear end with a set of nippers, but personally, $179 seems a bit high for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Does anyone know of any decently priced "quiet" or sound suppressed air compressor, mines not super loud but it's loud enough and I'd like to get something with less noise but a good price.

Get one with an attached tank so its only running 1/2-1/4 of the time?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Before spending to much, I'm going to try Bulbasaur's suggestion of a box to cover it , I have a left over sound panel so I'll use that to make a box and see if that works.

Thanks for the help.

Has anyone here used any of the Alclad series of lacquers and finishes for models? Little wary of using this stuff as apparently it is super toxic.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've used Alclad several times. Its cancer in a bottle. Get a decent respirator with a volatile organics filter if you're going to use it. You should have one anyhow if you're going to be spraying enamels and lacquers of any sort. Not a bad idea with acrylics either. They're generally non-toxic but the dried dust can be a respiratory irritant.

Alclad does amazing metallic finishes though. Just don't drink the stuff or huff the bottle.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Cool thanks, I'll probably invest in a good ventilation system as well that I've seen floating around instead of the cardboard box and fan system I'm using now.

I was more interested in their smoke series and Tamiyas smoke series for that neat transparent look.

Got any examples of their stuff on miniatures? All I have found are planes and such.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Not on minis no; I've only ever used it on scale planes. I can't imagine its any different though other than perhaps having more nooks and crevices in the minis surface that will need to be sprayed carefully to get good coverage without paint pooling up and running.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
At some point I'm going to need to get the water out of my compressor's moisture trap, right? How exactly do I go about doing that?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
There's should be a valve on the bottom of it you just press inwards. If you have a tank there will be a nut on there somewhere as well that you should open and drain occasionally. Rust is bad in a pressure vessel.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Sauer posted:

Not on minis no; I've only ever used it on scale planes. I can't imagine its any different though other than perhaps having more nooks and crevices in the minis surface that will need to be sprayed carefully to get good coverage without paint pooling up and running.

Does alclad need to be buffed to reach its fill potential?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Its generally not required but might be necessary if your pressure and spray distance aren't perfect and some of it dries in flight; leaving dust. Let it fully cure for a day or two before very lightly rubbing it with a microfiber cloth. If you don't let it fully cure it will flake off on you. Once its cured its nearly bullet proof.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need advise on paint planning. As of monday I'm going to be flying around and staying in hotels, so I had this thing custom made. Below is an example of the types of things that can fit in each slot.

I plan to paint on the road. I have a tray underneath this that will hold miniatures, but I need some advise on picking out all the appropriate tools before I even get started. I have a pretty big collection of paints and usually I just pick whatever strikes my fancy, but now I have to pick paints before I start working, and I'm limited to this set.

So generally speaking, what are the must-haves and what are the components of a good paint job?

So far, my list is:

Brush-on primer
Pledge Future
Black ink/wash
Metallic base
3 pigments

gently caress I'm hopeless

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

So generally speaking, what are the must-haves and what are the components of a good paint job?

Can I humbly suggest that you check the OP? :) there are lots of tools in the first post separated into 'essentials' and 'nice to have'. The paint section isn't fully complete but if you check out the GW video it shows the basic components of a paint job.

I love that you are bringing all that stuff though! I'm working away this weekend and almost brought a baneblade and Knight to build.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

krushgroove posted:

Can I humbly suggest that you check the OP? :) there are lots of tools in the first post separated into 'essentials' and 'nice to have'. The paint section isn't fully complete but if you check out the GW video it shows the basic components of a paint job.

I love that you are bringing all that stuff though! I'm working away this weekend and almost brought a baneblade and Knight to build.

Let's assume that all the miniatures I'm bringing are pre-assembled and I have brushes, a mold line remover, and liquid greenstuff in the kit already. I'm more interested in what to plan for when you have like a half-baked idea of a paint scheme. Most of the stuff in the OP is for constructing and paint tools. I'll be bringing a wide variety of brushes and tools already, this is more of a colors question. Might be a gap to fill in the OP! "Planning your paint scheme"

I'll look over the OP a couple more times though

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Painted a small guy today. Probably my best work in 15mm yet, but unfortunately I didn't succeed in taking the best pics of him. I need better lighting.

God the new FoW plastic infantry is awesome.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

Let's assume that all the miniatures I'm bringing are pre-assembled and I have brushes, a mold line remover, and liquid greenstuff in the kit already. I'm more interested in what to plan for when you have like a half-baked idea of a paint scheme. Most of the stuff in the OP is for constructing and paint tools. I'll be bringing a wide variety of brushes and tools already, this is more of a colors question. Might be a gap to fill in the OP! "Planning your paint scheme"

If it was me, I'd also bring matte medium, flow aid, and 90% isopropanol. The first two for getting different paint consistences like glazes. The latter for light weathering, cleaning up boo-boos, and sealing your pigments. Lately I've been using a hobby knife to scrape away any mistakes I make, but I doubt you can bring that on a plane. You might also want a small palette or water cup, but you can macgyver those up.

Also paper towels or a small rubber cutting board. I use that as my work station.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

signalnoise posted:

Ah right, OK. I'd be happy to paste or looking anyone's suggestions for a paint scheme planning section - at the moment all we have is a but about picking colors that look good together, which isn't a huge amount of help if you are starting from scratch.

I think in general what I'd suggest is pick a main color, so secondary and tertiary color and choose the main colors of paint for each of those, then a highlight color for each and the appropriate wash for what you want to do.

The easiest thing to do if you're doing a whole army of models is to choose a sports team that you like the colors of and just use their colors. The end result may be obvious to followers of that sport but there's no denying some teams just have a really good color combination. Red/white, red/black/white, maroon/light blue, etc, etc.

If you’re painting individual models like a fantasy adventuring party you may need more colors of paint depending on the type of models you've got but you can get pretty far with black, white, silver, gold, a couple each of browns, greens and blues and a couple of flesh tones. Then just find pictures from the Lord of the Ring movies and get some ideas.

I'm phone posting but anyone is welcome to follow-up on this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Throbbing blob posted:

Painted a small guy today. Probably my best work in 15mm yet, but unfortunately I didn't succeed in taking the best pics of him. I need better lighting.

I thought that was a nice looking paint job even when I hadn't read your post and thought it was 28mm. :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I thought it was 28mm as well at first glance.

Currently searching the internet for 40k figures painted with different mediums to look at results. Specifically air vehicles. If anyone has any please share.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 20 days!

Throbbing blob posted:

That's a great job for any scale, let alone 15mm. Kudos! :)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Throbbing blob posted:

Schnell! Schnell! Ordnung muss sein! Kartoffelkopf!

Jokes aside, that's a pretty banging officer. Still dont know whether to play US or Germans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DJ Dizzy posted:

Schnell! Schnell! Ordnung muss sein! Kartoffelkopf!

Jokes aside, that's a pretty banging officer. Still dont know whether to play US or Germans.

The Germans tanks have more style, so definitely the Germans.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
German tanks are all identical and boring, you can hang all sorts of random poo poo off your American tanks and have them be both unique looking and historically accurate.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BULBASAUR posted:

Lately I've been using a hobby knife to scrape away any mistakes I make, but I doubt you can bring that on a plane.

You can bring a gun on a plane as long as you check that bag, and unless they've stopped the all liquids that aren't in a ziploc bag prohibition, you can't carry on a painting kit anyway.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Cross post from Warmahordes thread.

Finally finished my Warspears this week. After taking the pics and looking at the other models I was photographing I realized I missed a highlight layer on the cloth. As always with pics I saw some spots that need cleanup that I've fixed too. But I don't want to redo the pics. Also since I had the lights and camera setup I got pics of models I finished last summer but didn't get pics of yet.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I trust you start playing a heavy metal track as you put those on the table? Those dudes are ready to rock.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Does anyone know of a good match for the old citadel foundation khemri brown? I'm looking for something with a similarly thick consistency too as they feel better for drybrushing that way (which is primarily what I want it for)

I know GW have baneblade brown listed as their own replacement for it, but I'm not keen on the newer range of GW paints (the few I've used have been quite thin)

Ok, quick bit of googling says Vallejo 'heavy brown' in the 'extra opaque' game colour range is a good match, can anyone give me a comparison or say a word or two for that particular paint? :)

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

enri posted:

Does anyone know of a good match for the old citadel foundation khemri brown? I'm looking for something with a similarly thick consistency too as they feel better for drybrushing that way (which is primarily what I want it for)

I know GW have baneblade brown listed as their own replacement for it, but I'm not keen on the newer range of GW paints (the few I've used have been quite thin)

Ok, quick bit of googling says Vallejo 'heavy brown' in the 'extra opaque' game colour range is a good match, can anyone give me a comparison or say a word or two for that particular paint? :)

VGC Earth is supposedly the replacement for Graveyard Earth but it looks a lot more like Khemri to me.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

JoshTheStampede posted:

VGC Earth is supposedly the replacement for Graveyard Earth but it looks a lot more like Khemri to me.

Ah yea graveyard earth is a pretty good match, I used to use that to paint my base rims.. might have some knocking around somewhere still :o: thanks :)

head58
Apr 1, 2013

A quick thank you to whoever it was that sung the praises of Vallejo Model Air metallics, even without an airbrush. I've started brush-painting some Warmahordes Retribution and sweet merciful dumptruck these things are smooth!

I've based most of my test jack in Steel, Copper and Black. Going to do a very very light glaze of Citadel red glaze on one shoulder and Vallejo red ink on the other to see which I like best. With a drop of iridescent medium mixed in for super sparkly elf action.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hi guys, I'm in need of one of these cuz I'm getting a couple new brushes. Do any of you know what it's called? Apparently painting case isn't the name for these things.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Pretty sure that's a pen case for a moderately high-end pen (probably a fountain pen).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whoa, for reals? I never bought it and forgot how I came into possession of it but that explains why I've never seen anything like it in painting stores. I just assumed it was for brushes cuz it was the right size for them.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fingers McGee posted:

Cross post from Warmahordes thread.

Finally finished my Warspears this week. After taking the pics and looking at the other models I was photographing I realized I missed a highlight layer on the cloth. As always with pics I saw some spots that need cleanup that I've fixed too. But I don't want to redo the pics. Also since I had the lights and camera setup I got pics of models I finished last summer but didn't get pics of yet.

These are pretty sweet, dude.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

PantsOptional posted:

Pretty sure that's a pen case for a moderately high-end pen (probably a fountain pen).

Tissot primarily makes watches, so I'd guess that's a watch case. What about something like this?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

parabolic posted:

Tissot primarily makes watches, so I'd guess that's a watch case. What about something like this?
Thanks for the link. I looked at a similar one that I might get. At least the zipper enclosure is kinda like my current brush case. Give the brushes to my little cousins.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
hey

I want to make a REALLY cheap dry erase matt I can use for D&D purposes

I was thinking of getting contact paper, what has grids on the bit you throw away, and then simply sticking the contact paper to the grid paper

thoughts????

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The cheapest would be probably to get just a large poster with grids on it then go and get it laminated at Kinkos. I've used those before, at most you're going to spend like 10 bucks.

You can even email the grid to Kinkos and they'll print it at what size you want and laminate it for you for a small fee.

That's the most cost effective is just getting a big laminated piece at Kinkos since they have the big giant laminating machines.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I dont know the gently caress a Kinkos is brother

where can I get something laminated in england for like no money

hello

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's a Printing and Copying store, I don't know what they have in Not-America. Any professional print service usually has a lamination machine, it's usually less than 10 dollars in the US. I don't know what that translates into in England.

It's seems you have Staples stores in England they do Lamination.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
awesome thank you brother